Top AFL prospect Jacob Weitering

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Top AFL prospect Jacob Weitering

Looks like he could be a handy pickup. Of course a talented midfielder would be nice too. From the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 7337579383

"TOP player agent Liam Pickering has signed this year’s potential No. 1 draft pick Jacob Weitering.

The athletic 195cm key defender from Dandenong Stingrays is a strong overhead mark and has encouraged recruiters with his ability to run hard through the midfield.

He averaged 22 disposals, five rebound 50m, three intercept marks and 120 SuperCoach points in his two TAC Cup games this year.

Weitering, 17, also bolstered his stocks in two AFL academy games against senior VFL teams, Werribee and Northern Blues, averaging 81 per cent disposal efficiency and three intercept marks.
The key defender was trusted with the kick-in duties last year, with the Stingrays retaining possession from 21 of his 24 kick-ins at a percentage of 88 per cent, according to Champion Data.

The Herald Sun confirmed he has joined Pickering’s stable at Precision Sports Management.

Pickering has overseen some of the biggest player moves in the game in recent years and also handles out-of-contract Brisbane Lion James Aish, who is also tipped to depart at season’s end.

St Kilda ($2.20), Brisbane ($2.30), Gold Coast ($10) and Carlton ($10) are the favoured to finish with the least wins, according to Sportsbet.com.au, and claim this year’s top pick."

summertime and the living is easy ........
Winmar
Club Player

Re: Top AFL prospect Jacob Weitering

It'd be interesting for a key defender to go so high. Doesn't sound like he's your average key defender though. Will keep an eye out for his name through the year.

Intresting also re Aish. Prior to that draft (2012?) people were saying that he'd be a risky pick, because there would be a reasonable chance he'd want to go back to Adelaide.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If we cant find a great mid with our first and second picks I will spew up. You can get by with a fair backline if you have great mids. We need great mids.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Love the kid and I know Trout does too. But surely pick one or two goes on a Darcy and not a defender.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
FQF
SS Life Member

Mids.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

He trained with the Saints over summer

FQF
SS Life Member

The good thing is, that if Brisbane finish at the bottom, because they are so desperately in need of a forward, we might be able to get the best mid in the draft and avoid another spoon at the same time. Win win.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

jesus christ its a bit early isnt it?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

This story was pretty much entirely written by Liam Pickering. Take it with a grain of salt.

falka
Club Player

If we rated him the best available at our first Pick, we would have a 10 Year Spine with Weitering, Goddard, Bruce and McCartin. Add to that Hickey and Longer in Rucks and Tall stocks look good.
I agree we need mids, but they are easier to find then key position prospects.
I suppose if we could get say a Sheil or Treloar (via PSD - yes unlikely) then I think it looks good to go KPD.

Anyway, all will be revealed in November!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

falka wrote:If we rated him the best available at our first Pick, we would have a 10 Year Spine with Weitering, Goddard, Bruce and McCartin. Add to that Hickey and Longer in Rucks and Tall stocks look good.
I suppose if we could get say a Sheil or Treloar (via PSD - yes unlikely) then I think it looks good to go KPD.

You get the feeling we might be looking at doing that at the moment. We probably could do with a KPB to replace Fisher in case the Tom lee experiment doesn't work. Mids from the new franchises returning home and FA should get a bit of a boost to the midfield. We are still yet to see how far Ross or Saunders has come yet and then the natural improvement in guys like Webster, Roberton, Wright, Newnes, Billings, Eli, Sinclair, Savage etc might see them eventually move in there not to mention both Acres and Mc Kenzie are hopefully the next Nat Fyfes. Warren still has a few years left too.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
falka wrote:If we rated him the best available at our first Pick, we would have a 10 Year Spine with Weitering, Goddard, Bruce and McCartin. Add to that Hickey and Longer in Rucks and Tall stocks look good.

You get the feeling we might be looking at doing that at the moment. We probably could do with a KPB to replace Fisher in case the Tom lee experiment doesn't work. Mids from the new franchises returning home and FA should get a bit of a boost to the midfield. We are still yet to see how far Ross or Saunders has come yet and then the natural improvement in guys like Webster, Roberton, Wright, Newnes, Billings, Eli, Sinclair, Savage etc might see them eventually move in there not to mention both Acres and Mc Kenzie are hopefully the next Nat Fyfes. Warren still has a few years left too.

Please no.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Please no.
There is the line of thought that Weitering could eventually move into the Midfield - "The Stingrays coach has told AFL media that if he didn’t have the injury he would of played stints in the midfield"

He has played 2 games thus far in this seasons TAC Cup and averages 22 disposals and 7 marks - so far his kicking stats read 23 effective kicks to 4 ineffective kicks so it seems his kicking skills are at least up to scratch - At 195cm and a bottom ager (born in late November) he is an intriging prospect

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Please no.
There is the line of thought that Weitering could eventually move into the Midfield - "The Stingrays coach has told AFL media that if he didn’t have the injury he would of played stints in the midfield"

He has played 2 games thus far in this seasons TAC Cup and averages 22 disposals and 7 marks - so far his kicking stats read 23 effective kicks to 4 ineffective kicks so it seems his kicking skills are at least up to scratch - At 195cm and a bottom ager (born in late November) he is an intriging prospect

If he is a bottom ager does that mean he isn't even in this draft? If he turns out this season he can play mid then that's fine but when was the last KP back to be in the top 2 or 3 picks?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Weitering was playing midfield however had a growth spurt. He's now a monster and still growing. Very good runner from playing as a mid as a junior but now considered certain kpp. High production defender that will accumulate plenty of ball and get midfield stats anyway. Want.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Late birthday not bottom ager

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

If he is a bottom ager does that mean he isn't even in this draft? If he turns out this season he can play mid then that's fine but when was the last KP back to be in the top 2 or 3 picks?
His bottom age for this years crop ie: born late November 1997 - as stated - compared to say Tucker who was born Jan 1997 - 11 months difference - effectively a whole year

I think OM might have answered your second question above

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Out of interest, who was the last Key Defender picked up with a top 5 draft pick ?

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Out of interest, who was the last Key Defender picked up with a top 5 draft pick ?
Caleb Marchbank went 6 last year to GWS - Key Defender
Matthew Scharenberg went 6 in 2013 to Collingwood - Running Defender
Lachlan Plowman went 3 in 2012 to GWS - Key Defender
Matthew Buntine went 5 in 2011 to GWS - Running Defender
Sam Day went 3 in 2010 to Gold Coast - can play as a Key Foward/Defender
2009 - all mids
Michael Hurley went 5 to Essendon in 2008 - can play as a Key Foward/Defender
2007 - rucks/mids/forwards
Lachlan Hansen went 3 to North in 2006 - Key Defender
2005 - mids/forwards
2004 - mids/forwards

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Bontempelli style height and class?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Verdun Howell, our greatest ever full back, came over from Tassy as a Centreman, but won a Brownlow for us as a fullback. He was more a centremans size than a fullbacks.
He is still my favourite Saint.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Verdun Howell, our greatest ever full back, came over from Tassy as a Centreman, but won a Brownlow for us as a fullback. He was more a centremans size than a fullbacks.
He is still my favourite Saint.

You should have a picture of him in your avatar.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If Weitering is the best player available and is there for our pick, then we take him. Simple.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:If Weitering is the best player available and is there for our pick, then we take him. Simple.

If there was another McCartin the draft this year and he was the best would you take him. I wouldn't. I don't like the idea of a KP back being the number one pick. No history of it working. Unless a player is Riewoldt dominate we need the best mid not a CHB. If by the end of this year this player can play as a mid well that's a different story but if he plays as a key I reckon that isn't what we want.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would not take him either, but what I am suggesting with the Verdun Howell post, is maybe he can win us a brownlow as a mid? You never know.