Do we start worrying about Paddy McCartin?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do we start worrying about Paddy McCartin?

Dragit and satchmo you crack me up...

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

We will never have to start worrying about Paddy

Best leave that to opposition teams and BigMart

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

He's worn out my patience

mohannair
Club Player

Thx a lot for sharing this info 4everSaint!!
4ever_saint wrote:Nick Riewoldt in his first season (though, if I'm not mistaken, he spent a lot of time down back):

1st Game (R15 2001): 3 disposals, 1 mark, 0 goals
2nd Game (R16 2001): 13 disposals, 8 marks, 0 goals
3rd Game (R17 2001): 19 disposals, 7 marks, 0 goals
4th Game (R18 2001): 7 disposals, 3 marks, 0 goals
5th Game (R21) 2001): 6 disposals, 4 marks, 2 goals
6th Game (R22 2001): 9 disposals, 3 marks, 0 goals

*St Kilda finished 15th in 2001

Brendan Fevola had 2 handballs in his first year. Played 2 matches, 1 handball in each game 8-)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Was horrible on the weekend against the bulldogs. Was unseen all day.

Good thread. Will read again.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Paddy seems to have the skills and ball sense, but gee I would like to see a bit more aggression at the contest for a big guy, still playing like a schoolboy whereas Sinclair and Lonie for young guys are punching above their weight, and that's what Paddy needs to do.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I don't know but somehow I feel Schnieder is behind all this. He is taking money that could be spent on something like kicking boots for Paddy or palm glue or something. I don't know why they don't just play us a man down instead of taking up space on the field with his funny haircut.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't know but somehow I feel Schnieder is behind all this. He is taking money that could be spent on something like kicking boots for Paddy or palm glue or something. I don't know why they don't just play us a man down instead of taking up space on the field with his funny haircut.
All good points, let's also not forget the FACT that he is teaching these young kids how to lose by missing easy crucial goals.

RODOS
Club Player

I still maintain that we should have taken Bont over McCartin. Delist ASAP

in a few years all we'll be doing is cashing in on the coleman and drinking collingwood's tears out of our many premiership cups.

The Recruit
Club Player

Great attack on the footy, leader attitude and willing to work hard. He will be a 200+ gamer.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

fmd its 5 weeks into a first season for him
next year youd be looking hard at him to make the cut

jesus christ :shock:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

"Paddy McCartin's playing in the seconds and he shouldn't be worried about that. I hope the Saints are just telling him to relax and enjoy his footy."
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/d ... gzad4.html

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
"Paddy McCartin's playing in the seconds and he shouldn't be worried about that. I hope the Saints are just telling him to relax and enjoy his footy."
They also made mention of Squibbs, Murphy and Loser. Whoops, sorry need to stop bagging Caarlton. Can't help it though!

Maybe looking at that pathetic team and equally pathetic Dees and Watts it's about how you manage your number 1 picks also

Roos likes to whinge

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
They also made mention of Squibbs, Murphy and Loser. Whoops, sorry need to stop bagging Caarlton. Can't help it though!

Maybe looking at that pathetic team and equally pathetic Dees and Watts it's about how you manage your number 1 picks also

Roos likes to whinge
He doesn't do it as well as some on here.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Don't worry, the boy can play. Just needs to build fitness and add a bit of weight. He reads the play beautifully and has a few tricks (unlike Boyd who seems to be a mark - kick player at this stage). Be patient.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:

Roos likes to whinge
I'd have Watts in a heartbeat. May still turn out to be a better investment than Natinui.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I don't know but somehow I feel Schnieder is behind all this. He is taking money that could be spent on something like kicking boots for Paddy or palm glue or something. I don't know why they don't just play us a man down instead of taking up space on the field with his funny haircut.
Excellent work Gringo. Very funny. If you play those Schneiderman interviews backwards it's clear that he's an enemy agent.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Not worried in the slightest.

We can just enjoy watching the team develop while Paddy gently percolates away at Sandy.

Nothing at all to worry about Image
Change his name to Paddy Moccona and he's alright by me

Furphy
Club Player

I don't think Paddy was a top ten draft pick, but he will improve. Petracca was the obvious choice.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Paddy shouldn't have even played in that match against Collingwood, nor the match after that. He was not ready. It was a colossal baptism in fire for the lad. Unfortunately we were hit badly with injuries and the selection committee thought it was worth a gamble. Nevertheless, he has been given a taste of what it is like at the elite level. Hopefully he will play his next match in the bigs when he is 100% ready. Before Round 1, Richo made the point that both Paddy and HG wouldn't be ready for some time. Patience is a virtue.
Furphy wrote:I don't think Paddy was a top ten draft pick
What do you base this on? He seemed to show all the attributes of a top 10 draft choice last year.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Don't worry, the boy can play. Just needs to build fitness and add a bit of weight. He reads the play beautifully and has a few tricks (unlike Boyd who seems to be a mark - kick player at this stage). Be patient.
I think he needs to lose weight (not add a bit of weight). He needs to get his muscle definition as I think he still has some puppy fat at the moment but he's still a big kid now playing a mans game. He also needs to learn to stick those marks (he dropped a number of sitters on Saturday).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The two big deficiencies Paddy has right now which make him unsuitable for AFL footy are his complete lack of a tank and his inability to consistently hold simple marks. The tank will only improve with time, and the marking will only improve with confidence; he was an outstanding mark in the juniors and overhead marking is the first skill to go when you lack confidence. He should not have been anywhere near the senior team yet this year and it was a mistake to play him against Collingwood which I suspect has hurt his confidence.

It certainly would have been nice if he kicked a couple or pulled down a couple of contested marks in his senior appearances to demonstrate some of that raw 'number one pick' talent, but I don't think it's time to start seriously worrying. I personally thought Petracca was the clear number one pick - elite ballwinner, amazing contested mark, powerful runner and natural goalkicker. But our recruiters have been outstanding in recent years and I'm sure they put more work into pick one than we could imagine. The only concern in the back of my mind is that the recruiters potentially could have been over ruled by the list managers after seeing Boyd command an absurd amount of money and also Patton doing his second ACL and re-signing. It would not surprise me if our plan was to snag a GWS forward when they had all of Cameron, Patton, Boyd and McCarthy fit and firing.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:I don't think Paddy was a top ten draft pick, but he will improve. Petracca was the obvious choice.
none of these guys have played yet

6 Caleb Marchbank
7 Paul Ahern
8 Peter Wright
9 Darcy Moore

What do you base your information on?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:The two big deficiencies Paddy has right now which make him unsuitable for AFL footy are his complete lack of a tank and his inability to consistently hold simple marks. The tank will only improve with time, and the marking will only improve with confidence; he was an outstanding mark in the juniors and overhead marking is the first skill to go when you lack confidence. He should not have been anywhere near the senior team yet this year and it was a mistake to play him against Collingwood which I suspect has hurt his confidence.

It certainly would have been nice if he kicked a couple or pulled down a couple of contested marks in his senior appearances to demonstrate some of that raw 'number one pick' talent, but I don't think it's time to start seriously worrying. I personally thought Petracca was the clear number one pick - elite ballwinner, amazing contested mark, powerful runner and natural goalkicker. But our recruiters have been outstanding in recent years and I'm sure they put more work into pick one than we could imagine. The only concern in the back of my mind is that the recruiters potentially could have been over ruled by the list managers after seeing Boyd command an absurd amount of money and also Patton doing his second ACL and re-signing. It would not surprise me if our plan was to snag a GWS forward when they had all of Cameron, Patton, Boyd and McCarthy fit and firing.

I don't buy this confidence thing and even if true it comes back quickly. McCartin was going best of the talls in the seconds when he played. Its all hindsight because he struggled. If he didn't play people would be whinging about him not playing. He will be fine. Its a silly thread.

RW&B
Club Player

I do agree with Roos, I think the draft age should be raised by 12months. They could focus on their VCE, the TAC cup players would play senior footy, they'd have to work in some capacity, they'd be 12 months more physically and mentally mature. What's the downside?

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007