Anyone got news on Acres?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Anyone got news on Acres?

So we have a gun with the silk of pendlebury, the passing of dal, the drive of goddard, and the freakishness of fyfe?
from a glass half empty perspective - just our luck we don't have four individual players aligned with just one each.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
dragit
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Vazelos wrote:Thanks guys, still a lot to learn about Acres. He & Markworth are still very much enigmas
Definition: a person or thing that is mysterious or difficult to understand.
I don't think so.
It's actually a pretty apt description, both are talked up a lot, but we haven't seen them do anything at AFL level -yet.
Still early days. Second year on the list. Has only played 4 games. Injury affected first year. I realise you're not potting him Dragit.
There is though a bit of a tendency to have super high expectations of our young guys. They can't all develop at the same rate.
I'm feeling really optimistic that we have a bunch of young guys who will go on to be quality players. Acres could be one too. Needs time.
Absolutely, I'm not saying they're no good...

It's the Tommy Walsh/messiah scenario where they get built up so much - as evidenced in this thread (Pendlebury, Fyfe, Dal santo ect) it can be hard to temper expectations.

The club must love what they've seen of acres given his long term deal... Hopefully Markworth gets a few games later this year so they can make a comfortable call on him, incredible pressure though trying to prove yourself in just a few games after very little football. Acres has plenty of time, Markworth has very little if any.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Also worth remembering that Acres missed a lot of his under 18s year. Some pundits had him up there with the top handful of prospects that year.

Hes coming from a fair way back but he is already showing he is a class above VFL.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
st.byron wrote:
dragit wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
Vazelos wrote:Thanks guys, still a lot to learn about Acres. He & Markworth are still very much enigmas
Definition: a person or thing that is mysterious or difficult to understand.
I don't think so.
It's actually a pretty apt description, both are talked up a lot, but we haven't seen them do anything at AFL level -yet.
Still early days. Second year on the list. Has only played 4 games. Injury affected first year. I realise you're not potting him Dragit.
There is though a bit of a tendency to have super high expectations of our young guys. They can't all develop at the same rate.
I'm feeling really optimistic that we have a bunch of young guys who will go on to be quality players. Acres could be one too. Needs time.
Absolutely, I'm not saying they're no good...

It's the Tommy Walsh/messiah scenario where they get built up so much - as evidenced in this thread (Pendlebury, Fyfe, Dal santo ect) it can be hard to temper expectations.

The club must love what they've seen of acres given his long term deal... Hopefully Markworth gets a few games later this year so they can make a comfortable call on him, incredible pressure though trying to prove yourself in just a few games after very little football. Acres has plenty of time, Markworth has very little if any.

Absolutely brutal system. I have a mate who's nephew's career was over after one injury riddled year at Collingwood when they were at their peak. He is still getting surgery to fix all the ailments he got in his brief tenure. He copped so much crap on social media like he had deliberately %$#@ed over the club. It was a big eye opener to me and the reason I try to give all players a go.
It's pretty quickly a nightmare if all the promise fails to eventuate. Siposs is another example of a guy who came with high hopes but the fans soon get bored and rip into these guys describing all their failing as human beings as to why they haven't made an impact. I remember an article that was an interview with Zac Dawson's mum. It was really sad that what should be an immense sense of pride to that family was a living hell for them. It is actually pretty shameful really.
I have met Markworth and he's a smart guy and really should go on to bigger and better things even if he is cut. It will be a big shame if we don't get to see what he could have been at least though.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Actually on that there was a loud mouth that was absolutely ripping into Sinclair sitting just around from the cheer squad. I'm not sure why he hated him so much but was going absolutely mental. Swearing loudly and calling him s***, soft and weak. It was a very strange response seeing he seemed to be having a great game. It wasn't general- just about Sinclair? I thought he'd be a Dogs supporter but he was in a saints scarf. There are some pretty special people at the football.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Also worth remembering that Acres missed a lot of his under 18s year. Some pundits had him up there with the top handful of prospects that year.

Hes coming from a fair way back but he is already showing he is a class above VFL.
Reminds me of another current player, past his best, who wasn't top draft pick because of doubts about a shoulder injury.
No pressure Blake.

The Recruit
Club Player

Gun.
Will be in our best five players one day.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pmsl i just opened this thread on the last page and saw the sig

gold

minneapolis
Club Player

Clean hands. Very good aerobically. Talented. Good decision maker. Outside class.

Comments?

http://boundforglorynews.com/2013-draft ... ake-acres/

http://madmondayshow.com/2013/07/12/pla ... ake-acres/

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintbob
SS Life Member

Blake will get a fair chunk of games this year, and will definitely cement his position in the team by year's end.