We will target Sloane at end of season!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mohannair
Club Player

We will target Sloane at end of season!!

After hearing from Ox on SEN last night, here comes the confirmation!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7356572845

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: We will target Sloane at end of season!!

Oh I hope so.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

I know I am in the minority, but I do not rate Sloane as nearly as high as others, and for that reason I am not so concerned about getting him to the club unless it is heavily on our terms, which is unlikely.

I think he has some significant limitations in his game, and is not worth anywhere near the same as other possible options such as Treloar, Shiel and potentially Whitfield. He's really on Nathan Jones level for mine. I'm not sure anyone here would be as keen to get Jones to the Saints, as good a player as he is. Very little difference in output.

I would not pay him more than 500-600k pa, or use our first round pick (likely to be top 5) in any negotiations. For that reason I dont see a way we can get him without taking a risk on a player that will be 26 yo at the beginning of next year, when we are still not in finals contention.

Whilst it hasn't been mentioned on here, it has been bandied around about recruiting him as Captain. That would be a horrible, Carlton like mistake IMO and I hope we dont jump the gun and try and fast track our development and performance on the back of a few good signs this year. Stick to the process and it'll continue to flourish.

*All this applies to Dangerfield also who's reputation does not really match his output. Strong feeling he'll be at Carlton next year anyway, take over from where Juddy will leave off.

supersaints
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:I know I am in the minority, but I do not rate Sloane as nearly as high as others, and for that reason I am not so concerned about getting him to the club unless it is heavily on our terms, which is unlikely.

I think he has some significant limitations in his game, and is not worth anywhere near the same as other possible options such as Treloar, Shiel and potentially Whitfield. He's really on Nathan Jones level for mine. I'm not sure anyone here would be as keen to get Jones to the Saints, as good a player as he is. Very little difference in output.

I would not pay him more than 500-600k pa, or use our first round pick (likely to be top 5) in any negotiations. For that reason I dont see a way we can get him without taking a risk on a player that will be 26 yo at the beginning of next year, when we are still not in finals contention.

Whilst it hasn't been mentioned on here, it has been bandied around about recruiting him as Captain. That would be a horrible, Carlton like mistake IMO and I hope we dont jump the gun and try and fast track our development and performance on the back of a few good signs this year. Stick to the process and it'll continue to flourish.

*All this applies to Dangerfield also who's reputation does not really match his output. Strong feeling he'll be at Carlton next year anyway, take over from where Juddy will leave off.
Got to agree on all points, great Player but would prefer Sheil or Treloar, I expect Armo to be our captain next year, I think by the end of the season he will more than deserve it.
It's so important we don't Pay over the odds or offer the captaincy carrot.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:I know I am in the minority, but I do not rate Sloane as nearly as high as others, and for that reason I am not so concerned about getting him to the club unless it is heavily on our terms, which is unlikely.

I agree with you Sobraz. If we have to give up a high draft pick to get Sloane, I'd rather target an up and coming young gun 4 or 5 years younger.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Too much of a brass band, I'm suspicious

The Recruit
Club Player

Treloar is going to Collingwood so forget him.

It's between Shiel and Sloan. Shiel for me but why not get both.....we have the cap for both and if we give up our first pick for Sloan and get Shiel in PSD...2018 starts to shape up to be a nice year to add to that trophy cabinet.....at Morrabin.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Too much of a brass band, I'm suspicious
The smoke is becoming a raging fire - it almost does seem too obvious. Is just this a way to shake someone out by advertising how serious we are about getting a FA?
We’ll look at the end of the year and if someone like Sloane is there then we would look at it because he is an outstanding player and he is an outstanding person
Jeez Alan, could you suck up his arse anymore? Please join our team, we think you're such a super excellent spiffing guy. We're coming across as desperate. And what is Sloane's and Dangerfields deal wanting out? At least Buddy, Ablett and Judd achieved things at their clubs and wanted a fresh challenge. Where is Sloanes' "stick-to-it-ness" and loyalty to a club that has spent hundreds of thousands of him? These guys who go running home to mummy or girlfriends when still young worry me. Doesn't show great character or willingness to see something through in my eyes.

This is where Pelchen leaving worries me. I think his cold, calculating, reptilian long-game eyes were a good antidote to over exuberant coaches who can get swept up with a couple games of success. Pelchen may have created a lot of tension but that can be a really good thing to keep asking the hard questions and being creative and taking the longer road because it builds a stronger base.

Its easy for coaches to get ahead of themselves when they look around and see young talent building up and feel the next logical step is "complement those young blokes". They start to get ambitious and that seductive temptress called "finals" begins its beguiling siren call. But the reality we don't know if any of our young players will make it, barring Billings, despite some good early signs. In fact statistics will say some of them won't make it. You've seen the pitfalls with Carlton and Richmond who loaded up with some outstanding young talent early and thought that was enough. Even St Kilda I think stopped getting the young talent in too early and relied too much on big bodied poor skilled b-graders later to fill gaps for flag tilts.

Lets go the course rather than getting other players in to make us rise too early and miss out on draft picks. So many clubs have advantages over us. Hawks and Collingwood - money and resources. GWS and GC draft picks. Sydney and Brisbane salary cap, academies and AFL backing. Our advantage is we have the most loyal fans in Australia. We are wooden spooners but still have 32000 members! Strength through loyalty. Our fans will stick with us even after a few more years of being down the bottom. Lets use that to do the rebuild right.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

I'm in the top 5 pick no deal group. And we have nthing else to offer because you don't complete the puzzle by trading what you do have for what your missing. You just end up with another hole. I don't misnd offering decent coin if it's front loaded.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
The smoke is becoming a raging fire - it almost does seem too obvious. Is just this a way to shake someone out by advertising how serious we are about getting a FA?
We’ll look at the end of the year and if someone like Sloane is there then we would look at it because he is an outstanding player and he is an outstanding person
Jeez Alan, could you suck up his arse anymore? Please join our team, we think you're such a super excellent spiffing guy. We're coming across as desperate. And what is Sloane's and Dangerfields deal wanting out? At least Buddy, Ablett and Judd achieved things at their clubs and wanted a fresh challenge. Where is Sloanes' "stick-to-it-ness" and loyalty to a club that has spent hundreds of thousands of him? These guys who go running home to mummy or girlfriends when still young worry me. Doesn't show great character or willingness to see something through in my eyes.

This is where Pelchen leaving worries me. I think his cold, calculating, reptilian long-game eyes were a good antidote to over exuberant coaches who can get swept up with a couple games of success. Pelchen may have created a lot of tension but that can be a really good thing to keep asking the hard questions and being creative and taking the longer road because it builds a stronger base.

Its easy for coaches to get ahead of themselves when they look around and see young talent building up and feel the next logical step is "complement those young blokes". They start to get ambitious and that seductive temptress called "finals" begins its beguiling siren call. But the reality we don't know if any of our young players will make it, barring Billings, despite some good early signs. In fact statistics will say some of them won't make it. You've seen the pitfalls with Carlton and Richmond who loaded up with some outstanding young talent early and thought that was enough. Even St Kilda I think stopped getting the young talent in too early and relied too much on big bodied poor skilled b-graders later to fill gaps for flag tilts.

Lets go the course rather than getting other players in to make us rise too early and miss out on draft picks. So many clubs have advantages over us. Hawks and Collingwood - money and resources. GWS and GC draft picks. Sydney and Brisbane salary cap, academies and AFL backing. Our advantage is we have the most loyal fans in Australia. We are wooden spooners but still have 32000 members! Strength through loyalty. Our fans will stick with us even after a few more years of being down the bottom. Lets use that to do the rebuild right.

I know you are joking because that post couldn't be serious.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

No doubt that Sloane is a very good player

BUT you get ahead by deals to advantage, and as he is not a free agent he will not be cheap as he is in his prime.

After having let many good players go I am not sure who we could now trade that the Crows would want that we would not suffer by losing.

Jacobs is only 27..in hs prime and so I cannot see them wanting one of ours. Good mids is what they would want, and what we are already short of. I mean you you want to get Sloane, but lose Dunstan?

No...we need a good FA rather than a star that we have to trade for.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote: It's so important we don't pay over the odds
Correct, it ballses up the entire pay structure and causes grief and jealously among the young and improving brigade. We've got to get the timing right. If we're genuinely pushing for a flag and a genuine superstar is up for grabs, then yes. Otherwise, develop our own.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Welcome to this year everyone.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Welcome to this year everyone.
You've been on the ball re Sloane for a while now. What's the word on the street?

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Too soon to give up a top five pick for anyone.

Just my opinion. We need another draft with 3 picks in the top 30.

Another injection of a few really skillful players would be better than one underwhelming free agent.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Middo
Club Player

Take him in a heartbeat if he's keen to move to us , would be our best midfielder the day he signs with us and give us the class , run , and toughness we need to start heading back to the finals quicker.
We just need to get the right deal and hold onto a high pick for another classy mid.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

If someone as good as Sloane wants to come to us, of course we'd take him. Crazy that some of us wouldn't want to bring in the absolute a grade mids that we need.

We have a great list management team in place, Bains is a gun and pretty sure he overseas player contracts. We have a war chest, so why wouldn't we use it.

We are building a set of potentially very good players, every opportunity to add a grade to that needs to be taken with open arms.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think its a year too early to go chasing free agents.

Happy to be proven wrong. I have no idea who will be available at the end of the 2016 season.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I made a fool of myself on another similar thread re Sloan. He is not a free agent until 2016, although that may be a positived in negotiations with Adelaide. Like, take what we offer this year, or get nothing next year. Of course Sloan would have to play his part.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I made a fool of myself on another similar thread re Sloan. He is not a free agent until 2016, although that may be a positived in negotiations with Adelaide. Like, take what we offer this year, or get nothing next year. Of course Sloan would have to play his part.
But they would get FA compo wouldn't they? As we did for BJ and Dal.

So if our offer is less than what they perceive they may receive from the AFL in another 12 months, they may well tell us to go jump.

Or another Vic club could come in and do a deal that satisfied both Sloane and Adelaide.

I'd like to hope we can get him but I don't think we should overplay the whole out of contract/free agent next year/saints supporter as a kid stuff.

Luckily we've got some smart people to handle all this stuff.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

He was pick #44 - 9 years ago, has not made an AA team, has not won a B&f...

If we give up a top 5 pick for him we are mad.

Good player, but not as a trade in our position.
Last edited by dragit on Sat 16 May 2015 12:57am, edited 1 time in total.

elizabethr
Club Player

<edited by mods> little chap

<warning issued>

nothing to say
dragit
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Faggot little chap
:shock:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Where is Sloanes' "stick-to-it-ness" and loyalty to a club that has spent hundreds of thousands of him? These guys who go running home to mummy or girlfriends when still young worry me. Doesn't show great character or willingness to see something through in my eyes.
Correct me if I am wrong.... maybe 'matrix' can answer.

Does the Sloane Ranger....really want to go running home to mummy? Didn't I read that his parents relocated to SA some time after he was drafted (as did Roo's parents from Qld to Vic)? Has his mummy retuned to Melbourne or still with his Daddy in SA?

Also isn't his girlfriend/partner/wife(?) an SA girl? The 'Cupid Impact' starts to click in then. Most times the partners(??) - especially if there are any off-spring involved - they often influence footballing hubby (in this case Sloane) to remain in the State where she ( the girlfriend/partner/wife) has family support/friends. Just musing....................??

I'm a bit like SainterK................... too much of a brass band, now the conductor seems to have perscussion, woodwind and the strings joining in. Smokescreen perhaps??

elizabethr
Club Player

dragit wrote:
elizabethr wrote:Faggot little chap
:shock:
Yey dragie

nothing to say