Changes v Hawks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Hawks

Sobraz wrote:If our midfield gets annihilated it won't matter if we have Silvagni, Jakovich, Spud and Barker in the back 6, we'd get opened up and scored against heavily, such is Hawthorns precision and skill.

We hold our own through the middle, guys like Schoenmakers won't be as much of an issue.
Pretty much right. Shoenmakers is not very good and the least of our worries. Coach might want the extra runner - especially as we have two ruckmen already.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:
FQF wrote:If they bring in Schoenmakers and we leave out Goddard we'll be truly stuffed. We may end up seeing Bruce go back to the backline mid match.

It concerned me that when Richo was asked in the presser if we needed more height in defence, he said that the defence held up really well against Brisbane and they like the balance they've got. Is that a serious answer? Sides need to be picked based on the opposition and we played last week against a team with zero decent key forwards and this week against a team with at least 3.

I agree with most that Lee would probably have been a more suitable in but now that Goddard is selected, we must back him in.
If Richardson doesn't play Lee or Goddard he is clueless or tanking. There is no other explanation.

Or he knows more than you.
Of course he does. He is the coach.

Unless he plays Dempster as the second KPB in which case he is clueless or tanking.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Sobraz wrote:If our midfield gets annihilated it won't matter if we have Silvagni, Jakovich, Spud and Barker in the back 6, we'd get opened up and scored against heavily, such is Hawthorns precision and skill.

We hold our own through the middle, guys like Schoenmakers won't be as much of an issue.
Pretty much right. Shoenmakers is not very good and the least of our worries. Coach might want the extra runner - especially as we have two ruckmen already.

Agree. Lets put Geary on Roughead. That will show them.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
FQF wrote:If they bring in Schoenmakers and we leave out Goddard we'll be truly stuffed. We may end up seeing Bruce go back to the backline mid match.

It concerned me that when Richo was asked in the presser if we needed more height in defence, he said that the defence held up really well against Brisbane and they like the balance they've got. Is that a serious answer? Sides need to be picked based on the opposition and we played last week against a team with zero decent key forwards and this week against a team with at least 3.

I agree with most that Lee would probably have been a more suitable in but now that Goddard is selected, we must back him in.
It's a really weird selection. Hawthorn will probably have 65 inside 50s and he'll be making his debut playing on a Coleman Medallist or a dual premiership player who's a couple of inches taller than him. Sounds like a recipe for sure-fire failure, no matter how good he is. Not to mention that he seems to be more of a stay-at-home defender, so along with Delaney we'll have two guys who don't give much rebound.

Still, benefit of the doubt until 6:30pm Sunday, I guess.

I doubt he will play. We probably know we are weak in defence anyway so we are going to have to beat them in the midfield to have any chance.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Lee has another year on his contract - why would his papers be stamped just because he didnt get picked 18 months before his contract expires??

He is playing good footy in the ressies which is great but he still needs to bulk up a bit and i would say work on his endurance - I dont see the point of bringing him in against probably the most potent forwardline in the game - a dent in his confidence is the last thing he needs

No doubt the coaches talk to him and he knows why he is still playing in the ressies and by all accounts he is listening to them and making steady headway - Some players have a playing style and a maturity suited to senior football from the get go - others need to work at it

Lee will get his chance soon enough but I am happy to see him continue to develop in the ressies and work on aspects of his game that require improvement

For the Hawks Lewis will come in for Puopolo

For the Saints I think Ray for Dunstan, Curren for Weller, Savage for McKenzie and Goddard for Shenton

Ross probably needs another week or two in the ressies - Minchington unlucky

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
elvis lives
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Unfortunate Lee isnt getting an opportunity given he has re-invented himself as a defender.

Re-drafting Saad and then playing him in the first five games show the coaches don't get it right 100% of time. Sure they mostly get it right and know a lot more than the fans - but that doesnt make them perfect omniscient oracles either. They are human. And even if they were oracles - if we cant criticize selection on a footy forum we might as well just close SS down.
Well said con, summed up my position exactly

I am marching in the Saints army
#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

It's a really weird selection. Hawthorn will probably have 65 inside 50s and he'll be making his debut playing on a Coleman Medallist or a dual premiership player who's a couple of inches taller than him. Sounds like a recipe for sure-fire failure, no matter how good he is. Not to mention that he seems to be more of a stay-at-home defender, so along with Delaney we'll have two guys who don't give much rebound.

I doubt he will play. We probably know we are weak in defence anyway so we are going to have to beat them in the midfield to have any chance.
Maybe we should drop Delaney too and replace him with Ross. Good for the midfield rotations.
Do you know anything about football Plugger? Last week you argued we couldn't bring in height in the backline because Brisbane is too short. This week we can't bring in height because Hawks are too....what? Shoenmakers and Hale are too good?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Maybe we should drop Delaney too and replace him with Ross. Good for the midfield rotations.
Do you know anything about football Plugger? Last week you argued we couldn't bring in height in the backline because Brisbane is too short. This week we can't bring in height because Hawks are too....what? Shoenmakers and Hale are too good?

Well lets see who knows anything about footy. Last week you wanted more height even though Brisbane were midgets and that was proven wrong. This week you are using 2 very ordinary footballers to bring in more height. Yep maybe we need it but it wont be because of those 2. And then you say do I know anything about footy. You do realise I don't pick the side but I also don't think they will play Goddard. If they don't does that mean the coaches also know nothing? At the moment the only proof is you know nothing because of what happened last week. I will tell you one thing about this weeks game. We will lose but the issue wont be playing one or two tall backmen.

Score at the moment. Me one for one. You are fail for one.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Seriously? I thought we were talking about what we wanted to see. Last week you told me we couldn't have tall backs because Bris were short. This week we can't have tall backs because...

Structurally we are too short. If you cant see that you are blind

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Seriously? I thought we were talking about what we wanted to see. Last week you told me we couldn't have tall backs because Bris were short. This week we can't have tall backs because...

I picked Lee to play but I know they know more than me. I aint arrogant enough to think otherwise.

#gosaintas
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Seriously? I thought we were talking about what we wanted to see. Last week you told me we couldn't have tall backs because Bris were short. This week we can't have tall backs because...

I picked Lee to play but I know they know more than me. I aint arrogant enough to think otherwise.
Of course they know more than you (and me), they pick the side.
Sometimes it's hard to see what your problem is...we need height. We are structurally short and I am arguing for some height. I wanted it last week and you said what's the point, Brisbane are short. My view was let's play Lee or Hugh anyway. Selectors went your way. This week I want height again. I would have Lee and Hugh in the team.
Shortarse backlines don't work.

Anyway I always seem to be in an argument with you and I am sick of it.

RW&B
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Well lets see who knows anything about footy. Last week you wanted more height even though Brisbane were midgets and that was proven wrong. This week you are using 2 very ordinary footballers to bring in more height. Yep maybe we need it but it wont be because of those 2. And then you say do I know anything about footy. You do realise I don't pick the side but I also don't think they will play Goddard. If they don't does that mean the coaches also know nothing? At the moment the only proof is you know nothing because of what happened last week. I will tell you one thing about this weeks game. We will lose but the issue wont be playing one or two tall backmen.

Score at the moment. Me one for one. You are fail for one.
They have 3 tall forwards and we have 1.5 tall backs named in the starting 18. Surely Goddard will be selected?

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

felix wrote:Bit of an overreaction with lee , he has been a back men for how long a few weeks , .
He played down back in WA before he was moved forward. so he is no stranger to playing down back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Shoey may have also been brought in as both Roo and Bruce and endurance beasts and nether Lake nor Frawley are known fr their tanks.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
gringo
Saintsational Legend

We will still look mentally challenged playing Geary or Dempster on Hale or Mc Evoy.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wow that Hawthorn side is strong :shock:

Foll 18 Jonathon Ceglar 3 Jordan Lewis 26 Liam Shiels

FF 33 Cyril Rioli 20 David Hale 19 Jack Gunston

HF 22 Luke Breust 2 Jarryd Roughead 4 Matthew Suckling

C 10 Bradley Hill 15 Luke Hodge 16 Isaac Smith

HB 24 Ben Stratton 12 James Frawley 6 Josh Gibson

FB 9 Shaun Burgoyne 17 Brian Lake 5 Sam Mitchell

Is McEvoy injured or just not getting selected?

#gosaintas
Club Player

I think McEvoy is in the 2's

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Ben do a hammy.

8856brother wrote:Didn't Ben do a hammy.
Oh - my bad

FQF
SS Life Member

How will their defenders line up on us?

Lake - Hickey
Gibson - Bruce
Frawley - Riewoldt

Although they have three top notch backs, this seems to favour us a little. Roo will have any of those guys covered, and if Bruce can ensure that Gibson has to stay accountable and not drop off, we will be doing well.

Now to get them some sort of delivery...

stkfc1
Club Player

The main thing we need to worry about is their outside spread from clearances. They kill us with this everytime. We must make them accountable and not allow the easy handball out the back to a player running forward. They do this very well, it's almost like they have a extra man around the contest. We must be organised, man up, and give them no room to move it quickly.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't surprise me if we don't bring in height, why now?

A lot of hand wringing over Lee that I don't get personally.

dalboy
Club Player

Quite happy if Goddard plays ahead of Lee. I watched Sandy last week and he is ready. Lee played well also and was good by foot but so is Goddard.

Not sure about the grief on this forum over Lee??

Happiness is a warm pie!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Really want to watch Goddard play this week I just hope he doesn't get thrown to the wolves.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Changes v Hawks

dalboy wrote: Not sure about the grief on this forum over Lee??
No grief from me that Goddard may get a run

I do hope Lee's papers aren't stamped, though, as reportedly he's been very good for Sandringham in a new role.

This coincides with him having an injury-free run for the first time since he arrived.

Let's hope he hasn't been written off as a prospect or damned for being the choice of a previous coaching tenure/administration.

Good talls are hard to find, particularly ones who can kick.

But I'm delighted to see Goddard named in the extended squad and hope he makes the final cut. Will ultimately be the better of the Goddards Image
Last edited by bigcarl on Fri 05 Jun 2015 1:58pm, edited 1 time in total.