Just a dirty day in the office

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Just a dirty day in the office

plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I think that the job of the CEO of a professional sports club in a powerful league is far different to that of a football player playing 22 matches a year. I would prefer Finnis be smart rather than just a bull at a gate. So far, based on results, he's not the best we've had since I've been following the Saints, which is about 18 years.

Harsh Austinn.
Very, very harsh.

#gosaintas
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Austinnn wrote:I think that the job of the CEO of a professional sports club in a powerful league is far different to that of a football player playing 22 matches a year. I would prefer Finnis be smart rather than just a bull at a gate. So far, based on results, he's not the best we've had since I've been following the Saints, which is about 18 years.

Harsh Austinn.
Very, very harsh.
I think the "not" is a typo

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:
tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Harsh Austinn.
Very, very harsh.
I think the "not" is a typo

Yep I know that. Austinn is usually pretty positive and I know he likes Finnis.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I was at the game and the conditions were close to impossible.

Firstly, it's a funny shaped ground, long with hardly any pockets (like Kardinia Park), then there was a gale that swirled around inside the stadium for most of the match and the surface was spongy in areas.

As soon as I walked in I thought we'd be up against it. GWS knew the ground & trained on it, so they always had a huge advantage. I even thought to myself that maybe the shape of the ground was a Sheedy Conspiracy, but dismissed that theory as surely the ground was designed by others. At half time a local asked me what I thought about their little stadium. I commented on the grounds unusual dimensions, to which he replied "Yeah, Sheedy had it designed that way, exactly like Geelong's".
It appears Sheedy did indeed conspire to give them a significant home ground advantage! As they rise, they'll be near impossible to beat there.

Players weren't holding marks, because the ball would deviate in the wind a few feet from their hands, long kicking was difficult and the only player on the ground unaffected by all this was Jeremy Cameron and he was the difference between the sides at half time. After half time we had obviously worked out how to play the ground and wind and hence our domination for the next 35-40 minutes. Unfortunately, we were wasteful when dominating and then gifted GWS their first goal in 40 minutes.

It was hardly a shocker, I left the game pleased because we will be contenders along with GWS in the (nearer than you think) future and we have nothing to fear from them. Despite all their draft concessions, we match up nicely.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

insightful post...a brief break from the slanging and one upmanship going on here atm.

saint6709
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:I was at the game and the conditions were close to impossible.

Firstly, it's a funny shaped ground, long with hardly any pockets (like Kardinia Park), then there was a gale that swirled around inside the stadium for most of the match and the surface was spongy in areas.

As soon as I walked in I thought we'd be up against it. GWS knew the ground & trained on it, so they always had a huge advantage. I even thought to myself that maybe the shape of the ground was a Sheedy Conspiracy, but dismissed that theory as surely the ground was designed by others. At half time a local asked me what I thought about their little stadium. I commented on the grounds unusual dimensions, to which he replied "Yeah, Sheedy had it designed that way, exactly like Geelong's".
It appears Sheedy did indeed conspire to give them a significant home ground advantage! As they rise, they'll be near impossible to beat there.

Players weren't holding marks, because the ball would deviate in the wind a few feet from their hands, long kicking was difficult and the only player on the ground unaffected by all this was Jeremy Cameron and he was the difference between the sides at half time. After half time we had obviously worked out how to play the ground and wind and hence our domination for the next 35-40 minutes. Unfortunately, we were wasteful when dominating and then gifted GWS their first goal in 40 minutes.

It was hardly a shocker, I left the game pleased because we will be contenders along with GWS in the (nearer than you think) future and we have nothing to fear from them. Despite all their draft concessions, we match up nicely.
I was also there and concur - had my 10 year old and we had to change seats to the other side of the ground to get out of the wind
What I would add was that we won the toss - but not knowing the ground (???) seemed to choose the wrong way to kick and put us at disadvantage from the get go ..
The other thing was whoever looks after boot choice seemed to misread the ground ( it looked in very good Nic) as our guys slipped over at virtually every contest whilst Gws blokes seemed not to be having any trouble keeping their feet -- we seemed to sort that out in the second half

All in all a dirty day

saintly
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Harsh Austinn.
Very, very harsh.

very harsh/ i think he has been great fhe saints.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Great win by the Giants.

I'm so happy for the AFL, GWS and their 261 supporters.

Oh yeah, happy for Teflon too.

Yippee!
I think it's time you go check "poo poo" again cause you talking it
But whatever makes you happy I guess!

Not as bad as us you saying winning games now won't make a difference to the club, you tanker denier.
oh for the love of god....

do tell us all Einstein how the win last week over a deplorable Essendon will help us in 5 years im all ears waiting for your statistical brilliance.
Stick to poo for all our our sake.
I don't answer ridiculous questions Teflon.

Stop denying what you would prefer the club to do.
If you won't answer ridiculous questions how bout doing us all a favour and stopping with the ridiculous posts?

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Some utter rubbish right there... consistent though I must confess...

“Yeah….nah””
SinCitySainter
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yippee!
First time at that ground for me. Blowing a f****** freezing gale right into my face. Miserable day all around, and that's certainly the coldest I have ever been at the footy.
Are you old enough to remember the days at Windy Hill or out at Waverley because they were truly horrendous experiences.

Surely the day at Waverley when it hailed against the Bears was the coldest day ever at the footy. Well it was for me anyway.
The coldest day I ever experienced at the footy was against Essendon in about 83 I think.
Windy Hill aptly named, horizontal torrential rain and we were on the end of an absolute rodgering.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:I was at the game and the conditions were close to impossible.

Dreadful ground, and that wind was freezing as well as blowing a gale. There had been a thunder storm the night before so the ground was always going to be slippery.No excuse for the players falling over all the time as they should have been all wearing screw-ins and not moulded souls.

The Gaints may well train on the ground at times but it is not the ground where they normally train or where their training facilities are. That ground is on the other side of ANZ stadium near the swimming pool. The ground they play their games on is really the showgrounds stadium and has been there for a long time. There was a bit of redevelopment when the AFL sunk their millions into the ground but I very much doubt that Sheedy was able to turn it into the same size as Pussy Park, unless the dimensions were pretty much the same in the first place.

Those redevelopments took place in 2012 . Cost $65 million Grounds dimensions are 164 metres x 127.5 metres. Skill Stadium is 170 metres x 115. A lot longer and much skinnier

Ethiad on the other hand is much closer to Spotless at 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres.

Psychosaint66
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
Some utter rubbish right there... consistent though I must confess...
It won't stick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Cute but psycho. Things even out.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

If the day was anything like Melbourne weather it's hard to get a handle on. I umpired my kids footy match and it was so cold I couldn't use my hands to sign the match forms at half time. I had to stick my hand in my armpit for a couple of minutes to get the feeling back. I hurt to run even. I wouldn't have performed well in that kind of environment. Especially with the hothouse Etihad softening us up.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Yippee!

Not as bad as us you saying winning games now won't make a difference to the club, you tanker denier.

do tell us all Einstein how the win last week over a deplorable Essendon will help us in 5 years im all ears waiting for your statistical brilliance.

If you won't answer ridiculous questions how bout doing us all a favour and stopping with the ridiculous posts?
Com on Teflon, be nice and don't have a blue maaate...lol

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Yippee!

Com on Teflon, be nice and don't have a blue maaate...lol
No problem, since you asked so nicely !!

“Yeah….nah””