Patton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Patton

Dr Spaceman wrote:
skeptic wrote:By that logic why get new mids when we already have young unproven mids on the list

Membrey isn't a KPP, Bruce is on,y one player... I'm not dissing Paddy, but surely ppl have learnt by now not to put all our eggs in the one basket
But this is in the context of making a play for Patton who is himself largely unproven (IMO), who has had several significant injuries and who would cost us a lot to land.

Even if you think we could still use another key forward option, I'm not sure the General is the way we should go.
Exactly, Dr. Should we pay through the nose for another key forward? No. But should we draft another in the next couple of years? Sure, if they're the best player available.

But you wouldn't waste time trading for or chasing a key forward at this point. Plenty of other priorities.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:By that logic why get new mids when we already have young unproven mids on the list

Membrey isn't a KPP, Bruce is on,y one player... I'm not dissing Paddy, but surely ppl have learnt by now not to put all our eggs in the one basket
IMO Bruce and Paddy and to a lesser degree Membrey (only 20 remember) are extremely talented forwards and our midfield is lacking that same talented depth. Armo is a beast, Steven is a great foot soldier however butchers it and Dunstan, Ross, Acres and Weller are one-paced. We need quick, skilled, elite talented midfielders.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I agree Dr.S,

I don't think he'd cost a bucketload as he's unproven on the background on injuries. I'd just put some feelers out for him.

My point is that we do need other forward prospects on our list and you seem to agree with that anyway.

But yes mids are the preference at the moment... Maybe a key back too

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I'd like more mids and less mods but you can't have it all ....

“Yeah….nah””
FQF
SS Life Member

If the club thought it could land Patton this year we would have drafted Petracca.

Die Hard 7
Club Player

Kicked 7 on the weekend in his return from injury

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Die Hard 7 wrote:Kicked 7 on the weekend in his return from injury

Good work, I know his sister and he's a nice guy who deserves a break. He is an absolute massive unit, he will be very hard to stop if his knees hold up.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:

IMO Bruce and Paddy and to a lesser degree Membrey (only 20 remember) are extremely talented forwards and our midfield is lacking that same talented depth. Armo is a beast, Steven is a great foot soldier however butchers it and Dunstan, Ross, Acres and Weller are one-paced. We need quick, skilled, elite talented midfielders.
I think Weller may be a tad quicker than some believed, judging by his 80 metre goal.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Old Mate wrote:

I think Weller may be a tad quicker than some believed, judging by his 80 metre goal.

I watched his last game at the GCS and he looked like a miniature Mc Evoy despite being nearly best on ground that day he was as slow as treacle. He is got serious pace now though when needed. Is that Basil Brush's fitness program? I remember a super goal from about 70 meters in the preseason too the year, him and savage can get under the ball and unload nicely.