Richo Contract extension- 2018 ( video and extended article

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Richo Contract extension- 2018 ( video and extended article

apparently will sign tomorrow- 2 year extension will end of 2018

from Footy Show Confirmed

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-23/richo-resigns
The 50-year-old is in his second season as senior coach after serving a long apprenticeship at the Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton and Port Adelaide.

“I am very pleased to commit to St Kilda’s future. There are exciting things happening right across our club and I am thrilled to be a part of it for at least the next three years,” Richardson said.

“I have high expectations of this playing group and with the backing of a united and supportive board and executive, I am confident we will return to a period of success in the near future.”
Video message
http://www.saints.com.au/video/2015-07- ... -extension
Last edited by saintbrat on Sat 25 Jul 2015 11:31pm, edited 3 times in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo Contract extension

Can't argue with that, great news.

philtee
Club Player

Sweeeeet!
Confirmed by Herald Sun a short time ago -
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7454566982

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Alan Richardson ‏@AlanRichardson 12m12 minutes ago ( 9.30 Thursday evening 23/7/15)

Excited to have extended my contract until the end of 2018. I'm incredibly bullish about the journey that we're on.
#HowIWantToBe

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

great news

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7454566982
St Kilda re-signs coach Alan Richardson for two years
JON RALPH HERALD SUN JULY 23, 2015 9:25 PM

ALAN Richardson has declared he wants to be St Kilda’s second premiership coach after signing a new two-year contract extension.

The Herald Sun can reveal St Kilda has handed the 50-year-old a deal that will lock him away until the end of 2018.

Richardson told the Herald Sun on Thursday he was determined to be at the club when the young list turned into a premiership force.

“I am incredibly honoured. I am excited because I am really confident about they way we are going,’’ he said.

“I am confident there is enormous clarity around what we are doing and it’s always been a dream of mine to coach but that goes pretty quick.

“It goes from getting the job, to doing it, to ‘Right, I want to win it’.

“I want our footy club to win its second premiership. I want to be part of that and a fairly significant part of that.

“That drives everything we do and it’s really important that you can remove me (as a question mark), that they think he’s the bloke and we are confident about him.

“If you don't have stability and clarity of vision at your footy club, it’s just down to luck.”

His young charges were expected to win this year’s wooden spoon again but instead have shocked the footy world with five wins so far.

He believes with two more strong drafts and some free agency acquisitions next year they will set themselves up for a sustained charge.

St Kilda has locked away its elite youngsters and free agent Jack Steven, with negotiations on a deal for midfield revelation David Armitage well progressed.

And Richardson believes captain Nick Riewoldt could continue playing for years to come given his amazing form.

Riewoldt has battled with a calf injury this year on a limited pre-season given the trauma of his sister’s death.

He is contracted until the end of next year but Richardson says the 32-year-old could play on past next year.

“This year has been an unreal year. It’s been incredibly challenging for reasons we understand and his preparation hasn’t been the norm.

“But I defy anyone to be able to play as well as he has on the preparation he has had, both physically and emotionally.

“He has got a cranky knee but as long as he still wants to play and understands his role, which he does, there is a chance he could continue on to play beyond his existing contract.”

St Kilda chief executive Matt Finnis said last night Richardson had impressed across every level at the Saints.

“What you love about Richo’s leadership is it is incredibly authentic and you can see it. The fans have warmed to his honesty and openness.

“With Richo what you see is what you get. The board made a smart decision when they appointed Richo 18 months ago so to extend him now for an extra two years based on everything we have learnt about him already, it was very easy but also a smart decision.

“It also really aligns with the journey we are on towards 2018.

“He is a great communicator and teacher of players regardless of what stage they are on in their carers and he has a relentless pursuit of excellence and a standard he is driving for players on and off the field.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
bigred
Saintsational Legend

This is a very good thing.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: Richo Contract extension- 2018

Like.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
RW&B
Club Player

Re: Richo Contract extension- 2018 ( video 1st post)

We have a ripper in Richo.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Great news. Glad the club is being proactive rather than reactive. I have no doubt Richo is the right man for the job right now.

Incredibly proud of how the club is being run right now.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saints future looking good!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:great news
Nice to see you on the site. Wondered where you had got to!! Might be some attendance required in the Admin forum if you've got the time.

And I agree, great news. Richo is the real deal.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:This is a very good thing.
This.

And if a certain team gets done this week, then the timing is impeccable!

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Excellent decision he's certainly a developer
Is he tactically astute match days ? We will find out but first we must learn to compete consistently and you need a developer for that

“Yeah….nah””
mickey
Club Player

YES !!! All true Sainters know that we are well ahead of everyone's expectations, we're not in the news for the wrong reasons, our off field people are doing a great job but the one thing that stands out more than anything is the players are having a go ..... they play for RICHO !! Skills will come, talent will come but whilst we don't have it at the moment he makes them bring effort. He got rid of the right players & was a part of drafting some beauties. As a tormented Saints supporter I've really enjoyed this year. My kids are making me proud because they live in SA & have stuck by this side through the bad (& they've copped a fair bit) & love what they see now.

OUR DAY WILL COME & WHAT A PARTY IT WILL BE !!!! Congrats Richo & start working out because the cup is quite heavy.

Fortius Quo Fidelius.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Agree with all that is said above. We have a coach the genuinely wants to be apart of our club and be the next coach that wins that elusive second flag.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Excellent news. Someone the boys really play for and some stability for the future.

Looking forward to seeing him develop as a head coach just as much as seeing our young stars evolve.

supersaints
Club Player

Certainly good news, I think as he gains more match day experience he will end up a very , very good coach.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Well he is a traditional type Saints coach, I mean he wasted no time in taking us to a wooden spoon :wink:

You are garbage - Enough said
Saint wagga
Club Player

Not sure why they couldn't have waited till this time next year, he's already contracted up wasn't he?...perhaps concerned re: Crows...what if this time next year we have injuries to several key players and are still on 3-5 wins...not sure all this Richo love fest will be as all encompassing.

Don't get me wrong, this season has exceeded expectations, but we've had a blessed run with injuries and a fairly nice draw to date. He has certainly got the players on board, but surely haveing another look for 12 months wouldn't hurt to see how he copes with some injuruy adversity...his match day tactical nous is yet to be proven IMO.

Then again the way clubs contract coaches and then extend their contract way before the current one expires only to then have to pay them out when they sack them still beggers belief...hope Richo avoids this curse.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Not sure why they couldn't have waited till this time next year, he's already contracted up wasn't he?...perhaps concerned re: Crows...what if this time next year we have injuries to several key players and are still on 3-5 wins...not sure all this Richo love fest will be as all encompassing.

Don't get me wrong, this season has exceeded expectations, but we've had a blessed run with injuries and a fairly nice draw to date. He has certainly got the players on board, but surely haveing another look for 12 months wouldn't hurt to see how he copes with some injuruy adversity...his match day tactical nous is yet to be proven IMO.

Then again the way clubs contract coaches and then extend their contract way before the current one expires only to then have to pay them out when they sack them still beggers belief...hope Richo avoids this curse.

Im with you. Don't see the urgency at all. I hear things like stability but he wouldn't get a job elsewhere and he was already signed for next year. This time next year would have been my choice but they obviously have me covered in knowledge on this matter.

FQF
SS Life Member

It might not be urgent, but that doesn't make this the wrong decision.
  • - There are very few more destabilising things for footy clubs (leaving aside exceptional circumstances) than media speculation about the coach's contract
    - Richo has proven himself to have a connection and importantly real influence over the playing group from young and old alike
    - Richo has wholeheartedly embraced the club not just from a pure coaching football point of view but involving himself in extra media work for members, attending communal events, and more and this can't be underestimated
    - There is always the chance that clubs looking for coaches will come knocking with hard to reject contracts - a long term contract with us will probably prevent them from considering it at all
    - No doubt that coaches, like any other job in life, requires a fair degree of confidence, risk taking and security to get the most out of yourself. If Richo was feeling pressure next year to keep his job there is every possibility that he might turn to safer options rather than the risky, pro-development option
    - lastly, we need to reward performance and as far as I can tell, Richo is deserving of this reward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:It might not be urgent, but that doesn't make this the wrong decision.
  • - There are very few more destabilising things for footy clubs (leaving aside exceptional circumstances) than media speculation about the coach's contract
    - Richo has proven himself to have a connection and importantly real influence over the playing group from young and old alike
    - Richo has wholeheartedly embraced the club not just from a pure coaching football point of view but involving himself in extra media work for members, attending communal events, and more and this can't be underestimated
    - There is always the chance that clubs looking for coaches will come knocking with hard to reject contracts - a long term contract with us will probably prevent them from considering it at all
    - No doubt that coaches, like any other job in life, requires a fair degree of confidence, risk taking and security to get the most out of yourself. If Richo was feeling pressure next year to keep his job there is every possibility that he might turn to safer options rather than the risky, pro-development option
    - lastly, we need to reward performance and as far as I can tell, Richo is deserving of this reward.

I agree about media speculation and if the coach will get a new contract but being a bottom side with bugger all support I doubt there would be much media speculation at all unless it went until the end of next season. And whilst I agree with most of your points I still cant see the hurry. What happens if we go backwards by a fair way next season? I hope it doesn't happen and it probably wont but there is a risk of it happening. Will we be so confident then especially if we lose Roo and Joey the year after that.

I don't think Richo is not going to do his job 100% just because he didn't get an extended contract. Our contracts lengths for some players lately hasn't been that great.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
FQF wrote:It might not be urgent, but that doesn't make this the wrong decision.

I agree about media speculation and if the coach will get a new contract but being a bottom side with bugger all support I doubt there would be much media speculation at all unless it went until the end of next season. And whilst I agree with most of your points I still cant see the hurry. What happens if we go backwards by a fair way next season? I hope it doesn't happen and it probably wont but there is a risk of it happening. Will we be so confident then especially if we lose Roo and Joey the year after that.

I don't think Richo is not going to do his job 100% just because he didn't get an extended contract. Our contracts lengths for some players lately hasn't been that great.
It's interesting but if this long contract prevents the club from sacking another coach after a year of bad injuries + below expectation results than that's also a good thing. This essentially forces us to be patient and creates stability. 2018 and beyond is the time when we will start seriously competing in prelims and grand finals (ideally) and that is the time to reassess whether we need a new coach. Until then, I am happy to see us stick to our guns with a good solid coach even if results go down next year.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

People can have legitimate concerns about the need to re-sign Richo now, however the suggested benefits of doing so are equally with foundation.

And as it is now done, and no longer a “should we or shouldn’t we”, there appears little to be gained by arguing against what has just been announced.

Regardless, I am in the "happy to do" it group so I’m really happy we’ve gone and done it.

Well done Richo :) #stability