Career month coming up

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Career month coming up

The next 4-6 weeks may well decide the careers of several players on the list. The advantage many may have is that form all reports this years draft is not deep and while there will always be smokeys i can see a lot more teams using only 4 picks as opposed to 6 and loading up on rookies which are cheaper from club perspective.

Not sure on contract status but would think that, in no particular order : Saad, Murdoch, Markworth, Saunders, Lee, White all need to show something extra.

Granted Schnieder will probably retire, a minimum of 2 will need to be delisted, not allowing for promotions.

Saad is a rookie so is a little different to the other

Lee has a new role this year and from all reports seems to be adapting ok so may buy him another year.

Markworth - injuries have crueller him and now he has been able to get a consistent run of games they may persevere as they have invested a lot already .

Murdoch - too many seem to have gone past him. I know has had injuries but it seems Lonie, Sinclair, Acres, and potentially Minchington and templeton have passed him.

Saunders - see Murdoch. Seems like a real trier but not sure if his skills are good enough, especially with the younger guys coming through. I see him in front of Murdoch though so may be safe.

White - The newest Rhys Stanley, flashes of brilliance and athletisism make people love him and ignore many other deficiencies in basic areas like work ethic in games, second efforts etc. With Bruce, Membrey, Patty, Hickey and even Pierce as potential future tall options might struggle

Of course an expert form the sidelines will have no idea on the behind the scenes thoughts and actions, but if some of the these guys don't push themselves into the Senior team before years end then is may be time to move on, especially considering Sinclair and i think Holmes will be end of season promotions to the main list

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Career month coming up

You've name a number of contracted players.....

White, Sippos, Minch, Pierce, Ray, Fisher and Schneider (rookie list) will go IMO.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Career month coming up

Old Mate wrote:You've name a number of contracted players.....

White, Sippos, Minch, Pierce, Ray, Fisher and Schneider (rookie list) will go IMO.

I think you are very close but I think Fisher may stay and I would think Simpkin is in real trouble. Also Saad will go. A few are lucky that we have so many obvious ones to go. I would think Wright, Saunders, Murdoch and Marksworth have one year to go unless they show more.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I think you are very close but I think Fisher may stay and I would think Simpkin is in real trouble. Also Saad will go. A few are lucky that we have so many obvious ones to go. I would think Wright, Saunders, Murdoch and Marksworth have one year to go unless they show more.
Isn't Simpkin under contract? I reckon one of Dempter or Fisher retire.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Isn't Simpkin under contract? I reckon one of Dempter or Fisher retire.

No. He finishes at the end of this year unfortunately for him.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin prolly gone then too.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i'd love to see Lee get another opportunity in the seniors, this time down back, prior to seasons end.

His class by boot is something that could be extremely valuable off the half backline if he is able to get his hands on it.

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One of Dempster or Fisher has to go.

Lots of clubs looking for small fwds so hopefully the Minch gets another opportunity elsewhere because he is one guy who has shown a bit and has really put in an effort for Sandy week in week out. Solid citizen with good kicking.

White, Schneider, Ray, Simpkin, Sippos, Pierce, Minch all in real trouble to go.

I like the idea that maybe we send a player (from above list) plus pick 60 for another pick in the 40s.

saintjake
Club Player

Is Hickey out of contract?
Any chance he could Luke Ball us and walk into the draft?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

i reckon...fisher will be the only one of the older brigade to go
schneides will go one more i reckon
joey and roo and dempster obviously going on

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:i reckon...fisher will be the only one of the older brigade to go
schneides will go one more i reckon
joey and roo and dempster obviously going on
Ray?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yeah dunno old mate
i did think of him as i was typing but tbh i have nfi what his age is etc

look, i prob wouldnt keep him on
is he a RFA? a FA?
whats left on the contract?

if i saw chips schneides and ray go at the end of the year i wouldnt be upset about it
got a feeling schneides just might hang around for another year and play if he is needed
more as a mentoring coaching role
can see him slipping into an assistant role, whether thats at us or someone else i dunno as soon as the playing days are over

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Career month coming up

matrix wrote:yeah dunno old mate
i did think of him as i was typing but tbh i have nfi what his age is etc

look, i prob wouldnt keep him on
is he a RFA? a FA?
whats left on the contract?

if i saw chips schneides and ray go at the end of the year i wouldnt be upset about it
got a feeling schneides just might hang around for another year and play if he is needed
more as a mentoring coaching role
can see him slipping into an assistant role, whether thats at us or someone else i dunno as soon as the playing days are over
His contract is up this year but unsure if he's a free agent. Probably doesn't matter in the end. Id imagine we'd be happy to get him a new home if it meant prolonging his career and more opportunity. He's 29 this year turning 30 next year. I reckon he's gone. He's the easiest senior to replace.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If Schnads goes one more this place will implode.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
sainter104
Club Player

cant see why Dempster wont go around again