Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

So what has he done wrong?

Nothing too 'out there' on race relations.
Not putting any great guilt trips nor vilification on the 'white majority'.

Very magnanimous in fact. Seems he's calling for recognition and respect. Is that such a big ask?

The calling out of the young and (as pointed out) anonymous young lady could have been handled better. Way better handled! But to me it doesn't seem as if Goodes intended for her to suffer the ordeal she ended up going through.

And maybe his pointing her out was a spur of the moment reaction to the shock and immense hurt that he felt??? :idea: Who knows? Luckily myself and most of us have not, and probably never will be, in a position to be able to empathise re what that sort of thing must actually feel like.

That doesn't make us racist. (That would be the opinions becoming aspersions thing, that does so much harm... I really liked that line.) Probably though, it does make us luckier than we fully realise, and hence maybe unaware of 'casual racism' that be so hurtful to some(?) :idea:

And we have been wisely and truly advised by several here not to claim to be able to get into the heads of others, so maybe, lets not judge him too harshly?

Similarly with the war dance. The 'huka' is pre game, not intra game, and is directed at opponents, not the crowd. So I feel that could have been thought through a bit better also. Actually a lot better. But again, we have been wisely and truly advised not to claim to be able to get into the heads of others...

So those two events seem to be his only on field 'political' actions. So when it's all tallied up, he's not really hijacking our great game, is he?

My conclusion:
When our mighty club plays those Sydney Swine parasites, I certainly hope that our fans show that we have more class than the average supporter who follows any of those 'other' teams, and that we do not boo Adam Goodes for any reason whatsoever... that is not directly related to that current game.

And I also hope that the footballing public can get back to what it should be doing...

Booing those cheats in red and black. And especially their so-called coach. :evil:

That's the Hird-mentality booing I want to see!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

PS: If Dolt really does believe none of what he writes and is merely having a laugh, :shock: then that's very very sad. And Dolt is either more thick than I've been giving him discredit for... or he's plain evil. :(

PPS: Whilst I'm here, I reckon that peeps should lay off Pluggsy. He's not the reason behind any (perceived) issues with Saintsational. This place would lose a good junk of it's soul without the likes of him... and also without the likes of those who spar with him. :wink:

Speaking of which, I'm off to bump a certain thread. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is back.

Austinnn
Club Player

Heyyy! Welcome back stranger. Stick around a while, this place needs more emoticons and multicoloured writing right now. :wink:

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
saynta
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
satchmo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
markp wrote:
WindSister wrote:
markp wrote:Gaz, it's the foody and theatre, we cheer our heros and boo our villains.
Agreed.
... and its very purpose , is to allow the relief of held stress n tension by the people ,
so as it doesnt explode sideways out in the general community during the daily grind.
So basically , we are as the Romans.

Where will the 'sideways' explosion of simmering resentments express itself next
if it cant be done at the Colloseum?
Maybe we can go into business marketing relocatable soundproof boo - booths?

Pay $2 and boo your head off for 5 minutes.
Now I'm almost sad that the booing will stop. People need a release.

it's NOT about the booing!
But this thread is.
The op was asking that we, in representing our club as supporters. should show restraint and not boo Adam Goodes. This is a reasonable request.

But my point is...I don't boo anyway, and I don't know anyone that does. Apart from a couple of people, judging from the response , hardly anyone here seems to boo. So who are we pleading with? Was there a booing problem previously in our games against the Swans? Doesn't seem like that's the case. So because a group of idiots in WA doing it for a reason most seem to presume is racism, the media have highlighted it. I think that this media attention alone will incite every racist/moron/joker/shitstirrer that attends the game to have a crack at him, and if they do we can expect to all be branded racists. They will use images of Nicky and Gilbert to highlight that we were the problem all along.
Yep.

I hope the booing stops now, it has to.

The alternative is that it gets very messy... and that clubs and its members are branded.

The problem is that the issue has been reduced and over simplified; if you dislike goodes you're racist (we all are, apparently), if you boo or don't condemn the booing you're a racist.

Some who resent this implication may feel the best way to express that is to boo... along with other shyte stirrers.

Can only hope it simmers right down, right away.
Me too.This morning I posted a link which seems to now be missing of the row between Rebecca Wilson and Dermie. Wilson blatantly and wrongly stated that Goodes had been subjected to booing by the 17 other clubs and that they were all responsible. She also stated that we were all racists. She also upset Dermie by lying about what he actually said.

There are no winners in this whole sorry mess.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He is out of the game this week. Obviously got to much and then some moron from the A league says he should be deported. There will be some that will never get it. You wonder about their upbringing.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Would he be booed like he is if he wasn't aboriginal? Nope.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... t-because-

Austinnn
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Would he be booed like he is if he wasn't aboriginal? Nope.

That's it. That's the point.

Deniers can argue all they like.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
markp
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
saynta wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinio ... 7460762592

"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world. Goodes being booed is just another reason to slam their country as racist. The truth is immaterial.

The victimhood brigade won’t be satisfied unless Goodes is seen as a casualty of Australia’s seething racism."

Gtreat article if you want to read it in full, and don't have the closed mind of some posters.

Rita Panahi is an abhorrent fool. She champions Andrew Bolt who a friends husband (who knows him) tells me is a great guy because he doesn't even believe the s*** he says but amuses himself. Panahi tries to gloss over everything while saying anyone who disagrees with her is a marxist nightmare that wants to enslave humanity and make them eat lentils. She comes from good immigrant Persian stock that came here for opportunity and now demand the door is firmly shut so none else can get access to the same opportunity. She wants a dictatorship run by arch conservatives but loves Australia. Well she would if it was just a bit more like Iraq in the good old days where a strong conservative stopped these silly dissenters. Like Abbott who thinks Australia is perfect but justs want to tinker with a few things so it's exactly like good old England.
Agree about Rita, I've heard the same about bolt from a girl I knew who met him several years ago and to whom he admitted as much.

But this being turned into a left vs right thing doesn't bode well... Alan jones has blown his hot wind into it also.

Austinnn
Club Player

Below is a comment from that first dog on the moon cartoon that seemed interesting enough to share...

Arcane
1h ago

According to psychologist Dr Laura Schlessinger racists are motivated by at least five factors.

1. Self-Esteem:

Racists are generally people with low self-esteem due to their low-socio-economic status or other weaknesses and they adopt racist attitudes to help boost their sense of self-importance. For example, a fat and ugly white person screams abuse at a healthy, fit and probably affluent Aboriginal footballer to make their own sh*tty life seem better. Works also for the low-self esteem people who go to Reclaim Australia rallies and spew out hatred for Muslims.

2. Positive Distinctiveness:

This relates to a fear of those who are different from us. The group or herd mentality that most people have makes anyone who seems different or looks different into a potential threat. It is the "fit in or f*ck off" school of thought, which is fine if you are part of the mainstream dominant societal group, but not so good if you are an outsider.

3. Certainty and Structure:

Many people need to have a world that is predictable, clear and unambiguous. They think in simplistic ways and don't deal well with complexity and uncertainty. If they have a pre-existing view of the way the world is or should be, they will actively resist anyone who offers them alternative views and challenges their thinking. Such people cannot cope with Aboriginals like Goodes who are more successful, more talented, richer and generally more "good" than they are. For them such people should be poor, drunken, social outcasts who they can look down on and not have to treat as equals or even feel inferior to.

4. Survival:

For some people racism may be driven by basic almost primeval survival instincts. Humans are essentially pack animals who like dogs survive in groups (e.g. family, kinship, tribe etc.). As such they club together and fight or resist any other group that tries to potentially threaten their control over scarce resources. Hence the racists who form Reclaim Australia fear Muslims coming to take away their country, way of life etc. White Australia took the land from Aboriginal Australia in the 19th Century and has continued to resist any attempt to give much back or even acknowledge the harm done. Tony Abbott even made the claim that nothing much was going on here until the British arrived! "Terra nullius anyone?"

5. Dominance:

Finally, racism may be triggered by a "dominance motive" whereby one group of human "primates" seeks to gain more social status by dominating or suppressing another. Minority groups are often suppressed in this manner and the legal and social justice system has to fight hard to restore balance, fairness and equity.
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 29 Jul 2015 7:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

That's the point? Which box did you tick?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He is out of the game this week. Obviously got to much and then some moron from the A league says he should be deported. There will be some that will never get it. You wonder about their upbringing.

I heard that too. Unfortunately he was beaten to it a couple of years ago by Saints supporters who wanted Milera deported back to his own country. To be fair they thought he was a "f%$#en indian" though.They got a laugh from someone when he mentioned call centres and him and his wife or what ever she was kept it up all night even after people told him to shut up.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Heyyy! Welcome back stranger. Stick around a while, this place needs more emoticons and multicoloured writing right now. :wink:

Man this place needs like buttons so I don't have to do this.

Austinnn
Club Player

markp wrote:But this being turned into a left vs right thing doesn't bode well... Alan jones has blown his hot wind into it also.
Just what I said before. The issue gets polarised and filtered into absolutes and no one gets to have ice cream.

Alan Jones will make things better, sure. All we need is that lunatic Christopher whatshisname to blarher on about it now.

All the people on the left! You're deluded!
All the people on the right! You're a racist!
Let's dance away the years and keep avoiding reality.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
markp wrote:But this being turned into a left vs right thing doesn't bode well... Alan jones has blown his hot wind into it also.
Just what I said before. The issue gets polarised and filtered into absolutes and no one gets to have ice cream.

Alan Jones will make things better, sure. All we need is that lunatic Christopher whatshisname to blarher on about it now.

All the people on the left! You're deluded!
All the people on the right! You're a racist!
Let's dance away the years and keep avoiding reality.

Skase?

Furphy
Club Player

There was no booing of Goodes until he became a gilt-edged sook. No racism, people hate sooks! I suppose all the booing of Carl Ditterich was anti-German racism? What about the filth screamed at Milney?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:

A denier might ask if he'd have been named australian of the year or allowed to do a war dance.

It's obviously impossible to separate him from his aboriginality.

If Milne was an aboriginal would we have sacked him like we sacked Lovett?

Would the afl have stepped in to stop the weekly slandering?

It's just a pointless question.

Can you not concede that a good deal of people who don't like goodes (and as I've said I have zero problem with him, btw) are not racist?

As Austin, and hopefully I are pointing out, the absolutist on both sides here are and can only make this worse.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I find it incredible that we are still going over this..every aspect has been covered numerous times..it's almost as if this thread is some sort of a self moral cleansing opportunity .

What else can possibly be said that hasn't already been said ? Will be interesting to see how this saga plays out.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
Austinnn wrote:

A denier might ask if he'd have been named australian of the year or allowed to do a war dance.

It's obviously impossible to separate him from his aboriginality.

If Milne was an aboriginal would we have sacked him like we sacked Lovett?

Would the afl have stepped in to stop the weekly slandering?

It's just a pointless question.

Can you not concede that a good deal of people who don't like goodes (and as I've said I have zero problem with him, btw) are not racist?

As Austin, and hopefully I are pointing out, the absolutist on both sides here are and can only make this worse.
Agree with that. Panahi's article doesn't really serve a purpose other than to justify the position of the people on her side of the debate. You would hope that you would use that platform to show why people with an opposing view point might want to see it your way. Telling someone who doesn't feel like a racist they are racist will generally only arc them up and lock into their current position. Likewise suggesting everyone who isn't in her corner is self loathing and irksomely compliant won't swing them around to your viewpoint.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Furphy wrote:There was no booing of Goodes until he became a gilt-edged sook. No racism, people hate sooks! I suppose all the booing of Carl Ditterich was anti-German racism? What about the filth screamed at Milney?

Why was he a sook? Because he didn't want to be called an ape or that he spoke out at AOTY awards? No idea what Milne has to do with this or Ditterich.

citywest

I will boo the s*** out of him. This has nothing top do with Racism but everything to do with him being a sooky la la.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:I will boo the s*** out of him. This has nothing top do with Racism but everything to do with him being a sooky la la.

So even though people have asked everyone not to boo you will do it anyway even though we know it hurts him? Boooooooooooooooooooo to you. And can you tell me why he is a sook?

citywest

He should have been suspended for the whole season for what he did to that 12 year old girl.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

who will win the toss tonight ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:He should have been suspended for the whole season for what he did to that 12 year old girl.

First she was 13 and she called him an ape. Now I could understand people calling you certain words but I don't think he deserved that at all. Your lack of knowledge on this subject is similar to your lack of knowledge on trading Steven and Armo.