Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Furphy
Club Player

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

plugger66 wrote:
Furphy wrote:There was no booing of Goodes until he became a gilt-edged sook. No racism, people hate sooks! I suppose all the booing of Carl Ditterich was anti-German racism? What about the filth screamed at Milney?

Why was he a sook? Because he didn't want to be called an ape or that he spoke out at AOTY awards? No idea what Milne has to do with this or Ditterich.

Goodes has done nothing but whine about everything over the last couple of years and they even gave him 'Australian of the year' for it. Don't you remember Ditterich being booed every time he went near the ball? No-one likes a smart @rse either
Last edited by Furphy on Wed 29 Jul 2015 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:who will win the toss tonight ?

Those pommy bastards.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Whoever does, and if they bat first, will win the match (weather permitting).

Austinnn
Club Player

Eh? no, I'm saying that deniers are the people saying he would get the same treatment if he weren't aboriginal. He wouldn't. Whether or not each and every person who has ever booed AG is racist, (of course they aren't), this idea is still hard to deny.

If Adam Goodes mother were white, he would have firstly developed a different playing persona through not being racially vilified through his career. If he'd ever heard anyone call him an ape, he might have had his feelings hurt, but he wouldn't have reflected on whether or not his entire race was being dehumanised and if he was being deindividualised. He might have done a little disco shimmy on Aboriginal Round instead of a tribal style ceremonial dance. He would be booed for his playing actions and perhaps for being a big head. More in the way that Matthew Lloyd or Nathan Buckley used to cop it. But that amount of hate for a white player in Australia? He'd have to have been caught on video beating up children or other henious crimes that I'm too scared to type.

I agree that comparing Milne to Lovett is ridiculous, an example of simplifying the issue.

If you ask me, Lovett got the sack because of the Stephen Milne scandal, a poor reaction based on the recent history of the club and a need to get tough on player discretions. Milne wouldn't have got the sack no matter what colour he was, because at that time, without that history, Saints priority was to protect their player. If he'd gone through all that after Lovett, he would have got sacked, just like Jason Gram did. I don't think it's got anything at all to do with race, does anyone at all? But that is getting off track.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
Whoever does, and if they bat first, will win the match (weather permitting).
not so sure..I think we are streets ahead of the soap dodgers . (said in a very un racist way ) :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Those pommy bastards.

racist . :)

citywest

plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:He should have been suspended for the whole season for what he did to that 12 year old girl.

First she was 13 and she called him an ape. Now I could understand people calling you certain words but I don't think he deserved that at all. Your lack of knowledge on this subject is similar to your lack of knowledge on trading Steven and Armo.
Thanks for the advice. You are a very wise Plugger.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
citywest wrote:He should have been suspended for the whole season for what he did to that 12 year old girl.

First she was 13 and she called him an ape. Now I could understand people calling you certain words but I don't think he deserved that at all. Your lack of knowledge on this subject is similar to your lack of knowledge on trading Steven and Armo.
Thanks for the advice. You are a very wise Plugger.

I don't think so but you are right when compared to you. Nothing to get excited about though.

Austinnn
Club Player

No but he did verbally abuse that 11 year old girl, so he diserves to be put in a jail with the rest of em. And he is the only player to cry so much to get free kicks. Did you know that little 10 year old girl is now wanted by the police for racism?? Its rediculous. Shame Goodes shame, I will boo loud and proud.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
stjay
Club Player

However it started, for whatever reason, the booing has morphed into something which clearly has a racist element.
The fact is if he wasn't Aboriginal he wouldn't be being booing to this degree - nothing that he's done warrants it.
Furthermore he is a champion of our game and finishing this season.

Can we put aside our petty differences and team support to recognise his contribution to the game and make a stand against racism?
Even if you don't think this is about racism, the point now is we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we stand against racism.

How about we cheer for him, every disposal? Because he is a champion and has given the game so much.
We could drown out the boos and give a champion a fitting send off.
It's one game! It's not forever.
We probably owe that to him for all pleasure he has given us as we have watched him over the years.
Hell, Lenny got standing ovations and guards of honour, why can't we show Goodes the same respect.
And at the same time show that we will take a stand against racism whenever it rears its ugly head.
It is the decent thing to do.
#StandforGoodes

Apologies if I'm repeating anything that's already been said.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:No but he did verbally abuse that 11 year old girl, so he diserves to be put in a jail with the rest of em. And he is the only player to cry so much to get free kicks. Did you know that little 10 year old girl is now wanted by the police for racism?? Its rediculous. Shame Goodes shame, I will boo loud and proud.

I heard she was 9 and she didn't even say nuffink. He just picked on her. He's a racist because she was picked on for looking a bit like a Llama. Anyway Collingwood supporters are racially abused all the time- I was told by the school cleaner after that episode. They get racisted by the other fans.

ace
Saintsational Legend

He kicks a footy, never come close to winning a Nobel Prize

He kicks a footy, never built a job creating business.

He kicks a footy.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Wow! A General Forum style thread (two of 'em actually) right here in the main forum. :lol: Saintsationalists. you really should consider popping over to the good 'ol GF. See the sorta' stuff that you've been missing... well at least when the GF was up and running in its prime. :(

Back to Goodes. Time for a summary after all these pages I reckon. Yep, a bit long maybe, but it's hard for people to form accurate opinions without have a grasp of what they are forming opinions on... :wink:

Background?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Goodes
Goodes was born in South Australia, to Lisa May and Graham Goodes, with siblings Jake and Brett. Goodes' father is of English, Irish and Scottish ancestry; his mother is an Indigenous Australian (Adnyamathanha and Narungga).
Goodes' parents were separated when he was four; his father moved to Queensland while Goodes moved between Wallarooand Adelaide (in South Australia) and Merbein (in Victoria) with his mother.

What did he do to be named as Australian of the Year?
Adam is proud of his Indigenous heritage, and is actively involved with several Indigenous sport and community programs. He has spent time working with troubled youth, including those in youth detention centres. Together with his cousin and former teammate Michael O’Loughlin, Adam established the Go Foundation which empowers the next generation of Indigenous role models in all walks of life. Adam co-chairs the foundation, focused on promoting education, employment and healthy lifestyles. Adam is a great role model and advocate for the fight against racism both on and off the field and is admired by a great many people around the nation.
http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/h ... entID=1144

That speech: https://youtu.be/3EV-cLb_Ttg
"Growing up as an Indigenous Australian, I have seen and experienced my fair share of racism. Whilst it has been difficult a lot of the time, it has also taught me a lot and shaped my values and what I believe in today. There are always two ways we can look at a situation - we can choose to get angry or not, we can choose to help others or not, or choose to be offended or not, we can keep our silos or educate ourselves and others about racism and minority populations. It is not just about taking responsibility for your own actions, but speaking to your mates when they take out their anger on their loved ones, minority groups or make racist remarks. We are all equal and the same in so many ways. My hope is that we as a nation can break down the silos between races, break down those stereotypes of minority populations - Indigenous populations and all those other minority groups. I hope we can be proud of our heritage regardless of the colour of our skin and be proud to be Australian."

He says whilst he is extremely proud and honoured to be chosen as Australian of the Year, the real reward will be to see a nation free of racism.

"The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other is equals and treat each other as equals. To me everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it's the people and the and Interatcions between us that make this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day."

What he wants:
He says he finds it hard to buy into a celebratory notion of Australia Day ''because of the sadness and mourning and the sorrow of our people and a culture that unfortunately has been lost to me through generations''.
Goodes grew up believing Australia was founded on a summer's day in January 1788 when Governor Arthur Phillip staked the flag of the British kingdom in the sand of Sydney Cove.

''I've obviously learnt different since then,'' he says.

Nevertheless, he finds cause for optimism. ''We are still here, we've got a lot to celebrate about being here and that we have one of the longest-serving cultures still alive and kicking.''

He does not judge flag-waving, beer-swilling celebrations taking place elsewhere. ''Good luck to them,'' he says. ''That's what I love about Australia: we can do things the way we want to do them, because that's the way our country is - no matter what culture you come from, you can come to Australia and practise your religion, you can practise your beliefs, and you shouldn't be judged for it. That's what I love about Australia, we have this freedom.''

He hopes to use his public profile to raise awareness of the push for constitutional recognition of indigenous people.

''There's nothing in the constitution right now that says Aboriginal people are the first Australians,'' Goodes said, arguing for a successful referendum on the issue in the next couple of years.

''It isn't about us wanting to get our land back and it's not about wanting compensation, it's about wanting recognition we were the first Australians.''

The day after Goodes raised his arm to identify a 13-year-old girl in the MCG crowd who had shouted ''ape'' at him, he stood, shaken and shattered, before a media throng.

''It cut me deep,'' he said.

And then: ''The person that needs the most support now is the little girl. People do need to cut this girl some slack.''

His hopes for the nation are that ''everyone is treated as equals, through race, religion, sexuality and gender''.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australi ... z3hG5V8Lcg

Other Work?

Goodes used his valedictory speech in Canberra to thank Australians for their support, but said there was still much to do.

"One in five women experience harassment within the workplace – one in five," he said.

"It's still a massive challenge for us all, but the real challenge lies with us men."

"In 2015, our task is to continue to educate and empower men [to] realise the role they play in ending violence against women.

"You will see more momentum in the pursuit of ensuring all women can live safely, free from all forms of violence."

Goodes said the aim of his anti-racism campaign, "Racism. It Stops With Me", was to ensure more Australians recognise racism is unacceptable and provide the tools and resources to take practical action against it.

"We have had a great response to the program this year and our journey and focus remains in 2015. It's all about education and understanding what's acceptable and what isn't," he said.

"I mentioned in my acceptance speech last year that my hope was that this nation can break down the silos between races; break down the stereotypes of minority populations, Indigenous populations, and all the other minority groups.

"I felt that the ultimate reward would be when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals.

"Whilst we are not quite there yet and still have a way to go, I feel that in 2014, we as a nation, community and individuals, have made progress."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/a ... sm/6045170
Thanks for that Dave.

It sums up Goodes very nicely. Judging from that he is a worthy recipient of the honour.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

double post.
Last edited by satchmo on Wed 29 Jul 2015 8:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ace
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:No but he did verbally abuse that 11 year old girl, so he diserves to be put in a jail with the rest of em. And he is the only player to cry so much to get free kicks. Did you know that little 10 year old girl is now wanted by the police for racism?? Its rediculous. Shame Goodes shame, I will boo loud and proud.
She was only 3 years old

and 10.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:However it started, for whatever reason, the booing has morphed into something which clearly has a racist element.
The fact is if he wasn't Aboriginal he wouldn't be being booing to this degree - nothing that he's done warrants it.
Furthermore he is a champion of our game and finishing this season.

Can we put aside our petty differences and team support to recognise his contribution to the game and make a stand against racism?
Even if you don't think this is about racism, the point now is we have an opportunity to demonstrate that we stand against racism.

How about we cheer for him, every disposal? Because he is a champion and has given the game so much.
We could drown out the boos and give a champion a fitting send off.
It's one game! It's not forever.
We probably owe that to him for all pleasure he has given us as we have watched him over the years.
Hell, Lenny got standing ovations and guards of honour, why can't we show Goodes the same respect.
And at the same time show that we will take a stand against racism whenever it rears its ugly head.
It is the decent thing to do.
#StandforGoodes
+1

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Sorry, someone had to do it...

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ace
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

She deserved all she got.
Insulting apes like that.
No ape has ever behaved like Adam Goodes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

She deserved all she got.
Insulting apes like that.
No ape has ever behaved like Adam Goodes.

Firstly if you are trying to be funny you didn't even get close which is usual form but if you aren't trying to be funny then you are a disgrace. Either way those comments are pathetic.

Austinnn
Club Player

ace wrote:He kicks a footy, never come close to winning a Nobel Prize

He kicks a footy, never built a job creating business.

He kicks a footy.

yeah, plus:
Dave McNamara wrote: What did he do to be named as Australian of the Year?
Adam is proud of his Indigenous heritage, and is actively involved with several Indigenous sport and community programs. He has spent time working with troubled youth, including those in youth detention centres. Together with his cousin and former teammate Michael O’Loughlin, Adam established the Go Foundation which empowers the next generation of Indigenous role models in all walks of life. Adam co-chairs the foundation, focused on promoting education, employment and healthy lifestyles. Adam is a great role model and advocate for the fight against racism both on and off the field and is admired by a great many people around the nation.
http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/h ... entID=1144
Other Work?

Goodes used his valedictory speech in Canberra to thank Australians for their support, but said there was still much to do.

"One in five women experience harassment within the workplace – one in five," he said.

"It's still a massive challenge for us all, but the real challenge lies with us men."

"In 2015, our task is to continue to educate and empower men [to] realise the role they play in ending violence against women.

"You will see more momentum in the pursuit of ensuring all women can live safely, free from all forms of violence."

Goodes said the aim of his anti-racism campaign, "Racism. It Stops With Me", was to ensure more Australians recognise racism is unacceptable and provide the tools and resources to take practical action against it.

"We have had a great response to the program this year and our journey and focus remains in 2015. It's all about education and understanding what's acceptable and what isn't," he said.

"I mentioned in my acceptance speech last year that my hope was that this nation can break down the silos between races; break down the stereotypes of minority populations, Indigenous populations, and all the other minority groups.

"I felt that the ultimate reward would be when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals.

"Whilst we are not quite there yet and still have a way to go, I feel that in 2014, we as a nation, community and individuals, have made progress."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-01-25/a ... sm/6045170
I'd say he does a fair bit more than kick a footy. I reckon that might be a reason lots of people who do a lot less dislike him so much.

Any chance that people could get the chip off their shoulder about people who achieve?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

satchmo wrote:Image

good point.

except once again, more for their actions than who they are in this case.

EDIT: and it's been a fair bit longer than "a few weeks" Apart from that, a flawless argument.
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 29 Jul 2015 9:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: I agree that comparing Milne to Lovett is ridiculous, an example of simplifying the issue.

If you ask me, Lovett got the sack because of the Stephen Milne scandal, a poor reaction based on the recent history of the club and a need to get tough on player discretions. Milne wouldn't have got the sack no matter what colour he was, because at that time, without that history, Saints priority was to protect their player. If he'd gone through all that after Lovett, he would have got sacked, just like Jason Gram did. I don't think it's got anything at all to do with race, does anyone at all? But that is getting off track.
Lovett got sacked because in addition to what he did, the playing group strongly disliked him and didn't want to play with him

Gram got sacked because Watters wanted to move him on regardless, hence he wasn't worth the ongoing risk

Milne survived because he was a young player with a heap of potential and was very well liked by the playing group and coaches

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.

I really wonder about these questions? Look it up on the internet. I feel for those who don't know the answer.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
satchmo wrote:Image

good point.

except once again, more for their actions than who they are in this case.

EDIT: and it's been a fair bit longer than "a few weeks" Apart from that, a flawless argument.
Well it was a joke, but actually, imagine how Glen James must have copped it.

*Allegedly.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post