Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.
Serious????

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we won the toss..but down a wicket already :(

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

boooooooooooooooooooooooo

You are garbage - Enough said
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:we won the toss..but down a wicket already :(

Pommy bastards. Warner could have been out second ball but he thought he would wait until the 14th ball.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Pommy bastards. Warner could have been out second ball but he thought he would wait until the 14th ball.
and wasted an appeal.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:boooooooooooooooooooooooo
now did that feel good ? 8-)

hope im not hijacking something here ?

Austinnn
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
satchmo wrote:Image

Sorry, someone had to do it...
good point.

except once again, more for their actions than who they are in this case.

EDIT: and it's been a fair bit longer than "a few weeks" Apart from that, a flawless argument.
Well it was a joke, but actually, imagine how Glen James must have copped it.
No worries Satch, I know it was a joke, but when you read some of the comments in this thread, like this:
saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.
...then it's fair to say you've really gotta spell things out.
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 29 Jul 2015 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Whole thing is a cluster f*ck now where the media has simplified the issue of one of 'left v right.'

According to people like Rita the anti-booers are complete moron leftie dreamers who don't understand the real world.
According to the lefties in the Guardian everyone who boos is a moron racist neo-nazi.

Of course none of these two poles are accurate. The truth is the grey in the middle.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What is clear is that the person doing the calling is an uneducated idiot for feeling the need to ridicule someone with regards to their physical appearance

Why anyone feels the need to do this has me stumped

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

we won the toss, but chose to bat? on that?

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
happy feet
Club Player

The treatment Adam Goodes has received is just plain wrong. I don't care about listening to people rationalising their behaviour, the treatment of this man. In the twilight of his career is disgraceful. If he was a Saints player we would be squealing like stuck pigs.

The red neck element in this country are a disgrace.

I hope as a supporter group we don't descend into the disgusting vile behaviour of other fans of other clubs.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
we won the toss, but chose to bat? on that?
I hearya.

Rosco
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:

What is clear is that the person doing the calling is an uneducated idiot for feeling the need to ridicule someone with regards to their physical appearance

Racist because of the implication that those characteristics are an indication of a sub-human inferior species.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I find it incredible that we are still going over this..every aspect has been covered numerous times..it's almost as if this thread is some sort of a self moral cleansing opportunity .

What else can possibly be said that hasn't already been said ? Will be interesting to see how this saga plays out.
That's what I was thinking. Been done to death . We all want the booing to stop.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:who will win the toss tonight ?

Those pommy bastards.

racist . :)
That is actually racist
I don't take offence being born in the UK
But calling someone a pome which is basically calling them a prisoner could very well hurt someone az much as taunting someone about their skin color.

But yeah apparently it's accepted.
Not that I care about being called a pome bastard by mates.
I'm pretty thick skinned.
But to me if you mock heritage its the same as mocking the color of your skin....and both are completely f****** stupid.

But that's society
Will we ever get rid of either?

Nope not imo.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Racist because of the implication that those characteristics are an indication of a sub-human inferior species.
Maybe, but I'm willing to bet there are a few real gorillas with higher IQ's than your average Collingwood supporter. :D

saynta
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Those pommy bastards.

That is actually racist
But calling someone a pome which is basically calling them a prisoner could very well hurt someone az much as taunting someone about their skin color.

But to me if you mock heritage its the same as mocking the color of your skin....and both are completely f****** stupid.

But that's society

Nope not imo.
Its pommy bastards, not pome. The two words go together, like Tom and Gerry, Abbott and Costello.

Hardly racist as most of Australian born up until the 60's had English, Scottish or Irish heritage. Or a mixture of all three

"Pommy or Pom

The terms Pommy, Pommie and Pom, in Australia, South Africa and New Zealand usually denotes an English person (or, less commonly, people from other parts of the UK).[7] The Oxford Dictionary defines their use as "often derogatory"[8] but after complaints to the Australian Advertising Standards Board regarding five advertisements poking fun at "Poms", the board ruled in 2006 that these words are inoffensive, in part because they are "largely used in playful or affectionate terms".[9] The New Zealand Broadcasting Standards Authority made a similar ruling in 2010.[10]

There are several folk etymologies for "Pommy" or "Pom". The best-documented of these is that "Pommy" originated as a contraction of "pomegranate".[11][12] According to this explanation, "pomegranate" was Australian rhyming slang for "immigrant" ("Jimmy Grant").[13] Usage of "pomegranate" for English people may have been strengthened by a belief in Australia that sunburn occurred more frequently among English immigrants, turning those with fair skin the colour of pomegranates.[14] Another explanation – now generally considered to be a false etymology – was that "Pom" or "Pommy" were derived from an acronym such as POM ("Prisoner of Millbank"), POME ("Prisoner of Mother England") or POHMS ("Prisoner Of Her Majesty's Service").[15] However, there is no evidence that such terms, or their acronyms, were used in Australia when "Pom" and "Pommy" entered use there.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 29 Jul 2015 10:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austinnn
Club Player

Deleted
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 29 Jul 2015 10:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

Austinnn wrote:
matrix wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Those pommy bastards.

That is actually racist

But that's society

Nope not imo.
No it's not. It is nationalist. Britain isn't a race. But I certainly take your point that it's stupid. I'm a pom myself but the word pom doesn't bother me. When were english people ever treated like dirt by other nations, ti the extent that other races were?
Nationality is which country you were born in. Race is deeper, isn't it?

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
saynta
Saintsational Legend

i fear that there is another element to this now that Goodes has shown that the booing is getting to him and affecting his game.

Football is tribal, fans like to win and like to hate the opposition.If the booing is getting under his skin. this will be like a green light to those who love sledging.

Show an aussie a weakness on the footy field and he will most likely try and exploit it.

Nothing racist about that. some may claim it is poor sportsman ship, but not racism.

I think he has unfortunately run his race. It would be a real national disgrace however if the man has been run out of football.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i think we should put the whole thing on ice for a few days. Arguing is just making people harden their stances.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i think we should put the whole thing on ice for a few days. Arguing is just making people harden their stances.

We can agree there.

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote:i fear that there is another element to this now that Goodes has shown that the booing is getting to him and affecting his game.

Football is tribal, fans like to win and like to hate the opposition.If the booing is getting under his skin. this will be like a green light to those who love sledging.

Show an aussie a weakness on the footy field and he will most likely try and exploit it.

Nothing racist about that. some may claim it is poor sportsman ship, but not racism.

I think he has unfortunately run his race. It would be a real national disgrace however if the man has been run out of football.
There has to be a line drawn as to what is acceptable and what is not. The current behaviour of those who boo Goodes and the media commentators who seek to justify that behaviour have crossed the line of decency. A pox on the lot of them.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
#gosaintas
Club Player

If we don't want to be racist, can we say he looks neanderthal?

happy feet
Club Player

saynta wrote:i fear that there is another element to this now that Goodes has shown that the booing is getting to him and affecting his game.

There has to be a line drawn as to what is acceptable and what is not. The current behaviour of those who boo Goodes and the media commentators who seek to justify that behaviour have crossed the line of decency. A pox on the lot of them.