Math thread v North

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: Math thread v North

Well done Bruce. Disappointing result after a good first half - but I thought before the match that we would be beaten by 50 points + today, so not too bad considering.

Swing the axe next week AR. What have we got at Sandy?
Last edited by samuraisaint on Sat 15 Aug 2015 5:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Saint_J
Club Player

Hickley and Longer bloody vanished this qrt?

Saint_J
Club Player

Goddard you champ

kalsaint
Club Player

Saint_J wrote:really hard to watch now... really painful.

*now i have a small idea of how the Doggies fans felt :D * :x
This is a really good point. I too feel that the game was lost early due to the ineffective licking. The tiredness is always going to be a factor and this will effect the effort in the second half. Nonetheless I am not happy that this effort tailed off so badly in the middle. When 5 goals were licked in the third the coach needed to intervene and make changes. Minchington change was not enough and too late. Some of the bigger bodies needed to be in the centre as Jack was tagged out.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Holding the ball and high tackle rules have been applied really inconsistently in the second half.

Saunders got swung 360 over the line and pinged, the north bloke did the same thing for a throw in.

Roberton gets headlocked for no free where Boomer and Higgins got frees for ducking.

Not much of an impact on the outcome but it probably certainly made the scoreboard a bit less respectable than it should have been.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saint_J
Club Player

suck peanuts Drew!

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Holding the ball and high tackle rules have been applied really inconsistently in the second half.

Saunders got swung 360 over the line and pinged, the north bloke did the same thing for a throw in.

Roberton gets headlocked for no free where Boomer and Higgins got frees for ducking.

Not much of an impact on the outcome but it probably certainly made the scoreboard a bit less respectable than it should have been.
When are you going to realise that ducking the head is an acceptable way to stage for frees/break tackles? Geelong and West Coast have made an art form of it.

Saint_J
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Holding the ball and high tackle rules have been applied really inconsistently in the second half.

i'm bloody over this atm, first half of the year it was consistent now it's to a point not even the bloody umpires know when it is or not.

Saint_J
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:

When are you going to realise that ducking the head is an acceptable way to stage for frees/break tackles? Geelong and West Coast have made an art form of it.
a few of the Norf players are experts as well Thomas could have had a gold logie.

kalsaint
Club Player

Thoroughly disappointed and pissed off that the club can capitulate in this way. Effort can only go so far. Kicking must be addressed to provide hope that its all worth it.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
Saint_J wrote:really hard to watch now... really painful.

*now i have a small idea of how the Doggies fans felt :D * :x
This is a really good point. I too feel that the game was lost early due to the ineffective licking. The tiredness is always going to be a factor and this will effect the effort in the second half. Nonetheless I am not happy that this effort tailed off so badly in the middle. When 5 goals were licked in the third the coach needed to intervene and make changes. Minchington change was not enough and too late. Some of the bigger bodies needed to be in the centre as Jack was tagged out.
A major concern is the ease with which sides win the ball out of the centre against us. This has been so commonplace 2013-15, and it is something which needs to be addressed over the pre-season. It won't change this year.

Saint_J
Club Player

kalsaint wrote:Thoroughly disappointed and pissed off that the club can capitulate in this way. Effort can only go so far. Kicking must be addressed to provide hope that its all worth it.
yep i've got that robbed feeling as well. half time was thinking we were home. :evil:

seano1
Club Player

Saint_J wrote:Goddard you champ
He is looking good for a young bloke......once he gains confidence to kick the ball even better

Freebird
Club Player

seb ross does not hurt the opposition

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Agree with the umpiring Goldstein is one of their babies. He was caught holding or incorrect disposal 3 tiems and last and not one free kick. Yet the other way was holding the ball, very poor umpiring.

I will say it again Seb Ross should be traded this year. The guy cant run cant turn and cant kick what in heavens name does our club and coach see him? He makes Stephen Powell look like Usain Bolt he will never make it!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
kalsaint
Club Player

Saint_J wrote:Hickley and Longer bloody vanished this qrt?
Along with a heap of others from about 5 minutes into the third quarter. Its difficult when you have the balance of possession and then have to spend the rest of the afternoon chasing bums. The midfield needed fixing within 10-15 minutes after the first Saints goal in the third qtr. Players were tired at half time and even more so at completion of the 3rd qtr. Good effort guys to contain the score line in the last qtr.
We need to have players with bigger bodies in the middle to be more competitive for 4 quarters. I don't think the big win in the Essendon game proved anything other than they do alright when no pressure applied.

We just stopped spreading anf taking our chances and when we did we turned it over again. Kicking skills phssst.

seano1
Club Player

3 games to go ...our blokes look tired and carrying injuries I feel . As these games are against finalists I don't think we will win we may as well chuck in a few more young blokes and mix it up a bit see how they shape up and give them a reward for the hard work they have put in and give them a taste of the big time for next year

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Geez they kicked over 90 points in 2 quarters.

Was very happy with the first half, but definitely some things to be fixed. Guys looked stuffed, and I think acres really needs a solid preseason along with some other.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

seano1 wrote:3 games to go ...our blokes look tired and carrying injuries I feel . As these games are against finalists I don't think we will win we may as well chuck in a few more young blokes and mix it up a bit see how they shape up and give them a reward for the hard work they have put in and give them a taste of the big time for next year

Yep - agreed. And also - we have at least been competitive against North and Freo. Cannot be denied we have had a dip the past two weeks.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

As promising as our future looks, we still have too many players with below standard kicking skills. Guys like Gilbert, Saunders, Wright and Ross cannot be counted on under pressure. We need two more strong drafts and some strong trading to bring in players with strong foot skills. Until we do this, we will continue to turn the ball over under pressure and give away easy goals.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:Geez they kicked over 90 points in 2 quarters.

Was very happy with the first half, but definitely some things to be fixed. Guys looked stuffed, and I think acres really needs a solid preseason along with some other.
A massive positive of this game was that we were still in the game until the last quarter when Higgins kicked that goal to put them 5 clear goals in front.

kalsaint
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:Agree with the umpiring Goldstein is one of their babies. He was caught holding or incorrect disposal 3 tiems and last and not one free kick. Yet the other way was holding the ball, very poor umpiring.

I will say it again Seb Ross should be traded this year. The guy cant run cant turn and cant kick what in heavens name does our club and coach see him? He makes Stephen Powell look like Usain Bolt he will never make it!

LOL

+1

Being played to see if he will make it IMO. He wont unless he improves radically. Good at VFL level but too slow and cumbersome at AFL. I honestly thought this bloke would make it. I'm obviously wrong. :? :cry:

I am still of the opinion we lost the best opportunity in the draft when we didn't go for Petracca. Love Paddy too but we need to build on midfield strengths with quality forward entries. Petracca was the bull we needed for this. We still have to do something in this area to be competitive.

kalsaint
Club Player

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:As promising as our future looks, we still have too many players with below standard kicking skills. Guys like Gilbert, Saunders, Wright and Ross cannot be counted on under pressure. We need two more strong drafts and some strong trading to bring in players with strong foot skills. Until we do this, we will continue to turn the ball over under pressure and give away easy goals.
+1

S.A Saint
Club Player

What im miffed about is gilbert being in the centre bounce.. For heavens sake get him out of there and give minch/acres in there!!

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Well,that was interesting and very very very disappointing.

Very poor decision making after half time, starting off with Hickey trying to play on after marking and still surrounded by norf players.

What was Wright thinking. Kicking the ball to Sammy surrounded by three norf players. Lower your eyes Nathan. If there are three on one, some other saints players have to be free somewhere.

And what were the Saints selectors thinking picking Saunders. Well at least they now must have confirmation he's a spud.

marksworth would have been a better bet, in my opinion.

I'm still angry and this cold hole ain't helping my mood. Waste of a trip.