Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dunstan

Con Gorozidis wrote:Controversial but I am not convinced. Looks to me like a Mark McGough type. May have already seen the best of him at 19 yo. Not sure about his upside at this point. Looks like he is 35. Was off the pace tonight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McGough
Lenny was slow too.
McGough was ideally suited by the slower pace of the VFL where he could star but his running and reactions were too slow for the AFL.
On the other hand Lenny could read the play and could create time for himself by feinting.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
FQF
SS Life Member

The obsession on this forum over 'leg speed' is absolutely misplaced. The speedy mids are the exceptions NOT the rule. I could rattle off a very long list of the competition's best midfielders who are all clearly not speedy players.

Luke has neat skills, excellent contested footy ability, game smarts, courage and endeavour. To say that he has peaked is just classic impatient, irrational supporter claptrap.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The obsession on this forum over 'leg speed' is absolutely misplaced. The speedy mids are the exceptions NOT the rule. I could rattle off a very long list of the competition's best midfielders who are all clearly not speedy players.

Luke has neat skills, excellent contested footy ability, game smarts, courage and endeavour. To say that he has peaked is just classic impatient, irrational supporter claptrap.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Controversial but I am not convinced. Looks to me like a Mark McGough type. May have already seen the best of him at 19 yo. Not sure about his upside at this point. Looks like he is 35. Was off the pace tonight.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_McGough
Lenny was slow too.
McGough was ideally suited by the slower pace of the VFL where he could star but his running and reactions were too slow for the AFL.
On the other hand Lenny could read the play and could create time for himself by feinting.
Feigning

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
matrix
Saintsational Legend

needs to drop a few kilos in those legs and get some endurance running training into him
if youre not fast you need to be able to run constantly all day

is a gun inside ala luke ball

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:The obsession on this forum over 'leg speed' is absolutely misplaced. The speedy mids are the exceptions NOT the rule. I could rattle off a very long list of the competition's best midfielders who are all clearly not speedy players.

It isnt his leg speed that worries me. You may well be right but not everyone is on the same improvement curve. There are no guarantees he will just follow in the path of Armo and Lenny. He is a neat player with a nice left foot kick on him, but just as it is impatient supporter clap trap to write him off, it is also supporter clap trap to just assume he is going to follow in the footsteps of an all time great like Lenny. Just because Lenny mentored him doesnt make him Lenny. Remember how excited we were when Kosi gave Spencer his jumper number?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:The other thing we need to factor in is that if we actually draft/trade in quality midfielders, the defiencies in Luke's games won't be so marked.

A players like Hayes or Dal to a lesser degree were never overly quick but having faster players in the team drew away from that flaw and allowed them to better utilise their strengths. For Lenny it was toughness and leadership, for Dal it was disposal and composure
100% agree, if we still had an all Australian form Nick Dal Santo in our line-up Jack Stevens disposal efficiency would be so much better because he would have someone to take a bit of attention from him.

Mids, mids, mids... We need to get more and more quality ones and the good players we have will become very good.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
one point
Club Player

Dunstan's game would be improved if he had more pace but I don't think that's critical. Players like Greg Williams and Sam Mitchell were also slow but both had a capacity to create a little time and space around them and then importantly be efficient with hand or foot. Dunstan has some serious work to do both on his evasive skills and on his disposal efficiency. He is a very hard worker time will tell if he can bring some silk to his game.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Dunstan's been good this year IMO - maybe not quite like last year. Some of the very best midfielders in the AFL are not so quick, are they?
Very likely prospect, smart, courageous, neat left foot kick - give him time.

Not the first negative thread started on Dunstan is it? Not long ago it was Seb Ross that was slow and not much good.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:

It isnt his leg speed that worries me. You may well be right but not everyone is on the same improvement curve. There are no guarantees he will just follow in the path of Armo and Lenny. He is a neat player with a nice left foot kick on him, but just as it is impatient supporter clap trap to write him off, it is also supporter clap trap to just assume he is going to follow in the footsteps of an all time great like Lenny. Just because Lenny mentored him doesnt make him Lenny. Remember how excited we were when Kosi gave Spencer his jumper number?
It's one thing to say he won't be Lenny, it's way too early to tell. But it's another to say he won't improve any further, that he's already peaked. There's simply no reason to think that and many many reasons to think that he will get better with experience.

Heidelberg_Saint
Club Player

If you're not the quickest midfielder running around, then your disposal needs to be clean and accurate. His kicking has always concerned me, although, possibly linked to fatigue of a young player??

Saint wagga
Club Player

I like the way dunstan is being developed this year, not solely in the centre square but going forward. He is very good overhead, courageous and love his kicking action, it will be solid under pressure for set shots in big games I feel!

Won't ever be the quickest, but think he will be a very very good player for us. If he can hone the nous to be in the right spot, he will maximise his pace and building endurance. Liked his game last night.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I hope he improves and I like the kid. Tough as nails and from the Clare Valley. Whats not to like?
Just saying its not a sure thing. Last year I had him down as a sure thing. Now I am slightly uncertain. Thats all.

SMS
Club Player

Dunstan has played well this year.
Hes 19 ffs. Kicks straight set shots. Is a beast inside. Great football brain. Did I mention hes 19????
He will be elite.

The Recruit
Club Player

Dunston will be our captain from 2020-2025 born leader. A grader as an inside player he will play 300 games baring injury for the saints. Any other option suggests you do not know or understand football beyond a very superficial level.

he was outstanding in the last quarter

Dunston is a star.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Interested to understand which 2nd year players on our list are ahead of dunstan..?

#1 Ryder fan
SuperDuper
Club Player

SMS wrote:Dunstan has played well this year.
Hes 19 ffs. Kicks straight set shots. Is a beast inside. Great football brain. Did I mention hes 19????
He will be elite.
well yes, you did say it twice.. but he is 20. Will be 21 in January

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Dunston will be our captain from 2020-2025 born leader. A grader as an inside player he will play 300 games baring injury for the saints. Any other option suggests you do not know or understand football beyond a very superficial level.

Dunston is a star.
Who is Dunston?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Recruit wrote:Dunston will be our captain from 2020-2025 born leader. A grader as an inside player he will play 300 games baring injury for the saints. Any other option suggests you do not know or understand football beyond a very superficial level.

Dunston is a star.
Amazing crystal ball that you can predict 5-10 years in advance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Interested to understand which 2nd year players on our list are ahead of dunstan..?
None, but Mark McGough also looked pretty awesome in his 2nd year. Same draft as Dane Swan who took two years to debut.

The Recruit
Club Player

Just don't understand how people on this site really don't get footy. Con did you watch the game or have you watched him play the last 2 years?
His toughness, tackling and inside grunt is as good as any at 19yrs of age......the club also loves his leadership off the field for such a young kid.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dunston is a star.

I thought Lenny Hayes was a Saints champion and he did neither of what you have suggested Dunstan will do. He may or may not do either of those things but to suggest you only know footy at a superficial level because you don't think he will captain for 6 years and play 300 games is a bit over the top. He is going very well but that is a huge leap.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

McGough couldn't even kick properly so Dunstan has him covered there.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
spert
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:McGough couldn't even kick properly so Dunstan has him covered there.
McGough had good skills hand and foot, was a bit slow though. Dunstan will continue to improve, and don't forget Lenny didn't set the world on fire until his body matured a bit into his mid 20s

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:Interested to understand which 2nd year players on our list are ahead of dunstan..?
None, but Mark McGough also looked pretty awesome in his 2nd year. Same draft as Dane Swan who took two years to debut.
So no 2nd players are ahead of him, we persist on comparing him to McGough (who had dismal skills by foot) and on that basis we've written him off?

junk thread

#1 Ryder fan