I think we'll get a top 4 pick in the draft.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: I think we'll get a top 4 pick in the draft.

All the above means our second pick will be at 23 or 24 if there are no free agent queue jumpers..
But a more reasonable expectation would be picks 5 or 6 and a second pick like 27.

Then our 3rd round pick at about 47 and our 4th round at about 67.

We have little in the way of trade bait - we either want to keep them ourselves or nobody else would want them.

Essendon look likely to turn over a lot of players and may be willing to trade a second round pick to pickup multiple third round picks.
Otherwise we have to trade both our second & fourth round picks or second & third round pick to improve our second pick.
We don't need heaps more GOPs we need a few more stars.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

After tonight Bennell becomes more attractive. Our chances of picking up Parish just dropped a notch.
For those that watch junior footy - how do they rate Balic?

I am willing to go on record on this - if we miss both Parish and Bennell, I think we should take our chances on Ah Chee. We have enough stodgy mids. I think Ross and Acres are going to make it as insiders. But we need some outside run to help Steven and Billings out.

ace
Saintsational Legend

What about Bailey Rice.
Father son option for both St Kilda and Carlton - father Dean Rice played over 100 games for both clubs.
Player gets to accept father-son nomination, but a club with a pick immediately below will force a reasonable pick to be spent.
Why anyone would accept a Carlton father-son over St Kilda at the moment I can't imagine.

We could bid for him with our round 3rd round pick but would probably trumped by Carlton, Melbourne or Essendon bidding their 3rd round picks.
We wold then need to assess whether we use our 2nd round, then it is up to Carlton whether they will bid their 2nd rounder.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:What about Bailey Rice.
Father son option for both St Kilda and Carlton - father Dean Rice played over 100 games for both clubs.
Player gets to accept father-son nomination, but a club with a pick immediately below will force a reasonable pick to be spent.
Why anyone would accept a Carlton father-son over St Kilda at the moment I can't imagine.

We could bid for him with our round 3rd round pick but would probably trumped by Carlton, Melbourne or Essendon bidding their 3rd round picks.
We wold then need to assess whether we use our 2nd round, then it is up to Carlton whether they will bid their 2nd rounder.
Apart from being Dean Rice's kid has Bailey Rice ever touched the ball???

What about this Sam Petrevski-Seton kid? Made the Under 18 AA but still under-age and cant go in this years draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-04/v ... alian-team

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport ... re-talent/

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:That makes our pick either 5 or 6 assuming no first round compensation picks for free agents for Carltank, Bristank, Essentank or Melbtank.
Realistically there'll be a couple of academy players ahead of us as well, which makes it probably 7.

ace
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
ace wrote:That makes our pick either 5 or 6 assuming no first round compensation picks for free agents for Carltank, Bristank, Essentank or Melbtank.
Realistically there'll be a couple of academy players ahead of us as well, which makes it probably 7.
Callum Mills (Sydney)
Josh Dunkley (Sydney father-son rule)
Jacob Hopper (GWS)
Matthew Kennedy (GWS)
Ben Keays (Brisbane)
Eric Hipwood (Brisbane)
That makes 2 each for Sydney, GWS and Brisbane.
They can choose which of two they get with their first round pick but may be out bid by another club using that club's first round pick on the other player.

If we wanted either of the two Sydney or two GWS players they will have been taken by a promoted first round pick.
Example Carlton has pick 1 but can't take Mills (Sydney), Hopper (GWS) or Keays (Brisbane) if they wanted.
If Brisbane fail to take Keays at pick 2 they leave him vulnerable to another clubs first round pick.

That makes the effective draft order
1. Brisbane (academy pick) promoted 1 pick
2. GWS (academy pick) promoted 6 picks
3. Sydney (academy pick) promoted 12 picks
4. Carlton demoted 3 picks
5. Gold Coast demoted 2 picks
6. Essendon demoted 2 picks
7. Melbourne demoted 2 picks
8. St Kilda demoted 2 picks
9. Collingwood demoted 2 picks
10. Port Adelaide demoted 1 pick
11. Geelong demoted 1 pick
12. North Melbourne demoted 1 pick
13. Adelaide demoted 1 pick
14. Richmond demoted 1 pick
15. Bulldogs demoted 1 pick
16. Hawthorn no change
17. West Coast no change
18. Fremantle no change

Playon
Club Player

Looks like pick 6, Melbourne are tanking again in a big way

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Never underestimate Melbourne's ability to stuff it up. Go Blues.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:Looks like pick 6, Melbourne are tanking again in a big way
Yep, And Carlton has blown the wooden spoon and the no 1 draft pick.

Austinnn
Club Player

Now THAT's how you tank! Sensational effort from the Melbourne Demons to go for the picks over meaningless character-building wins. Those guys are gonna be awesome with all their early draft picks. They are playing the game and exploiting the system which is great for their supporters who are not clogged up with the outdated emotive garbage of their team creating strong team spirit by winning together.

I mean we lost to Carlton too, but to lose at this stage to them, when the clubs around them are all happy to play out a the season and pick up those hit draft picks, that's real determination.

Maybe it's just the players not liking being publicly bagged by their coach for the last two weeks, and this is their way of getting him out. Dunno why they couldn't have burnt a dwarf or something instead.

The question is will the club immediately respond and give roos the bullet now, and bed- in that crows noob OR wait until the end of season, swallow a couple more pathetic losses (what's a couple more?) and gleefully gobble up the best draft pick possible.

WHAT will they do??

We know what they will do. Thank God we are not that.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Now THAT's how you tank! Sensational effort from the Melbourne Demons to go for the picks over meaningless character-building wins. Those guys are gonna be awesome with all their early draft picks. They are playing the game and exploiting the system which is great for their supporters who are not clogged up with the outdated emotive garbage of their team creating strong team spirit by winning together.

I mean we lost to Carlton too, but to lose at this stage to them, when the clubs around them are all happy to play out a the season and pick up those hit draft picks, that's real determination.

Maybe it's just the players not liking being publicly bagged by their coach for the last two weeks, and this is their way of getting him out. Dunno why they couldn't have burnt a dwarf or something instead.

The question is will the club immediately respond and give roos the bullet now, and bed- in that crows noob OR wait until the end of season, swallow a couple more pathetic losses (what's a couple more?) and gleefully gobble up the best draft pick possible.

WHAT will they do??

We know what they will do. Thank God we are not that.

So you honestly think the players aren't trying? of course they are. Some will even be delisted. They are just not very good.

Austinnn
Club Player

You may be right Plugger. They have to be pretty bad though. As do Carlton. I thought the Dees were better. They do have master coach Roos after all.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:You may be right Plugger. They have to be pretty bad though. As do Carlton. I thought the Dees were better. They do have master coach Roos after all.
They also have heaps of good picks and still cant win. Surely if any club knows tanking doesn't work its them. Its also a lesson that early picks guarantee exactly nothing.

Austinnn
Club Player

Only if they stay on the tanking cycle. There will always be a desire for a top up... Just one more pick, then I'll quit, I swear... Meanwhile the club and all involved in it are wasting away.

But I guess all their guns will just get switched on in a few years and their days of trying not so hard to win will just be forgotten.

I know a few ex junkies and you'd never know their history: it can happen.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Melbourne you cheating bastards. I am furious. :evil:

evo
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Melbourne you cheating bastards. I am furious. :evil:
But its alright if we did it ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
If we did what? We haven't cheated. No suggestion of it anywhere by anyone. Melbourne were despicable today and I don't trust Roos at all. He has announced he is leaving so win: loss is not his major concern. The list is. Not sure how you are bringing us into it. We were terrific last night.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
evo wrote:
If we did what? We haven't cheated. No suggestion of it anywhere by anyone. Melbourne were despicable today and I don't trust Roos at all. He has announced he is leaving so win: loss is not his major concern. The list is. Not sure how you are bringing us into it. We were terrific last night.

So you are suggesting the players didn't try deliberately?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Pretty pathetic by the Dees. Pretty interested in what we do in the off season now, chances of traded the pick probably increased. trade for Bennel and steak knives (the Savage kind would be nice).

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I would say that Melbourne would have been gutted by the lack of effort today when the game was there to be won. They have had three fantastic wins this year and with the maturation of guys like Hogan, Gawn and McDonald, they should be above us on the ladder. I was shocked that they let Carlton get off to a nine goal headstart, but to be honest nothing Melbourne does should surprise any of us anymore. They are still a chance to go above us in the final round, if the beat GWS, but I am a lot less certain of how they will go after today.
Essendon nearly proved me partly right yesterday, but ultimately fell short.
I was rapt with the way we played last night. A real 4 quarter effort, and I think it shows that we are getting quite a list together.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:All the above means our second pick will be at 23 or 24 if there are no free agent queue jumpers..
But a more reasonable expectation would be picks 5 or 6 and a second pick like 27.

We have little in the way of trade bait - we either want to keep them ourselves or nobody else would want them.

Essendon look likely to turn over a lot of players and may be willing to trade a second round pick to pickup multiple third round picks.
Otherwise we have to trade both our second & fourth round picks or second & third round pick to improve our second pick.

Essendon are notoriously difficult to trade with.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
ace wrote:All the above means our second pick will be at 23 or 24 if there are no free agent queue jumpers..

Essendon are notoriously difficult to trade with.
Yep. A real case of buyer beware with those turds. Lovett was just the tip of the iceberg.

Playon
Club Player

saynta wrote:
Playon wrote:Looks like pick 6, Melbourne are tanking again in a big way
Yep, And Carlton has blown the wooden spoon and the no 1 draft pick.
Which in itself gives Brisbane the perfect excuse to ask for a priority pick

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am not sure pick 1 v 2 matters much.
Carlton and the Lions will be happy with either Weitering or Schache. Splittng hairs. Anyone who tells you that one is clearly better than the other is kidding themselves.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am not sure pick 1 v 2 matters much.
Carlton and the Lions will be happy with either Weitering or Schache. Splittng hairs. Anyone who tells you that one is clearly better than the other is kidding themselves.

What happens if Luenberger leaves through FA and the club that wants him gives him a big and long enough contract to get compensation of the next pick in round one? Its a chance.