Booing goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Booing goodes

terry smith rules wrote:As someone else said earlier at least we know where we stand with some on here.

For those who still think it ok to boo .. read this http://www.theaustralian.com.au/life/we ... 5bb21b1503

So simply if you agree with the comments yelled by the pies supporter then sorry there is no hope.

However if you think that they are disgusting but you still think it is ok to boo, then by booing you are giving him support, because yes we cannot differentiate between the racist booing and the theatrical booing. Therefore the simple anwser is don't boo and let the racist stand alone.

fqf
Fantastic read. Thanks for posting that.

I can relate to the person quoted here.

" I don’t think it’s ever acceptable to boo anybody in such a horrible, mean-spirited way,” Sarah says.

Superboot
SS Life Member

mullet wrote:
dragit wrote:
Superboot wrote:
mullet wrote:Oh come on guys.

Everyone at the game knows he got booed at his first touch. He didn't get booed again. I think people told the booers to shut up.
This.

I was at the game.

He was roundly and loudly booed the first time he touched the ball and no umpire's decisions, or flailing elbows, were involved. Anyone who claims otherwise is deluded.

Fortunately, it did die down, and eventually was heard again only in the context of the play.

A bit of a reality check for me. I'm one of those who thought we might take the opportunity to show we are better than that, even if we aren't.
I think this scenario is even better…

While completely unrealistic to expect a membership base of 40,000 people from all walks of life be on the same page...

I think it's great that the majority made those who were booing feel so uncomfortable that they realised their behavior was unacceptable.
Yep he definitely got booed but lets not assume it was racist related. If you are going to quote me, then quote all I said.
Yes he got booed, was it racial? would need to ask every booer. Were the booers stopped, yep . Some people chose to give goodes a standing ovation every time he went near the ball. I donot believe that everyone who booed is a racist. As I have said in an earlier post I believe everyone should be treated equally, however it seems that someone can decide its racist even if there are no racist undertones and even if there is no factual evidence of racism. That upsets me.
Never suggested the booing was racist, and I've never been convinced that racism has been the basis for any of the booing of Goodes.

Didn't think I had quoted selectively, and certainly had no sense of quoting out of context, but sorry if that's how it seems.

Under the circumstances, booing Goodes on this particular occasion, before he had a chance to do anything to deserve it, was unwise and a bad look.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
It doesn't make you racist but it makes you insensitive.
Did I boo Goodes for any other reason other than football related. You can tell me because you know obviously.
gringo wrote: If you can't stop despite the fact you know it can be assumed to be racist it's going to reflect badly on our club.
So now even with the OK from the chairman of the Sydney Swans, we can even make our displeasure known at football decisions, because some simpletons will call RACIST!!!!!!!!!! Please :roll:
gringo wrote: It effects our sponsorship, it could effect the decision of guys like Motlop and Bennell to come to our club
Is this some sort of sick joke? Maybe Jason Holmes will go home because someone booed an opposition player who got a gift free kick. If you are truly serious, you really have no idea at all.
gringo wrote: it effects the guy getting booed and it makes us an international embarrassment.
The only embarrassment are arrogant halfwits to project their own insecurities and racism by labelling everyone else as a racist. It is quite incredible. You really think you and your zealots can stop booing of a bad decision on the football field.

Are you really that deluded? Do you really think your faux moralising achieves anything especially when any of the booing I heard had nothing to do with race at all?

What are you people trying to achieve? To browbeat and attack anyone that isn't you skewed and warped mindset?
gringo wrote: It made overseas news.
I cant control one or two hundred people at the start of the game being an idiot, but you think you have the right to control people supporting their team. You want people to sit in silence when a terrible decision is made against their team?

Goodes was not booed by anyone around me except for when he got pinged for HTB and then for the gift 50. So now we cant vent our frustration because someone will construe it as racist? Fot gods sake what is wrong with you people?
gringo wrote: It's not how I want my club or country to be viewed and I hope that people who would like the right to boo might think of the bigger picture rather than knuckling down for a fight over their individual right to abuse anyone they want.
Viewed by whom and foe what? Build a wonderful straw man argument and then proceed to label everyone racist.

Heres news for you. While you make a parlour game out of faux racism our government is abusing asylum seekers in off shore detention facilities. You don't our country seen as racist? Lol - too late sunshine.

You don't want our club to be seen as racist, well good Andrew Pridham has said there was no problem with Saints fans yesterday. But you and your moralising projectionist brigade what to tut tut and pint finger and label anyone crossing your path as racist.

Hmmm - Stalin would have loved the way you people think (or mores to the point don't think).

You are garbage - Enough said
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote:
Did I boo Goodes for any other reason other than football related. You can tell me because you know obviously.
gringo wrote: If you can't stop despite the fact you know it can be assumed to be racist it's going to reflect badly on our club.
So now even with the OK from the chairman of the Sydney Swans, we can even make our displeasure known at football decisions, because some simpletons will call RACIST!!!!!!!!!! Please :roll:
gringo wrote: It effects our sponsorship, it could effect the decision of guys like Motlop and Bennell to come to our club
Is this some sort of sick joke? Maybe Jason Holmes will go home because someone booed an opposition player who got a gift free kick. If you are truly serious, you really have no idea at all.
gringo wrote: it effects the guy getting booed and it makes us an international embarrassment.
The only embarrassment are arrogant halfwits to project their own insecurities and racism by labelling everyone else as a racist. It is quite incredible. You really think you and your zealots can stop booing of a bad decision on the football field.

Are you really that deluded? Do you really think your faux moralising achieves anything especially when any of the booing I heard had nothing to do with race at all?

What are you people trying to achieve? To browbeat and attack anyone that isn't you skewed and warped mindset?
I cant control one or two hundred people at the start of the game being an idiot, but you think you have the right to control people supporting their team. You want people to sit in silence when a terrible decision is made against their team?

Goodes was not booed by anyone around me except for when he got pinged for HTB and then for the gift 50. So now we cant vent our frustration because someone will construe it as racist? Fot gods sake what is wrong with you people?
gringo wrote: It's not how I want my club or country to be viewed and I hope that people who would like the right to boo might think of the bigger picture rather than knuckling down for a fight over their individual right to abuse anyone they want.
Viewed by whom and foe what? Build a wonderful straw man argument and then proceed to label everyone racist.

Heres news for you. While you make a parlour game out of faux racism our government is abusing asylum seekers in off shore detention facilities. You don't our country seen as racist? Lol - too late sunshine.

You don't want our club to be seen as racist, well good Andrew Pridham has said there was no problem with Saints fans yesterday. But you and your moralising projectionist brigade what to tut tut and pint finger and label anyone crossing your path as racist.

Hmmm - Stalin would have loved the way you people think (or mores to the point don't think).

Hey Bunk do you spend all day writing the comments on the HS forums because it sure sounds like it.

You just don't get it do you.

Read my post again and again. Right now if you boo Goodes then you are masking those who do boo him racially. So ask yourself this question, do I want to be associated with a racist, because right now the answer is yes you are/will associated because you are in unison with the racist and no I repeat no we cannot tell the difference

Can it really be any more simple

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I love all my fellow saints supporters The ones that booed , the ones who couldn't care less even the ones that call me a racist homophobe. I luvsya all

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will state my opinion on this again. Firstly I hardly noticed the booing at the game but those who booed Goodes from the start to the end aree either racist or very ordinary people who don't feel sympathy to others. Those who booed because of incidents in the game whether they saw it right or wrong are just booers and would hopefully do the same to any other player. it isn't that hard to work this out. Surely you don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to understand it.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote:

Well said

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Agree with bunk. And don't forget I luvyas all

mullet
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mullet wrote:If you are going to quote me, then quote all I said.
Sorry Mullet, I actually quoted superboot, who had partially quoted you… not intentional.
All good dragit

loris
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
dragit wrote:
Sorry Mullet, I actually quoted superboot, who had partially quoted you… not intentional.
All good dragit

Hey 'mullet', do you have a 'mullet' hair do? If yes............ I don't like mullets, so - Boooooooooooooooo!! Boooooooooooooooo!! :twisted: :twisted:

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Superboot wrote:
mullet wrote:
dragit wrote:
Superboot wrote:
mullet wrote:Oh come on guys.

Everyone at the game knows he got booed at his first touch. He didn't get booed again. I think people told the booers to shut up.
This.

I was at the game.

He was roundly and loudly booed the first time he touched the ball and no umpire's decisions, or flailing elbows, were involved. Anyone who claims otherwise is deluded.

Fortunately, it did die down, and eventually was heard again only in the context of the play.

A bit of a reality check for me. I'm one of those who thought we might take the opportunity to show we are better than that, even if we aren't.
I think this scenario is even better…

While completely unrealistic to expect a membership base of 40,000 people from all walks of life be on the same page...

I think it's great that the majority made those who were booing feel so uncomfortable that they realised their behavior was unacceptable.
Yep he definitely got booed but lets not assume it was racist related. If you are going to quote me, then quote all I said.
Yes he got booed, was it racial? would need to ask every booer. Were the booers stopped, yep . Some people chose to give goodes a standing ovation every time he went near the ball. I donot believe that everyone who booed is a racist. As I have said in an earlier post I believe everyone should be treated equally, however it seems that someone can decide its racist even if there are no racist undertones and even if there is no factual evidence of racism. That upsets me.
Never suggested the booing was racist, and I've never been convinced that racism has been the basis for any of the booing of Goodes.

Didn't think I had quoted selectively, and certainly had no sense of quoting out of context, but sorry if that's how it seems.

Under the circumstances, booing Goodes on this particular occasion, before he had a chance to do anything to deserve it, was unwise and a bad look.
Thanks Superboot . Can understand you weren't selectively quoting. However I felt by not quoting all I said my opinion got lost. I was happy that people told the booers to stop, but my opinion is that just cos you boo it doesn't make you a racist. There are many opinions on this and I do like to read all opinions whether I agree or not.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Moods
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I couldn't hear the booing watching on tellie, so I'm glad it was only a few… though it is a bit weird when people can't boo a poor decision involving Goodes… probably good if we can try to build some respect though I guess, whatever shape that takes.
How could you NOT hear it? It was blatant and the commentators were commenting on it?

mullet
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
mullet wrote:
dragit wrote:
All good dragit

Hey 'mullet', do you have a 'mullet' hair do? If yes............ I don't like mullets, so - Boooooooooooooooo!! Boooooooooooooooo!! :twisted: :twisted:
No mullet hairdo here Loris. And if I did I would boo myself :D

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
dragit wrote:I couldn't hear the booing watching on tellie, so I'm glad it was only a few… though it is a bit weird when people can't boo a poor decision involving Goodes… probably good if we can try to build some respect though I guess, whatever shape that takes.
How could you NOT hear it? It was blatant and the commentators were commenting on it?
I didn't catch every minute and did miss the beginning, I'm not trying to pretend that it didn't happen but what I watched I didn't notice booing towards Goodes.

I didn't hear the commentators talking about it so must have missed the significant stuff here sorry.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote:

I didn't say you were racist but I think you are starting to show your colours now. So Abbott screwing boat people means we need to just drop anything else because it pales into insignificance? Okay, the black fellas should go out on the sea and then if they make it back they might have something to whine about? What ever...you seem to be enjoying you deep seated inner bogan that has sprung forth from this issue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:

I was on level 2 and didn't hear it apart from when he got a dodgy free. I heard noise every time he got the ball but it wasn't out and out booing.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

gringo wrote: I didn't say you were racist but I think you are starting to show your colours now.
here we go, starting to build the alternate reality. I am showing my colours according to whom? You? Just another label attached by the facile to attempt to shout down anyone who doesn't conform to the apparatchik orthodox view. How dare someone not agree - they must be showing their true colours - aka they are RACIST.

Go on gringo scream it at me, you want to. Then you can pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that youa re fighting the good fight (while all the time living on stolen aboriginal land.

Hypocricy writ LARGE.
gringo wrote: So Abbott screwing boat people means we need to just drop anything else because it pales into insignificance?
that's right there is a moral equivalence between asylum seekers being raped and beaten and treated like animals and a couple of boos about football matters at a game. Yup you got me there
gringo wrote: Okay, the black fellas should go out on the sea and then if they make it back they might have something to whine about? What ever...you seem to be enjoying you deep seated inner bogan that has sprung forth from this issue.

Nice logic. Oh look more shouted abuse and labelling. I'm not just a racist but a bogan racist, all because I would be cowed by you and your faux outrage and pathetic browbeating, especially over a subject that you treat as some sort of parlour game that you can discuss earnestly.

The ultimate slacktivist.

Your moral high ground would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. You live of the fruits of murdered and displaced aboriginies. You live in a land that was invaded and our indegineous population has never be recompensed.

I acknowledge this. I acknowledge that my home is built on stolen land, but I don't go around proselytizing from a base of ignorance and hypocricy.

Your pathetic stance against anyone booing shows your own intolerance and small mindedness.

I never once and have never one booed an Aboriginal footballer for the reason that they are aboriginal. Never would I. But you and your posse of hypocritical clowns go around preaching your moralistic simplicities.

You and your pathetic opinion are a joke and shows your lack of intellectualism and ability to grasp anything more than a concept that is rudimentary.

Quick, I am sure you have the nous and wherewithal to label me something else.

Look in the mirror mate, before accusing anybody else of anything and realise that you are a rascist like everyone else while you live on stolen land.

Might hurt your ego, but it is the truth. Some people faced up to this along time ago.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:

I was on level 2 and didn't hear it apart from when he got a dodgy free. I heard noise every time he got the ball but it wasn't out and out booing.

Obviously your hearing is racist. Has to be, the horde has said so.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:

If people booed from the first bounce until the end of the game then they are racist or have no compassion for another human. If they booed because of incidents in the game then they are just booers. I'm sure we had both at the ground but where I was it wasnt noticeable but you can tell by some, not many, posts on here we do have racists following our club just like every other club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
gringo wrote: I didn't say you were racist but I think you are starting to show your colours now.
here we go, starting to build the alternate reality. I am showing my colours according to whom? You? Just another label attached by the facile to attempt to shout down anyone who doesn't conform to the apparatchik orthodox view. How dare someone not agree - they must be showing their true colours - aka they are RACIST.

Go on gringo scream it at me, you want to. Then you can pat yourself on the back and tell yourself that youa re fighting the good fight (while all the time living on stolen aboriginal land.

Hypocricy writ LARGE.
gringo wrote: So Abbott screwing boat people means we need to just drop anything else because it pales into insignificance?
that's right there is a moral equivalence between asylum seekers being raped and beaten and treated like animals and a couple of boos about football matters at a game. Yup you got me there
gringo wrote: Okay, the black fellas should go out on the sea and then if they make it back they might have something to whine about? What ever...you seem to be enjoying you deep seated inner bogan that has sprung forth from this issue.

Nice logic. Oh look more shouted abuse and labelling. I'm not just a racist but a bogan racist, all because I would be cowed by you and your faux outrage and pathetic browbeating, especially over a subject that you treat as some sort of parlour game that you can discuss earnestly.

The ultimate slacktivist.

Your moral high ground would be hilarious if it wasn't so pathetic. You live of the fruits of murdered and displaced aboriginies. You live in a land that was invaded and our indegineous population has never be recompensed.

I acknowledge this. I acknowledge that my home is built on stolen land, but I don't go around proselytizing from a base of ignorance and hypocricy.

Your pathetic stance against anyone booing shows your own intolerance and small mindedness.

I never once and have never one booed an Aboriginal footballer for the reason that they are aboriginal. Never would I. But you and your posse of hypocritical clowns go around preaching your moralistic simplicities.

You and your pathetic opinion are a joke and shows your lack of intellectualism and ability to grasp anything more than a concept that is rudimentary.

Quick, I am sure you have the nous and wherewithal to label me something else.

Look in the mirror mate, before accusing anybody else of anything and realise that you are a rascist like everyone else while you live on stolen land.

Might hurt your ego, but it is the truth. Some people faced up to this along time ago.
You can rant about it all you want but you can't read. I said you are not racist but while what you do can be misconstrued as racist you should stop so our brand isn't tarred with your brush. Have a huge gorge on being a dick all you want but do it away from where our club gets your s*** smeared on it. Your "my rights are more important than the feelings of Adam Goodes" is intolerant nonsense. You might not be a racist but you are acting like a dick. I think you are like Andrew Bolt, dining out on the enjoyment of shitting other people who's views you offer a contrary point too. All the while the genius is that you don't really even believe it. I don't mind being called a slacktivist, Id rather be an inert tolerant person than a puff chested individualist wanker.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Moods wrote:

If people booed from the first bounce until the end of the game then they are racist or have no compassion for another human. If they booed because of incidents in the game then they are just booers. I'm sure we had both at the ground but where I was it wasnt noticeable but you can tell by some, not many, posts on here we do have racists following our club just like every other club.
that's probably a pretty fair summary and not getting in a huff either way. The truth usually is in the middle. It's just such a shame after so much work to paint our club in a positive light after we managed to cut our noses off at any sign of success off field for years.

Austinnn
Club Player

EDIT: my response to bunk was a bit ott, so I've cut it. My response to saynta was based on my assumption that many collingwood supporters didn't think they were racist either, just didn't like Nicky the man. I have no evidence to prove that, only heard the opinions of a handful. Anyway I scratched that too.

I'm gonna try and focus on footy on this site, the political debates are not worth it for me. Bit of a lost cause, sad to say. Good on you guys who want to keep banging your head on the wall. Like I said in my last comment, and as Plugger mentioned, the posts on this topic say all there is to say about the posters, and I don't think anyone will change their mind about it, so let history be the judge.

We reap what we sow.
Last edited by Austinnn on Mon 31 Aug 2015 7:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

on an ipad so i cant be bothered quoting and then deleting half a page of discussion. but this from above

"Read my post again and again. Right now if you boo Goodes then you are masking those who do boo him racially. So ask yourself this question, do I want to be associated with a racist, because right now the answer is yes you are/will associated because you are in unison with the racist and no I repeat no we cannot tell the difference"

represents Orwellian thought and it worries me that people are so willingly coerced into a behaviour, let alone try to compell others to also fit into their preferred boundaries.
Are we really so feebleminded as to not be able to differentiate? Here's a clue - if the booing is in response to an action - i.e. kicking for goal, receiving an iffy free kick, rough play, etc - we can assume the vast majority are booing to disrupt or voice their displeasure, not their racial bias. you seriously expect people to stop indulging in a bit of what is the equivalent of mass banter because some amongst them may use the opportunity to indulge in a racial hissyfit? Where does this token repression of behaviour end? Should protesters keep quiet knowing some rare few amongst them are likely to be somewhat more undesirable in their intentions towards their target than we would think civil? surely if those that hate violence and intolerance just kept quiet or simply didn't attend, we could out and arrest the more violent and agitated among us?
Sorry but i find your reasoning somewhat totalitarian and hope by god that type of thinking remains with a minority. History tells us otherwise - it flares up, enters the political arena, causes untold suffering, then waits as the world forgets again.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gringo
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:on an ipad so i cant be bothered quoting and then deleting half a page of discussion. but this from above

"Read my post again and again. Right now if you boo Goodes then you are masking those who do boo him racially. So ask yourself this question, do I want to be associated with a racist, because right now the answer is yes you are/will associated because you are in unison with the racist and no I repeat no we cannot tell the difference"

represents Orwellian thought and it worries me that people are so willingly coerced into a behaviour, let alone try to compell others to also fit into their preferred boundaries.
Are we really so feebleminded as to not be able to differentiate? Here's a clue - if the booing is in response to an action - i.e. kicking for goal, receiving an iffy free kick, rough play, etc - we can assume the vast majority are booing to disrupt or voice their displeasure, not their racial bias. you seriously expect people to stop indulging in a bit of what is the equivalent of mass banter because some amongst them may use the opportunity to indulge in a racial hissyfit? Where does this token repression of behaviour end? Should protesters keep quiet knowing some rare few amongst them are likely to be somewhat more undesirable in their intentions towards their target than we would think civil? surely if those that hate violence and intolerance just kept quiet or simply didn't attend, we could out and arrest the more violent and agitated among us?
Sorry but i find your reasoning somewhat totalitarian and hope by god that type of thinking remains with a minority. History tells us otherwise - it flares up, enters the political arena, causes untold suffering, then waits as the world forgets again.

That is really selling the argument short. If the only booing was from free kicks it would be fine. He gets booed from the start to finish. Not all our fans did that but some did. No one has stopped them or removed them from a stadium so I don't get where the totalitarianism is. The argument you put forward is like saying if you don't allow complete freedom to act how you want the state will control every aspect of your lives. It's the same argument the gun lobby in the US use. What if I don't see a problem with groping women on a train, perhaps I shouldn't be shackled by these mind police stopping me. What if I prefer theft, who's to say who has moral authority over me. Anyone who gets in my way is a totalitarian Orwellian ogre.