Is the only way forward - South?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Is the only way forward - South?

Listening to SEN this morning - There is a possibility that Brisbane will get a Priority draft pick before anyone else - because they are so much of a basket case. If they were not in Brisbane - and the AFL did not want so desperately to be a national competition - would this even be an option????

The AFL are talking of a team in Tasmania - It would kill me if it was us - but I would still support and love the "Southern Saints" - and maybe then we will be back on an even playing field.

Get out of the Ethihad Stadium deal
Be treated like a team instead of the 'Creepy Uncle' at a BBQ
Still get the same number of games in Victoria (just need a special away team membership)

As I said - I would hate to see it happening - but I have a feeling that it will!!!!

TL:DR - I have a feeling the "Southern Saints" will be re-incarnated in Tasmania

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is the only way forward - South?

So you went from a priority pick for Brisbane to the saints relocating to Tasmania? Just to feel wanted?

Let's be honest - brisbane's list has been gutted. I'd say a fault of their own in terms of management. And thinking further wouldn't it be great to have carlton finish last again and not get the number one pick? Brisbane might get a good deal but I'm not going to waste time on its 'unfair' treatment for a growing state nor would I even consider moving the team in spite of this.

Looks like we are prepared to trade pick 6 anyways so won't affect too much.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:Listening to SEN this morning - There is a possibility that Brisbane will get a Priority draft pick before anyone else - because they are so much of a basket case. If they were not in Brisbane - and the AFL did not want so desperately to be a national competition - would this even be an option????
If Melbourne didn't get one after years of being garbage then Brisbane shouldn't get one. It's no good giving them a priority pick only for the player picked to leave after two years.
They'd be better off having salary cap relief to retain players...wait a minute...

When Brisbane had the COLA they used it in the way it was intended. They drafted and retained players and didn't use it to lure big name Melbourne based players (or St Kilda forwards) to Brisbane (unlike Sydney). Lynch was the big exception but they got him in 1994 on a 10 year deal (or thereabouts) and had to endure him missing large chunks of a season with CFS. The core of their 2001, 2002 & 2003 side where players they drafted and retained and they used the COLA to retain them.
The Melbourne lynch mob (led by the Collingwood president) went hard at Brisbane but really, they did exactly what Hawthorn are doing without the FA influx. Drafted and developed a very good football team.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

M voss has set them back a fair bit
I suspect, like the great Rob Harvey or Tim Watson, great players NOT coaches

“Yeah….nah””
FQF
SS Life Member

Surely it would be a first that a team is awarded a priority pick when they didn't finish last?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:M voss has set them back a fair bit
I suspect, like the great Rob Harvey or Tim Watson, great players NOT coaches
Leigh Matthews was a pretty good player.
BTW...Bit harsh on Banger given that he hasn't had the chance to take the reigns of a team yet.

Voss wasn't that bad he made the rookie error of trying to top-up with experience for another tilt instead of investing in youth. Not the first coach to do that and won't be the last.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think Nth Melb is the most likely to relocate to Tassie. The AFL should also hold their fire, because the Gold Coast's survival is far from assured. There simply is not a market for two teams in Qld.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Interesting post. I guess the question of our continuing contract of playing games in Wellington has to be asked? Now the Wellington Saints would just be a WEE bit of a bridge too far for some of us. :lol: IMHO if the AFL want more games in Tassie, then let us play some games there, rather than NZ

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Afl has said there won't be a team in Tassie for at least the next 15 years so don't bother making things up

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Kernal75
Club Player

On the issue of a priority pick, the real issue is that the AFL has painted themselves into a corner with the FA rules which would see Carltom get pick 1&2 if Keuezer leaves. That would give them access to the best 2 KPP's in the draft and set them on their way for years to come. It's effectively their Franklin / Roughead moment as Garry Lyon said. I don't think the AFL wants that as Brisbane has no KPP and are facing another exodus. If they give them a priority pick the AFL gets to control the outcome of the draft without acknowledging the FA laws need reworking. As for Tasmania, that's a whole different topic

Sobraz
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:Surely it would be a first that a team is awarded a priority pick when they didn't finish last?
2007, Carlton picked up Kreuzer with a PP after tigers finished bottom.

Carlton had picks 1 and 3, traded 3 for Judd (Masten) along with Josh Kennedy.

Tigers picked Cotchin at pick 2. Clearly in the best handful of players from his draft year along with Rioli and Rance.

Lets hope Carlton stuff up as bad again if they get a PP this year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

No idea why we should even slightly look to go to Tassie because Brisbane have a slight chance of a PP. Anyway I don't care what they do. I'm more interested in how we will use our first pick.

FQF
SS Life Member

Sobraz wrote:
FQF wrote:Surely it would be a first that a team is awarded a priority pick when they didn't finish last?
2007, Carlton picked up Kreuzer with a PP after tigers finished bottom.

Carlton had picks 1 and 3, traded 3 for Judd (Masten) along with Josh Kennedy.

Tigers picked Cotchin at pick 2. Clearly in the best handful of players from his draft year along with Rioli and Rance.

Lets hope Carlton stuff up as bad again if they get a PP this year.
Seeing as their seem to be an outright 1 and 2 in the draft, they're in a very strong position to fill some gaping holes in the team that have existed since Fevola left.