Jake Carlisle

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Jake Carlisle

Linton Lodger wrote:I read yesterday that Carlisle is indeed facing WADA charges, so I'd stay clear. Unless the WADA matter is concluded by the pre season draft.
Even if he was found guilty, isn't the suspension going to be something like 3-4 weeks anyway?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
FQF wrote:Reported tonight that Treloar to Collingwood is pretty much a done deal. I'm a bit miffed that we didn't even get mentioned in the reports as a team chasing him. I hope we are being aggressive enough in our trading and not just hoping for the odd Membrey to fall off the back of the truck.
because we are a small team, Ameet has decided not to do anything and just collect his pay cheque.

Cant compete so we are doing nothing
are you seriously having a go at Baines recruiting work ? seriously????
I thought Elshaugh was head of recruiting.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I'll spew if we get either, or both of Carlisle & Bennell.

Stick to the draft Saints... we don't need either, we are not in contention for the flag for next year. Its not the 'missing' part we need - like it was with the Lovett situation.

Do not give up pick 5 saints.

Pick up a midfielder, we seriously need one or two new AAA midfielder.
Carlton got Cripps, we need to find someone just as good.
I have to agree with you. The last thing the Saints need to import is other teams trouble.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote:Carlise might turn out to be a gun, emphasis on might. At the moment he has played what about 15 good games in his career. How can he possibly be worth 700k (if that figure is correct) based on what.. potential. You should only pay big money on proven performance.

Buckley said something really interesting on 360, not about Carlisle but footballers in general. He said there are just some players who don't love footy. They love the money and it is their job but they don't have the passion. Is Carlisle one of them and if yes why would you want him at the club. I am astounded how after what he said about Essendon that they played him in the last couple.

fqf
So was Buckley.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:
st_Trav_ofWA wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
FQF wrote:Reported tonight that Treloar to Collingwood is pretty much a done deal. I'm a bit miffed that we didn't even get mentioned in the reports as a team chasing him. I hope we are being aggressive enough in our trading and not just hoping for the odd Membrey to fall off the back of the truck.
because we are a small team, Ameet has decided not to do anything and just collect his pay cheque.

Cant compete so we are doing nothing
are you seriously having a go at Baines recruiting work ? seriously????
I thought Elshaugh was head of recruiting.
I see Carlisle as Wayne Hughes's first real test. We've employed him purely to negotiate with players already in the AFL system.

We at least need Carlisle to nominate us a preferred club. regardless of whether we can get a deal done with the notoriously stubborn Essendon.

We need these guys to want to be here, as leverage to get some quality players for under the market rate.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope that the relevant club officials involved in any deal to recruit Jake Carlisle do a FULL due diligence prior to any talks. Cautious? Meek? perhaps some may see it that way, I prefer to carry that label, if it means we don't get sold a pup.

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

terry smith rules wrote: Buckley said something really interesting on 360, not about Carlisle but footballers in general. He said there are just some players who don't love footy. They love the money and it is their job but they don't have the passion.
Actually this is VERY common. But let me qualify it a bit more. Most players actually do enjoy the "playing" part. BUT for a number the part they do not enjoy, and have no passion for is all the rest of what is required including the dedication that is required to play well constantly at the highest level.

* The training
* The early nights
* The restrictions on what they can eat and drink and when
* The living in a bubble and lack of a "normal" social and private life

Some guys thrive on all the training, but for many it becomes a chore. The saving grace for many is the camaraderie of the team environment.

In short there is a big difference in between just playing footy, and what a professional AFL player needs to be dedicated to.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

Stick to the draft Saints... we don't need either, we are not in contention for the flag for next year. Its not the 'missing' part we need - like it was with the Lovett situation.

I have to agree with you. The last thing the Saints need to import is other teams trouble.

Agreed. never worked with Hall, Plugger or Spider. Ian Stewart was also a complete failure. I could go on but I cant see with tears running down my face.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

Agreed. never worked with Hall, Plugger or Spider. Ian Stewart was also a complete failure. I could go on but I cant see with tears running down my face.
I hope we go after Aish from Brissy. Silky outside mid, will be 3rd year in next year. In my view, he was in a very talented draft group, so I would offer our pick 5.

I dont get why he would be worth less, he would speed up a clubs rebuild, and in a weak draft year (thats not my opinoion, i have no idea about thats stuff, that seems to be the public concensus from the media), and i reckon for us, thats exactly what we need and so we should pay accordingly. Is that ridiculous?

FQF
SS Life Member

Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

I hope we go after Aish from Brissy. Silky outside mid, will be 3rd year in next year. In my view, he was in a very talented draft group, so I would offer our pick 5.

I dont get why he would be worth less, he would speed up a clubs rebuild, and in a weak draft year (thats not my opinoion, i have no idea about thats stuff, that seems to be the public concensus from the media), and i reckon for us, thats exactly what we need and so we should pay accordingly. Is that ridiculous?
Not ridiculous but Aish has had a pretty terrible year, spending time in the NEAFL, and generally not doing much. So while his value wouldn't have plummeted, I'm not sure he is worth pick 5. If it turns into pick 9, it's more reasonable. Anyway, Collingwood are after him so it's a moot point.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

So you actually think he has done enough to improve his draft position? I cant see that. Seems like a high teens pick to me.

FQF
SS Life Member

We could take a calculated risk and trade our first round pick for next year. This would require a lot of confidence by the club that we will not drop off next year and, best possible scenario, if we pull of a Bulldogs we will be rejoicing. I'm not sure that our ladder position is that safe though.

The one major advantage of trading the first pick is that it removes all incentive to lose matches and will once and for all put the topic to sleep on this forum.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

FQF wrote:We could take a calculated risk and trade our first round pick for next year. This would require a lot of confidence by the club that we will not drop off next year and, best possible scenario, if we pull of a Bulldogs we will be rejoicing. I'm not sure that our ladder position is that safe though.

The one major advantage of trading the first pick is that it removes all incentive to lose matches and will once and for all put the topic to sleep on this forum.
I feel we'll be bottom 4 next year, certainly bottom 6, in what they're saying is a very good draft at this very early stage.

I also thought we'd be lucky to win 3 games this year.

So in short, I am a hopeless judge and we're just as likely to make the finals.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

St Chris wrote:
I see Carlisle as Wayne Hughes's first real test. We've employed him purely to negotiate with players already in the AFL system.
No we didn't. He's a VFL/AFL scout & keeps tabs on players already in the system.

It's Ameet & Trout's job to negotiate with the players. Hughes simply ID's them (which he wouldn't need to have done with Carlisle).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
St Chris wrote:
No we didn't. He's a VFL/AFL scout & keeps tabs on players already in the system.

It's Ameet & Trout's job to negotiate with the players. Hughes simply ID's them (which he wouldn't need to have done with Carlisle).

Wouldn't trout only be looking at the kids?

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Bomber spruiking Jakey's wares on 360 tonight; dumped a bucket on Golden Boy as the source of his unhappiness.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely the Pies cant end up with Aish and Treloar?
Crows might end up with 10 and 11 (Dangerfield Compo)? One of those would probably get it done for Aish youd reckon. That means the Lions can get Pick 2 + Keays (Academy). Then the Lions might get another decent pick for Redden and/or Leunberger. They might end up with 3 top 20 picks + Keays.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

SemperFidelis wrote:Bomber spruiking Jakey's wares on 360 tonight; dumped a bucket on Golden Boy as the source of his unhappiness.
Sounds like BS. Hird is gone

You are garbage - Enough said
St Loxton
Club Player

SemperFidelis wrote:Bomber spruiking Jakey's wares on 360 tonight; dumped a bucket on Golden Boy as the source of his unhappiness.
Good on him then. Probably the worst time in the players lives being caught up in the whole drug scandal.
Hird is a turd, would have lost respect for him for sometime and the true feeling at the is probably hollow.

saintbob
SS Life Member

I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick, he'll probably be suspended for the first 10 rounds if not longer.

Give them Lee, Ray and a 3rd round pick and that's it!!!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:I wouldn't give up a 1st round pick, he'll probably be suspended for the first 10 rounds if not longer.

Give them Lee, Ray and a 3rd round pick and that's it!!!

Doubt the penalty will be that long and even if it is we still get a 9 and a hal year player. What you are offering may get Dustin Fletcher.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:

So you actually think he has done enough to improve his draft position? I cant see that. Seems like a high teens pick to me.
I think his first year was very good, as good as any of billings or dunstan, certainly better than Acres. This year, injury, probably closer attention and a terribly performed team all meant he has had a year to forget, but i think his original draft position in a stronger draft (again thats only going by public opinion - i'm no talent scout) combined with a very good first year which showed what he could offer mean he shouldn't have lost a lot of draft currency. His injury, broken thumb isn't the sort of soft tissue issue to be concerned about. We have a clear need for quality running mids with good disposal. Add 3 years in an AFL system and the physical and elite development that goes with that and we get a fast tracked product on a drafted kid

All that IMO means we should be willing to pay slightly overs if we want him. I know our recruiting team will know exactly what his currency is and wont pay overs.

I just wish we could catch a decent sized fish (and i class Aish or Carlisle in that category) in this offseason. They both fit our age profile and offer their prime years when we will be in amongst it again. Why not go after it and fast forward that rebuild just a little. IMO Aish is the better fit given our draft of talls last year, a running classy mid would be gold.

Just my two bobs worth. impatience affected for sure ;-)

loris
Saintsational Legend

I don't want Jake Carlisle to play for the Saints, look at his hideous tattoo.!

It's bad enough having to look at the ugly ink work on Membrey every time he gets a game, plus Jimmy Webster, his tatt has had more added to it, naughty Jimmy.

Who cares if Carlisle can play at all, it's what he looks like that counts. We don't want our team looking like a group of Collingwook exiles, all scribbled all over.

I want a team of choir boys and clean skins, to hell with their football playing skills. No to Carlilse

matrix
Saintsational Legend

No to friggin aish as well.
Pick 9 lol

loris
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:No to friggin aish as well.
Pick 9 lol
Does he have Tatts? If yes , I'll join in th campaign 'No to friggin aish'. Funny first name friggin, bit like our farren eh?