40 man AA squad

Superboot

Re: 40 man AA squad

Neither Armo nor Jack are AA material. Topping our B&F means nothing

Both are very strong in particular aspects of the game, but ordinary or worse in others. That won't get you an AA selection.

If you want an example of Jack's kicking, look no further than the WC game.

Last quarter I think, ball with Jack in the centre, little or no pressure, no-one in our forward area other than two of our guys and one of theirs. Absolute certain goal coming up. Jack boots it into no-man's-land to the advantage of the Eagles player who cleared it.

Absolutely gob-smackingly, hair-pullingly horrendous.

There's lots to like about Jack, but.....

...he can't kick!

A pretty ordinary last part of the season for us, and no player really stood out. Armo was doing well but lost his mojo in the latter part of the season probably as a result of his body not holding out, Steven has little impact for the amount of ball he gets and is not A grade. After that, not enough players did anywhere near enough on a consistent basis to warrant any selection in an AA squad, and that was the story of our year.

Geez, some pretty harsh comments about Steven on here. Yes there are times he turns the ball over, sometimes through poor execution but also because very few options presenting. There are also PLENTY of times he breaks away from packs and smashes 50m passes that hit our team mates on the chest.

Looking at the squad - Yes Swan has played much better this year, but still plenty of games where he had zero impact. Lewis was sensational at the start of the year, but has tailed right off towards the back end. Lachie Neale was another that was great at the start of the year, but haven't heard much of him at the end of the year. I reckon Armo had a slightly better first half of the year than Jack, but he has dropped right away, whereas Jack has still managed to accumulate heaps of possessions.

Moods wrote:Geez, some pretty harsh comments about Steven on here. Yes there are times he turns the ball over, sometimes through poor execution but also because very few options presenting. There are also PLENTY of times he breaks away from packs and smashes 50m passes that hit our team mates on the chest.

Looking at the squad - Yes Swan has played much better this year, but still plenty of games where he had zero impact. Lewis was sensational at the start of the year, but has tailed right off towards the back end. Lachie Neale was another that was great at the start of the year, but haven't heard much of him at the end of the year. I reckon Armo had a slightly better first half of the year than Jack, but he has dropped right away, whereas Jack has still managed to accumulate heaps of possessions.

Most supporters try to find fault more than looking at the good. In most games Jack is the only one providing run and carry. And both Armo and Steven are close to being good enough as AA. Steven has already been in the top 40 and Armo would have been in the 45 this year. Yep only 22 make it but both would go even better if we had at least one more mid. Jack is tagged just about every week.

Joffrey wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:Cos Stevens can't kick
I think you're being a bit harsh on Phil. He was a pretty good footballer back in his day.
Anthony?

Joffrey wrote:
I think you're being a bit harsh on Phil. He was a pretty good footballer back in his day.
Anthony?
Kellie

avid

Well it amazes me that the player with the highest Fantasy footy season stats doesn't get a mention, in a list of 40.
(Jack had the third highest average, bettered only by two high possession ruckmen, Martin and Goldstein) So he had more of the footy +tackles, etc, than any other midfielder playing.
Even if you 'penalise' him 10% for kicking efficiency, he still comes out at 16th or 17th, around the level of Mundy and Dangerfield, who both had commendable seasons.
Armo came 13th (11 highest average -- Joey had 9th highest but only played 17 games) So I'm not sure why Saints players would have been so completely overlooked.
Fantasy stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but they surely represent something significant in a season's performance.
Amazed.

Wayne42 wrote:
Joffrey wrote:
Anthony?
Kellie

Has anyone seen Roby's player ratings on Bigfooty? Pretty impressive system.

Anyway for the Saints he has:

Roo ranked as the 11th best player in the AFL.
Armo 32nd
Montanga 51st
Steven 72nd
Fisher 92nd

Armo had a far better year than Jordon Lewis who made the squad

It will be interesting to see how many of the AA squad dont receive as many Brownlow votes as Armo.

Priddis wasn't in the team last year. Seeing as the Brownlow is a game by game analysis and the AA team is more of a 'general feeling' test, I think that says enough.

If Armo's form was backward so that he finished the year the way he started it, he'd be in.

FQF wrote:Priddis wasn't in the team last year. Seeing as the Brownlow is a game by game analysis and the AA team is more of a 'general feeling' test, I think that says enough.

If Armo's form was backward so that he finished the year the way he started it, he'd be in.

Yes he would. Same with players that get best on the ground. usually the second half counts more than the first half.

Is Bennell, Dixon and Hodge in the AA squad? From reports it sounds like they should be. #likeadrink

avid wrote:Well it amazes me that the player with the highest Fantasy footy season stats doesn't get a mention, in a list of 40.
(Jack had the third highest average, bettered only by two high possession ruckmen, Martin and Goldstein) So he had more of the footy +tackles, etc, than any other midfielder playing.
Even if you 'penalise' him 10% for kicking efficiency, he still comes out at 16th or 17th, around the level of Mundy and Dangerfield, who both had commendable seasons.
Armo came 13th (11 highest average -- Joey had 9th highest but only played 17 games) So I'm not sure why Saints players would have been so completely overlooked.
Fantasy stats aren't the be-all and end-all, but they surely represent something significant in a season's performance.
Amazed.

It def has a "picked on the vibe" element to it. Bulldogs are in the finals as a come from nowhere story and get a ton of players in. I have watched quite a bit of the Dogs this year and I would say guys like Murphy have been good but no better than Dempster, I could name another 10 players that have been just okay in that squad.

avid wrote:Well it amazes me that the player with the highest Fantasy footy season stats doesn't get a mention, in a list of 40.
Amazed.

It def has a "picked on the vibe" element to it. Bulldogs are in the finals as a come from nowhere story and get a ton of players in. I have watched quite a bit of the Dogs this year and I would say guys like Murphy have been good but no better than Dempster, I could name another 10 players that have been just okay in that squad.

And that is said without bias of course. At least you can name players now. It seemed to be about the vibe previously. Just a simple question. Why wouldn't they pick one of our players if they deserved to be picked? 9 people vote. Its not like they say lets leave out saints players.

Amazed.

And that is said without bias of course. At least you can name players now. It seemed to be about the vibe previously. Just a simple question. Why wouldn't they pick one of our players if they deserved to be picked? 9 people vote. Its not like they say lets leave out saints players.

No they say lets put in Dogs or Hawks players because they had a good season. It means they don't have spot for a more deserving player from the Dees or Saints.

Rosco

As always, wins matter. Lewis having a good year as a major part of a top 3 side's midfield trumps the best mid in the side that has 6 wins