TV in NZ........game possibly in Christchurch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

TV in NZ........game possibly in Christchurch

TV in NZ

interesting comment on sen interview with rob alexander (digital) manager at saints.

social media segment on KB show with dave lowden? Latrobe university

on saints twitter

Saintbrat might need to help re link.

Could be some sort of announcement this week.
Last edited by chook23 on Wed 16 Sep 2015 4:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: TV in NZ

was in an interview I linked in this thread
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89611

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: TV in NZ........game possibly in Christchurch

saint4life
mambo2706
Club Player

If there was a suitable stadium in Auckland (which I don't think there is) then they should look into that. It has a larger population than Wellington which could mean more supporters for us. IMO it is a nicer city than Wellington so could also mean more fans from Australia fly over to see the game.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Jetstar fly direct but it's overnight on the way over. Currently showing a return price of $316.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Are we certain to play in NZ next season?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Are we certain to play in NZ next season?
No.

Rosco
Club Player

don't we have a third game? or has it already been three? sydney, brisbane, carlton...yep, that's 3. don't mind me.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am strongly in favour in Christchurch. I have been suggesting this for quite some time. My rationale is the tourism angle for NZ. They want Aussie tourists in winter (footy season) - which means snow fields. You fly over to CCh, watch some footy and then head to Mt Hutt (very close by) or head down to Queenstown. I also think the NZ govt is trying to help rebuild and promote Cch since the earth quake. The sth island really is the place to be in winter for tourists. For me this is all about tourism promotion for the NZ govt. We play once - we promote - they pay us. Thats the deal. I dont think the idea of getting NZ members is realistic which is why i dont think the bigger population in Auckland is relevant. This is all about NZ promoting in-bound tourism from Australia. Nothing wrong with that imho.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote: I also think the NZ govt is trying to help rebuild and promote Cch since the earth quake.
I was in NZ earlier this year and some locals said Christchurch is going to take many years to fully recover. If the Saints could get a couple of thousand tourists going over it would have a great benefit to the local community. Not sure about any footy benefits but sometimes there's a bigger picture to look at.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

It's all about us prostituting ourselves to whoever has the deepest pockets or are willing to take us.

Until the AFL buy out Etihad we are screwed and need to outsource a game or few a year.

Ideally we need a 2 or 3 game package that netts is between $1 and $1.5M

I don't care what country or city in Australia that is TBH.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I also think the NZ govt is trying to help rebuild and promote Cch since the earth quake.
I was in NZ earlier this year and some locals said Christchurch is going to take many years to fully recover. If the Saints could get a couple of thousand tourists going over it would have a great benefit to the local community. Not sure about any footy benefits but sometimes there's a bigger picture to look at.
Yep thumbs up to that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I just got reminded that Ski season starts in the first week of June... So maybe we should request to play in NZ during mid-year school holidays?

http://www.newzealandski.co.nz/new-zeal ... ing-dates/

mambo2706
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I just got reminded that Ski season starts in the first week of June... So maybe we should request to play in NZ during mid-year school holidays?

I'm not sure that having a freezing winter holiday in Christchurch would be high on anyone's list of places to go (except for maybe skiers) but you raise a great point about having the game played during school holidays. It would definitely encourage more Aussies to make the trip over.

loris
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I just got reminded that Ski season starts in the first week of June... So maybe we should request to play in NZ during mid-year school holidays?

I'm not sure that having a freezing winter holiday in Christchurch would be high on anyone's list of places to go (except for maybe skiers) but you raise a great point about having the game played during school holidays. It would definitely encourage more Aussies to make the trip over.
However the timing of school holidays in NZ was the reason for the lower attendance during the second Anzac Day Match against Brisbane Lions by Wellingtons. Locals especially, families were away on school hols. And it's the young kids you have to get interested in the game. Also there was a major rugby match on the next day (Sunday), so locals had to decide where their money went to. That is the problem with an ANZAC DAY match, every odd year or so school hols can create a problem. I had a good private chat with Peter Sumner at a Western Saints AGM over this problem. Locking into the significance of ANZAC Day can create its own problems.

So for Christchurch is it the tourism dollars for Christchurh? Or, for the AFL and the Saints is it growing the game in NZ. ?????
School holidays can be positive or negative.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Just a suggestion - but the sth Island is popular with tourists in winter. No doubt about that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
mambo2706 wrote:

However the timing of school holidays in NZ was the reason for the lower attendance during the second Anzac Day Match against Brisbane Lions by Wellingtons. Locals especially, families were away on school hols. And it's the young kids you have to get interested in the game. Also there was a major rugby match on the next day (Sunday), so locals had to decide where their money went to. That is the problem with an ANZAC DAY match, every odd year or so school hols can create a problem. I had a good private chat with Peter Sumner at a Western Saints AGM over this problem. Locking into the significance of ANZAC Day can create its own problems.

So for Christchurch is it the tourism dollars for Christchurh? Or, for the AFL and the Saints is it growing the game in NZ. ?????
School holidays can be positive or negative.
Yep but that was the first school hols - not the mid year one. They could offer a package - lift ticket for Mt Hutt and a saints ticket :D

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

We should play Melbourne over there if we were going to tie it in with ski season.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:We should play Melbourne over there if we were going to tie it in with ski season.
I knew that gag was coming and to be honest Ive been waiting for the chance to slip it in. You got in first :D
Would be pretty funny to promote it as the ski season show down.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I'm all for this
Plus a game against north or hawks in tassie

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like there is no hope of a game in NZ next season. Always was a long shot. They have no interest in AFL footy and its needing a passport made it a little harder to travel.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Hi all,
Just a side issue to this, strong word from the A-League Fraternity is that the NZ based A-League team, Wellington Phoenix, is very likely to be kicked out of the A-League this season, the reason being that Sky TV NZ is not pulling its weight in terms of TV Income Generation. Fox Sports provides each A-League team A$2.5M to cover their base salary cap, and the contribution in return from Sky TV NZ for the A-league is a paltry A$180,000 per year.

I think NZ’s TV market is geared towards Rugby Union, Cricket and Netball. Even Sky NZ will pay the NRL $100 M for 5 years for the NZ NRL TV Rights, which basically more than pays to justify the Auckland Warriors place in the NRL.

I think you guys are doing a good job of playing a game in NZ each year, but in terms of local interest there in AFL footy, I don’t know which way it will go.

Thanks.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Two games in Tassie then.

Settled.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Two games in Tassie then.

Settled.

We don't get any money for that.

matrix