Farren

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Farren

I keep reading that we've offered Faz one year but he has better offers from elsewhere (by which I assume they mean 2 year contract). Does anyone else know who's shown interest in him? And his contract/free agency status?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: Farren

He would qualify as an unsigned out of contract free agent, even if he doesn't qualify as a free agent.

I believe anyone could basically get him in the same way we got Roberton from Freo. No compensation.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
james rose
Club Player

Will likely stay. I hope he does.

I'd say a couple clubs have him down as a back up if they don't get someone else similar in trade week

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:He would qualify as an unsigned out of contract free agent, even if he doesn't qualify as a free agent.

I believe anyone could basically get him in the same way we got Roberton from Freo. No compensation.
Nah, you can only be a delisted free agent if you weren't offered a contract. He's been offered a contract so he would have to go through the draft (unless we waive that privilege, as Sydney did with Membrey).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I like Farren as a guy, he's a great clubman and he would be pretty handy at a challenging club. I hope he stays for selfish reasons but if he gets the chance to go out at a team playing finals good luck to him. He's probably the senior player we have the most cover for.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

He may well be a top bloke and great clubman but he's way past his prime and on a decent downhill curve unfortunately.

IMO we need to delist at least 2 maybe 3 more and he's a prime candidate considering the oldies we are keeping for next season.

I can't see him being of any value to another top team, but for a Brisbane or Gold Coast his experience is just what they need and would be better off there at this stage of his career IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saintspremiers wrote:He may well be a top bloke and great clubman but he's way past his prime and on a decent downhill curve unfortunately.

IMO we need to delist at least 2 maybe 3 more and he's a prime candidate considering the oldies we are keeping for next season.

I can't see him being of any value to another top team, but for a Brisbane or Gold Coast his experience is just what they need and would be better off there at this stage of his career IMO.

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your logic? You have made the statement about "we NEED to delist as least "x" number of players" several times already - why do need NEED to delist a certain number of players? There is a minimum number required by AFL rules, and that is all we are required to do. Everyone we delist needs to be replaced, and if there is a dearth of talent available to draft or trade in during this particular off-season, I fail to see how churning the playing list simply for the sake of it provides us any benefit? Yes, we may uncover a hidden gem, but if we gain a reputation for slashing our list simply for the sake of it every year, we may find ourselves perceived as a club lacking loyalty towards our players and find it hard to convince players to come to us down the track.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I hope he gets 2 years somewhere, still has plenty to contribute at AFL level, but I think our list situation is such that we need to get games into younger guys who play in a similar position.

damienc
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:He may well be a top bloke and great clubman but he's way past his prime and on a decent downhill curve unfortunately.

Sadly, I think you on the money with this comment. He's been good for the Saints, we've been good for him but it's time to move on.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

hope he stays, still a good footballer. I think it's good to have a percentage of experience while the youngens progress.

phew...don't have to worry about plugger arguing the toss :)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

We have no need for him in season 2016, and I'd be very surpirsed and disappointed if he demanded a first 22 spot next year. Would be a disaster in fact as it would mean none of our youngsters had improved in the off season.

Been a good solid player for the Saints, it's the right time now to part ways.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:hope he stays, still a good footballer. I think it's good to have a percentage of experience while the youngens progress.

phew...don't have to worry about plugger arguing the toss :)
:D

The Recruit
Club Player

Farren should seek a new home if someone wants him. Destined to play for Sandringham most of next year unless we have injuries.
Time to move him on.

aussie sainter
Club Player

Word is he is off to the Dees with a 2 year contract

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

aussie sainter wrote:Word is he is off to the Dees with a 2 year contract
Great news for Faz if true.

We would be mad to offer him 2 years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:

Perhaps you can enlighten us as to your logic? You have made the statement about "we NEED to delist as least "x" number of players" several times already - why do need NEED to delist a certain number of players? There is a minimum number required by AFL rules, and that is all we are required to do. Everyone we delist needs to be replaced, and if there is a dearth of talent available to draft or trade in during this particular off-season, I fail to see how churning the playing list simply for the sake of it provides us any benefit? Yes, we may uncover a hidden gem, but if we gain a reputation for slashing our list simply for the sake of it every year, we may find ourselves perceived as a club lacking loyalty towards our players and find it hard to convince players to come to us down the track.
Assuming our drafting is good, the more players you select the bigger the chance you'll find that gem at picks 40 to 60.

Take a risk or two as plugsie would say rather than being staid.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Faz, if I were you old mate I'd be jumping at that 2yr deal from the Dee's.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Want the best for him and the club. Hope it works out.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Playon
Club Player

Well he turns 30 in 2016, could be handy for a struggling club offering experience, Melb for example
or a stronger club as backup. He may make his career last and extra 2 or 3 years depending on how well he holds up.

I can't see him doing that at the Saints.. Always liked Faz, Retirement is for a long time, take the deal

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Where does the word come from?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
Where does the word come from?
Melbourne has offered him contracts in the past, but he choose to stay with the Saints.

james rose
Club Player

Won't be going to the Dees- they're not keen.
Last edited by james rose on Thu 24 Sep 2015 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:Won't be going to the Dees- their not keen.
THEY'RE not keen to have Ray as THEIR player over THERE. :D

james rose
Club Player

spert wrote:
james rose wrote:Won't be going to the Dees- their not keen.
THEY'RE not keen to have Ray as THEIR player over THERE. :D
Perils of typing on you're* phone.

*is a joke- your