Bailey Rice?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Bailey Rice?

ace wrote:Our third round pick once at 42 had a value of 395 points
Our fourth at 60 value of 142 points.
But those points are diminishing as the AFL hands out compensation picks like confetti.
If 20% discount applies we could match a draft pick of around 30.
If 197 points discount applies we could match a pick around 26 or 27.

Without our 3rd and 4th round picks we may not have enough points in bank.
So what happens if we go into the draft with 3 senior spots open on our list, do we still have a 4th round pick to use for bidding?? (if we need to package points from 3rd and 4th together etc.)

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Special Fried!!! If we get him, should we give him 37?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Unless we keep pick 42 the chances of getting BR are slim.
Sure maybe we can get two picks in the 50s but that isnt likely.
Pick 42 is the relevant pick for BR.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Saints recruiting guys arent stupid. If they rate him then they'll get him

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I'm confident that Carlton will move on from Rice and focus their picks else where. SOS has bigger fish to fry. He and Freeman are ours. Pick 24 and player for Carlisle or double down with pick 5 and get Carlisle and a kid. Otherwise he goes to the ps draft and we take the best mid for 5. Its a win/win all round.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:Saints recruiting guys arent stupid. If they rate him then they'll get him
I concur.

The_Merchant
Club Player

With all the father / son and academy players available this year, I am not sure that anyone will bid on Bailey which means we use our last pick. Not sure Carlton will bid now that he has chosen us. Someone might throw a third round bid in there to ensure we use something but I doubt it.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Don't be surprised if St Kilda and Carlton might have a sly exchange in the shadows early next week.

They might be equally keen on the same kid...but there's a lot of uncontracted players out there, and the fewer deals get done in trade week, the better the PSD field gets.

Whoever Bailey nominates, I can see the other club not putting up much of a fight...yet landing their top trade target in the PSD.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:Don't be surprised if St Kilda and Carlton might have a sly exchange in the shadows early next week.

They might be equally keen on the same kid...but there's a lot of uncontracted players out there, and the fewer deals get done in trade week, the better the PSD field gets.

Whoever Bailey nominates, I can see the other club not putting up much of a fight...yet landing their top trade target in the PSD.
He's nominated St.Kilda

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Saints recruiting guys arent stupid. If they rate him then they'll get him
I concur.
It's not that simple. All depends how the cards fall. I am sure they will do their best. But no guarantees.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

His speed would be handy. I'm getting a Savage vibe but perhaps a bit tougher. We have a lot of back flanker types though. Not clear how good his disposal is. Could be worth a shot with low pick.

Bailey Rice (10/02/1997 . 184cm, 81kg. Dandenong Stingrays)

Medium defender/midfielder

AFL biography: Medium midfielder/defender with excellent speed and power regularly on display when bursting from the stoppages or defensive 50. Is a versatile player, able to play in various roles within the team. Son of former Carlton premiership player Dean Rice and is eligible for Carlton or St Kilda under the father-son rule. Averaged 22 disposals (75 percent efficiency) and 4.5 rebound 50s in 11 games with the Stingrays and represented Vic Country in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships this year.

"At 16 I said he was a rookie at best, and I've got to eat my own words. At 17 he showed more but I still wasn't sure he really wanted it. But he started to believe a bit more, and he's a really good prospect now. I think he's a genuine half-back flanker at the moment, but give it a couple of years and he could play in the midfield with the way he kicks and reads the play. He's stupid brave at times - he wants the ball really badly and he'll go against the flight and do all those things. Within two years he'll knock himself out, he's so courageous it's not funny. He's quite quiet within the group but very well liked. He just lets his footy do the talking. He's got to start ticking a few more boxes off the field, in terms of getting to meetings on time and things like that. He's very laidback, but he wants it and he'll get there."

Mark Wheeler, Dandenong Stingrays talent manager

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-an ... z3oW228VGx
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Needs to get to meetings on time? Classic.
If he is stupid crazy with his attack at the ball then he seems committed enough to me.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Don't be surprised if St Kilda and Carlton might have a sly exchange in the shadows early next week.

He's nominated St.Kilda
ST KILDA has welcomed the announcement that Bailey Rice has nominated the Saints under the father-son bidding system ahead of the upcoming National Draft.

Bailey’s father Dean played 116 games for St Kilda before crossing to Carlton where he played 118 matches - including the Blues 1995 premiership – meaning Rice junior could have nominated either club as his preferred destination.

“Bailey is a quality young man and we see his choice as yet another sign of the confidence people have in the direction of our club,” St Kilda List and Recruiting Manager Tony Elshaug told SAINTS.com.au.

“By coming to the club since the championships we’ve worked with Bailey and he’s got to know people such as Alan Richardson, his coaching staff and the playing group. We are very pleased.”
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-10-1 ... tes-saints

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Unless we keep pick 42 the chances of getting BR are slim.
Sure maybe we can get two picks in the 50s but that isnt likely.
Pick 42 is the relevant pick for BR.
We may also need to top it up with pick 60 as well.

The one thing the AFL seems to have ignored with the new discount process is that every knows that if they call Bailey Rice's name St Kilda can choose to take him at a discount or leave him to that club.
Under the old system the club with the pick immediately ahead of the father club pick effectively had the responsibility to make the father son club claim him in the correct round.
If the player should go in round 2, the club immediately ahead of the father son club would bid their round 3 pick.
There was little chance of the 3rd round pick succeeding.
It may well be that no club takes on the responsibility under the new system.

Rice may well be a round 2 player but I can't see Carlton or Essendon bidding their early round 2 for him (picks 20 or 23), we could leave them in the lurch.
Then if Carlton or Essendon bid their early round 3 picks 38 or 41 worth 483 points or 429 points our round 3 would be more than adequate but our round 4 pick would not have enough points.
Other clubs may well just ignore father son players altogether.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

If Bailey Rice doesn't end up at St.Kilda by his own choice then the rule should be scrapped. What a load of shite.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:If Bailey Rice doesn't end up at St.Kilda by his own choice then the rule should be scrapped. What a load of shite.
Didn't we all whinge that the rule was too generous when Geelong got Ablett, Hawkins, Scarlett?
Now they tighten up the rule and we whinge again that its not generous enough.

Rosco
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:If Bailey Rice doesn't end up at St.Kilda by his own choice then the rule should be scrapped. What a load of shite.
Didn't we all whinge that the rule was too generous when Geelong got Ablett, Hawkins, Scarlett?
Agree. If he doesn't get to us then it's because someone values him 20% more than we do.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I didn't whine about any of them. The rule is about protecting and creating traditions. Either give them the choice or put them in the draft with everyone else and get rid of the rule. We will get him.

Gershwin
Club Player

Good tweet from Paige Cardona:
"Well done Bailey Rice, you've made the right call to join @stkildafc. Hats off to @Ameet_Bains & Trout, wonderful people at the Saints!"

summertime and the living is easy ........
SMS
Club Player

ROUND 2 for BAILEY RICE???? Wtf????

And next year pick for freeman????

I hooe this is BS!!!

If its true we better get carlisle in psd.

Typical. We finally get a FS and get reemed.

So carlisle pick 5, rice round 2, freeman next year pick and some
Spud in round 3.

Great. :/

ace
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
When we get an Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett for nothing then it will be fair and I will stop whinging.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ripplug66
Club Player

SMS wrote:ROUND 2 for BAILEY RICE???? Wtf????

And next year pick for freeman????

I hooe this is BS!!!

If its true we better get carlisle in psd.

Typical. We finally get a FS and get reemed.

So carlisle pick 5, rice round 2, freeman next year pick and some
Spud in round 3.

Great. :/

And that information is based on what?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
When we get an Ablett, Hawkins and Scarlett for nothing then it will be fair and I will stop whinging.
Well we wont and noone will because they changed the rule.
So is the rule too generous or too stringent?

SMS
Club Player

Info based on afl trade twitter dude but he seems only half right most the time. Couldnt possibly be true

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ace wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Well we wont and noone will because they changed the rule.
So is the rule too generous or too stringent?
As I said. The rule is supposed to protect tradition. This kind of crud just makes a mockery of the whole notion. He made a choice, it should be honoured. If not then dont give him the choice. Put it this way. If I chose St.Kilda cause my dad played there and someone made a bid for me the Saints couldn't match I go rookie instead.