2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

Playon wrote:I guess now that they've rejected the latest deal, we can offer them a better one, 24 and a player
Nope. Mediation then PSD

You are garbage - Enough said
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Bunk_Moreland wrote:you people do realise that we would have 23 24 and 25 sent to GWS for pick 8 if the drug cheats accepted the deal.

We just down grade 5 to 8 and still get Mathesion.

Get with the program you guys - sheesh.
Exactly, well put mate.

Even if we upped our offer for Carlisle to include our third pick (#45) but with the same picks coming back, we would theoretically be having this end result;

Pick 5, 24 & 45 for pick 8 and Carlisle.

Honestly, who in their right mind wouldn't do that deal especially if (as rumoured) the player we want at 5 will still be there at pick 8.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I personally think the Hawks have us by the balls and it is all over but if we pull this off via the PSD and screw Essendon I am going pants off for a week and sending Bains a long and perfumed love letter.

saintjake
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I personally think the Hawks have us by the balls and it is all over but if we pull this off via the PSD and screw Essendon I am going pants off for a week and sending Bains a long and perfumed love letter.

You've posted in this thread and the Carlisle thread over a million times tonight and NOT ONCE have you said anything positive about the club.
Can you please go on a self imposed ban for the benefit of everyone else

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:you people do realise that we would have 23 24 and 25 sent to GWS for pick 8 if the drug cheats accepted the deal.

Exactly, well put mate.

Even if we upped our offer for Carlisle to include our third pick (#45) but with the same picks coming back, we would theoretically be having this end result;

Honestly, who in their right mind wouldn't do that deal especially if (as rumoured) the player we want at 5 will still be there at pick 8.
Why would the Bumbers agree to give us 23 and 25? This is a ridiculous suggestion. You might as well say 'if Gold Coast accepted Farren Ray and pick 60 we could have had pick 3!'

23 + 25 = 1571 points = pick 8.

This values Carlisle at pick 46. It is not a realistic suggestion.

saintjake
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Exactly, well put mate.

Why would the Bumbers agree to give us 23 and 25? This is a ridiculous suggestion. You might as well say 'if Gold Coast accepted Farren Ray and pick 60 we could have had pick 3!'

23 + 25 = 1571 points = pick 8.

This values Carlisle at pick 46. It is not a realistic suggestion.
Shut up

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I suggest 23 and their 3rd, 41, which would be handy for Rice. Anything less and PSD. Anyway we should go to mediation if no result over weekend.

robbie muir
Club Player

The way it is heading we will give pick 5 and get Carlisle and either their pick 23 or 25. That's where it will probably finish.
With the points system we will be getting Carlisle for the equivalent of pick 15 or 16 depending on whether we get 23 or 25 back.
That pick will probably be then offloaded to Collingwood for Freeman.
End result is pick 5 for both Carlisle and Freeman.
We go to the draft with our 2 nd rounder ( pick 24 ), our 3rd rounder ( for probably Rice ) and our 4 th rounder for Sinclair upgrade.
If I was a betting man this is where it will probably go.
The curve ball is if Carlisle agrees to play for Hawthorn which at this stage seems unlikely ( he would have to accept a much smaller contract).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

robbie muir wrote:The way it is heading we will give pick 5 and get Carlisle and either their pick 23 or 25. That's where it will probably finish.
With the points system we will be getting Carlisle for the equivalent of pick 15 or 16 depending on whether we get 23 or 25 back.
That pick will probably be then offloaded to Collingwood for Freeman.
End result is pick 5 for both Carlisle and Freeman.
We go to the draft with our 2 nd rounder ( pick 24 ), our 3rd rounder ( for probably Rice ) and our 4 th rounder for Sinclair upgrade.
If I was a betting man this is where it will probably go.
The curve ball is if Carlisle agrees to play for Hawthorn which at this stage seems unlikely ( he would have to accept a much smaller contract).
Think ur right.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think Hawthorn are in the box seat now.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:I think Hawthorn are in the box seat now.
Why? Doesn't Carlisle want to play for us. Did I misunderstand his manager today. We are quite easily in the box seat and Dodo is the one under pressure to get the deal done. The Carlisle camp has now come out twice stating they want us.

Wtf is going on with all of this Hawthorn rubbish?

Carlisle has personally rung Richo to reiterate he is as good as guaranteed to be a Saint.

His manager has been with Bains a lot of the day, has confirmed he will get his client to the Saints.

Watch the interview with Carlisles manager, he couldn't possibly be more forward in saying Carlisle is going to the Saints, not interested in Hawks. Basically calling out everything Dodoro has said as BS (without actually saying it).

This years draft is not like every draft, a top five pick is like gold especially this year. Picks 23 and 25 arent close to pick 5s worth, regardless of how the points system works out the value of a pick.

Where people go wrong is that points are only valuable to a club with an academy/FS player - in the real world (with every other club not in that category) a pick is still valued at where a player can be drafted at. If the quality still available at that pick is pathetic, then that is the value of the pick.

Essendon have tried to play us through the media and used every dirty tactic in the book. St Kilda, Carlisle and his manager have called their bluff and now we will win the trade. Essendon have once again shot themselves in the foot by playing a very dangerous game and thry have given up any chance of a winning trade for their club.

I still think we will get 23 & 25, we may have to improve our side of it by including our third or a player, but what comes back will remain the same imo.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Scoop
Club Player

St Ick wrote:Wtf is going on with all of this Hawthorn rubbish?

Carlisle has personally rung Richo to reiterate he is as good as guaranteed to be a Saint.

His manager has been with Bains a lot of the day, has confirmed he will get his client to the Saints.

Watch the interview with Carlisles manager, he couldn't possibly be more forward in saying Carlisle is going to the Saints, not interested in Hawks. Basically calling out everything Dodoro has said as BS (without actually saying it).

This years draft is not like every draft, a top five pick is like gold especially this year. Picks 23 and 25 arent close to pick 5s worth, regardless of how the points system works out the value of a pick.

Where people go wrong is that points are only valuable to a club with an academy/FS player - in the real world (with every other club not in that category) a pick is still valued at where a player can be drafted at. If the quality still available at that pick is pathetic, then that is the value of the pick.

Essendon have tried to play us through the media and used every dirty tactic in the book. St Kilda, Carlisle and his manager have called their bluff and now we will win the trade. Essendon have once again shot themselves in the foot by playing a very dangerous game and thry have given up any chance of a winning trade for their club.

I still think we will get 23 & 25, we may have to improve our side of it by including our third or a player, but what comes back will remain the same imo.
Finally some sense being spoken. Excellent summation if the situation St Ick.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Long Term Injury
Club Player

Scoop wrote:
St Ick wrote:Wtf is going on with all of this Hawthorn rubbish?

Finally some sense being spoken. Excellent summation if the situation St Ick.
Plus two, fantastic post. The pick valuations are just an arbitrary measurement. Stick strong

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What does everyone think the result of mediation would be? Probably they would have to give us 23 and 41.

saintjake
Club Player

Why don't we just take him PSD and keep 5?!?

Playon
Club Player

saintjake wrote:Why don't we just take him PSD and keep 5?!?
That may happen yet, the only thing I'm concerned about is that Carlton have said that if Carlisle is in the PSD they will select him.
We'd need to front end his contract up heavily, I don't know how their cap space is going with the movements theyve had

saintjake
Club Player

Playon wrote:
That may happen yet, the only thing I'm concerned about is that Carton have said that if Carlisle is in the PSD they will select him.
We'd need to front end his contract up heavily, I don't know how their cap space is going with the movements theyve had
What if Aish goes to the PSD?

Surely after what they are paying Thomas, Murphy and Gibbs they can't afford much

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

If we work on the theory that we are going to lose pick 5 and therefore miss out on Mathieson/Oliver then I think we should look at an outside indigenous player like Daniel Rioli or Aidyn Johnson with pick 24.

The Bombers could end up with 4 top 25 picks to our 1. That is quite distressing.

saintjake
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:If we work on the theory that we are going to lose pick 5 and therefore miss out on Mathieson/Oliver then I think we should look at an outside indigenous player like Daniel Rioli or Aidyn Johnson with pick 24.

The Bombers could end up with 4 top 25 picks to our 1. That is quite distressing.

Sounds a bit racist there.

"We should look at an outside player like Daniel Rioli" sounds fine.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saintjake wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:If we work on the theory that we are going to lose pick 5 and therefore miss out on Mathieson/Oliver then I think we should look at an outside indigenous player like Daniel Rioli or Aidyn Johnson with pick 24.

Sounds a bit racist there.

"We should look at an outside player like Daniel Rioli" sounds fine.
But dem indigenous fellas are better than dem white fellas.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:
That may happen yet, the only thing I'm concerned about is that Carlton have said that if Carlisle is in the PSD they will select him.
The other option is to have Carlisle go into the main draft.
Carlton certainly won't take him with pick 1, and I think they are more likely to hesitate at pick 20 than they would in the PSD.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Scoop
Club Player

St Ick wrote:

Also with St Ick here.....can we stop trying to evaluate a pick's worth using the points system.

It is a totally specious argument! As pointed out, it can only be used in the context of academy/FS picks.
In the context of normal draft picks, their value is determined bythe expected quality of player available at that pick.

Take the 2012 draft as an example. Jake Stringer wa the #5 pick. We picked Wright & White @ #24 & #25. You don't have to be Einstein to work out the value of those respective picks! (Btw I still rate N Wright and hope he has a breakout year in 2016....as long as he's still with us! ).

In this draft, pick 5 has WAY more value than those 20s picks, if using them to draft players. Where they are valuable is using them to trade up with an 'academy club' that requires them for points value.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Playon
Club Player

saintjake wrote:
Playon wrote:
That may happen yet, the only thing I'm concerned about is that Carton have said that if Carlisle is in the PSD they will select him.
What if Aish goes to the PSD?

Surely after what they are paying Thomas, Murphy and Gibbs they can't afford much
Aish doesn't look like going into the PSD, Brizzy have done a back flip

Playon
Club Player

ace wrote:
Playon wrote:
The other option is to have Carlisle go into the main draft.
Carlton certainly won't take him with pick 1, and I think they are more likely to hesitate at pick 20 than they would in the PSD.
Essentially that would cost us pick 5 which is what were trying to avoid.

I still think we'll trade, but in our favor. It's going to be an interesting week, couldn't rule anything out yet.