Best 22 by end of 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Best 22 by end of 2016

B: Webster, Carlisle, Fisher
HB:Dempster, Goddard, Roberton
C: Newness, Steven, Freeman
HF: Reiwoldt, Bruce, Billings
F: Sinclair, McCartin, Lonie
Foll: Longer, Armitage, Montagna

Int: Hickey, Dunstan, Weller, Savage

Others:
Backs: Wright, Lee, McKenzie Geary, Gilbert , Delaney, Shenton,

On Ball: Ray, Ross Templeton, Acres, Curren, Minchington, Murdoch, Saunders,

Forward: Membery

Rucks: Pierce, Holmes,

Plenty of youth there and good mix , expect an extra 3-4 wins

robsaint
Club Player

Re: Best 22 by end of 2016

Does not look bad on paper for next year, agree about 3 more wins. If we get L.Weller, Midfield is looking even better for the future. Hope Freeman lives up to expectations. In the next few years we need to replace; Reiwoldt, Montagna,Fisher and Dempster, big shoes to fill.

To the top
SS Life Member

We are, no doubt, getting closer to identifying 22 players who on performance and potential should lift the club back into contention.

The side listed is not a bad effort given all things being equal and potential producing performance but I would have Gilbert as a certainty in the mid field along with Acres, who is something special on the way.

Savage and Sinclair are the two I would have missing for Gilbert and Acres.

Hopefully Pick 14 can enter the fray somewhere!

I would also have Roo on a wing and influencing from there.

footynut
Club Player

B: Webster, Carlisle, Lee
HB: Newnes, Goddard, Roberton
C: Roo, Steven, Acres
HF: Billings, Bruce, Montagna
F: Sinclair, McCartin, Lonie
Foll: Hickey, Armitage, Freeman

Int From: Dunstan, Weller, Savage, Membrey Ross & pick 14

Hopefully with a full pre-season & some good early season form in the VFL Lee will overtake Fisher/Dempster by the end of the year, and Newnes/Savage will be providing the run and decision making ability to be a dangerous and reliable backman to replace the other.

Freeman will demonstrate his ability to be a clearance kill with speed and replace Montagna.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Gilbert is and will be in our best 22 by the end of 2016, one of the most important players on our list, will play as a mid/wing

older saint
SS Life Member

One thing that i tried to focus on was a team with better disposal - hence no Geary or Gilbert, both of which unfortunately have continually let themselves down with disposal . Look at the Finals, WC v North, Haw V Freo, Haw v WC- one teams ball use was clean and precise another was average and turnovers lead to goals

Die Hard 7
Club Player

FB: Newnes Goddard Dempster
HB: Savage Carlisle Roberton
C: Roo Dunstan Webster
HF: Billings Bruce Acres
FF: Lonie McCartin Sinclair
R: Longer Steven Armo
Int: Fisher Freeman Joey Hickey
Emg: Membrey Geary Gilbert McKenzie Pick 14 Ross Templeton RIce

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I think / hope Fisher isn't part of our best 22 at the end of the year, meaning he can retire with a great send off without leaving a big hole in the side, exactly like Schneider did this year.

To the top
SS Life Member

The difference between Gilbert and Geary is that Gilbert can kick flat and accurately, but sometimes the ball does not hit the foot correctly (and he is very good by hand) but Geary is always up and under with his kicking and very limited by hand.

saintjake
Club Player

To the top wrote:We are, no doubt, getting closer to identifying 22 players who on performance and potential should lift the club back into contention.

The side listed is not a bad effort given all things being equal and potential producing performance but I would have Gilbert as a certainty in the mid field along with Acres, who is something special on the way.

Savage and Sinclair are the two I would have missing for Gilbert and Acres.

Hopefully Pick 14 can enter the fray somewhere!

I would also have Roo on a wing and influencing from there.
Agreed on Roo.. Bruce has proven himself whilst McCartin is certainly big enough. Hopefully over this pre season he can really build up his tank to allow for second and third efforts, that would really allow Roo some freedom to run around.

I also really like Membrey. He offers really good lead ups and is also a competitor on the ground. Hopefully he can develop into a Gunston type role. Leading up high on to the wings and creating space behind him, but also leading back into the holes created by McCartin and Bruce

If we can get 50 goals out of Paddy/Membrey and another 50 from Bruce, plus Roo slotting a couple a game whilst getting 20+ running around on the wing, it's probably our most dynamic forward line in years. And that's without even looking at Lonie/Sinclair ect

To the top
SS Life Member

Not looking to "bag" players because the optimum would be for all players to perform, but to me Membrey is pedestrian including because he is 188cm so mid-fielder size not the size create a mis-match and to out mark a 3rd defender.

Against our potential defensive unit we would assign Dempster, Roberton or Fisher to him so you would expect he would struggle to have an influence.

I would prefer Hickey providing the forward mis-match periodically in concert with Bruce and McCartin (and Roo running around) who will take the opposition 2 premium tall defenders and their 3rd up support troops - and particularly late in a game where tall players do not get any shorter.

With options evolving, I would see Lonie as the "small forward" meaning that Sinclair will need to develop as a mid fielder to force his way in - and the competition there will hopefully be very, very hot with Armitage, Montagna, Billings, Acres, Freeman, Gilbert, Steven, Dunstan, Newnes and (maybe) Pick 14 plus Ross and Weller as back ups.

This mid-field rotation potential is another a reason I would see Membrey missing out.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

If fisher and riewoldt retire at end of next season......................why have people put them in their team unless they think both will continue in 2017

saint4life