A Club to be Proud of.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

A Club to be Proud of.

I can see the Saints fan mindset coming out in a few posters, saying that the club is doomed, members will walk out, sponsors will leave, 'typical saints' etc. Etc.

But I see this as completely opposite.

Caroline Wilson writes an article lauding the 'new St Kilda' FFS!!! This 'scsndal' isn't in line with the clubs culture, she says. WTF!!?

The footy world believes Finnis when he states that Carlisle's biggest fear will be facing the club's leaders. Consider that for a second. Its public perception that our leaders are hard arse, professionals who take their club and roles seriously.

The club's trade period, yet again has been professional and very clinical.

The club is leading the charge in inclusive culture for women, gays and anyone who has previously been excluded from the footy boys club

Players want to come to the Saints.

And get this, the general perception is that the Saints will sort Carlisle out!! He's come to a good club where this stuff isn't tolerated and we can help him! WTF???!

I can't buy into this 'ohhh typical St Kilda' mentality coming from Saints fans - it's the complete opposite if you ask me!

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Re: A Club to be Proud of.

Completely agree. Good post.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

It's not about the Saint fans' mindset - it's about the players' mindsets and recruiting the right people.
We're not a rehab centre or reformatory school.
We just need to concentrate on football - and to recruit the right people - and stay away from the ones that may bring the club down or cause problems.

Is Carlisle worth risking pick 5? Can we rely on this guy - should we be taking a risk on this guy?
And what about the player morale - based on who we're welcoming into our club.

Why take unnecessary risks??

We had pick 5!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

I am very happy with Matt Finnis.

Best thing to happen to this place in a long time in my opinion.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mullet
Saintsational Legend

How long is it exactly to create a culture?

We as a club have been bashed because of our "culture" over the years. At the time they said our "culture" went right back to the 70's. They were saying
this only 2 years ago.

And now it seems we have a wonderful "culture".

Culture smulture I say.

It is a stupid word that gets thrown around too easily and has nothing to do with football clubs.

We are building a strong club on and off the field and blind freddy knows that only strong clubs on and off the field are successful. Its a business model, not a freakin "culture"

asiu
Saintsational Legend

i'm on this train.
... All is well & All shall be well.

Lets take whats ours to deal with 'n deal with it.
... its all a bit of fun on the way to Winning the Thing.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It helps that Finnis probably has an excellent relationship with CW.

Most things in life are about relationships and good communication.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
markp
Saintsational Legend

I think we've built up a lot of credits with the afl and their chosen media mouthpieces over a long period by doing the right thing, and not complaining (post GT) when we had to eat a shyte sandwich (like now.. yum yum!)

We're certainly on the right path... we prolly just wasted pick 5 and a whole lotta dosh is all.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:How long is it exactly to create a culture?

We as a club have been bashed because of our "culture" over the years. At the time they said our "culture" went right back to the 70's. They were saying
this only 2 years ago.

Culture smulture I say.

It is a stupid word that gets thrown around too easily and has nothing to do with football clubs.

We are building a strong club on and off the field and blind freddy knows that only strong clubs on and off the field are successful. Its a business model, not a freakin "culture"
I agree to an extent.

Any organisation has a culture. So I disagree with you on that point. Call it what you want, but every organisation has a set of values and a way of doing things - this is what a culture is. Processes and structures relate to the business model - 'culture' relates to behaviours and mindsets.

So culture is very real. Whatever you want to call it.

What is bulls***, is that a club has a culture. It is the people in the club that have a certain mindsets and behaviors. In most organisations as these days, these will even be documented and performance measures linked to them.

So clearly what I'm seeing now, is that a conserted effort has been made at St Kilda to change the way people behvae and the mindsets of everyone at the club. And, there's clearly a focus on the footy world seeing this and altering their perception as a result.

So it's not a 'club' culture. It's not a 'St Kilda culture as such - it's simply the people in charge at the time determining how people within the organisation should behave.

This bit, I don't agree with at all:

"blind freddy knows that only strong clubs on and off the field are successful"

Hawthorn are a rabble off-field in terms of their behaviors. The coach is a violent bully and repeat offender, Rioli was present when an alleged sexual assault took place and instead of helping, he bolted and jumped the back fence FFS. Their fullback was locked up for domestic issues. Their captain is a drink driver and brawls in the streets of Cobram. They have two blokes being investigated for sexual assault. I mean the list goes on, without even mentioning the thuggery on-field from their leaders.

If Hawthorn weren't brilliant on the field, there's no way they'd have been let off the hook by the media and public for their appalling and unsavoury record off it.

So I say winning is what matters. If you win, and are successful on-field - no one cares what you do off it.

Being successful on-field is what people care about, and leads to success off the field - not vice versa in my opinion.

We can have the best culture in the world, but it won't mean s*** in the long run unless we're winning on-field. In fact, I'd bet at some point people would even dare use the unbelievably hypocritical line of 'choir boys don't win flags'.

But for what it's worth, it's nice to see the Saints viewed in the way we've seen this week - instead of the way we were seen in other situations.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
mullet wrote:How long is it exactly to create a culture?

this only 2 years ago.

Culture smulture I say.

I agree to an extent.

Any organisation has a culture. So I disagree with you on that point. Call it what you want, but every organisation has a set of values and a way of doing things - this is what a culture is. Processes and structures relate to the business model - 'culture' relates to behaviours and mindsets.

So culture is very real. Whatever you want to call it.

What is bulls***, is that a club has a culture. It is the people in the club that have a certain mindsets and behaviors. In most organisations as these days, these will even be documented and performance measures linked to them.

So clearly what I'm seeing now, is that a conserted effort has been made at St Kilda to change the way people behvae and the mindsets of everyone at the club. And, there's clearly a focus on the footy world seeing this and altering their perception as a result.

So it's not a 'club' culture. It's not a 'St Kilda culture as such - it's simply the people in charge at the time determining how people within the organisation should behave.

This bit, I don't agree with at all:

"blind freddy knows that only strong clubs on and off the field are successful"

Hawthorn are a rabble off-field in terms of their behaviors. The coach is a violent bully and repeat offender, Rioli was present when an alleged sexual assault took place and instead of helping, he bolted and jumped the back fence FFS. Their fullback was locked up for domestic issues. Their captain is a drink driver and brawls in the streets of Cobram. They have two blokes being investigated for sexual assault. I mean the list goes on, without even mentioning the thuggery on-field from their leaders.

If Hawthorn weren't brilliant on the field, there's no way they'd have been let off the hook by the media and public for their appalling and unsavoury record off it.

So I say winning is what matters. If you win, and are successful on-field - no one cares what you do off it.

Being successful on-field is what people care about, and leads to success off the field - not vice versa in my opinion.

We can have the best culture in the world, but it won't mean s*** in the long run unless we're winning on-field. In fact, I'd bet at some point people would even dare use the unbelievably hypocritical line of 'choir boys don't win flags'.

But for what it's worth, it's nice to see the Saints viewed in the way we've seen this week - instead of the way we were seen in other situations.
This is a great post. Well said. I hope Young Carlisle understands the challenge and opportunities he has ahead of him. He is very well placed to turn all of this around and contribute to a winning culture at St.Kilda. I hope he does.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Love your reply Johnny.

Was not aware of all the other stuff apart from what has happened lately. I was convinced they were the family club which is what they spin.

I actually love all your posts whether or not I agree. I like someone who puts their argument forward without attacking other posters.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Post of the year.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

bigred wrote:I am very happy with Matt Finnis.

Agreed. The difference between his performance and his predecessor, Greg Waste-away, are galaxies apart.

ripplug66
Club Player

Johnny Favier wrote:

Agreed. The difference between his performance and his predecessor, Greg Waste-away, are galaxies apart.

Well in defence of Westaway he wasn't even employed by the club.

loris
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Johnny Favier wrote:

Corect he was the President.......................... and not the CEO, therefore he was not Finnis' predecessor, that was Nettlefold.

starsign
Club Player

+1 Big Fella!
And I can go back that long time mate and help you out with one other maybe. There was a Tasse Bloke Graham Huggins that came along and helped turn the club around in a wonderful fashion including the influx of some great football talent , then releasing us from the stranglehold that was the Junction Oval and finaly culminated in our one and only flag to date! I'm feeling the same vibes now that I felt as I went to the G on that last Sat in Sept '66,just a coupla weeks before my 21st in October 70 years ago And guess what my kids sent me over to Hobart this week for that 70th flying back tomorrow And it's ALL GOOD folks sit back and enjoy the ride together!!

Johnny Favier
Club Player

loris wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Johnny Favier wrote:

Corect he was the President.......................... and not the CEO, therefore he was not Finnis' predecessor, that was Nettlefold.
I stand corrected, yes you're right...I must be getting too old! Scratch what I said... :oops:

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Hawthorn?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Jake's manager should be deregistered
Carlisle should be punished
The AFL should give it Essendope for allowing that drug attitude to prosper.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:It helps that Finnis probably has an excellent relationship with CW.

Most things in life are about relationships and good communication.
What's Craig Willis got to do with it?

Tom_Sainter
Club Player

This does represent an opportunity to help a young man turn around his image and quite possibly his life. I have a very strong feeling that this incident is the rocket Carlisle needed and out of all this mess the saints can be seen as a club which provides a positive environment with good culture and good people in helping turn this
around.
I honestly think he will be a great player for this club in years to come and whilst this is something we all wished didn't happen I highly doubt there will be another stuff up, from reports the penny may have dropped

sainters4eva
Club Player

I wonder how Essendon would have responded to the video and Carlisle if it had been aired the previous evening mmmm?