Daniel McKenzie and others under the radar

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Daniel McKenzie and others under the radar

Watched the Bulldog game last night, the great come back, and what stood out apart from Billings' final quarter was McKenzie. His first quarter he was a bit pressured and coughed it up a couple of times but after that he had a blinder. His contested work on the wing in the 2nd and 4th quarters was fantastic. His run and delivery to the forwards in the 2nd and 3rd was first rate and his courage in the 4th to take a mark going back with the flight was inspirational. I had forgotten him a bit in the second half of the season, but I think there could be really big upside for him next year. FIngers crossed. Any others you folk think might have flown under the radar a bit this year and could be in for bigger and better things in 2016?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Daniel McKenzie and others under the radar

Acres is primed to have a breakthrough season
That Riewolt boy looks good too

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I reckon our best players next year will be Roo, Joey, Fisher, Gilbo, Armo and Steven.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Agreed - lots to like about McKenzie. Thought Hughie applied himself real well when he came in and got better and better.
The 2 Jacks we drafted last year were also very handy :)

Have been a fan of Acres since I saw him in his first intra club and hoping he can deliver on his potential. Also wouldn't be surprised if Webster takes his game to another level this year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Next year will be a big year for a lot of players and how we continue to prgress as a side will depend on the improvement in the 3-5 year players imo. A lot of our younger players are still very much under the radar in regards to oppostion fans.

Ross, Webster, Newnes, Bruce, Billings, Acres, Dunstan, Minchington, our rucks (probably still more lee way on time for them)

2nd year players who play well will be a bonus

Carlisle of course, a lot will be expected as the biggest name import since Gherig. But he's not exactly under the radar ;-)

Munga
Saintsational Legend

That Dogs game is awesome to watch hahaha. McKenzie blitzed through the midfield in the last, could've run through 50 and goaled too.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
resaintlee
Club Player

Long Term Injury wrote:Watched the Bulldog game last night, the great come back, and what stood out apart from Billings' final quarter was McKenzie. His first quarter he was a bit pressured and coughed it up a couple of times but after that he had a blinder. His contested work on the wing in the 2nd and 4th quarters was fantastic. His run and delivery to the forwards in the 2nd and 3rd was first rate and his courage in the 4th to take a mark going back with the flight was inspirational. I had forgotten him a bit in the second half of the season, but I think there could be really big upside for him next year. FIngers crossed. Any others you folk think might have flown under the radar a bit this year and could be in for bigger and better things in 2016?
So pleased to see you make these comments. I also have seen this game on Fox three times since the end of the season and am equally impressed by McKenzie. Let us hope his concussions do not cause a problem for him.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I'm a huge fan of McKenzie. His attack on the ball reminds me of Aaron Hamill. Hope the concussions don't continue in the future. Could be another bargain pick.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

WE get spoilt a bit as footy fans to watch some young guys come straight in and play at an AFL level - Dunstan, Billings, Selwood etc. But the path is often a lot slower and more meandering and that's how its always been. Players will go up and down - look brilliant one week then lost the next and thats part of the learning curve to be consistent and get a big AFL level body and tank. They are also a lot more conscious of being very careful with players injuries - we probably took away Ball's speed by over playing him early. They want the players to have long term careers at peak fitness rather than just come out of the blocks quick but burn out a bit.

-- I'm a big fan of Acres and I think they've nursed him carefully with his injuries, like they've done with Billings, so I'm not too worried that Acres hasn't played a lot of seniors. He is play reader which is rare.
-- With another pre-season and another layer of muscle, I think Dunstan will be able to cope with the heat of the kitchen in the middle better without exhausting himself so much and be more effective around the ground
-- Hickey has been held back by injury and they've been nursing him carefully as well. We've seen what he can do when he gets it together - big forward marks, goals and getting around the ground really well.
-- If Ross can stay injury free, this could be the season we see exactly what he is capable of - his quick hands, time on the ball and size make him a bit different to the norm - could he become our Watson or Kennedy tank type mid?
-- Minch saved his career with a stellar end to the season. Can he take another step as a Joey mid/winger type?
-- Templeton has gone backwards after his injury but he is still applying himself. I still remember the energy and enthusiasm he brought in those first games of his. If he can build a solid tank then maybe he can get back that irrepressible energy and linkup play. You need those sort of extrovert players to energise the team.
-- Mckenzie definitely impressed early days with his marking and courage. Hopefully he'll get more of a shot this year.
-- I know some weren't, but I was impressed with McCartin's first year. He surprised me how versatile he is and he's obviously a huge competitor. With better fitness and size I think we'll see more of a presence on the fwd line this year.

With another batch of youngsters coming in this year (and seemingly better injury management) there is going to be real competition for spots so you've got to moving forward or your going to go backwards.

silverhalo
Club Player

Yep, Acres, McKenzie and I think Minch will have his breakout year next year........There is something very Rhys Jones about Blake Acres......I don't mean he goes around biffing blokes but he seems like he's in slow motion but still has plenty of time.....smooth mover!

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Great thread.

I think it's pretty exciting that we're very likely to see several of our young blokes really kick on next year.

I expect to see bolters in Billings, Acres, McKenzie and Goddard next year....in much the same way that the Doggies had their crop of bolters really come on this year.

Add to that, the continual improvement of Bruce, Dunstan, Ross, Webster and Sinclair (hardly ever makes a mistake this kid), I think we're in for several pleasant surprises next year. Can't wait!

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Yeah Im a big rap for Sinclair as well, he is so clean with his hands and has a great nose for goal. He is a smart little bugger as well, usually finds the right options. I am mindful of second year blues with both him and McKenzie, but I am bullish about both. And, yeah Acres was another that had slipped the mind. I agree with the previous posters that the improvement is likely to come from that 3-5 year group. I'd love to see Acres string a couple of games together. I have only seen him at AFL level and aside from a quarter here or there I havent really seen him stand out to me too much... can anyone remember a game in which he stood out, i'll keep an eye out for it. Cheers in advance.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to see Ross, Webster, Newnes, Roberton, Carlisle, Longer & Billings all make the top 10 B & F next year.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I'd like to see Ross, Webster, Newnes, Roberton, Carlisle, Longer & Billings all make the top 10 B & F next year.
Con, it's sacrilegious to mention Carlisle in the same sentence as those players. You know they might all become drug addicts!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

silverhalo wrote:Yep, Acres, McKenzie and I think Minch will have his breakout year next year........There is something very Rhys Jones about Blake Acres......I don't mean he goes around biffing blokes but he seems like he's in slow motion but still has plenty of time.....smooth mover!
Regarding Blake Acres,
I seem to remember another relatively high DP mid with similar 'smooth mover' attributes who took a while to cement his place in the team.
Nicky Dal

the dome
Club Player

R U N D M C

I'm also looking fwd to Danny Mc coming back into the team post pre-season etc.
Hoping for plenty of games under the belt for DMC & ACERS. These two taller talents making their way through the centre of operations could be the catalyst of a serious transformation @ St. Kilda. :)

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I remember this game well. Daniel McKenzie was playing his second game after having been the sub the previous week & when he fumbled early in the 1st quarter the guy behind me had no clue who he was but was quick to bag him. His game improved as did our luck & I certainly left the guy behind me well aware of who number 36 was. Look forward to seeing more of him next season along with Blake Acres.

To the top
SS Life Member

Acres has the size he has.

Where he really stands apart for mine is his ability to "rake in" the contested ball without having his nose over it, giving himself time and space.

Also his penchant for running forward, and, in one of his to date few AFL games, he ran forward presenting options but was not used wide and inside the 50.

No doubt he has been nurtured to date (plus injuries) but I have great expectations for 2016 and onwards.

bigballs
Club Player

He hasn't exactly flown under the radar, but I'm expecting big things from Brodie Murdoch in 2016.

If he can manage to have a relatively injury free season, I can see him being a major contributor to our football team.

In my opinion, with his powerful left foot, he would make an ideal winger/ half forward as he can drive the ball long into our forward 50 and also kick a long bomb.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
silverhalo wrote:Yep, Acres, McKenzie and I think Minch will have his breakout year next year........There is something very Rhys Jones about Blake Acres......I don't mean he goes around biffing blokes but he seems like he's in slow motion but still has plenty of time.....smooth mover!
Regarding Blake Acres,
I seem to remember another relatively high DP mid with similar 'smooth mover' attributes who took a while to cement his place in the team.
Nicky Dal
Acres and Dal? No comparison. Dal was in our top few mids by his third year. Acres will be lucky to play 15 games next year (his third). I'd love him to turn out half as good as Dal.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Regarding Blake Acres,
Nicky Dal
Acres and Dal? No comparison. Dal was in our top few mids by his third year. Acres will be lucky to play 15 games next year (his third). I'd love him to turn out half as good as Dal.
Acres disposal is nothing like Dals, that's one part of his game Blake needs to improve in.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?