Mock Drafts 2015

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Mock Drafts 2015

There are certain to be plenty of mock drafts this week. I thought it deserved its own thread. It will also make it easier to look back and see which draft expert was closest to the pin. The biggest difference you will notice from these first two is The Roar have Burton going at 6 and Bound for Glory dont even have him top 20. Big oversight from Bound for Glory imo.

Everyone seems to have us going for Mathieson.

The Roar
http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/11/18/a- ... -1-to-112/

Round 1
1. Carlton – Jacob Weitering
2. Brisbane – Josh Schache
3. Melbourne – Bid on Callum Mills (Sydney gives up picks 33, 36, 37, 54 and 72)
3. Melbourne – Darcy Parish
4. Essendon – Bid on Jacob Hopper (GWS gives up pick 10).
4. Essendon – Charlie Curnow
5. Essendon – Sam Weideman
6. Gold Coast – Bid on Eric Hipwood (Brisbane gives up picks
6. Gold Coast – Ryan Burton
7. Melbourne – Bid on Matthew Kennedy (GWS gives up picks 34, 43, 53, 55, 58, 63 and 70)
7. Melbourne – Aaron Francis
8. Carlton – Harry McKay
9. Adelaide- Harley Balic
10. GWS – Given up for Hopper
11. Carlton – Wayne Milera
12. Richmond – Jade Gresham
13. Adelaide – Clayton Oliver
14. St Kilda – Rhys Mathieson
15. Hawthorn – Josh Dunkley
16. Gold Coast – Callum Ah Chee
17. North Melbourne – Darcy Tucker
18. Hawthorn – Kieran Collins
19. Carlton – Sam Skinner
20. Western Bulldogs – Ben McKay

Bound for Glory

1. Carlton - Jacob Weitering
2. Brisbane - Josh Schache
3. Sydney - Callum Mills
4. Melbourne -Charlie Curnow
5. GWS - Jacob Hopper
6. Essendon - Sam Weideman
7. Essendon - Darcy Parish
8. GWS - Matt Kennedy
9. GCS -Wayne Milera
10. Melbourne - Clayton Oliver
11. Brisbane - Eric Hipwood
12. Carlton - Harry McKay
13. Adelaide - Aaron Francis
14. Carlton - Darcy Tucker
15. Brisbane - Ben Keays
16. Richmond - Cal Ah Chee
17. Adelaide - Harley Balic
18. St Kilda - Rhys Mathieson
19. Hawks - Riley Bonner
20. GCS - Jade Gresham

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Re: Mock Drafts 2015

Burton is a problem because of the query on his knee.

Hope he has a long career, but that is the reason

You are garbage - Enough said
ace
Saintsational Legend

Note in both the above our first pick is No18.
Buckenara has our first pick at No 17 with us taking Ben McKay 199cm forward/defender.
He has Mathieson gone at 14
He does not include Rice in his top 35 picks.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Titus has our first pick at No 18 with us taking Jade Gresham 178cm small midfielder.
He has Mathieson gone at 17.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 2d0dd05cfe

BUCKENARA’S PHANTOM DRAFT TOP 30

1. Carlton — Jacob Weitering

Defender, 195cm, 91kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Mt Eliza/The Peninsula School

Gary Buckenara says: This is a really important pick for the Blues and it will deliver a key-position defender in Weitering who can also play a forward role. He will predominantly be that key defender and should play senior footy in 2016. He’s a potential captain.

2. Brisbane Lions — Josh Schache

Forward, 199cm, 96kg, Murray Bushrangers/Seymour

Buckenara says: Schache will be a really good pick for Brisbane because he’s exactly what they need — he’s exactly what every club needs because this type of player is so hard to find. He’s a forward/ruckman with agility, reasonable pace and a reasonable leap to be able to go into the ruck when needed. He’s a beautiful kick on goal and hardly ever misses inside 50.

3. Melbourne — Darcy Parish

Midfielder, 181cm, 74kg, Geelong Falcons/Winchelsea

Buckenara says: Melbourne could bid for Swans Academy midfielder Callum Mills but I think they’ll go straight for Darcy Parish instead. Parish to me is the quality midfielder of this year’s draft pool. He’s got good pace, can win his own footy, is a good decision-maker and kicks the ball very well. Even though Melbourne has a lot of midfielders already, he’s the type of player who has proven in the Under-18s he can play a defensive role behind the footy and be a smart set-up player or go into the midfield and play as a ball-winner with pace and outside run.
Draft hopeful Darcy Parish. Picture: Peter Ristevski

4. Sydney Swans — Callum Mills

Midfielder, 186cm, 80kg, Sydney Swans Academy/North Shore

Buckenara says: An in and under midfielder, Mills is a competitive animal who is super fit, dedicated, has an elite kick and is a potential captain material down the track. He’s a class act.

*I expect Essendon to bid for Swans Academy player Callum Mills and the Swans will match it by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 4.

5. Essendon — Aaron Francis

Forward/defender, 191cm, 92kg, West Adelaide/Woxton North

Buckenara says: Francis is a bit of a Josh Gibson type. He’s a tall defender who can come third man in because he reads the play really well but can also go forward and take a mark and kick a goal. Potentially, he could be a bigger-bodied midfielder, so he’s very adaptable in where he can play. There are question marks on his endurance, so I suspect he’ll play a defensive third-man role given the Bombers lost Jake Carlisle.

6. GWS Giants — Jacob Hopper

Midfielder, 187cm, 88kg, GWS Academy/North Ballarat

Buckenara says: Hopper is very similar to Mills but probably needs to work on his kicking a little bit. He’s a competitive in-and-under player who makes good decisions with the ball.

*I also expect the Bombers to bid for Jacob Hopper and the Giants will match it again by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 6.

7. Essendon — Charlie Curnow

Forward/midfielder, 191cm, 95kg, Geelong Falcons/Torquay

Buckenara says: For the size factor I think the Bombers should go with Curnow. He can be a power forward but because he’s so athletic he can also play as a big-bodied midfielder and win the ball a bit, just like Jarryd Roughead. He can actually also do what Roughead does and that’s go into the ruck, but he can also go in and not ruck but win clearances. To me, that fits a need at Essendon. When the key-position players are there, it’s very hard not to pick them instead of midfielders because it’s a bit easier to find them.
Charlie Curnow at Jan Juc beach. Picture: Nigel Hallett

8. GWS Giants — Matthew Kennedy

Midfielder, 187cm, 88kg, GWS Academy/Collingullie

Buckenara says: A nice size, Kennedy can play as a high half-forward. He’s very clever, reads the play well, has a great pair of hands, makes good decisions and is a beautiful kick..

*I expect the Suns to bid for GWS Academy player Matthew Kennedy and the Giants will match it by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 8.

9. Gold Coast — Sam Weideman

Forward, 196cm, 94kg, Eastern Ranges/Vermont

Buckenara says: Sam has been injured but I liken him to a young Matthew Pavlich. He has very similar traits to Pavlich in that he competes really well, kick the ball well, he’s very athletic, is a nice size and is a potential key-position player. He does need to put a bit more of a body on and needs to get his injuries right, but he’d be a good fit. When the key-position players are there, clubs would be mad to bypass them.

10. Melbourne — Kieran Collins

Defender, 194cm, 100kg, Dandenong Stingrays/Langwarrin/Haileybury College

Buckenara says: Given that Melbourne gets Parish at pick 3, I’d go Collins here even though a lot of people have him going a bit further down the order. I still think he’s going to be a beauty as a key defender. He’s a Brian Lake type, he’s going to be a really big, strong man down back who is able to play on those strong forwards like Tom Hawkins. Sometimes it’s hard to find guys who are capable on playing on those big forwards, so when you’ve got a guy like Collins, who makes good decisions with the footy, is a good kick, reads the play quite well, he’d be an excellent pick and good fit for what Melbourne needs.
Kieran Collins had an outstanding year as a key defender. Picture: Colleen Petch

11. Carlton — Darcy Tucker

Half-back, 184cm, 80kg, North Ballarat/Horsham Saints

Buckenara says: Tucker is a beautiful left-foot kick, he has good endurance, reasonable pace, makes good decisions with the footy and adds a touch of class. He’s a bit of a ball carrier — he’s not afraid to take players on. He’s actually not too dissimilar to Kade Simpson and the Blues need another player like that. He’s also potential captain material going forward.

12. Adelaide — Wayne Milera

Half-forward, 185cm, 75kg, Central Districts/Ingle Farm

Buckenara says: A really clever player with good leg speed, makes good decisions with the footy and can play forward and midfield. He’s another type who can add class and polish to the Crows.

13. Carlton — Harry McKay

Forward, 200cm, 95kg, Gippsland Power/Warragul

Buckenara says: Given I’ve got them taking Tucker and most of the other key-position players are gone, a guy like McKay would be a nice addition. He’s only been playing footy for four or five years, he’s been more of a basketball guy so he came into the program late but really improved and gained a lot of confidence out of his performances in the Under-18 championships. He’s a tall, agile forward who can probably go into the ruck because he can jump. He does need to put a body on but he’s a perfect key-position size.

14. Richmond — Rhys Mathieson

Midfielder, 186cm, 82kg, Geelong Falcons/Bell Park

Buckenara says: Mathieson racks up the possessions, he’s a hardworking in-and-under player who makes good decisions with the footy. He’d be a really good pick-up for the Tigers to add some quality to their midfield depth.

15. Adelaide — Riley Bonner

Half-back, 191cm, 85kg, West Adelaide/Goodwood

Buckenara says: A tallish rebounding defender, Bonner is an Adelaide boy with a beautiful left-foot kick and provides a lot of drive off half-back because he loves to get the ball and run. His ball use is very good and similar to the way Grant Birchall distributes the ball. The go-home factor has probably hurt them a bit in the past so the fact he’s from Adelaide adds a bit of weight here.

16. Brisbane Lions — Eric Hipwood

Forward/defender, 199cm, 84kg, Brisbane Lions Academy/Aspley

Buckenara says: Hipwood is interesting. He can play as a key defender or key forward but is still very raw so the Lions will need to be patient with him. He is a good size and when he puts on a body, he will be a big boy and a fantastic addition. He’s a thumping kick.

*I expect the Saints to bid for Brisbane Academy player Eric Hipwood and the Lions to match it by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 16.

17. St Kilda — Ben McKay

Forward/defender, 199cm, 95kg, Gippsland Power/Warragul

Buckenara says: The twin brother of Harry McKay, Ben does have similar attributes to his brother in his size and shape and he came into the system a bit later this year. At this stage, Ben probably plays a little bit harder than what Harry does and his form at the back end of the year was really good. He would fit well in the St Kilda playing model.

18. Hawthorn — Jade Gresham

Midfielder, 178cm, 77kg, Northern Knights/South Morang

Buckenara says: Given a few of the Hawks midfielders are getting older, Gresham would be a good addition. He was prolific in the TAC Cup and Under-18 championships, has good leg speed, good endurance and uses the ball well. He’s only small in stature but he does win his own ball and has the pace outside, not dissimilar to Billy Hartung who likes to take them on and break the lines. That type of player really goes well with Alastair Clarkson’s game plan.
Play
0:00
/
1:31
Fullscreen
Mute
Up Next

Pick Me: Jade Gresham

19. Brisbane Lions — Ben Keays

Midfielder, 185cm, 83kg, Brisbane Lions Academy/Redland

Buckenara says: A nice mover, Keays is a neat left-footed midfielder who can also play as a rebounding half-back flanker. He is agile and takes them on. He might be a bit too left-sided, so he’ll need to work on using his right foot as well to give him another string to his bow.

*I expect the Suns to bid for Brisbane Academy player Ben Keays and the Lions to match it by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 19.

20. Gold Coast — Harley Balic

Midfielder/half-forward, 187cm, 80kg, Sandringham Dragons/Parkdale

Buckenara says: A mobile midfielder who can play in a number of positions — half-forward, half-back but can go into the midfield — Balic is a competitor who wins his own footy and likes to take the game on. He has an adequate kick but I’d like to see that improve.

21. North Melbourne — Ryan Clarke

Midfielder, 185cm, 84kg, Eastern Ranges/Knox/Melbourne GS

Buckenara says: Clarke is the sort of player the Kangaroos really need — he has good leg speed, can take players on and is a good kick. With Ryan Bastinac leaving he can fill a void there on the outside but he’s also really competitive. He was probably the form player in the TAC Cup in the last half of the year.

22. Hawthorn — Callum Ah Chee

Half-forward, 182cm, 71kg, South Fremantle/Kelmscott

Buckenara says: A West Australian boy, on talent and class I think Ah Chee is one of the best players in the draft. He didn’t have the best of years or Under-18 carnival but that could be because WA didn’t have a good carnival itself. There is more to him than just being a half-forward flanker — he’s a clever playmaker when up the field so he can go into the midfield and he’s got some tricks. He can stand on heads and take a mark and he’s got the Cyril Rioli-style agility. He just needs to improve his tank because he’s been a player who can dominate for 10 minutes a quarter but then go missing.

23. Carlton — Tom Cole

Half-back, 185cm, 76kg, Sandhurst/Bendigo Pioneers

Buckenara says: A nice mover, Cole can play as rebounding defender, on the wing or as a high half-forward. He’s similar to Sam Docherty. He has pace, is a beautiful left-foot kick and makes good decisions with the ball. He’d be a good fit at the Blues.

24. Western Bulldogs — Clayton Oliver

Midfielder, 187cm, 86kg, Murray Bushrangers/Mooroopna

Buckenara says: There’s talk of Oliver going top 10 but when there are good key-position players early you just don’t pass on them and then I’ve got a number of other players in front of him and who are better fits for certain clubs. Oliver had a really good back end of the year where he really stood out, has a good strong body, is a competitive beast and wins a lot of the football. To me, halfway through the year he would have been a smoky pick but his performances in the second half have pushed him up the order.
Clayton Oliver is a draft bolter.

25. Western Bulldogs — Jesse Glass-McCasker

Defender, 196cm, 95kg, Swan Districts

Buckenara says: I think Glass-McCasker has all the attributes. Similar to what I saw in Ben Stratton back in 2009, he can play on talls and smalls because he’s quick and reads the play very well. He’s a bit player-conscious at the moment but that’s because he’s just a kid. He’s a potential key-position defender.

26. Fremantle — Ryan Burton

Forward, 191cm, 90kg, North Adelaide/PHOS Camden

Buckenara says: The Dockers are crying out for a key forward and Burton is exactly that. Burton could go earlier because before his bad leg injury he was touted as a top-10 pick but I think the doubt sees him drift because that injury was a very serious one. He will need to be managed and patience is key as he gets some confidence back, but there is huge upside. He has good pace, a great pair of hands and is a beautiful kick.

27. West Coast — Josh Dunkley

Midfielder, 189cm, 86kg, Gippsland Power/Sale or James Parsons, midfielder, 189cm, 77kg, Eastern Ranges/Norwood

Buckenara says: If Dunkley doesn’t nominate as a father-son for Sydney, which reports suggest he won’t, he would be exactly the type of player Eagles coach Adam Simpson would be looking for. He’s a super competitor and can fill a role as a midfielder who wins the ball or as a lockdown hard-at-it defender who reads the play very well and will be third-man in all the time. He’s exactly the type of player that would suit West Coast’s style.

If Dunkley nominates as a father-son, James Parsons would be a good get as an elite runner who’s really quick, a good ball user and a reasonable decision-maker. On the big Subiaco ground, a guy like Parsons would fit very well.
Play
0:00
/
1:55
Fullscreen
Mute
Up Next

Pick Me: Josh Dunkley

28. Essendon — Daniel Rioli

Small forward, 179cm, 65kg, North Ballarat Rebels/St Marys

Buckenara says: The Bombers won’t let a Rioli slip this time. His combine testing was outstanding — his fitness has always been the query. He’s always been a bit of a later developer but his footy really took off and he showed some great signs this year. Essendon is crying out for that clever small forward and he’s just that.

29. Essendon — David Cunningham

Midfielder, 183cm, 85kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Boroondara Hawks/Melbourne GS

Buckenara says: Leg speed is an issue for Essendon so Cunningham can add something there. He’s a powerful athlete, very quick, carries the ball and is elusive. His leg speed can complement Travis Colyer’s game.

30. GWS Giants — Matthew Flynn

Ruckman, 200cm, 99kg, GWS Giants Academy/Narrandera

Buckenara says: The best ruckman in the draft. Initially he looked a bit overweight but he’s actually very mobile and gets around the ground well. He reads the play well, is a lovely kick and I’d liken him to how Todd Goldstein played at the same age.

*I expect the Kangaroos to nominate GWS Academy player Matthew Flynn and the Giants to match it by using a combination of draft picks that equal pick 30.

31. North Melbourne — Ben Crocker

Half-back, 185cm, 81kg, Oakleigh Chargers/Kew Comets

Buckenara says: The Kangaroos will go for best available who suits their needs and Crocker is that in that he has good leg speed, takes them on, carries the ball and has a good kick although it can be a bit inconsistent. But that might be a bit of a coaching thing in his decision-making, which could improve that element because he has a good technique.

32. Collingwood — Tom Doedee

Half-back, 187cm, 80kg, Geelong Falcons/St Joseph’s

Buckenara says: A very good reader of the play, Doedee is a bit like Andrew Mackie and also has a bit of Ben Stratton about him because he’s got the long arms and is agile so he can play tall and small. He’s got pace, agility and he reads the ball in flight very well so he can be a third-man up type.

33. North Melbourne — Oleg Markov

Midfielder/forward, 188cm, 73kg, North Adelaide/Gepps Cross

Buckenara says: Markov is one of my smokies for this draft but has big upside. His parents have an athletic background so Markov naturally is a good athlete and I thought he was outstanding in the Under-18 Championships for South Australia. He can jump, has good pace and the thing that got me is the improvement in his kicking from 2014 to 2015. He obviously worked really hard on it. He can play high half-forward or can go into the midfield.
Oleg Markov with his dad — world champion pole vaulter Dmitri Markov.

34. Gold Coast — Tim Sullivan

Ruckman, 199cm, 90kg, Glenelg/Port MacDonell

Buckenara says: North Melbourne might also look at Sullivan because both teams need a ruckman. He’ll be a developer who they’ll need to put some time into and work on his kicking — it’s not bad but not great, either. He’s a nice athletic boy and this year was a learning year because it was the first time he was really exposed to a program. He’s not your typical 200cm plus ruckman — he has a great leap, is very mobile and can take a mark.

35. Western Bulldogs — Josh Schoenfeld

Midfielder, 187cm, 75kg, Peel Thunder/Rockingham

Buckenara says: An elite runner who tested very well at the combine, Schoenfeld broke the 3km time-trial record and has really improved his skills year on year and his ability to win his own footy — he was a bit outside in previous year. He has elite endurance, he’s a really hard runner and to have him on a wing or half-back flank, could be really damaging. In time he could be very similar to Isaac Smith.

BUCKY’S SMOKEYS

Clint Hinchcliffe — a midfielder from Perth who moves a bit like Sam Mitchell

Maris Olekalns — South Australian won the 20m sprint at the draft combine in 2.88 sec

Hisham Kerbaetieh — mid/forward from the Calder Cannons who booted 46 goals in the past two TAC Cup seasons

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Dont think Bucky has much of a clue about the Saints - With Bruce, Paddy, Goddard and Carlisle I am not sure we have much use for a 199cm player? And Ill be flabbergasted if Oliver is still there at 24.

resaintlee
Club Player

Sanderson and Twomey on the Afl site have a broadcast of a phantom draft with us taking Mitch Hibberd at 18. Listened to it yesterday but didn't record all their selections.

Gershwin
Club Player

Footy Prophet (Paige Cardona):

17: St Kilda – Darcy Tucker
Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 25/07/1997
Recruited from: North Ballarat
Draft Range: 10-25
Position: Medium Midfielder/Defender

Blessed with speed, agility, and a bullet-like left foot, Tucker regularly repels his team from half back. Started to spend more time in the midfield after having played most of his football as a damaging rebounding defender and as his team’s go-to man in defence. A strong leader who is well respected by his peers. Loves to run and carry the ball, which is arguably the most exciting part of his game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Gershwin
Club Player

Inside Football (Brett Anderson):

17: St Kilda - Rhys Mathieson (Geelong Falcons)
St Kilda could go a few ways but is still looking to beef up the midfield and could use a competitive beast who excels around the stoppages like "The Big Dog".

summertime and the living is easy ........
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Burton is interesting if still available at our pick. I think Paddy and Bruce will be ok long term, but I'm not yet convinced about Membrey. Burton could be the perfect foil as the 3rd tall.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
avid
Club Player

I'd be fabberghasted if we picked anothe ruck/forward with Gresham, Oliver, Balic, Ah Chee, Hibbert, Clarke still on the table.
It's got to be one of them. I'd be delighted with Tucker, Mathieson, Bonner, Milera, etc if any of them were available too.
Surely we will just get one of that lot -- which is exactly all we were ever going to get, even with pick 5 -- and we'll be as happy as Larry.
This should be completely stress free!.
Last edited by avid on Sun 22 Nov 2015 12:03am, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

We need run and carry badly. If best available mid slips through who is inside then grab him, but don't need size at this stage - Bruce, McCartin, Membery, Hickey, Carlile, Goddard, Delenaey , Lee KP options

Scoop
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:Footy Prophet (Paige Cardona):

17: St Kilda – Darcy Tucker
Height: 181cm, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 25/07/1997
Recruited from: North Ballarat
Draft Range: 10-25
Position: Medium Midfielder/Defender

Blessed with speed, agility, and a bullet-like left foot, Tucker regularly repels his team from half back. Started to spend more time in the midfield after having played most of his football as a damaging rebounding defender and as his team’s go-to man in defence. A strong leader who is well respected by his peers. Loves to run and carry the ball, which is arguably the most exciting part of his game.
From the draft combine measurements, Tucker is 183.4cm and 79.8kg.

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Burton is interesting if still available at our pick. I think Paddy and Bruce will be ok long term, but I'm not yet convinced about Membrey. Burton could be the perfect foil as the 3rd tall.
Burton is saying he reckons he can play mid and bases his game on Fyfe. Whether this eventuates or not time will tell - but he has a lot going for him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt the consensus that Tucker had a disappointing season after moving from half back to the midfield? Still some question marks on him. I like the look of him and I really like his kicking action but not sure how much upside he has in him? For me Burton and Oliver seem to have higher ceilings. Tucker is a nice neat player just wondering if he can make the transition upwards.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

resaintlee wrote:Sanderson and Twomey on the Afl site have a broadcast of a phantom draft with us taking Mitch Hibberd at 18. Listened to it yesterday but didn't record all their selections.
I would not be unhappy with Mitch Hibberd - 190cm, 2nd in the beep test, 3rd in the 3km, 1st in kicking. Was held back by injuries.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... kthn1.html

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-31/2 ... ll-hibberd

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Looking at last year - Emma Quayle was very close

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/a ... 1uey0.html

So Ill be looking very closely at her mock draft this week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

From today - Emma Quayle
he Saints identified and addressed two key needs during the trade period, bringing Carlisle in as a key defender and recruiting Nathan Freeman, who, provided he can put significant hamstring problems behind him, will add a burst of pace to their midfield. They have a big group of medium backs but could still do with a bit more class there, and for that reason it would be easy to see Darcy Tucker appealing to them, or even Mitchell Hibberd, Tom Cole or Riley Bonner. The Saints are still in the process of building their midfield group, 14 is a good pick, and all it takes is for one or two clubs to do something unexpected earlier, and a player you rate in your top six or seven could make it to you, especially in a draft as open as this one. Harley Balic would be a good fit given his vision around the contest and ability to move through all parts of the ground, and Jade Gresham's run and carry could be right up their alley. Aidyn Johnson would bring that too, but he doesn't have the same runs on the board as Gresham due to injury. Rhys Mathieson and Josh Dunkley's hunger for the ball would make them worth considering here too, though the Saints are fairly well placed for inside mids. Kieran Collins would add a little more depth to their group of tall backs, and forward Ryan Burton would be worth a look too. The Saints' next decision will centre on Bailey Rice, who could attract a bid in the late 20s or early 30s, forcing them to use the points attached to 45 (and possibly a bit of 68, depending on where the pick comes) to get the son of Dean. Pick 45 will jump up quite few spots in the order as academy bids are matched, which could help them match the bid using just one pick but could also see them with a tricky decision to make if there's someone on the board they like more. The Saints have also been linked to former Geelong defender Mitch Brown, following his impressive year in the VFL. He might need to get past a few clubs to reach their third or fourth pick.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... z3s8buYdKq
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Some research notes:

I have just discovered that Mathieson tested bottom 5% in the beep test and very poorly in both the sprint tests. So he is slow with poor endurance.

I also noted that Luke Hodge (pick 1) ran a 2.95 in the 20m sprint when he tested. So I think those comparing Mathieson to Hodge are slightly deluded.

The big upside for Mathieson is he played one VFL game for Geelong (v Box Hill) and did well - 17 disposals, 10 clearances, 4 tackles. So no doubting he is tough like Hodge (but doesn't have anything like the same skill or athleticism).

Darcy Tucker - tested very well. Elite beep test (3rd) and tested well in the sprint (2.98), clean hands (top 10) and the jumps (top 10). Also played a game in the VFL for the Roosters (v Geelong) and did well - 19 disposals, 7 marks.

Im starting to lean towards Balic, Oliver, Bonner, Tucker or Hibberd. From what I can tell Tucker is similar in style to Freeman although not as quick. Freeman ran a 2.82 20m sprint - which makes him very very quick (probably explains hamstring issues). Freeman also had a top 10 beep test.

Apparently Oliver had OP last summer - which is why he took a while to warm up last season.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 22 Nov 2015 9:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phantom Drafts 2015

Calum Twomey's official 2015 phantom draft top 30. Has us taking Balic - Id be happy with that. Seems like a solid all round player. No weaknesses to speak of.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-22/c ... ntom-draft

HARLEY BALIC
5/1/97, 186cm, 80kg
Sandringham Dragons

Draft Trumps: Meet Harley Balic

Balic creates things out of nothing. He's clever when the ball's at ground level, quick with his hands and rarely gets caught in traffic. His evasive skills get him out of trouble, and across the year he showed he could play in different roles across the ground – at half-forward, through the midfield and at half-back. St Kilda has been one of the most interested clubs throughout Balic's season, which was cut short by wrist surgery in August. He will be well on the way to full training by the time he lands at an AFL club.

Going Places: Will Balic's big decision pay dividends?

If not him? The Saints seem likely to discuss midfielders Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Clarke and Brayden Fiorini, as well as Jade Gresham, at this selection.

(note: He has Mathieson at 28. Obviously big worries about his lack of pace and terrible beep test).

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fox Sports Phantom Draft 2015

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7619985219
PICK 18: ST KILDA — DARCY TUCKER (North Ballarat)

Darcy Tucker is a running half-back with a classy left foot. He has pace, can break the lines and will also be able to move into the midfield in due time. He averaged 23 disposals in the TAC Cup and 18 disposals in the national championships. He is also the captain of North Ballarat and is a natural leader both on and off the field. He ran a 15.3 beep test at the combine, which was third overall, and was among the best in the clean hands test. The Saints have the luxury of picking the best player available and like Tucker’s skills off half-back.
Emma Quayle Phantom Draft 2015

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/trading-an ... l5zr3.html
SEVENTEEN
ST KILDA
Darcy Tucker
(North Ballarat Rebels. 183cm. 80kg)
A generator who can set up play with his run and delivery from half-back.
The rationale: The Saints are looking for runners. That's what Tucker does. He's still working on his inside game but get him the ball and he will carry it, look for targets and find them.
The catch: Could the Saints go for full-back Kieran Collins? He, Jake Carlisle and Hugh Goddard would set their defence up nicely for the future. Jade Gresham, Brayden Fiorini, Riley Bonner and Harley Balic are others to consider.
Note: Fox Sports has Mathieson at 24 and Quayle does not have him in the top 24. So ask yourself why would the Saints rate him at 17/18?

avid
Club Player

Amazing that Mathieson doesn't crack a mention at all in Emma Quayle's mock draft!
(Will he be around for our pick 79 or whatever we have?)

I'll be happy with Tucker, if things go as she predicts.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The final Mock Draft - Brett Anderson

The hype around Oliver is now fever pitched - possible top 5.

http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/bretts ... ThgslzH.97

17. Jade GRESHAM
Northern Knights | 24/8/97 | Ht: 178 | Wt: 77
“Jade is a decorated young player. He’s played Vic Metro; he’s got MVP for Vic Metro and All-Australian, then he’s also won our best and fairest as well at club level playing 11-12 games because of Vic Metro commitments. This year he just dominated at the Knights and consistently drove the ball inside 50. His greatest trait is that he can play both inside and outside – he’s got a brilliant sidestep and he can kick goals. He’s got a bit of that Brent Harvey and ironically, his father played in back-to-back flags at the Knights – ’95, ‘96 – and he played one year with Boomer in the ’95 premiership.“ – Northern Knights’ talent manager Peter Kennedy
If not him, who else? Rhys Mathieson, Ryan Clarke, Kieran Collins, Harry McKay.

Read more at http://www.sen.com.au/news/11-15/bretts ... jUGXF5B.99
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 24 Nov 2015 3:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

How come this guy - Morgan - is outside Buckenara's top 35 ?

He ran the fastest 20 metres at the combine ... and likes to run and carry! He shimmies/sidesteps well too. Maybe he's considered injury prone?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:How come this guy - Morgan - is outside Buckenara's top 35 ?

He ran the fastest 20 metres at the combine ... and likes to run and carry! He shimmies/sidesteps well too. Maybe he's considered injury prone?

You are right - he does look good and very quick.