Gilbert and Geary - surplus to requirements?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert and Geary - surplus to requirements?

Yes yes I know Geary is the coach's favourite player and Gilbo is a fan favourite (so tall, so tanned, so blonde) but really are these guys now list cloggers? Both have serious problems with their kicking and this is not just opinion but statistical fact.

Given that kicking is so important in modern footy and given we now have McKenzie, Webster, Roberton, Savage, Rice, White, Wright, Shenton, Newnes (9 players) all competing for a spot in that role - are Geary and Gilbo now in their final season?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 25 Nov 2015 5:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbert and Geary - surplus to requirements?

Seriously??

List cloggers??

Both will play the majority of next season as well as the season after - Gilbert will get a lot of midfield time barring injury

If you think a couple of raw 18 to 20 year olds are going to make a huge impact in our side then your having a laugh

We still need experience and Gilbert and Geary can supply that in spades and our youngsters will be better for it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:Seriously??

List cloggers??

Both will play the majority of next season as well as the season after - Gilbert will get a lot of midfield time barring injury

If you think a couple of raw 18 to 20 year olds are going to make a huge impact in our side then your having a laugh

We still need experience and Gilbert and Geary can supply that in spades and our youngsters will be better for it
Sorry - maybe I did not phrase my post terribly well . Obviously they are contracted and will play plenty in 2016 - I meant beyond 2016. The reason for my post isnt simply to take a pot shot at these two - it is in response to us drafting another couple of flanker/defenders (Rice, White). I mean how many do we need? And we need to get some games into kids somehow. Obviously Faz was let go with this kind of logic in mind - so I dont think I am being overly controversial or inflammatory. These things happen in AFL clubs. Everyone cant play forever.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 25 Nov 2015 4:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Seriously??

List cloggers??

Sorry - maybe I did not phrase my post terribly well . Obviously they are contracted and will play plenty in 2016 - I meant beyond 2016. The reason for my post isnt simply to take a pot shot at these two - it is in response to us drafting another couple of flanker/defenders. I mean how many do we need? And we need to get some games into kids somehow. Obviously Faz was let go with this kind of logic in mind - so I dont think I am being overly controversial or inflammatory. These things happen in AFL clubs. Everyone cant play forever.

Con surely we have to see how the new guys go and even the second and third year players. I don't get the need for a thread that seems to want to be the first to announce the demise of players. If Geary finishes top 5 again in the B&F next season he isn't going anywhere. As for Gilbert well we need to see a full season from him before he is staying or going. Those wanting to see the end of certain players will eventually be right but are more likely to be wrong much longer than they are right. Just look at Schneides this season. Some wanted him out every week. They were wrong nearly every week but were eventually right.

I just hope whoever plays in certain positions has a good year whether its a younger or older guy. And remember about 50% of young guys will struggle to make any impact at all on our club. History shows that.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish thread. Whilst Geary can't kick properly he's a leader and a tough unit. Very reliable.

Gilbo is pure A grade. Nuff said.

Plenty of young kids on our list that have few credits that are more of an issue.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
supersaints
Club Player

Both players required, we need the new players to transition from raw inexperienced recruits to AFL players. At present we need experience, both players deserve their spot.
Can't wait fir someone to star calling Roo a " lust clogger" as he closes in on his carrear.

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
supersaints
Club Player

That's list clogger... Damm auto correct

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I would expect both to feature heavily in 2016.

Despite the fact that neither of them can kick.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Rubbish thread. Whilst Geary can't kick properly he's a leader and a tough unit. Very reliable.

Plenty of young kids on our list that have few credits that are more of an issue.

Lol A-Grade

Yeah right. That's why the opposition clubs have relentlessly bid for him over the last 5 years

#gosaintas
Club Player

Geary will hopefully be playing at Sandy by the end of the year. He's a liability.
As long as Gilbo is playing in the middle I think he has value. In the backline he's hopeless.

To the top
SS Life Member

Simply, Gilbert is a seriously good footballer able to contribute in multiple positions.

He showed on return from long term injuries last season just how good and versatile he is.

Geary is a different kettle of fish and I would agree (hope) is now surplus to requirements.

A rabbit in the headlights whenever he has the ball.

You can not rely solely on courage - you have to have courage and skills.

lewdogs
Club Player

There'd be at least 10 players that are below these two.

On Gilbert, Richo loves him and I'm guessing he'd be one of the first names on the team sheet each week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is in our top five players easily and will play most of the season in the midfield, injuries permitting.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert is at last fully fit again and I fully expect him to have an outstanding year.

Like last year I expect him to have stints through the midfielder.

Guy is a line breaker and not every player has the knack for that.

He is also a beautiful reader of the play which allows him to intercept like many cannot.

Personally I am very excited about our team balance now. We have every positioned covered with great balance and redundancy. Though yes a number of the young kids still need to mature.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

Statistical fact?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

certainly will be interesting to watch this year

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish thread. No further comment necessary

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Geay and Gilbert offer something we need right now. Experience. The next two years will be crucial for our the development of our younger players. We are going through a transition similar to 2000-3. We are on the cusp of an exciting new era. Natural selection will take its course. When they no longer offer enough, they will be discarded. That time is some way off yet. IMHO of course.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
quidnunc
Club Player

I agree with ripplug66 when above he states:

" I don't get the need for a thread that seems to want to be the first to announce the demise of players."

Similar to a thread started by a poster back in August during the season this year whilst players were still battling to prove their value to St.Kilda F.C.

Thread title:

"Guess the delistings"

Was there on the outer wing as a youngster flying the flag in '66 - still loyal, still passionate!
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Gilbo is an absolute lock if fit. He's in the first 5 selected, incredibly versatile and has some serious weapons. On the wing, through the middle, at half forward. Height, speed, tackling machine, brilliant overhead mark and spoil, kicking not nearly as bad as many suggest despite the odd mega shank. A gun.

Geary is another matter. He has proven that he is anything but versatile. Cannot play forward under any circumstances, not fast or skilled enough for the wing, and has shown he is not up to it in the midfield.

Only leaves the backline.

As I see it, we have 5 locks in defence - Chips, Carlisle, Dempster, Webster and Goddard. Then there's Savage and/or Roberton who play that half back attacking role so well (and will only improve). Add to that trying to give more time to McKenzie and Acres, who will feature off half back, not even taking into account Rice and White as new back half recruits, where does Geary fit?

If competing against Savage and Roberton, I think we are compelled to go the younger, more skilled player(s).

He has far too many glaring weaknesses to purely be selected on effort and leadership.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Some people don't want to hear it but if you can't kick you can't play AFL football anymore.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Gilbo is an absolute lock if fit. He's in the first 5 selected, incredibly versatile and has some serious weapons. On the wing, through the middle, at half forward. Height, speed, tackling machine, brilliant overhead mark and spoil, kicking not nearly as bad as many suggest despite the odd mega shank. A gun.
Riewoldt
Montagna
Armitage
Steven
Dempster
Roberton
Bruce
Fisher
Weller
Webster
Carlisle

First 5 selected!

Name the 6 he stomps

ripplug66
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:Some people don't want to hear it but if you can't kick you can't play AFL football anymore.

Well that's completely incorrect. Even you said Gilbert should play so you are arguing against yourself.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Rubbish thread. Whilst Geary can't kick properly he's a leader and a tough unit. Very reliable.

Pure A grade? Are you for real? Was ranked as one of the worst kicks in the AFL. This is a statistical fact.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-28/t ... -for-kicks

And how can a guy who hasnt made the top 10 in the B & F at one of the bottom sides be considered 'pure A grade'? He isnt ranked in the top 200 players in the comp.
I am happy for people to defend him and abuse me but can we stop with the ridiculous fantasising.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... am-GILBERT

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend