Draft Assessment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Draft Assessment

I have no idea how we went in the draft as no body has but in the trade period we did very well so without even seeing any play its a pass mark. What the club did do is recruit mids and then hopefully more mids. We had our young KPP already at the club so it was the correct idea to get mids. I see it as a very good period for the club but we wont know for sure until another 3 years. Even last years draft looks very good but there is no certainty until another couple of years.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Draft period
100/100
Carlisle
Freeman
Gresham
White
Rice
We needed speed. CHECK. We wanted to keep our focus of elite kicking. CHECK. toughness. CHECK. Leadership. CHECK.

Absolute stoked!! brandon White wouldve gone top 20 had he not been ill for major scout session and injured during first stages. Cannot believe how stupid recruiters are. HAVE A LOOK AT HIM!! 189cm and sprints like carl lewis in 1989. kicks like birchall he better than bonner and much better peron and attitude .. LOCAL boy!
we are buildinjhg a tough, skilled TEAM. we are doing so well. Team chemistry is high, toughness is huge and skill is elite.
Precisely! We got everything needed on our shopping list. If Carlisle and Freeman show their full potential in 2016, it will go down as very successful period of recruiting.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I wonder where we had David Cunningham in our rankings. He was never discussed on here but knightmare had him ranked 28th and Carlton picked him with 23. Pacey midfielder from the Oakleigh chargers. Must have been quite close I reckon. Ill bet we had him ranked higher than Matho;

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Very solid

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I guess it comes to down performance.

If we havent made the top 8 by 2018 then I think we can unleash the vitriole on the club because that means the recruiters have been rubbish. Noone should be spared. But I think we still give them another two full seasons to develop. Guys like Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Membrey, Billings, Freeman, Wright, Murdoch, Minchington, Longer need to start standing up in 2016. The apprenticeship/mollycoddling is over for 3-5 year players.
There is no way we will make the top 8 in 2018. That will be the first year without Riewoldt and Montagna and probably Dempster, with Fisher having retired a year before that. It is also likely that Gilbert won't still be playing then either. 2016 bottom four or five finish development year, 2017/18 transition into the mid-table on the ladder. Poor drafting during the glory years compounded by a couple of years under WA Inc when we drafted the WAFL's finest forwards while inexplicably giving away our best drafted WA talent to West Coast for a song has made absolutely sure of that.

If we are back in the 8 and play in a prelim in 2019 the club have done a sensational job.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I think the comparison with Melbourne is interesting but if you line it up against:

McCartin, Billings, Freeman, Carlisle, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Gresham, Newnes, Longer, Bruce, Goddard, Wright, McKenzie, and Lonie - we've done pretty well ourselves.

Obviously haven't mentioned a few others like; Savage, Hickey, Lee (I know), Webster, White, Rice, Sinclair and maybe Templeton/Murdoch into the mix - we are looking even better.

You mention Hogan but would you really trade him for Bruce? I wouldn't.

My only vacancy is for a big bodied midfielder to impose. At the moment we have Armo and Ross. Could do with a 190cm midfielder additional imo.

All things considered I would give us an 8/10 in terms of gut satisfaction.

My only doubt is should we have taken Burton (who may move into midfield). Hope we don't regret it. But very excited about Gresham who makes even Steven appear lanky once the legs are properly ignited.

The guy seems to hit top speed on two steps.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SuperDuper
Club Player

10/10

Now let me clarify. I have no idea how to rank the players, or who should have gone where or whether Gresham is worth pick 14 or pick 7.

But in terms of how the night panned out for the Saints recruiters, it was 10/10.
They knew they would not land players such as Parish.Oliver, Francis... but they *hoped* Gresham, who they rated highly, would make it past Richmond (amongst others)
He made it and that was their favoured result, given the pick we had

Then they hoped no one would bid for Rice at a pick which is lower than the points we had (i.e. before about 30). They didnt.

Then, they hoped that no one would bid for Rice before our 2nd pick, so we could use 40 (originally 43?) for another player. They didnt.

3 hopes realised already

Finally, they hoped that someone we rated highly (top 20) would make it to our 2nd pick... White made it from (allegedly) being rated 14 by our club (excluding academy players)

So.. *all* the cards fell our way

The night rates 10/10

How the draft rates is another question that cannot be determined for 5 years (at least)
Last edited by SuperDuper on Wed 25 Nov 2015 9:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:
My only vacancy is for a big bodied midfielder to impose. At the moment we have Armo and Ross. Could do with a 190cm midfielder additional imo.
People keep forgetting Acres. Way too early be writing him off. Remember he is young. Younger than Templeton and Billings. He is 190cm.
Had 2 VFL games last season with 30+disposals as a 19yo. That proves he can play.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... lake-ACRES

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Sorry I could have mentioned Acres I certainly didn't forget him, but I don't see him as a big bodied midfielder, but more the clever, cool headed, and damaging with ball use type. He may put on considerably more size and show more pack aggression, hope so.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

If we havent made the top 8 by 2018 then I think we can unleash the vitriole on the club because that means the recruiters have been rubbish. Noone should be spared. But I think we still give them another two full seasons to develop. Guys like Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Membrey, Billings, Freeman, Wright, Murdoch, Minchington, Longer need to start standing up in 2016. The apprenticeship/mollycoddling is over for 3-5 year players.
There is no way we will make the top 8 in 2018. That will be the first year without Riewoldt and Montagna and probably Dempster, with Fisher having retired a year before that. It is also likely that Gilbert won't still be playing then either. 2016 bottom four or five finish development year, 2017/18 transition into the mid-table on the ladder. Poor drafting during the glory years compounded by a couple of years under WA Inc when we drafted the WAFL's finest forwards while inexplicably giving away our best drafted WA talent to West Coast for a song has made absolutely sure of that.

If we are back in the 8 and play in a prelim in 2019 the club have done a sensational job.
You've got to be kidding!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

2012-2017 = 6 straight seasons out of the 8.

Surely we need to be in the 8 in 2018? Not saying top 4. Just saying 5-8.

7 straight seasons out of the 8 would be disastrous. It would also mean our recruitment has failed.
If we can't make the 8 in 2018 - it basically means this whole generation of players arent much chop.

Losing Gilbo wont be a loss and Fisher will probably only play 5-10 games in 2016 anyway so neither of those seem like excuses for not making the 8 in 2018.
Yes losing Dempster, Roo, Joey will hurt but we are making that transition already.

ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

2012-2017 = 6 straight seasons out of the 8.

Surely we need to be in the 8 in 2018? Not saying top 4. Just saying 5-8.

7 straight seasons out of the 8 would be disastrous. It would also mean our recruitment has failed.
If we can't make the 8 in 2018 - it basically means this whole generation of players arent much chop.

Losing Gilbo wont be a loss and Fisher will probably only play 5-10 games in 2016 anyway so neither of those seem like excuses for not making the 8 in 2018.
Yes losing Dempster, Roo, Joey will hurt but we are making that transition already.

Unless Fisher is injured he will play most games this season. He isn't running around to help players like some others do. he wants to play. Gilbert is a loss if he has a good season. If he is injured or doesn't then he obviously isn't a loss. As for making the transition I agree on Joey and Dempster but there is no transition on Rooy. Its nearly impossible to transition a once in a generation KPP. I'm with samarisaint and would suggest 2018 may still be a middling year. We may or may not sneak into the 8 but I don't get how 9th makes the recruiting a failure but 8th doesn't. I do worry about 2017 if about 4 players leave and that is why we need to manage the players leaving after next season. Fisher will surely retire but we also need to let another older player go. You wouldn't want to lose Joey, Fisher, Dempster and maybe Gilbert at the end on 2017. That would make 2018 very hard word especially if those players had played most games.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

10/10

We've recruited the best available prospects - significantly, those we considered would bring much needed outside run to complement our bevy (maybe even surfeit?) of inside midfielders (adding outside run was always our aim, as Elshaug pointed out) - and on that basis, 10/10!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote: I guess it comes to down performance.

Noone should be spared.
Are we going to rookie him, or leave him at Sandi??????

Plissken

Hello guys/gals im a newbie here and just popped my saintsational cherry with this post :D

Im pretty good with my Saints knowledge , especially the 80s & 90s players/games etc but ill admit i dont go over the draft period with a fine tooth comb.
So out of Gresham,White & Rice do we give any a chance of making an impact next season in the same way Lonie or Sinc's did or are we looking a bit more long term?
I know Rice played a little VFL with Carltank so he's maybe a little more advanced .
If Freeman can get his hammy right he should be ready for an early call up cos hes already been in the system for a couple of yrs and seems pretty strong in the upper body.
For those who have watched Gresham , do you think its his tank or bulk that need the most work to reach AFL standard?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Plissken wrote:Hello guys/gals im a newbie here and just popped my saintsational cherry with this post :D

Im pretty good with my Saints knowledge , especially the 80s & 90s players/games etc but ill admit i dont go over the draft period with a fine tooth comb.
So out of Gresham,White & Rice do we give any a chance of making an impact next season in the same way Lonie or Sinc's did or are we looking a bit more long term?
I know Rice played a little VFL with Carltank so he's maybe a little more advanced .
If Freeman can get his hammy right he should be ready for an early call up cos hes already been in the system for a couple of yrs and seems pretty strong in the upper body.
For those who have watched Gresham , do you think its his tank or bulk that need the most work to reach AFL standard?
Welcome to SS......you sound like a long time Sainter....

Plissken

st.byron wrote:
Plissken wrote:Hello guys/gals im a newbie here and just popped my saintsational cherry with this post :D

Welcome to SS......you sound like a long time Sainter....
yeah.
Since late 70s. Been a member for nearly 25yrs.
Went a very long time without missing a game but nowdays prob go to 5 or so games and watch the rest on telly.
For some sadistic reason i have very fond memories of the 80s even though our team was about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I could see Gresham playing a bit of seniors next year. As smaller young guys, they'll be managing the bodies of Lonie, Sinclair and Billings carefully. Gresham looks like he's got the poise to deal with the pace of AFL and he seems to get around the ground well.

White may be handled a bit like McKenzie - needs to do his time developing and there will be quite a few in front of him in that rebounding half back role.

Rice may be a bit more seasoned (looks a decent size) and the club would be tempted to give him a game early to then trumpet the father-son connection.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote: I guess it comes to down performance.

Noone should be spared.
Are we going to rookie him, or leave him at Sandi??????
Sharp as ever, Loris :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
longtimesaint
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:

You can't say we won't make the 8 in 2018 as young players in second to fourth seasons can have a break out year.
With the players drafted/traded in the last 3/4 years I think we will be able to cover the loss of Gilbert, Dempster and Joey by 2017
Replacing Rooey is much more difficult as he has been one of the champions of the game.
However great champions have always retired eventually and someone usually steps up.
It may be Paddy McCartin or we may recruit a free agent by 2017/18.

One year will be our year
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Do we actually have to replace Roo? We just need a good functioning fwd line with 6 good players in it. We dont necessarily need the big star to win a flag. Heck we nearly won a flag in 1997 with a no name fwd line. Winmar was the biggest star back then.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Do we actually have to replace Roo? We just need a good functioning fwd line with 6 good players in it. We dont necessarily need the big star to win a flag. Heck we nearly won a flag in 1997 with a no name fwd line. Winmar was the biggest star back then.
We did have Stewie Loewe and Everitt in 97

One year will be our year
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Do we actually have to replace Roo? We just need a good functioning fwd line with 6 good players in it. We dont necessarily need the big star to win a flag. Heck we nearly won a flag in 1997 with a no name fwd line. Winmar was the biggest star back then.
Barry Hall
Jason Heatley

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
True.
not a bad fwd line really.. A good mix. The point is u cant rely on one star. U need a few good players.
Four good players is better than one star. So the point stands. We dont need to replace roo. We just need Bruce billings mccartin membrey lonie to be a good unit that kick goals.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

True Con. Some goal kicking mids would also be great. It's something we never really have had