Saints versus Sydney 1994

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Saints versus Sydney 1994

If you have Foxtel and have never seen the 1994 game against Sydney then turn it on now. You have missed the Craven incident but you will eventually see what I class as our most amazing win I have ever seen. It is well worth a look.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints versus Sydney 1994

Is this the game where Peter Caven headbutted Tony Lockett's elbow?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
Winmar
Club Player

It was a vicious, vicious headbutt. I'm not sure if Plugger ever forgave Caven for that.

Brilliant comeback in that game. I was playing soccer at the time, so unfortunately didn't get to see it live.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

This match was the greatest example of one man winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
ripplug66
Club Player

I still think there is no way we can win.

joeyjohnw
Club Player

There were more than a few times in that quarter where the commentators said that despite all our effort it was too little too late. What a game

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

At the time I thought plugger just shrugged off that little turd. Clearly the tribunal disagreed!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Remember the game vividly. Watched it at the McKinnon Hotel with a few Magpie mates. Pretty sure it was a Sunday sip..They bagged us, and Plugger all day. What a last 15 minutes. I know all my mates were so jealous of the big boy. He was just so good. What a star he was, and how gutted I was when he left. Never been the same since, and never will.

This is the single game where I tell people that Lockett is far better player than Dunstall, Carey and Ablett. Plugger single handedly pulled us across the line. I have this game saved to my Foxtel hard drive and watch it once or twice a year. What a game. What a player plugger was. Best player I have ever seen.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:At the time I thought plugger just shrugged off that little turd. Clearly the tribunal disagreed!
I will always have the opinion that Caven simply got in the way of the flight of the ball. He just drifts into Plugger's lead with no awareness at all. Plugger sees him at the last moment and protects himself. It looks bad I admit that but wasn't worth 8 weeks

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I watched it live. I was right in line with the incident. Thought plugger had killed him to be honest. Accidentally of course. He wasn't reported at the time and the umps told him at the break that he didn't have any worries. Then I saw the video replay at half time. :oops:

Saints43
Club Player

stevie wrote:I will always have the opinion that Caven simply got in the way of the flight of the ball. He just drifts into Plugger's lead with no awareness at all. Plugger sees him at the last moment and protects himself. It looks bad I admit that but wasn't worth 8 weeks
Full credit to Caven for being extremely brave doing what the coach asked of him, but...

I reckon the umpires could have avoided his injury by paying free kicks against him for making contact with Lockett more than five metres from the ball numerous times during the game. If Lockett had been given shots at goal when justified then the tactic would have been abandoned. But the umpires often seemed to have a 'he's big enough to look after himself' attitude to applying the rules....

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

remboy wrote:This match was the greatest example of one man winning a game off his own boot that you will ever see.
+ 1

Vazelos
Club Player

Plugger is the greatest player I have ever seen!!!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I was 14 at the time. Sydney were bottom of the ladder from memory and I was getting so angry that they were beating us. When Plugger went nuts in the last I was running and jumping around the house even before we hit the lead. The win just felt a certainty.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
stevie wrote:I will always have the opinion that Caven simply got in the way of the flight of the ball. He just drifts into Plugger's lead with no awareness at all. Plugger sees him at the last moment and protects himself. It looks bad I admit that but wasn't worth 8 weeks
Full credit to Caven for being extremely brave doing what the coach asked of him, but...

I reckon the umpires could have avoided his injury by paying free kicks against him for making contact with Lockett more than five metres from the ball numerous times during the game. If Lockett had been given shots at goal when justified then the tactic would have been abandoned. But the umpires often seemed to have a 'he's big enough to look after himself' attitude to applying the rules....
Reckon Barassi was coaching Sydney at the time and Craven was deliberately running toward the space Lockett was leading in to.

Clear evidence in my mind of a corrupt AFL doing 'whatever it takes' to ensure Sydney's success. When Plugger played for Sydney he was never reported.

ripplug66
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:
Saints43 wrote:

Reckon Barassi was coaching Sydney at the time and Craven was deliberately running toward the space Lockett was leading in to.

Clear evidence in my mind of a corrupt AFL doing 'whatever it takes' to ensure Sydney's success. When Plugger played for Sydney he was never reported.

You couldn't actually be serious. I loved Plugger and complained at the time but he deserved to go. By the way how does Caven running into space and Lockett getting weeks help Sydney? I'm really confused with that.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:This is the single game where I tell people that Lockett is far better player than Dunstall, Carey and Ablett. Plugger single handedly pulled us across the line. I have this game saved to my Foxtel hard drive and watch it once or twice a year. What a game. What a player plugger was. Best player I have ever seen.
To quote Frank Abagnale Junior, "I concur!"

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

all of those players won games off their own boot regularly

It's what champions do

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:all of those players won games off their own boot regularly

It's what champions do
There has been plenty of champions. There has only been one Plugger. He sits in a different category in my humble opinion.

8856brother wrote:

It's what champions do
There has been plenty of champions. There has only been one Plugger. He sits in a different category in my humble opinion.

Yep.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

It's what champions do

Yep.
Yeps.

Club Player

stevie wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

It's what champions do

Yep.
Yeps.
And a yep from me

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

6621104 wrote:
stevie wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
8856brother wrote:

It's what champions do

Yep.
Yeps.
And a yep from me
Hey Doc, when are you going to comment on E'dope findings?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

An insane victory. Lockett just won the whole thing off his own boot.

Incredibly, we're 23 points down with 2:50 to play! Keogh kicks an absolute ripper to bring us within 17 points...then Locket goes beserk.

The commentators are congratulating Sydney on their win at this point...
Back page of the Herald Sun the next day:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.