Hawthorn moving training base to dingley

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hawthorn moving training base to dingley

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Im pretty sure my argument was also well reasoned but I do find people who try to say otherwise without logical reason are struggling. I gave my reasons. pity you either didn't read them or couldn't understand. Your reasons lack logic but that's ok. By the way most of the stuff you have written is a waste of words. EPA? What the? Just one simple question. How could the Saints even slightly stop the Hawks moving? Couldn't be a more simple question.
- The site has problems. Being land fill, there's an issue with excess methane leaking from the site effecting the local community and it requires constant EPA monitoring.
- Hawthorn's move is not a done deal. Their purchase of the land is conditional and they are going through an 18 month due dilligence and can walk away at anytime without an issue.
- There's many ways to make them reconsider the move. In basic terms it's about applying pressure and in light of the academy & zoning discussion which is going on, the club could be very public in their displeasure.
A "Big club tries to squeeze out little club" type line would get fair-minded people upset. Bad press works. But as I suggested earlier if the AFL stepped in and advised them that any future zoning decisions wouldn't be effected by the location of their new facility (i.e just bc they move to Dingley will not give them a claim to the surrounding area) then my guess is they may back off. Point is, we are not without options to apply pressure and hopefully get them to reconsider.

Those first 2 points could stop the move. The saints as a club cant and wont because I doubt they really even care. The supporters have even less influence. Its 10 kilometres away. Its no where near us. You are living in genuine fantasyland if you think it will effect us even slightly. If we do have zones or academies it wont be a free for all. Not a hope. It will managed that every club gets about the same amount of people in an area. Imagine if it was just near where you train. What would the Tigers, Dees and pies go. Fight over about 50 people? No the AFL will give them a zome that may have nothing to do with where they train. Matter of fact it wont have anything to do with where they train. Your hysterical rants lack common sense on this issue. 10 kilometres away. Not even slightly close.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:St Jay and plugger please stop requoting each other. Get a room and sort out your pissing contest there please. Ta

Its on topic unlike your post.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

Those first 2 points could stop the move. The saints as a club cant and wont because I doubt they really even care. The supporters have even less influence. Its 10 kilometres away. Its no where near us. You are living in genuine fantasyland if you think it will effect us even slightly. If we do have zones or academies it wont be a free for all. Not a hope. It will managed that every club gets about the same amount of people in an area. Imagine if it was just near where you train. What would the Tigers, Dees and pies go. Fight over about 50 people? No the AFL will give them a zome that may have nothing to do with where they train. Matter of fact it wont have anything to do with where they train. Your hysterical rants lack common sense on this issue. 10 kilometres away. Not even slightly close.
Clearly you don't understand what I am saying about zones.
- Zones will be large and will consist of inner and outer Melb with clubs vying for interstate zones as well. e.g Tasmania, N.T
- For innercity clubs, the local component is less relevant or appropriate so they will likely carve up metro & outer Melb, regional Vic & interstate. (gave the earlier example of Eastern to S.E Melb but as I also said, who cares? Their problem to work through not ours).

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

- Zones will be large and will consist of inner and outer Melb with clubs vying for interstate zones as well. e.g Tasmania, N.T
- For innercity clubs, the local component is less relevant or appropriate so they will likely carve up metro & outer Melb, regional Vic & interstate. (gave the earlier example of Eastern to S.E Melb but as I also said, who cares? Their problem to work through not ours).

I understand that exactly and that's why it doesn't matter at all who trains where.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I understand that exactly and that's why it doesn't matter at all who trains where.

Difference is we do have a strong local base & natural catchment that we shouldn't allow to be compromised.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Difference is we do have a strong local base & natural catchment that we shouldn't allow to be compromised.

And who says it will and who says that would be our area anyway? The AFL will decide the zones and it will not necessarily be where you train otherwise as I have pointed out many times what happens to Melb, Pies and Tigers? Not sure it will ever happen anyway. Seems to contradict the draft.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

And who says it will and who says that would be our area anyway? The AFL will decide the zones and it will not necessarily be where you train otherwise as I have pointed out many times what happens to Melb, Pies and Tigers? Not sure it will ever happen anyway. Seems to contradict the draft.
You need to read the articles that have been cited that discuss the current thinking coming out of the AFL around the make up of zones.
No point continuing to go over the same ground unless you are aware of how they are framing the issue.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
You need to read the articles that have been cited that discuss the current thinking coming out of the AFL around the make up of zones.
No point continuing to go over the same ground unless you are aware of how they are framing the issue.

Read the one put up on here. I still don't understand your thinking.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

If that's the case I can't help you - Caroline Wilson's article clearly talks about local communities.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

If that's the case I can't help you - Caroline Wilson's article clearly talks about local communities.

Yep and still get your point.

ace
Saintsational Legend

The land where they plan to make there home is a former rubbish dump.
Seems like the dump is about to reopen.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

How is the Bombers move out to the Airport working out? So far so sh*t.
I still think the Tiges and Pies hold a competitive advantage when it comes to their training bases.

amusingname
Club Player

IanRush wrote:Speaking of ‘interesting’ South-East suburban land acquisitions, this is worth a look from our dear friends at Essendon.

Strong industry rumours that the sale of Dairy Bell was not warranted, and that the sale was "forced" on them. Hmmm

http://www.smh.com.au/business/capital- ... 30uwc.html

The owners of ice-cream institution Dairy Bell have offloaded the company's high-profile Malvern East headquarters, after announcing earlier this month they would close the 45-year-old business.

The off-market sale gives control of the 3000-square-metre site to burgeoning local developer Little Projects, backed by former Toll Holdings chief Paul Little, whose estimated net worth is about $715 million and growing.

Opposite the East Malvern railway station and Waverley Oval, Dairy Bell's white manufacturing plant and office is expected to be replaced with a medium-density apartment block with lower-level shops

Since retiring from the supply chain empire in 2012 after 26 years, Mr Little has focused on other ventures, including the successful development business run by another former Toll executive, Michael Fox.

He has also taken up the high-profile chairman role with the Essendon Football Club

http://www.smh.com.au/small-business/ma ... 34h17.html

Aussie icon Dairy Bell will close its factory doors by the end of the month, much to the disappointment of ice-cream lovers and small food retailers alike.

But how could a business fold after 45 years in the game? Were aggressive supermarket wars really to blame or was an outdated brand the cause?

Dairy Bell will close its two factories, one in Melbourne and another in Sydney, on February 27 and will shut the doors on its 11 retail sites in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia when stocks run out.

The Melbourne factory site in East Malvern has been sold to business giant Paul Little's development company Little Projects. Dairy Bell management is looking for a buyer for the other factory in Camperdown, New South Wales

Why is this interesting? Waverley Oval is home of (my old club) De La Salle in the Ammos. Are you trying to suggest Paul Little is going to take over De La and make them 'don the sash'?

stjay
Club Player

amusingname wrote:
IanRush wrote:Speaking of ‘interesting’ South-East suburban land acquisitions, this is worth a look from our dear friends at Essendon.

Strong industry rumours that the sale of Dairy Bell was not warranted, and that the sale was "forced" on them. Hmmm

The owners of ice-cream institution Dairy Bell have offloaded the company's high-profile Malvern East headquarters, after announcing earlier this month they would close the 45-year-old business.

The off-market sale gives control of the 3000-square-metre site to burgeoning local developer Little Projects, backed by former Toll Holdings chief Paul Little, whose estimated net worth is about $715 million and growing.

Opposite the East Malvern railway station and Waverley Oval, Dairy Bell's white manufacturing plant and office is expected to be replaced with a medium-density apartment block with lower-level shops

Since retiring from the supply chain empire in 2012 after 26 years, Mr Little has focused on other ventures, including the successful development business run by another former Toll executive, Michael Fox.

He has also taken up the high-profile chairman role with the Essendon Football Club

Aussie icon Dairy Bell will close its factory doors by the end of the month, much to the disappointment of ice-cream lovers and small food retailers alike.

But how could a business fold after 45 years in the game? Were aggressive supermarket wars really to blame or was an outdated brand the cause?

Dairy Bell will close its two factories, one in Melbourne and another in Sydney, on February 27 and will shut the doors on its 11 retail sites in Victoria, New South Wales and South Australia when stocks run out.

The Melbourne factory site in East Malvern has been sold to business giant Paul Little's development company Little Projects. Dairy Bell management is looking for a buyer for the other factory in Camperdown, New South Wales

Why is this interesting? Waverley Oval is home of (my old club) De La Salle in the Ammos. Are you trying to suggest Paul Little is going to take over De La and make them 'don the sash'?
I didn't understand that either. Could you plz explain the subtext to that post Rushie?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:

He is just putting crap into another thread. It has nothing to do with anything.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Yes, no need to explain it. It was just irrelevant rubbish.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
matrix
Saintsational Legend

if so shouldnt you be deleting the post then?

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

That was just my personal opinion.

I'll wait for someone to report it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:if so shouldnt you be deleting the post then?

He would have to delete 40k of mine if that was the case.

stjay
Club Player

Argh Ermmmm!
Vic club academies no chance?
Ok then.

I hate to say it but.......
Called it 8 months ago but then again what do I know right?
Just irrational and illogical nonsense to some.

Btw how is it we missed out on the Mornington Peninsula to MFC?
Screwed over again.

ripplug66
Club Player

stjay wrote:Argh Ermmmm!
Vic club academies no chance?
Ok then.

I hate to say it but.......
Called it 8 months ago but then again what do I know right?
Just irrational and illogical nonsense to some.

Btw how is it we missed out on the Mornington Peninsula to MFC?
Screwed over again.

You do realise what players you get from these academies? Probably about one every 5 years. If you are going to claim being right then yyou need to make sure you are right.

stjay
Club Player

Well you were flat out wrong so my call is looking pretty good comparatively.

ripplug66
Club Player

stjay wrote:Well you were flat out wrong so my call is looking pretty good comparatively.

Firstly I couldn't give a stuff if I was wrong but if I was right I would make sure, before I tell everyone, that I was actually right. Academies for a small minority is hardly academies for every player in Victoria. Matter of fact I don't think you are right and I am unsure I'm wrong. We may be looking at about 5% of footballers if not less. If you said that in the first place I may have said we could have those academies, I may not but its a completely different discussion.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just cant do it can you?

Oh, and you know I am referring to you... But I'll allow you to divert with that complaint.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I havent been following this conversation but i reckon academies are a great idea.
Lets say there are 24 million people and 18 clubs (this could be gerrymandered every 5 years).

The footy state clubs get a zone of 1m each - so that is 14 million people covered.
The non-footy state (nsw+qld) clubs get zones of 2m each - so that is 8m people covered.