Jaeger O'Meara

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Playon
Club Player

Re: Jaeger O'Meara

WinnersOnly wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/n ... ubs-omeara

Seems he is not interested - at this stage!
Well what else would he say? :)

These days who can tell, regardless I think we'll make a play for him. Can we compare him to Buddy, Ablett or Luke Parker? Who knows, does he even know himself?

Anyone else remember Dean Rice having a career ending knee injury at the Saints?

A lot of water to flow under the bridge yet

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Playon wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote:http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/n ... ubs-omeara

Seems he is not interested - at this stage!
Well what else would he say? :)

These days who can tell, regardless I think we'll make a play for him. Can we compare him to Buddy, Ablett or Luke Parker? Who knows, does he even know himself?

Anyone else remember Dean Rice having a career ending knee injury at the Saints?

A lot of water to flow under the bridge yet
Yep, we'll see.

Reckon he'll be at a Melbourne based club in 2017.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

If he comes back ok and has another great year boy he'd cost us a lot. I reckon it would take our first round pick and then at least a second rounder but maybe even another first rounder. Then we'd have to stump up a wage of at least half a million perhaps a higher depending on the length of contract. We've gone in big on Carlisle and Freeman (some of which may be frontloaded but we don't know yet) and have to watch our salary cap when our young stars start to shine.

I see Carlton as being the prime contender as there is a big gap in their midfield for him to walk straight into and they will have the cap space and prime picks to swap. Essendon too. The amount of money they can lure them with is almost impossible for these young kids to ignore. Its sets them up for life when all it takes is one injury to end your career.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:If he comes back ok and has another great year boy he'd cost us a lot. I reckon it would take our first round pick and then at least a second rounder but maybe even another first rounder. Then we'd have to stump up a wage of at least half a million perhaps a higher depending on the length of contract. We've gone in big on Carlisle and Freeman (some of which may be frontloaded but we don't know yet) and have to watch our salary cap when our young stars start to shine.

I see Carlton as being the prime contender as there is a big gap in their midfield for him to walk straight into and they will have the cap space and prime picks to swap. Essendon too. The amount of money they can lure them with is almost impossible for these young kids to ignore. Its sets them up for life when all it takes is one injury to end your career.

Half a million? Surely you mean a million. Half a million would get his legs.

older saint
SS Life Member

Assuming his body is ok, he is the A grader we are missing. He has the X Factor we haven't had since Winmar and as Cyril, and Steve J before that you need that type of player to win a Premiership .

Surely with Roo, Fisher, Dempster, Monty coming off the books in the next couple years funds will be available moving forward .

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Of all the players it is suggested we take, he is the one who stands out to me. I really hope he becomes a Saint.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

If he is fit he will cost two first rounders and a million bucks.
Would love to have him at the saints but the cost is too great.
Throw the money at free agent Sidebottom and keep the draft picks.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'd also suggest that

McCatin, Billings, Goddard, Dunstan, Lonie, McKenzie, Gresham either will have or will be getting a fair pay increase. That's not counting the inflated prices we paid for Carslise and Freeman to get them. We cannot blow the cap on one big fish.

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:I'd also suggest that

McCatin, Billings, Goddard, Dunstan, Lonie, McKenzie, Gresham either will have or will be getting a fair pay increase. That's not counting the inflated prices we paid for Carslise and Freeman to get them. We cannot blow the cap on one big fish.

But we lose Roo, Joey, Fisher and Dempster in the next 2 years. Money wont be an issue for a fair while.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

If he can get on the park a bit this year and his knee is ok....

He is worth a million per. Long term deal too.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'd also suggest that

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

older saint wrote:Assuming his body is ok, he is the A grader we are missing. He has the X Factor we haven't had since Winmar and as Cyril, and Steve J before that you need that type of player to win a Premiership .

Surely with Roo, Fisher, Dempster, Monty coming off the books in the next couple years funds will be available moving forward .
+ 1

SuperDuper
Club Player

With Carlisle suspension this year we will get to save significant more salary cap than expected.. Allowing a bigger war chet than we budgeted... May help with getting a big fish next year

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:If he can get on the park a bit this year and his knee is ok....

A million a season for a kid who at the end of the next season would only have 60 games under his belt (and coming off major knee surgery)? At the moment he's mainly potential albeit extremely promising potential. You don't pay a million for potential. Dangerfield is possibly on a million but he's a here and now superstar who can drag cats into the top four. Some players don't come on after a good start to their AFL career.

I know Boyd went for about that but he was a rare big guys that Dogs were insanely desperate for and they bet the farm to prise him out of GWS. And the jury is very much out on that deal - they have a big chunk of their salary cap wrapped up in that guy so if he doesn't work its a huge drain. We don't need that sort of salary inequity at our club. The best clubs sacrifice for each other and ultimate glory on and off the pitch. I can't see them doing a million dollar deal for a 22 y.o. midfielder with dodgy knees when 8 out of the top 10 picks in the draft are usually onballers. You'd start at half a million (CRipps will be on that in his 4th and 5th seasons they are reporting) and then see what it takes to get him to your club maybe going upto $700,000 particularly if you can offer a long term deal. Yes you have to pay a bit of overs but you need somewhere to go salary wise with these young players if they go on to be superstars.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

You can find this subject on nearly every Melbourne-based club's fansite. Hope springs eternal. Listening to player managers speculate a few weeks ago they had two clubs as frontrunners. We were not in the picture.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
bigred wrote:If he can get on the park a bit this year and his knee is ok....

A million a season for a kid who at the end of the next season would only have 60 games under his belt (and coming off major knee surgery)? At the moment he's mainly potential albeit extremely promising potential. You don't pay a million for potential. Dangerfield is possibly on a million but he's a here and now superstar who can drag cats into the top four. Some players don't come on after a good start to their AFL career.

I know Boyd went for about that but he was a rare big guys that Dogs were insanely desperate for and they bet the farm to prise him out of GWS. And the jury is very much out on that deal - they have a big chunk of their salary cap wrapped up in that guy so if he doesn't work its a huge drain. We don't need that sort of salary inequity at our club. The best clubs sacrifice for each other and ultimate glory on and off the pitch. I can't see them doing a million dollar deal for a 22 y.o. midfielder with dodgy knees when 8 out of the top 10 picks in the draft are usually onballers. You'd start at half a million (CRipps will be on that in his 4th and 5th seasons they are reporting) and then see what it takes to get him to your club maybe going upto $700,000 particularly if you can offer a long term deal. Yes you have to pay a bit of overs but you need somewhere to go salary wise with these young players if they go on to be superstars.

If you want him you don't embarrass yourself by offering half a million. He is a 700K player if he stays, he is nearly a million dollar player if he goes. Obviously it changes if he doesn't play well or is still injured but figures are based on his full potential. The clubs that sacrifice for each other are sides that have won a flag. Other sides unfortunately cant do that because what are you sacrificing for?

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Hemi Baxter wrote:You can find this subject on nearly every Melbourne-based club's fansite. Hope springs eternal. Listening to player managers speculate a few weeks ago they had two clubs as frontrunners. We were not in the picture.
Can guarantee you there is no club that's a front runner, and although he loves Rocket Eade as a coach, 90% chance he'll be at a Melbourne club next season.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:If we can get him with our first pick this year then yes. But if we have to give up 2 first round picks then forget it. I would rather just keep going to the Draft and picking the best 18 year old. Then we can target a FA which doesn't cost draft picks.
I tend to agree and we dont have a 2nd round pick as it has already gone for Freeman.
So our chances of getting J'OM are very slim. GC will probably want our first round pick + Armo.

Isnt it supposed to be a good draft this year? If we use another top 8 pick on a kid weve done well.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

Stephen Theodore wrote:
Hemi Baxter wrote:You can find this subject on nearly every Melbourne-based club's fansite. Hope springs eternal. Listening to player managers speculate a few weeks ago they had two clubs as frontrunners. We were not in the picture.
Can guarantee you there is no club that's a front runner, and although he loves Rocket Eade as a coach, 90% chance he'll be at a Melbourne club next season.
As my mail is exactly opposed to that I'd make three points in support.

1. His management have been informally sounded out by a niumber of clubs. That comment can be applied to almost every promising player from Victoria on the GC and GWS lists. They are returning to Vic in greater than expected numbers and it is the duty of clubs to know by way of a range of differing strategies just who is open to returning and why. Clubs have been and are working hard and competing with one another over the long term to obtain an advantage. Treloar to Collingwood is an outstanding example of the fruit of such long- term campaigning.
2. Just as a matter of common sense any player thinking of leaving will also thinking of a destination.
3. We have been fairly successful at encouraging players to move, assisted by room in our cap, a committed playing style and good politics but we are not in the race here at the moment as the frontrunners are more than a year into their campaigns for O'Meara, more highly placed and successful than us and offering the sun amd the moon.

Playon
Club Player

Earlier article December 9, 2015

Suns fighting losing battle to keep Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia, says Scoop

Gold Coast is fighting a losing battle to keep Jaeger O'Meara and Dion Prestia in Queensland, says Sam McClure.

Scoop revealed on Sports Today the Suns had almost accepted the fact O'Meara would be moving to Melbourne at the end of next season.

He said the bulk of the club's attention would be going towards keeping Prestia.

Both players are out of contract at the end of next year.

"If they were to lose both, that would be four A-Graders going in just two years," Scoop said on 3AW.

Charlie Dixon (Port Adelaide) and Harley Bennell (Fremantle) both left the Suns during the trade period

http://www.3aw.com.au/news/gold-coast-f ... liq73.html
Last edited by Playon on Sun 07 Feb 2016 3:42pm, edited 2 times in total.

Playon
Club Player

“I wouldn’t be surprised at all if a club offered him a nine or 10 year deal,” Pelchen told Fox Footy.

“800,000 dollars per year on average for this long sounds excessive for someone who has played less than 50 games. But the risk is worth taking with Jaeger because he really is the ultimate all-round package on and off the field.

“It will come down to which club suits Jaeger best. Every club will want him.”

“Does he want to work with a club on the way up? Knowing what I know about him, he has never spoken down about the Suns and he would want to be part of building something,” he said.

“He ticks all the boxes and is a quality young man. Clubs such as Melbourne, St Kilda and to a lesser extent Carlton will appeal to him.”

“He is better than a first-round draft selection,” he said.

“The uncertainty of the draft means you will probably need at least two first rounders for the Suns to even contemplate a trade.”

Only half of the article, read the rest at
http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/jaeger- ... 26673c492e

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think we should be looking at Prestia as plan A and the draft as plan B.

If it is a strong draft and we have a top 8 pick - why not use it?

If you get a good player in the draft you pay unders and make sure the player wants to stay at your club.

The way the system is set up we can use draft picks in the draft and then get a FA for free.

I dont want to get sucked into a bidding war over JOM that we cant win and where we get used by his mgt to up his price. It merely wastes time and resources.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I don't think he'd come to St Kilda. More likely Collingwood

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
ripplug66
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think we should be looking at Prestia as plan A and the draft as plan B.

If you get a good player in the draft you pay unders and make sure the player wants to stay at your club.

The way the system is set up we can use draft picks in the draft and then get a FA for free.

I dont want to get sucked into a bidding war over JOM that we cant win and where we get used by his mgt to up his price. It merely wastes time and resources.

Does it really waste time? Its the off season so I'm sure we can find the time. Of course we should get involved if he has shown he is fit. As for the draft well you should never decide you must use your draft pick on a kid. If the trade suits you must take it. Yep you do get a player cheaper in the draft but you are probably only a 30% chance of getting an A grader in the draft. You are 100% in a trade if the player is already an A grader. There is nothing wrong with using FA as well. Moves your rebuild even further forward. If you are going to trade a first round pick though you need a player who has at least 8 years left in him.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think we should be looking at Prestia as plan A and the draft as plan B.

Does it really waste time? Its the off season so I'm sure we can find the time. Of course we should get involved if he has shown he is fit. As for the draft well you should never decide you must use your draft pick on a kid. If the trade suits you must take it. Yep you do get a player cheaper in the draft but you are probably only a 30% chance of getting an A grader in the draft. You are 100% in a trade if the player is already an A grader. There is nothing wrong with using FA as well. Moves your rebuild even further forward. If you are going to trade a first round pick though you need a player who has at least 8 years left in him.
Depends on what draft pick. If we have a top 5 pick the odds are much much better than 30%. More like 80%.

We could be potentially wasting time and resources in September/October.

I would take JOM in a heart-beat. But i reckon our chances of getting him are low. Carlton and Essendon will likely have picks ahead of us and we dont have a 2nd round pick.

I think you make a big mistake if you dont use your top 5 picks when you have them. You need to make them count. You dont get many top 5 picks overall.

If for some reason JOM really wants to play at the Saints then sure - go hard. But this doesnt seem likely unless there is some other factor involved. So far noone has provided any information suggesting this.

But do we really have any reputable information that he is particularly interested in the Saints? Sounds more like a Brianspeaking kind of story.