Jaeger O'Meara

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ripplug66
Club Player

Re: Jaeger O'Meara

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I think we should be looking at Prestia as plan A and the draft as plan B.

If it is a strong draft and we have a top 8 pick - why not use it?

If you get a good player in the draft you pay unders and make sure the player wants to stay at your club.

The way the system is set up we can use draft picks in the draft and then get a FA for free.

I dont want to get sucked into a bidding war over JOM that we cant win and where we get used by his mgt to up his price. It merely wastes time and resources.

Does it really waste time? Its the off season so I'm sure we can find the time. Of course we should get involved if he has shown he is fit. As for the draft well you should never decide you must use your draft pick on a kid. If the trade suits you must take it. Yep you do get a player cheaper in the draft but you are probably only a 30% chance of getting an A grader in the draft. You are 100% in a trade if the player is already an A grader. There is nothing wrong with using FA as well. Moves your rebuild even further forward. If you are going to trade a first round pick though you need a player who has at least 8 years left in him.
Depends on what draft pick. If we have a top 5 pick the odds are much much better than 30%. More like 80%.

We could be potentially wasting time and resources in September/October.

I would take JOM in a heart-beat. But i reckon our chances of getting him are low. Carlton and Essendon will likely have picks ahead of us and we dont have a 2nd round pick.

I think you make a big mistake if you dont use your top 5 picks when you have them. You need to make them count. You dont get many top 5 picks overall.

If for some reason JOM really wants to play at the Saints then sure - go hard. But this doesnt seem likely unless there is some other factor involved. So far noone has provided any information suggesting this.

But do we really have any reputable information that he is particularly interested in the Saints? Sounds more like a Brianspeaking kind of story.

Ive never done the stats on a top 5 pick but I still don't think it would better than 50/50. Carlisle took forever just season but it seems they may have still drafted very well plus got Freeman. I don't think time is an issue TBH. And I doubt he has any idea where he going yet. I would be very surprised if we were first choice but I don't think it hurts the club to try. And I don't really believe the stories on Websites because if the club knew he wanted to come to us the last thing a club insider would do is tell everyone.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Can't see Collingwood offering anything that GC would accept in a trade. They have no first round pick this year after using it for Treloar, so all they'd have is next years first, a pick I'd speculate being around the 8-12 mark, and/or a player.

I personally would be going very hard for Prestia. He might slip through the cracks to a degree with all the jostling for Jager, and I'd hate for a club like Melbourne to pick him up for under market value.

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

There isn't anything but the desire of posters here linking us to him. You won't have to look far to see convincing cases made out elsewhere though.

Playon
Club Player

Yeah we heard on other boards and sources that Carlisle is going to Carlton. the Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

But we heard Carlisle is coming to the saints at least 6 months before it was in the press

We also heard well in advance for other trades Stanley for 21, Ben McEvoy, Shane Savage, Billy Longer, Bruce, Delaney, Tim Membrey and others

We've also heard were a big chance for JOM, gotta love jaxons posts.

Sure there's a long way to go and it may not happen, but as far as desire, i'd back those rumours over any you've heard.

Whats your source?

The_Merchant
Club Player

Playon wrote:Yeah we heard on other boards and sources that Carlisle is going to Carlton. the Bulldogs and Hawthorn.

But we heard Carlisle is coming to the saints at least 6 months before it was in the press

We also heard well in advance for other trades Stanley for 21, Ben McEvoy, Shane Savage, Billy Longer, Bruce, Delaney, Tim Membrey and others

We've also heard were a big chance for JOM, gotta love jaxons posts.

Sure there's a long way to go and it may not happen, but as far as desire, i'd back those rumours over any you've heard.

Whats your source?
Carlisle had not decided where he wanted to go as late as grand final week, so not sure how club insiders knew 6 months prior. I would doubt that JOM is even close to knowing what club he wants to be at next year. Hopefully it is us, but we will have to wait until sept-oct before we know.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I dont think jaxons actually said we were a 'big chance'? I think he just said we were very keen. Fairly different?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Has there ever been a single solitary scoop on any player coming to the club via this forum? Certainly not while I've been on here...but we all live in hope. I only come here for the intellectual banter.

Playon
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:I dont think jaxons actually said we were a 'big chance'? I think he just said we were very keen. Fairly different?
Well to quote him he said "We are trying to close on something that will superseed all.....watch this space!"

So I guess you can take any way you want. But the point was that the posts weren't from wishful thinking from posters on this board, they were based on more than that.
I said at the time it is too far away to call

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Has there ever been a single solitary scoop on any player coming to the club via this forum? Certainly not while I've been on here...but we all live in hope. I only come here for the intellectual banter.
We got the scoop on McEvoy leaving and Savage coming if that counts... that came out the night before the trade happened

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

For what its worth..... (probably not much) rumour on BF is that a Saints Board Member has made some kind of offer to JOM regarding property development. Probably against the AFL rules but who knows!

jaxons
Club Player

We are all over this scenario but a lot to play out here, and the queue for his services is long.
We met with him last year and he is more than open to being a Saint, and we can certainly afford him.
One thing for certain, he is 100/1 on playing at Suns in 2017.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:We are all over this scenario but a lot to play out here, and the queue for his services is long.
We met with him last year and he is more than open to being a Saint, and we can certainly afford him.
Any idea what we'd have to pay him Jax? Personally I don't like too much inequity in salaries at a club.

jaxons
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
jaxons wrote:We are all over this scenario but a lot to play out here, and the queue for his services is long.
Any idea what we'd have to pay him Jax? Personally I don't like too much inequity in salaries at a club.

Yeah plenty of ideas, but players salaries don't belong on a fan forum dipped in speculation.
There are inequities of salaries at all AFL clubs and in the majority of workplaces, that's life.

Playon
Club Player

The simple answer is that the offer has to be better than anywhere else, what appeals to him :) and not just in financial terms.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Yeah plenty of ideas, but players salaries don't belong on a fan forum dipped in speculation.
There are inequities of salaries at all AFL clubs and in the majority of workplaces, that's life.
When Rooey retires a huge chunk is freed up. Not too far away.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Freed up to deal with a lot of pay increases.

Do you think
Billings, McCartin, Goddard, Dunstan, Gresham, Lonie, Bruce, Sinclair and others are going to stay on base level contracts?

They would already have allocated a lot of future free space to current players

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Jaxons, do you mean 100/1 to be playing at the Suns?
Or 100/1 to leave the Suns?

jaxons
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
100/1 to be at Suns next year

ripplug66
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

If he comes to Victoria then we are probably about 12 to one.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Forget about him

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Freed up to deal with a lot of pay increases.

Do you think
Billings, McCartin, Goddard, Dunstan, Gresham, Lonie, Bruce, Sinclair and others are going to stay on base level contracts?

I'm pleased to read this morning that the Saints have at last started up re-negotiations with Josh Bruce to renew his contract.

He's out of contract at end of this season, IMHO Bruceis very important to be locked away from other club's cheque books for a number of years

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Freed up to deal with a lot of pay increases.

Do you think

You do realise we are probably one million under the SC plus we probably aren't paying promotion out side the cap and 10 year players out side the cap. That probably gives us 1.6 million plus you can pay 105% if you want to if the previous year you were 95% and then there is the matter of 4 of our top 7 players paid players retiring in the next 1 to 3 years. The SC isn't even a slight issue even we did pay a player a million dollars. Then there are rumours, probably more than rumours, that front ended some players pay.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am all for JOM. I am just very wary of player managers using us as the patsy to up his price.

jaxons
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

If he comes to Victoria then we are probably about 12 to one.

Can i have a piece of the 12/1 on offer?

ripplug66
Club Player

jaxons wrote:

Can i have a piece of the 12/1 on offer?

Yep gladly. Every club would have spoken to him. Every club would think they are a chance. None of us know which club he will pick.