Team v dogs

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Team v dogs

Rd2 Teams released:
StKv WB
P.McCartin , J.Sinclair in for Templeton, Acres
WB unchanged

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Team v dogs

kosifantutti wrote:Rd2 Teams released:
StKv WB
P.McCartin , J.Sinclair in for Templeton, Acres
WB unchanged
Acres is pretty unlucky -they must have committed to play Gresham for at least two!

One year will be our year
Sobraz
SS Life Member

While I am a Dunstan fan and think he'll be a long term star, I feel Acres provided more last weekend, especially in the 3rd where we really got on top.

Both are integral to our future in any case, just think Dunstan a little lucky at Acres' expense.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Acres must be injured, I thought he was one of our best

loris
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Acres must be injured, I thought he was one of our best
Yes I think he might be 'sore' - as Richo in one of his interviews this week mentioned being pleased with Acres game.

So he's either sore, injured or has been a naughty boy this week & being disciplined???????

More likely it's just match - ups that has caused his lack of selection :? :? :?

older saint
SS Life Member

I smell a late change. Acres played probably his best game for the club last week and barring a discipline issue it makes no sense.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Acres out, surely they're taking the piss!!!

Dunstan should've been dropped first

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Acres omitted is a surprise, if he was sore would you still have him in emergencies? not surprised about templeton.

Happy with Paddy, lacked another target up forward will Roo up the ground

The_President
Club Player

Acres is so stiff!!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Ok so maybe they feel Acres will struggle to backup with a six day break from a tough road trip against super-fast dogs. Not happy but I'll accept it. But then what about Gresham? He was way off the pace last week, just 9 touches including a few in junk time and couldn't rotate through the midfield when our other mids were exhausted. Minchington has a good tank on him, in superb form after 44 touches 4 goals, had great form from the end of last year, can play small forward and rotate through the midfield and has done his dues.

I think its a bad error. Gresham has become the coaches pet right off the bat. He'll be great but needs to develop a tank and get used to the speed of professional footy. I think we'll rue his selection like we did last week and run out of gas.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Ok so maybe they feel Acres will struggle to backup with a six day break from a tough road trip against super-fast dogs. Not happy but I'll accept it. But then what about Gresham? He was way off the pace last week, just 9 touches including a few in junk time and couldn't rotate through the midfield when our other mids were exhausted. Minchington has a good tank on him, in superb form after 44 touches 4 goals, had great form from the end of last year, can play small forward and rotate through the midfield and has done his dues.

I think its a bad error. Gresham has become the coaches pet right off the bat. He'll be great but needs to develop a tank and get used to the speed of professional footy. I think we'll rue his selection like we did last week and run out of gas.
Not sure I'd call it a "bad error", Bluthy. The young fella might well deserve a chance to have a second game back closer to home. Based on reports of the PA supporters remaining wholly feral, and the fact it was the kid's 1st game, he may have actually done enough to warrant another go in the minds of those who decide these things.

The Acres thing is a little perplexing though - "soreness", I hope.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Have to feel for meatball. Cant get an opportunity to play mid at AFL level. Maybe he isnt good enough but surely hes earnt an opportunity to show it one way or another?

loris
Saintsational Legend

Just went back & looked at the Richo's video that is e-mailed to members post the game on Sunday. There are only 4 players he singles out by name to give a positive bent to his message. They are: Hickey, Acres, Ross & Armo.

I'm sure he said more about Acres in his AFL Coaches press interview.

so Acres is an interesting omission.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:
Not sure I'd call it a "bad error", Bluthy. The young fella might well deserve a chance to have a second game back closer to home. Based on reports of the PA supporters remaining wholly feral, and the fact it was the kid's 1st game, he may have actually done enough to warrant another go in the minds of those who decide these things.

The Acres thing is a little perplexing though - "soreness", I hope.
o

I didn't think Gresham should have been played last week Thommo. He had only played half a game and then you throw him into his first senior AFL game away against a possible top four team? We were basically a rotation down because of him. And now against the super fast dogs when he only has 6 days to recover? its borderline crazy.

I have no doubt Richo pushed hard for the Carlisle trade due to his connection with Jake at Bombers. As part of selling that trade he may have pushed for Jade as bargain. Thats fine - our recruiting has been good with Richo so whatever his level of influence its seems to be working well. But you couldn't wipe the grin off Richo's face when he told Jade he was playing AFL. I think Jade is his little protege. Again that may work out long term but I think its comprising our ability to run with the dogs this week and we may well get a toweling.
Last edited by Bluthy on Thu 31 Mar 2016 7:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to feel for meatball. Cant get an opportunity to play mid at AFL level. Maybe he isnt good enough but surely hes earnt an opportunity to show it one way or another?
Con, who is 'meatball'? :? :?

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

I am guessing Minchington

evo
Club Player

loris wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Have to feel for meatball. Cant get an opportunity to play mid at AFL level. Maybe he isnt good enough but surely hes earnt an opportunity to show it one way or another?
Con, who is 'meatball'? :? :?
Minchington.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm disappointed with both omissions to be honest.Paddy probably needs to come in to give the bigger blokes some assistance. I expect a FAR better game from Roo this week being the occasion and the fact that he's had his one off game for the year. Not sure Paddy is needed as much others think though. We need the speed and the grunt and there is a big ? mark over Paddy's second and third efforts once the ball hits the ground.

The_President
Club Player

Moods wrote:I'm disappointed with both omissions to be honest.Paddy probably needs to come in to give the bigger blokes some assistance. I expect a FAR better game from Roo this week being the occasion and the fact that he's had his one off game for the year. Not sure Paddy is needed as much others think though. We need the speed and the grunt and there is a big ? mark over Paddy's second and third efforts once the ball hits the ground.

A lot of games will go into Paddy and Goddard this year to fast track them. That's the plan

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Acres out WTF?!

Tony where are you? What's the oil?

#1 Ryder fan
dragit
Saintsational Legend

If Acres is genuinely dropped then it is a stupid move... Could just damage his confidence after playing his best game for the club... He did more than a few others in only his 11th game.

The guy needs game time.

Billings, Montagna, Steven, Sinclair, Lonie, Gresham makes us pretty damn short too.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I know many will disagree, but I think Acres needs to show a bit more urgency at the contest. At times he's flat footed and allows opponents to run past him. His kicking is also quite poor and needs to improve. I'm not convinced, in the same way I wasn't convince about Seb Ross, but Ross is now showing he was worth persisting with. I hop Acres will make the same improvement...hopefully a little quicker than Seb.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Minchington... fkn seriously what does he need to do!

His performance last year in Sandringham's losing prelim side was nothing short of astounding. One of the best halves of clearance work you will ever see...at any level. He was that good.

37 touches, seven tackles and 2 goals. Along with something stupid like 14 clearances.

Now I reckon Sinclair is a beauty and really should be in the best 22, but Minch has much better scope in the middle as second string. No question.

If Minch gets similar numbers AGAIN against Port Melbourne this week then he must surely be breaking that door down. I honestly think he will cement a spot in the seniors this year.

I was really looking forward to him getting a go...
Last edited by bigred on Thu 31 Mar 2016 10:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint-stu
Club Player

cwrcyn wrote:I know many will disagree, but I think Acres needs to show a bit more urgency at the contest. At times he's flat footed and allows opponents to run past him. His kicking is also quite poor and needs to improve. I'm not convinced, in the same way I wasn't convince about Seb Ross, but Ross is now showing he was worth persisting with. I hop Acres will make the same improvement...hopefully a little quicker than Seb.
Totally agree. I'm very hopeful, but right now his kicking isn't good enough. He looks much better when he sticks to winning the ball and handballing it out.

1ac46a38
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SInclair gets 27 possessions and 3 goals - selection committee calls it 'nearly 40' and '4 goals'.

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2016-03- ... -round-two

Minch actually gets 44 and 3 goals. No mention.

I want SInclair's PR agent down there. Doing a great sales job.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Fri 01 Apr 2016 2:00pm, edited 1 time in total.