Shot clock media BS masks umpire corruption!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Shot clock media BS masks umpire corruption!

Dear Media Hacks,

The imbeciles in the media are still banging on about the North player who, totally within the rules, wound the shot clock down at the end of the game. You don't read about too many angry Saints fans about it. We would've done the same in the same situation you fools!

Yet none of these fools have mentioned how out of whack the frees were in general play

Winding down the shot clock had zero impact on the result. Umpire corruption had PLENTY to do with it and as Saints fans we are NOT just talking about the last dodgy free to them but about half a dozen they got of which similar incidents to us we got none

In case you media hacks aren't aware, at one stage North had SEVEN frees in a row!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Shot clock media BS masks umpire corruption!

It's probably wrong to call them media hacks, it's more like an AFL sponsored propaganda campaign.

So many subjects have become taboo, the media refuses to discuss, they hide the facts and the launch into justification...

Leigh Mathews on Sunday almost automatically launched into justification mode for all of the dodgy frees....the media collectively refer to Essendon as unfairly treated...the stadium deal....the fixed draw....

There is no freedom of the press in the AFL, North Korea or Israel..

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I agree. A North Melbourne supporting mate tried to sweep that Goldstein free kick under the rug by talking about the darn shot clock instead. I couldn't care less about the bloody shot clock. Our fate was sealed by the time Mason Wood got his free kick and was lining up for goal. Talk about pulling the wool over the eyes of the supporters!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

P.S. All the hack journalists are too timid to call out inconsistent umpiring. It's as though the AFL are protecting them from any public scrutiny whatsoever.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

After the free was paid, I'm afraid I turned off the TV, so I didn't see what happened. A question for those who saw, did the shot clock continue to run after the siren sounded? How long after the siren sounded did he take his kick? It should have been within 8 seconds, otherwise it was play on and end of game.

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Yeah perfectionist - he took his shot as soon as the siren sounded.
I reckon you guys are nuts bleating on about umpire corruption! Listen to yourselves! You really think there's a conspiracy amongst the umpires to stop the Saints from winning a game? They're just trying to do their jobs ffs. Every fan whose team loses has got a story about the free that wasn't paid. Get real!

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Yeah perfectionist - he took his shot as soon as the siren sounded.
I reckon you guys are nuts bleating on about umpire corruption! Listen to yourselves! You really think there's a conspiracy amongst the umpires to stop the Saints from winning a game? They're just trying to do their jobs ffs. Every fan whose team loses has got a story about the free that wasn't paid. Get real!
I agree. Watch the replay. We should have won the game but it should never have been left so late that an umpires decision could make the difference. We made a lot more mistakes than the umpires.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

freely wrote:Yeah perfectionist - he took his shot as soon as the siren sounded.
I never said there was a conspiracy. The bloody umps lack consistency. Why was Hickey not paid that free kick? That was absolute BS. The free kick to Goldstein was far too technical. They never pay those. The little prat didn't even think before making his decision. He blew his whistle out of instinct. A real blunder, which ultimately influenced the result of the game. A good umpire who does his/her job, doesn't do this.

Anyway, you sound awfully familiar with that comment. You're not plugger66 by any chance? Or perhaps you are invoking the AFL umpire sympathiser spirit of old Pluggs. Now doubt a certain windbag will criticise me for this, but I could care less.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
I never said there was a conspiracy. The bloody umps lack consistency. Why was Hickey not paid that free kick? That was absolute BS. The free kick to Goldstein was far too technical. They never pay those. The little prat didn't even think before making his decision. He blew his whistle out of instinct. A real blunder, which ultimately influenced the result of the game. A good umpire who does his/her job, doesn't do this.

Anyway, you sound awfully familiar with that comment. You're not plugger66 by any chance? Or perhaps you are invoking the AFL umpire sympathiser spirit of old Pluggs. Now doubt a certain windbag will criticise me for this, but I could care less.
On the footage I have seen of the Goldstein free kick Hickey isn't watching the ball and runs under it straight at Goldstein. Its a no brainer blocking attempt 50 metres out, on a slight angle, with minutes to go in a tied scoreline. It wasnt good.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

On the footage I have seen of the Goldstein free kick Hickey isn't watching the ball and runs under it straight at Goldstein. Its a no brainer blocking attempt 50 metres out, on a slight angle, with minutes to go in a tied scoreline. It wasnt good.
He wasn't watching the ball because he was about to get Goldstein's knee in the face, hence why he put his arm out to protect himself.

How do you explain Hickey's missed free kick before? You don't happen to be former umpire and current Philadelphia lawyer, Derek Humpty-Dumpty, by any chance?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

He wasn't watching the ball because he was about to get Goldstein's knee in the face, hence why he put his arm out to protect himself.

How do you explain Hickey's missed free kick before? You don't happen to be former umpire and current Philadelphia lawyer, Derek Humpty-Dumpty, by any chance?
He ran under the ball and blocked his run no matter who you think I might be. The ball then went to 2 North players. No need to get upset it just wasn't our day. The umpires aren't the only ones lacking consistency. We played a terrific last quarter. Please explain the first 3.
I take it your a journalist. Enough said.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Have the Umpires department made a comment on the free against Hickey?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:Have the Umpires department made a comment on the free against Hickey?
Yup, defended the call

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-05-10/ ... ent-robbed

Im more interested in the nahas htb, dalsanto walking over the line and ziebell driving into greshams legs. All those were way more obvious and all went against us.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Have the Umpires department made a comment on the free against Hickey?
Yup, defended the call

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2016-05-10/ ... ent-robbed

Im more interested in the nahas htb, dalsanto walking over the line and ziebell driving into greshams legs. All those were way more obvious and all went against us.
Worst thing ever done was to give umpires so much airtime, we need to go back to not having to
know thier names, put them back in white and just tell them to do the job their paid(overs) to do !!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
asiu
Saintsational Legend

... ziebell driving into greshams legs.
yea , that was a shocker

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

He ran under the ball and blocked his run no matter who you think I might be. The ball then went to 2 North players. No need to get upset it just wasn't our day. The umpires aren't the only ones lacking consistency. We played a terrific last quarter. Please explain the first 3.
Look, I agree we weren't good enough, particularly in the first half. Goldenstein's free kick was tiggy-touchwood malarkey. It was a howler of a call to make that late in the game. If he didn't call it, no one would have complained, not even North Melbourne fans. It has now opened up a new can of worms. They'll be scrutinising ruck duels for this same type of BS blocking call. It could potentially become a shambles. Hickey was interfered with before the Goldstein free kick, further up field around our HFF position. You can't not call that and then call something so technical further up field and expect the fans to simply accept it as being a normal part of the game. Even Richo was of that opinion. Are you sure you're even a Saints supporter?

Freebird
Club Player

CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

If you like to be politically correct like BS66 than watch the play approx 1-2 minute before Goldsteins free. Saints half forward flank on the boundary ball up and Goldstein with 2 hands just kept pushing hickey out of the contest..score at the time was 75/75 tied. Unfortunately, the action was happening in the bottom right hand corner of the screen because the camera was on Roo limping but the umps still ignored something way worse than that Goldstein free.
For the public to ignore the blatant bias by umps is hard enough to take but your own supporters/club accepting being f..ed up the rs continually is why we're copping it up the rs continually.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Sainternist wrote:

Look, I agree we weren't good enough, particularly in the first half. Goldenstein's free kick was tiggy-touchwood malarkey. It was a howler of a call to make that late in the game. If he didn't call it, no one would have complained, not even North Melbourne fans. It has now opened up a new can of worms. They'll be scrutinising ruck duels for this same type of BS blocking call. It could potentially become a shambles. Hickey was interfered with before the Goldstein free kick, further up field around our HFF position. You can't not call that and then call something so technical further up field and expect the fans to simply accept it as being a normal part of the game. Even Richo was of that opinion. Are you sure you're even a Saints supporter?
Did you feel better when Richo echoed your opinion. Umpire decisions are part of the game and the rules need to evolve with the game. If Hickey needs to bend those rules (warch his eyes for most of the match) to counter his opponent he will draw that kind of attention. Its like defenders who like to run down forwards from behind risk soft in the back frees. We are going great. Im sure Im a supporter and we definitely need to improve. Whinging and bitching about free kicks wont do that. Im sure Richo would agree.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Sam Newman says the call was ok..so it must be ok.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Now doubt a certain windbag will criticise me for this, but I could care less.
that'd be a capital W
... as in Windbag , thanks.

:)
ta in advance.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Sam Newman says the call was ok..so it must be ok.
Sam would probably know. He played 300 games as a ruckman. In his day it wasnt a free kick and was common practice.

resaintlee
Club Player

Free kicks paid, free kicks not paid, where on the ground they are paid, at what stage of the match are they paid and to which players are they paid or not paid. Which way is the wind blowing, frees into the wind, with the wind (doesn't really matter to us at Etihad) This is all far to open to interpretation. The umps were tough on that one, let that one go, unlucky not to get a free, umps couldn't see clearly, paid by the ump fifty metres away, like to buy real estate from that ump. An accidental elbow, ducked his head, ball slipped out of his hands, illegal disposal, slung 360, slung 720 free, no free, man on the mark, angle to goal, fifty metres. Mark or no mark, held long enough, knocked from his hands, as he took the mark, came in late. Frees were pretty even in the end, contentious free kick close to the siren.

If I was a big time bookie I wouldn't be bothered with cricket or tennis, I'd be trying to get myself an umpire.