'He’s a barometer for us'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

'He’s a barometer for us'

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-05-3 ... ter-for-us

He's an absolute jet. Who was the poster who was bagging him? NFI!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Re: 'He’s a barometer for us'

Hate the term "barometer".....because it suggests if he is playing well, so is the team. It's too easy to turn that around into "if the team's playing well, so is he" which suggests a downhill skier.

Milney was a good example, he was always a "barometer" when things were going well, but was so often criticised for not standing up when the side was doing it tough.

PS. This is in no way a slight on Jack, he's been magnificent over the last 18 months.

Saint wagga
Club Player

mmm I'm not so sure about this one. I would have thought that someone like Jack who has been consistently excellent over the last 1.5yrs is anything but a barometer, seeing as we as a team have been anything but consistently excellent over this same time period.

I would actually turn the microphone around on Dunstan himself and a group of players inlcuding Hickey, Roos, Newnes, Webster, Savage, Bruce, Billings to name a few who are far more a 'barometer' as to how we play on the weekend. The collective group of 3-5 year players is the closet thing in our side that i'd call 'a baromter', but thats just my opinion.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Top 10 mid in the the comp.

An out and out star.

Looking forward to the usual list of better midfielders containing names like Boak and Shuey retort.

Will be AA this year and win his 3rd TB.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Love Jackie Boy. Although his disposal can let him down. He may also be prone to getting tagged out of a game. North Melbourne did that successfully the other week. The way he waddles like a duck is a great quirk. Quack Steven!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I would actually turn the microphone around on Dunstan himself and a group of players inlcuding Hickey, Roos, Newnes, Webster, Savage, Bruce, Billings to name a few who are far more a 'barometer' as to how we play on the weekend.
I think we'd be going backwards as a club if we sign Roos up to a 3-5 year deal, he's getting a bit old now. Seb Ross is doing pretty well though.

But in all seriousness, I agree that Steven is likely far from a barometer, as he's consistently brilliant nearly every game no matter what his team-mates are up to. What is a barometer, if not a football cliché, anyways?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Hate the term "barometer".....because it suggests if he is playing well, so is the team. It's too easy to turn that around into "if the team's playing well, so is he" which suggests a downhill skier.

Milney was a good example, he was always a "barometer" when things were going well, but was so often criticised for not standing up when the side was doing it tough.

PS. This is in no way a slight on Jack, he's been magnificent over the last 18 months.
I do agree to an extent that barometer can mean downhill skier but it doesn't apply in Jacks case as he doesnt often benefit from others good play, except for maybe ruckman.
If anything, with Steven its a suggestion we are too dependent on him. If he is off his game, we are usually lacking a serious amount of meters gained during the course of the game meaning the team as a whole looks bad.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Yeah barometer is a cop out. If Jack Steven doesn't play well then we lose!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!