Jack Billings is he ok.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Billings is he ok.

tony74 wrote:
8856brother wrote:Hard to imagine him looking more uptight than he already does. Probably will playing for Sandy this week. Doesn't look to be enjoying his footy. Hope he is happy at the club.

Maybe he could be the non playing emergency this week. That should cheer him up.
No he's happy enough. Just lacking confidence and obviously not playing well . He'll bounce back, don't lose the faith.
When folks use happy "enough" I get concerned.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:Ok I will say it...

Why is it kids paying the price for smashings?

West Coast = Acres

Adelaide = Billings

Meanwhile some horrible seniors performances are tolerated
The seniors may be doing what is asked if them.

Dudes rarely get dropped for stuffing up. You get dropped cause yiure not doing what the coaches ask you to do.
Gilbert doing what's asked of him?

Genuine question.

It's not about Jack being dropped, so much as about consistency

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

He's happy. Not happy being out of the team though.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

tony74 wrote:He's happy. Not happy being out of the team though.
Sorry Tony74, JB should be polling at least one Brownlow vote every single game.
His opponents should respect him enough to lay soft tackles on him and give him a lot of room to move.
And he needs to gather 13 quality possies each quarter.
It's what some on here expect, not unrealistic :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who actually expects that?

Jack has been dropped, probably because he hasn't bought an effort it intensity expected by the the club and players of ate

The exact reason for this thread

It's why he hasn't performed at the level he is capable of this season... He's been a bit underwhelming

On a positive note

We all know he can perform at a much higher level

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

West Coast = Acres

Adelaide = Billings

Dudes rarely get dropped for stuffing up. You get dropped cause yiure not doing what the coaches ask you to do.

Genuine question.

Unless we know what it is exactly that the coach asks for from each player, it's hard to speculate.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:He's happy. Not happy being out of the team though.
He'll be back very soon I suspect

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

West Coast = Acres

Adelaide = Billings

Genuine question.

Unless we know what it is exactly that the coach asks for from each player, it's hard to speculate.
It's not hard to speculate at all...

When it comes to the forum favourites many just don't want to. This has been going on for years.
It's Gilbert that ppl are cluing onto atm... Over the last few seasons the same kind of thing happened with Schneider, Jones, Gwilt etc

It goes back as far as 2010 when I copped a huge spray from Inker Saint about how because McQualter wasn't being dropped it proved that his 5 possessions a game and the ground/space that he guarded was beyond questioning.

In Ross we Trust right

lintonstreet
Club Player

JB is only 20 and has shown enough that he will be very good for us.

Coming off a leg injury and just needs to go back and get some confidence racking up high numbers.

At this stage the one thing he needs to learn is the sort of pressure applied like Mav

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:

West Coast = Acres

Adelaide = Billings

Genuine question.

It's not hard to speculate at all...

When it comes to the forum favourites many just don't want to. This has been going on for years.
It's Gilbert that ppl are cluing onto atm... Over the last few seasons the same kind of thing happened with Schneider, Jones, Gwilt etc

It goes back as far as 2010 when I copped a huge spray from Inker Saint about how because McQualter wasn't being dropped it proved that his 5 possessions a game and the ground/space that he guarded was beyond questioning.

In Ross we Trust right

Very different circumstances though.

We now know exactly why Lyon picked the guys he did, and why he left out the others. Even at the time, it seemed clear what Lyon was doing. I didn't agree with it. But some did - and others were happy not to question it as they trusted that the coach knew what he was doing.

Fact is, he did know what he was doing. It's just that what he was doing was flawed.

The club now though is in a vastly different situation. They're aiming for a top 4 finish in 2 years time. Realistically, 2019.

That's 3 years away.

How young guys are managed and how a developing team is structured in the Building phase is very different to how a premiership team is put together and managed.

Right now, we have no idea what Richardson is trying to do on a weekly basis. We have no idea what he sees the 2018 starting team looking like.

His selections now, would all be focussed on that though. And as we don't know what the vision is, it's very hard to speculate what he's asking of certain players right now.

Gilbert could be there purely as an on-field coach for all we know. And he might be doing it really well for all we know.

As our cattle is arguably the worst in the comp, and as we have a huge number of guys who've played less than 50 games, it may be a club strategy to ensure that that inexperience is balanced with senior guys.

Point is, I think people have forgotten how far off the pace we still are.

The club said 2018 was the aim for a top 4 finish. That's ambitious - and yet is still 2 years away!

If people think the team is being picked, and even coached for the short term, if day they're wrong.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I actually don't mind Billings being dropped/rotated. He's only got 35 games under his belt and has had an injury interrupted career so far. To get a break from the high-pressure AFL (where clubs are already putting work into stopping him as he is so dangerous) for a week or two makes sense. It opens up a spot for Minch to get some top line experience and Jack can come back refreshed and time to think over how he can best impact in the AFL. Sometimes players just need a little circuit breaker away from the relentless AFL glare especially if you carry a top-5 pick tag that the media love to compare (eg. Bont v Billings). I'd prefer a bit more of this sort of rotation for the rest of the year. Lets try out all our list and give guys a taste of the big time so they know what they need to work towards.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Not happy how he is being used today