Riewoldt playing on

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintly Passion
Club Player

Re: Riewoldt playing on

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stonecold
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:the the h-s manipulation
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 9eb1d712fd
Well done Rooey!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Love the Roo....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Awesome but expected news. So that's captaincy sorted for 2017 as well.

How sweet will it be to see Roo take over Kernhan's record. Having one up on Carlton in anything can only be a good thing !

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saintly Passion wrote:http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... gotiations

and his own version
Putting pen to paper to perform a job that I love, with a club that I consider family, to provide for my own family is not always smooth sailing. But the end result is what counts and I'm delighted to be a part of the Saints' future for another year at least.

I'm looking forward to living up to my end of the bargain in the second half of this year, in 2017 and possibly beyond.
:D :lol: 8-)

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Great stuff, hope he removes himself from captaincy contention next year though

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
Saintly Passion wrote:http://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/1 ... gotiations

and his own version
Putting pen to paper to perform a job that I love, with a club that I consider family, to provide for my own family is not always smooth sailing. But the end result is what counts and I'm delighted to be a part of the Saints' future for another year at least.

I'm looking forward to living up to my end of the bargain in the second half of this year, in 2017 and possibly beyond.
:D :lol: 8-)
.....and ladies & gentlemen, the good Lord our God has spoken!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Great stuff, hope he removes himself from captaincy contention next year though
You clearly have no sense of history.

stonecold
SS Life Member

saintspremiers wrote:
SainterK wrote:Great stuff, hope he removes himself from captaincy contention next year though
History is there to be changed, particularly one like ours!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saintbob
SS Life Member

stonecold wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
History is there to be changed, particularly one like ours!!!!!
He keeps it next year, no one else really putting their hand and saying give it to me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

We've been blessed to have incredibly loyal players like Rooey, Harvey, Burke, Loewe and Lenny over the years.

These guys are heart and soul star players. They're a rare breed.

Thank you, Rooey, for staying on and showing such incredible loyalty and dedication to our football club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
I'd like us to choose a new captain for 2017 and I'd like to see our leaders grow but I can't see it happening until Roo retires.

Do any of our players have what it takes to lead the club going forward? I believe yes!! I believe we have strong leaders who are capable of setting standards on the training track and on field but I think Roo's still the guy for now because of who he is. Roo is such a giant of our club and of our sport. When you have such an imposing person it makes sense - economic sense.

As a club we probably need Roo ( and the AFL needs Roo) more as the captain for all the marketing and off field representation imo more than Saints need him on field. People will probably think that's crap when we lose without him but we went ok without him in 2010 when he missed half a year and we'll go ok without him whenever he decides to hang 'em up.

Without ridiculing supporters that want the team to grow and move forward and without disputing Roo's greatness (shooting Bambi never goes down well on here) we are developing a very potent forward line and Tim and Paddy and Josh can't coexist with Roo in the vicinity. The coach has acknowledged this and plays Roo up the ground. He is playing on in 2017 because...?? I'll answer - because his numbers are good and because he wants to. Yes - Roo is smarter and more agile than Trav and he's fitter and has better endurance than Pav but seriously - is he an inside mid or an outside runner? For the sake of the teams development, 2017 should be his last.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

keep the captaincy - set a league record. records bring prestige that add to the greatness of a club. not something to throw away when there's no one more deserving or capable to replace him.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

2017 shouldn't be his last IF his body and form permits him to play on in 2018. If it means Roo plays exclusively as a wingman for the sake of team development in the next 2 years he will happily oblige.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:keep the captaincy - set a league record. records bring prestige that add to the greatness of a club. not something to throw away when there's no one more deserving or capable to replace him.
We have far to many personal records. The only club record we hold is a source of constant jibes and embarrassment.

Give me team success over personal achievements any day. Unfortunately for us he will still be the stand out leader next year. We have no obvious replacement.

Saintsational Legend

Why?

Roo is a freak body wise and it is probably his knee that will eventually end his career. He has adapted to the roving wing role not just well, but brilliantly, playing arguably AA form in this role and may well play another 3 seasons if his knee holds out.

All the reports have him head and shoulders as the best captaincy material at the club. So why not go with the best, rather than second best?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Why?

Roo is a freak body wise and it is probably his knee that will eventually end his career. He has adapted to the roving wing role not just well, but brilliantly, playing arguably AA form in this role and may well play another 3 seasons if his knee holds out.

All the reports have him head and shoulders as the best captaincy material at the club. So why not go with the best, rather than second best?
For 2017 happy for Roo to play but we MUST transition.

3 years is a fantasy. 2 is a possibility. If his knee holds out and if he hangs in there for 2017 will we be a finals contender and if he holds out for another 2 years, what sort of shape do you think his body will be in towards the end of the season when and IF we are ready to challenge. Roo is now a roving midfielder-winger because? If you take off the rose coloured glasses and answer honestly you will come to the conclusion that he's there because we are 'fitting' him into the team. Yes he's holding his own, yes he's a champion and a smart footballer who can adapt, but once again the question begs to be asked. Are we holding back the midfields development?

Milne
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Love the Roo....

Here's Rooey

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Roo who? Is he a Saints player?

:wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Why?

For 2017 happy for Roo to play but we MUST transition.

3 years is a fantasy. 2 is a possibility. If his knee holds out and if he hangs in there for 2017 will we be a finals contender and if he holds out for another 2 years, what sort of shape do you think his body will be in towards the end of the season when and IF we are ready to challenge. Roo is now a roving midfielder-winger because? If you take off the rose coloured glasses and answer honestly you will come to the conclusion that he's there because we are 'fitting' him into the team. Yes he's holding his own, yes he's a champion and a smart footballer who can adapt, but once again the question begs to be asked. Are we holding back the midfields development?
I am calling it. 0% chance he will play in 2018.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

8856brother wrote:
desertsaint wrote:keep the captaincy - set a league record. records bring prestige that add to the greatness of a club. not something to throw away when there's no one more deserving or capable to replace him.
We have far to many personal records. The only club record we hold is a source of constant jibes and embarrassment.

Give me team success over personal achievements any day. Unfortunately for us he will still be the stand out leader next year. We have no obvious replacement.
name one? we share locket with sydney, stewart with richmond. when you look at greats of the game you also look at the club. and as you mention, there's no one better. it's not unfortunate that we have one of the all time great captains at the club. weird to even look at it that way.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:
8856brother wrote:

name one? we share locket with sydney, stewart with richmond. when you look at greats of the game you also look at the club. and as you mention, there's no one better. it's not unfortunate that we have one of the all time great captains at the club. weird to even look at it that way.
Pretty simple really. We have had some of the most decorated players ever to play the game. Heaps of Brownlows, but stuff all team success. I want flags. Don't care about any other records.

Saintsational Legend

The future of the Aryan race is assured.

I think Roo will Captain in 2017 before Seb Ross takes over in 2018.