BJ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BJ

Broken nose.

Broken spirit.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkmo
Club Player

Re: BJ

Bled for our club and still loves the Saints.

Personally, I can't ever hate him. That's just me.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Here's an interesting article from BJ in yesterday's Age: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brendon-go ... pg95f.html

It's funny how he can't remember what year it was when he took that mark over Jack Riewoldt.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Here's an interesting article from BJ in yesterday's Age: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brendon-go ... pg95f.html

It's funny how he can't remember what year it was when he took that mark over Jack Riewoldt.

Love the story about Kosi tellng Bob Murpy, "Mate, you've got a head like a Mintie"......that made me laugh out loud.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:Here's an interesting article from BJ in yesterday's Age: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/brendon-go ... pg95f.html

And we didn't play Brisbane at the Gabba in 2003.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stories sometimes get distorted over the years... Or facts get forgotten or confused...

BJ was a great Saint .... It's that simple

asaint
Club Player

A great saint. Will never bag him.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Stories sometimes get distorted over the years... Or facts get forgotten or confused...

He also held the club to ransom and abandoned a sinking ship - many also questioned his effort in his last season, not to mention his immediate resurgence at the Bombers.

He was a great player for a time with us, and he gave us everything he had when the stakes were high... Personally don't view him as a great Saint

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
BigMart wrote:Stories sometimes get distorted over the years... Or facts get forgotten or confused...

He also held the club to ransom and abandoned a sinking ship - many also questioned his effort in his last season, not to mention his immediate resurgence at the Bombers.

He was a great player for a time with us, and he gave us everything he had when the stakes were high... Personally don't view him as a great Saint
Loved him when he was with us, but certainly didn't even have him in the same conversation as Roo and Lenny. Too many remember his game in the 2010 GF and forget the circumstances in which he left. Wanted $700k to stay which was ridiculous after the season he'd just had.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. He certainly wasn't loyal to the club when it mattered

yipper
SS Life Member

BJ was a terrific player for us - gave everything he had in him in our GF and finals series under Rossy. He and Lenny almost got us over the line in 2010!! They were both totally spent. Remember he played in the 09 GF - got a broken nose and busted collarbone through his tireless efforts to get us up.

I will always respect him for what he did for us. He still loves the saints - never really wanted to go - couldn't stand Watters unfortunately. So he left.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was pretty much a flogger when he was at the Saints too.

I never really understand this 'he played for my club therefore he's perfect' mentality.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:BJ was a terrific player for us - gave everything he had in him in our GF and finals series under Rossy. He and Lenny almost got us over the line in 2010!! They were both totally spent. Remember he played in the 09 GF - got a broken nose and busted collarbone through his tireless efforts to get us up.

I will always respect him for what he did for us. He still loves the saints - never really wanted to go - couldn't stand Watters unfortunately. So he left.
A player manger told me that him and his manager went into the negotiation meeting and stated that he wanted to be the highest paid player at the club, otherwise he was leaving.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Goddard was one of my favs when he played for us. While we were CONTENDING he gave is all. When the ship was sinking under Watters was a different storey. He became an unaccountable finger pointer only wanting to get the soft ball at the back.
He may say that he loves our club but his loyalty was for the $$$ and success of winning a flag. This is why I don't respect him anymore. If he loved our club he would have played for less $$$ and potentially become our captain.
The situation he is in, is just karma.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Goddard was one of my favs when he played for us. While we were CONTENDING he gave his all. When the ship was sinking under Watters, it was a different storey. He became an unaccountable finger pointer only wanting to get the soft ball at the back.
He may say that he loves our club but his loyalty was for the $$$ and success of winning a flag. This is why I don't respect him anymore. If he loved our club he would have played for less $$$ and potentially become our captain.
The situation he is in, is just karma.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

I don't begrudge him seeking an earn at that stage of his career. I wouldn't applaud him for it either. He did his bit while we were a chance.

But as long as he's a bombres player he can get stuffed.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Johnny Member wrote:
A player manger told me that him and his manager went into the negotiation meeting and stated that he wanted to be the highest paid player at the club, otherwise he was leaving.
yep - if he hated Watters so much he could have gone over to Freo - but that would have meant even less money
He was after a bucket load over 4 years, and a shot at a GF End of story.
Zero respect for him as a person, in the end just a total hypocrite.
Yep he took a mark in a GF and "gave his all" but then so did the rest of the list over those two years and some of the lesser lights most likely sacrificed even more than Goddard.
FIGJAM of the highest order and still is.

Seeya
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How did we feel when he took that mark in 2010

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Dal is no different, did the same thing, they don't call him smooth mover for nothing.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Did BJ and Dal leave our club looking for big bucks and a chance to play finals?

Did we turf them out looking to pick up compensatory draft picks and gain valuable salary cap space?

Or did we simply allow them to walk knowing of those advantages?

None of us on here know and therefore it's ridiculous to suggest we do.

And because we don't, it's impossible to really know how to feel about them no longer being at St Kilda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

stonecold
SS Life Member

satchmo wrote:I don't begrudge him seeking an earn at that stage of his career. I wouldn't applaud him for it either. He did his bit while we were a chance.

But as long as he's a bombres player he can get stuffed.
Yeap, stuffed like a GreenSausage!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How did we feel when he took that mark in 2010
Loved his game that day.

Never really warmed to him though.

I've never really warmed to Reiwoldt either though, FWIW.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Did BJ and Dal leave our club looking for big bucks and a chance to play finals?

Did we turf them out looking to pick up compensatory draft picks and gain valuable salary cap space?

Or did we simply allow them to walk knowing of those advantages?

None of us on here know and therefore it's ridiculous to suggest we do.

And because we don't, it's impossible to really know how to feel about them no longer being at St Kilda.
FWIW I always thought Dal was pushed and wanted to stay

IIRC Goddard had offers on the table to stay but the way he seemed to check out onfield, his resurgence year 1 with the bombers, and the way he carried on about the finals suggest to me that he was happy to leave. The scuttlebutt RE the overinflated price he put on his head pbly has some basis and seems to me to have been his way out w/o saying it directly.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

As far as I'm concerned he played that last season like he was already signed up and ready to go to Essendon.

No sympathy from me, "Strength through Loyalty" translates for Goddard to "Strength through Toll Holdings and cheque book"