free kicks

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: free kicks

Life Long Saint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:What about the idiot umpire who couldn't bounce the ball and then asked Gawn why he punched the ball away. If I were Gawn I would have responded that we wouldn't be having this conversation if you knew how to bounce the ball properly.
That level of wit looks beyond Gawn.
I suppose you don't have to be too smart to be a good ruckman

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:What about the idiot umpire who couldn't bounce the ball and then asked Gawn why he punched the ball away. If I were Gawn I would have responded that we wouldn't be having this conversation if you knew how to bounce the ball properly.
yes i think his confused grunt and shrug in reply said it all.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

saint-stu wrote:Why do you expect the free count to be even? We were tackling a lot more so were more likely to give away frees.
See, this logic just doesn't stand up. IF the opposition tackle count was through the roof, and they received a lot more free kicks, we would put it down to their attack on the ball and the man, and ask our players to lift their intensity. We soundly beat the opposition, out-tackle them, lose the free- kick count yet again, and someone puts it down to the statistical average of "poor tackles" because our tackle count was so high........

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE FRRE KICK COUNT ??

It is not logically possible to never/rarely win the free kick count irrelevant of the nature of the game. We pulverise our opponents and lose the free kick count, we surrender meekly to our opponents and lose the free kick count. What do we need to do to regularly break even or even win the free kick count?

Whether we were challenging for flags or down the bottom collecting spoons, whether our list was of acknowledged great players like Dal, BJ, Roo or lots of kids like Billings, Gresh etc, we have been on the wrong end of the free kick count now consistently for at least 8 years......WHY?

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
saint-stu wrote:Why do you expect the free count to be even? We were tackling a lot more so were more likely to give away frees.
See, this logic just doesn't stand up. IF the opposition tackle count was through the roof, and they received a lot more free kicks, we would put it down to their attack on the ball and the man, and ask our players to lift their intensity. We soundly beat the opposition, out-tackle them, lose the free- kick count yet again, and someone puts it down to the statistical average of "poor tackles" because our tackle count was so high........

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE FRRE KICK COUNT ??

It is not logically possible to never/rarely win the free kick count irrelevant of the nature of the game. We pulverise our opponents and lose the free kick count, we surrender meekly to our opponents and lose the free kick count. What do we need to do to regularly break even or even win the free kick count?

Whether we were challenging for flags or down the bottom collecting spoons, whether our list was of acknowledged great players like Dal, BJ, Roo or lots of kids like Billings, Gresh etc, we have been on the wrong end of the free kick count now consistently for at least 8 years......WHY?
Good question, and one the club should be asking the AFL.

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

True Believer wrote:WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO WIN THE FRRE KICK COUNT ??
Triple our membership.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Life Long Saint wrote:
Gawn has a cousin in South Dakota who wrestles catfish, and is married to a close family member- keeping the gene pool pure

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:How we couldd lose the free kick count in this week's game 19 -15 is beyond me.

Oh, I forgot the maggot awarding most of the frees to the scumbags was a former scumbag himself.
Must have missed the AFL memo that stated the free kick count has to be even in every game!!!!!

Take the four points and get over it!!!!!

Statements such as yours are really going to encourage ex players to umpire, maybe being such an expert and all, you could step out from the safety of cyber space have a go?????

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
saynta wrote:How we couldd lose the free kick count in this week's game 19 -15 is beyond me.

Oh, I forgot the maggot awarding most of the frees to the scumbags was a former scumbag himself.
Must have missed the AFL memo that stated the free kick count has to be even in every game!!!!!

Statements such as yours are really going to encourage ex players to umpire, maybe being such an expert and all, you could step out from the safety of cyber space have a go?????
Bit to old for that mate, anyway I am more the management type. I leave the blue coliar stuff to guys like you.

Basically I couldn't give a rats whether former players take up umpiring or not as long as they don't get games involving their former teams.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 15 Jun 2016 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
Gawn has a cousin in South Dakota who wrestles catfish, and is married to a close family member- keeping the gene pool pure
He would seem to be a better fit for the filth then.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Bit to old for that mate, anyway I am more the management type. I leave the blue colour stuff to guys like you.

Basically I couldn't give a rats whether former players take up umpiring or not as long as they don't get games involving their former teams.
I have no problem if they do so long as they umpire well.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:

Maybe you can explain the trend then instead of focusing on one game...

Once again...We receive 15.8 free kicks per game. By comparison, there are ten clubs that receive 20 or more.
We clearly aren't getting the free kicks other teams get.

Can you explain that?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:

Bit to old for that mate, anyway I am more the management type. I leave the blue colour stuff to guys like you.

I have no problem if they do so long as they umpire well.
In Fisher's first game that involved the saints, he awarded the saints a couple of frees and got crucified for doing so.

The AFL originally said, never again, but have since relaxed their stance.

It's human nature to be distrustfull. I know I am.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The AFL's 'pass' mark for umpiring accuracy is 80%...assuming that they capture 100% of infringements, this would be acceptable.

I'm quite sure accuracy is better this year than the recent past, but umpires seem to be inclined to put the whistle away when it comes to forward line infringements, particularly in our case. Didn't cost us too dearly on the weekend, it's close games where I'd like to see our small forwards being paid for high tackles and pushes, tall forwards for having arms and heads chopped in marking contests.

I think there's a number of teams that could argue the same.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:The AFL's 'pass' mark for umpiring accuracy is 80%...assuming that they capture 100% of infringements, this would be acceptable.

I'm quite sure accuracy is better this year than the recent past, but umpires seem to be inclined to put the whistle away when it comes to forward line infringements, particularly in our case. Didn't cost us too dearly on the weekend, it's close games where I'd like to see our small forwards being paid for high tackles and pushes, tall forwards for having arms and heads chopped in marking contests.

I think there's a number of teams that could argue the same.
Yes, but we are still down the bottom when it comes to free kicks and have been since the Grant Thomas days.

There is no rational explanation for that apart from assuming the maggots have us in the gun.

shrodes
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:There is no rational explanation for that apart from assuming the maggots have us in the gun.
Not true, there are plenty of reasons. The way coaching staff teach defensive techniques such as marking contests, tackling, and winning contested ball. The ability for our players to extract free kicks through body positioning. The luck of the draw (someone has to be ranked last after all).

On occasion I have been troubled by the umpiring, but every time I stop myself and think, are we winning? If we're not winning, I'm probably just making excuses for the fact.

The umpiring on the weekend was quite alright in my books, besides that out of bounds on the full call.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

All I want is consistency.
I've noticed since our game against the hawks how many 5-10mtr kicks have been paid in the backline yet ours weren't. Same goes for 5-10 mtr kicks to the forwards. This is just as ridiculous and luckily we haven't been burnt by this yet.
To me the AFL have an agenda to make the game more faster and higher scoring and the umpires have been told to adjudicate their decisions accordingly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:To me the AFL have an agenda to make the game more faster and higher scoring and the umpires have been told to adjudicate their decisions accordingly.
They can start paying frees to our forwards and probably add 10 goals per game...then everyone will be happy! :mrgreen:

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

degruch wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:To me the AFL have an agenda to make the game more faster and higher scoring and the umpires have been told to adjudicate their decisions accordingly.
They can start paying frees to our forwards and probably add 10 goals per game...then everyone will be happy! :mrgreen:
The AFL's fine print states screw stkilda at all costs.