Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

Milne wrote:
loris wrote:BUMP!!!!!!

Good on you Seb Ross, you have put egg on the faces of a few posters from last year.............. the year before they were more vitriol in their comments
A lot of the posters were right at the time. He has certainly come along way!

No. A lot of posters thought they were right. They weren't.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Yep best decision Essendon didnt make taking Ross in the Carlisle trade. SB has blossomed this year and still has room for improvement.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Yep best decision Essendon didnt make taking Ross in the Carlisle trade. SB has blossomed this year and still has room for improvement.
Don't believe he was ever offered up, so there was no decision for them to make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

A lot of s*** expert analysis in this thread. Hilarious.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:All you haters would have said the same about armo and monty. They took a little while before they got going.

Wow haters hey?

I want every Saints player to succeed. I don't think Ross will.

Have always said would love for him to prove me wrong, but unfortunately is not doing so.

Reckon he is too slow, doesn't get enough of the ball, his opponent runs off him, and he cant spread.

Apart from that he is fantastic.

He has been fantastic - great insight here... :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

And he runs with the ball... Gets heaps of the ball... Is defensive as per his lock down on bontempelli at start of year... And spreads. Delicious.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

He was never offered up. This was all nonsense from some posters who somehow came up with a theory about cousins being somehow important. Essendon had their shot at Seb and chose Elliott Kavanagh. End of story. I doubt Seb gives two sh*ts about Essendon. I also doubt Jack Riewoldt gives two sh*ts about St Kilda. Same deal. Elliott bloody Kavanagh. We certainly got this one over the Bombers.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sun 26 Jun 2016 2:36am, edited 3 times in total.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think this is more about a particular forumite wanting to be revered as the one with the best judgement. The wisest one. The Mr. Mayagi of saintsational.

It's easier is achieve this when you don't actually back up what you say... Hence the lack of examples under the guise that such things are beneath the all-father.
He and only he knew that Seb Ross was the best amongst the overwhelming legions of doubters.

We salute you. HAIL.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like Godwins Law.

Great call on Ross, Saynta.

You saw something in him and you stuck to your guns. Seb always had the skills and a first class attitude. He's a big unit and sometimes these guys take time.

Kudos.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 15 Jun 2016 7:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Signs early we were on a winner.

Great hands.

Clever footballer, time and space

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:Signs early we were on a winner.

Great hands.

Clever footballer, time and space
Positive and succinct.

Good post.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Good work Bunk

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Yep best decision Essendon didnt make taking Ross in the Carlisle trade. SB has blossomed this year and still has room for improvement.
He wasn't offended up

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A lot of people sinking the boots into Bunk here.

Now he may have been off the mark here, but at least he had the guts to put himself out there and call it as he saw it at the time.

That is what a fan forum is about after all.

And that's way more respectable then sitting on the sidelines and taking pot shots in hindsight. In fact, I notice a number of ppl sticking it to Bunk, failed to share an opinion of their own.

In fact, some forumites on this site have made a habit of offering nothing but insults. I bet they're the best type of supporter to sit around and they make this forum a better place.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Sounds like Godwins Law.

You saw something in him and you stuck to your guns. Seb always had the skills and a first class attitude. He's a big unit and sometimes these guys take time.

Kudos.
Thanks mate.

It seems that someone has his nose out of joint which i find highly amusing.

:wink: :D

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
SaintPav wrote:Sounds like Godwins Law.

Kudos.
Thanks mate.

It seems that someone has his nose out of joint which i find highly amusing.

:wink: :D
Me too. :mrgreen:

That very someone is also accusing people of behaviour that they themselves are guilty of.

They'll now probably have a go at me for incorrect grammar by finishing a sentence with a preposition, but they would be wrong.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

it's funny

some people make an early call.... it's ok

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

it's funny

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

So suddenly Ross has MADE IT after 50 games? We're still down the bottom of the ladder in big part because of our lack lustre midfield particulary the supporting mids around Steven and ARmo. Long way to go for Rossy. He's got a good platform to build from now but is not a baby any more and needs to start learning to take the game by the scruff of the neck and not let Armo and Steven do it all. Does he have the weaponary to be a really damaging mid and not just clock up possessions linking up play? lets see

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Pav and Saynta you guys are a funny bunch.

Saynta ir clearly $/1tty with me about something but I have no idea what. I thought we'd settled our dispute a year or two back but I noticed a few weeks ago that he's talking or responding to me which is fine... Except u follows me around, have digs and then don't answer any follow up.
For me, it's kind of pathetic that a 40+ year old, supposed lawyer is trying to give me the silent treatment on the internet. I wish you would just man up and put it on the table rather then play a less than subtle smoke and mirrors game.

That's the thing about the internet though, once you actually write something down it's much harder to back out of it later. Like how he accused multiple ppl of wanting to trade Ross to Ess... You said it repeatedly, can't back it up, have got yourself in a corner... And now it's all deflect deflect deflect.

Pav... Well lets face, we just don't get on. You got shitty about some opinion I posted a few weeks ago, and rather than debate it you just fired out the insults and that's how this game has progressed...
We've both given as good as we've gotten and I know from past history that attempting to reason with you is just unproductive. As you have mentioned repeatedly in recent times, I tried apologising to you once to smooth things over last time we had this carry on, and though you accepted and apologised yourself... It's now somehow a negative thing that you try and misrepresent and mock me with.

IMO that's poor form. The PM I sent you about Johnson and that etc. was also a response to a question you'd asked me earlier that I didn't see at the time and didn't want you to think I'd ignored you. My intent was to be respectful. As you've hung on to that memory for 5+ years it's safe to say that error was mine too.

I've seen some of your posts of late, your run ins with stone cold etc. and note that you really do spend a lot of time playing the man rather than the ball.
And i guess that brings me to my main point: I just want to talk about football. This stick it to ppl for being wrong about stuff, the holding the grudges, pretending that they can't read when you talk about them etc it's boring. It's not what this site is about. Now we've all given as good as we've gotten here, personally I'd like to end this now.

Here's my request... If you're going to have a jab at me in the future, please keep to the topic and keep it about football. If I respond with a question, you should consider answering. Alternatively put me on ignore and stick with it. Go one or the other. I will try to do the same but it's hard ala the Geary thread when you have a dig which IMO was incorrect but you then refuse to talk further about it. Up until then Pav I left you alone.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:So suddenly Ross has MADE IT after 50 games? We're still down the bottom of the ladder in big part because of our lack lustre midfield particulary the supporting mids around Steven and ARmo. Long way to go for Rossy. He's got a good platform to build from now but is not a baby any more and needs to start learning to take the game by the scruff of the neck and not let Armo and Steven do it all. Does he have the weaponary to be a really damaging mid and not just clock up possessions linking up play? lets see

You haven't been watching?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Skeptic, you're being very selective in your examples. What about all your run ins with Saynta, for example? How long has that been going on for?

I reacted to your thread on Geary because I thought it was biased and very condescending. You made the point that he wouldn't mind the feedback. Yeah, right!

I called Stonecold out on a ridiculous thread he started on Hurley. I did that because he was lying and because I felt like it. Too bad if you or anyone else has a problem with that.

I'll say this. You spend a lot of time thinking and writing about footy and you're obviously very knowledgeable but don't play the victim card; you're just as bad as anyone else on this forum.

Have a nice Saturday.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:it's funny

:D

It's easy to make an early call when a player's footy smarts stand out like dog balls.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I think the biggest problem on here tends to be that people are into absolutes. It's all well to go early on a young player (they are simply opinions after all), but people declare someone a "lock" or "a bust" after a half a dozen games - that is fraught with peril.

I expressed opinions about Hickey three years ago, that I liked what I saw and thought he would make it. I liked his coordination, agility and balance for a guy of his size. Not to mention that he actually has really great hands in close as well (following a gather behind his back and slick hand-pass in an early game). I didn't declare him a lock or a bust, but stated that I thought he would be really good AFTER he developed. No-one took me to task or started a feud, because I didn't declare a future outcome that was not up for discussion.

I did the same thing with Lewis Pierce after seeing a VFL game in his second year, and the rate of improvement in him, despite still being built like a piece of wire. I may end up being right or wrong, but again there was no dispute because I expressed an opinion and provided the reasoning that led me to my conclusion and the observations on which the reasoning was based. I also didn't see it as an irrefutable outcome - it was only my opinion and may be proved wrong or right in the future.

There's too much chest-beating and dick-swinging that goes on in here these days that tries to masquerade as debate.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Oh, and on Seb Ross - I didn't like what I saw early on, but after about 15 games I really started to like how he doesn't panic in traffic. He kind of stays on the balls of his feet and switches his weight from leg to leg on the spot, and that tends to see opposition players committing their movement to a direction and buys him time to seek out options. Watch him in our next game. He gets the same outcome as Dal does, but with a slightly different method, but makes time for himself all the same.

I first really thought he could make it after a preseason game last year just before he did a really bad hammy. He had clearly upped his tank in the preseason and his run and spread saw him getting to a lot more contests, and all of a sudden his numbers jumped up. His disposal is not elite(although not as bad as some like to make out, and his hands in close are really quick), so he will need high possession counts in order to impact games, but I think he will end up being like Luke Ball in the respect that a lot of his stats will be racked up as inside ball, and won't be obvious. He will get to the end of a game and you will read that he racked up 30 touches and it will surprise you a little.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:I think the biggest problem on here tends to be that people are into absolutes. It's all well to go early on a young player (they are simply opinions after all), but people declare someone a "lock" or "a bust" after half a dozen games - that is fraught with peril.

I expressed opinions about Hickey three years ago, that I liked what I saw and thought he would make it. I liked his coordination, agility and balance for a guy of his size. Not to mention that he actually has really great hands in close as well (following a gather behind his back and slick hand-pass in an early game). I didn't declare him a lock or a bust, but stated that I thought he would be really good AFTER he developed. No-one took me to task or started a feud, because I didn't declare a future outcome that was not up for discussio

I did the same thing with Lewis Pierce after seeing a VFL game in his second year, and the rate of improvement in him, despite still being built like a piece of wire. I may end up being right or wrong, but again there was no dispute because I expressed an opinion and provided the reasoning that led me to my conclusion and the observations on which the reasoning was based. I also didn't see it as an irrefutable outcome - it was only my opinion and may be proved wrong or right in the future.

There's too much chest-beating and dick-swinging that goes on in here these days that tries to masquerade as debate.

Oh ffs, I'm not into chest beating or dick swinging and I am certainly not apologising for saying that the coach liked Seb and that he was a natural footballer with the quickest hands in the club.

I stuck up for him against all the negative comments, which unfortunately are still occasionaly being posted.

I have never used the words "lock:" or "bust" and really disappointed with posters who are now trying to justify their inability to pick class when it is staring them in the face.