Luke Delaney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Delaney

I think the AA and dual B&F winner is our best kpd ATM at least

Del is a back up KD and is playing because Fisher, Lee and Dempster is injured

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think the AA and dual B&F winner is our best kpd ATM at least

I think Delaney and Lee would be thought of as on par

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I've never why people think he should be delisted. To me he's always been a really valuable backup as a big backmen. I said I preferred Delaney over Dempster in our 22 because he can shut down the big forward gorrillas and free up our other defenders. His big downside is his disposal which is pretty average and he's not a big marker, preferring to punch. He's also seems to have some on going hip issues. But he could be a 'horses for courses' player when its vital a huge forward needs to be shut down. What if Carlisle or Goddard went down in a prelim? You need that sort of cover.

I'd prefer to keep Del on the list than Dempster who we have many possible replacements - Robeton, Webster, Mckenzie, White, Coughlin etc
Huge surprise here Bluthy thinks someone is better than Dempster. Nothing to contribute except agenda driven stupidity. Yes Delaney is so much better than Dempster obviously, so was Justin Plapp and Jodi Arnol, Dempster worst player to ever play for Saints and when he is finally delisted should be expunged from our records....

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Bluthy wrote:I've never why people think he should be delisted. To me he's always been a really valuable backup as a big backmen. I said I preferred Delaney over Dempster in our 22 because he can shut down the big forward gorrillas and free up our other defenders. His big downside is his disposal which is pretty average and he's not a big marker, preferring to punch. He's also seems to have some on going hip issues. But he could be a 'horses for courses' player when its vital a huge forward needs to be shut down. What if Carlisle or Goddard went down in a prelim? You need that sort of cover.

I'd prefer to keep Del on the list than Dempster who we have many possible replacements - Robeton, Webster, Mckenzie, White, Coughlin etc
Huge surprise here Bluthy thinks someone is better than Dempster. Nothing to contribute except agenda driven stupidity. Yes Delaney is so much better than Dempster obviously, so was Justin Plapp and Jodi Arnol, Dempster worst player to ever play for Saints and when he is finally delisted should be expunged from our records....
Oh its an "agenda" because I have a consistent opinion about a player. Grow up. Yes I don't rate Dempster as much as 95% of the board. So what. Viva la difference. Dempster is a warrior but I don't think he currently fits into our best structure and I think the last couple of weeks have shown that with our better rebound from the back. Plus blooding of youth should be a priority and I didn't like have so many of the oldies in the back. We can have some but not nearly the whole backline.

Your over top straw man ridiculous finale shows how defensive you are - people resort to those sort of silly over the top masturbating silliness when they can't argue. If something gets under your skin then you have to ask yourself if there is a truth being presented to you that you are trying to deny. Thats where the childish name calling comes from - repression. If you just don't agree with me, then you just go "Eh, don't agree" in a civilized fashion. Your anger betrays you Skywalker. Do I speak a truth? Perhaps I do HTH, perhaps I do eh? Eh? Eh? Yes?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think the AA and dual B&F winner is our best kpd ATM at least

According to this logic Darren Glass is the eagles best defender and Brian Lake number 1 for Hawthorn.
You may as well add that if Scarlett was playing on the weekend the Cats would have won.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 27 Jun 2016 1:23pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Harvey To Hayes wrote:

Oh its an "agenda" because I have a consistent opinion about a player. Grow up. Yes I don't rate Dempster as much as 95% of the board. So what. Viva la difference. Dempster is a warrior but I don't think he currently fits into our best structure and I think the last couple of weeks have shown that with our better rebound from the back. Plus blooding of youth should be a priority and I didn't like have so many of the oldies in the back. We can have some but not nearly the whole backline.

Your over top straw man ridiculous finale shows how defensive you are - people resort to those sort of silly over the top masturbating silliness when they can't argue. If something gets under your skin then you have to ask yourself if there is a truth being presented to you that you are trying to deny. Thats where the childish name calling comes from - repression. If you just don't agree with me, then you just go "Eh, don't agree" in a civilized fashion. Your anger betrays you Skywalker. Do I speak a truth? Perhaps I do HTH, perhaps I do eh? Eh? Eh? Yes?

Who's resorting to name calling?

stonecold
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:He's the best KPD on our list. Insane that we weren't playing him.
Playing for his career min by min, game by game. If we get Hurley, he goes, if not he stays, if he makes the most of his opportunities, simple as that!!!!!

PS. Chippa won't be around next year!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Next year Carlisle will be our #1 defender

Scarlett is long retired

Glass and Lake were their teams #1 defenders both, like Fisher, Rance and Michael Johnson were stars

Fisher at his best 07-11 was the third best player in the team
Now he's just the best key back but still a good player

If he retires, it'll be a great career as a key defender

stonecold
SS Life Member

[quote="BigMart"
If he retires, it'll be a great career as a key defender[/quote]

Yeap, couldn't agree more, also considering he was drafted as a CHF!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

After watching the replay Delany was officially awesome

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Goose is king wrote:After watching the replay Delany was officially awesome
It was a big step up for him, wasn't it. Covered a lot of ground too; he's more mobile than I remembered.

Our defensive work was magnificent, really.

And he and Robbo have to share the credit for Hawkins' multiple dummy spits throughout the night.

Always loyal
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Yeah i watched the replay last night and Del was very good. Played in front. Some intercept marks. Was the cause of Hawkins frustration.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:He's the best KPD on our list. Insane that we weren't playing him.
Playing for his career min by min, game by game. If we get Hurley, he goes, if not he stays, if he makes the most of his opportunities, simple as that!!!!!

PS. Chippa won't be around next year!!!!!

If so then that will be the Clubs call as Chips certainly wants to play on next year. His latest hammy, and seasons of injuries may have tipped te scales against him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:
It was a big step up for him, wasn't it. Covered a lot of ground too; he's more mobile than I remembered.

Our defensive work was magnificent, really.

And he and Robbo have to share the credit for Hawkins' multiple dummy spits throughout the night.
yes was more mobile and also better offensively too with his run and disposal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He was good defensively

Not too sure about his offence... He had 8 disposals... Which is his average since we got him

In the last two seasons at FB Sam Fisher has averaged 15 disposals

That's why Fisher was preferred last year... That and just the fact he's a heaps better player

#gosaintas
Club Player

Fisher is not a key defender. Too weak. He is good as a second or third man. Hawkins monsters him. Dempster and Fisher should retire ASAP.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"Mate, we'd love you to go on. But a few of the experts on saintsational reckon ya done. So on ya bike"

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Delaney's going to have his work cut this week on Tom Lynch. A two metres tall key forward with sticky hands and a very accurate boot. In fact the guy is kicking at 75 per cent, which is Lockett-like

Playon
Club Player

BigMart wrote:He was good defensively

Not too sure about his offence... He had 8 disposals... Which is his average since we got him

In the last two seasons at FB Sam Fisher has averaged 15 disposals

That's why Fisher was preferred last year... That and just the fact he's a heaps better player
Remember when Max used to wear his opponent like a glove? The forward would lead with Max in hot pursuit, only to lay a fist in to spoil the mark. It's not all about possessions, especially for a full back, His main purpose is to stop a certain goal as best he can. I'm not buying into the Delaney V Fisher debate but Fisher was always best as a loose defender. Wind back the clock a few years and you'd have Fisher in your side before even thinking about Delaney, hell he's still good now.
I'm glad we have both on the list and hope Delaney remains there.

How long has Fisher got? Don't know.. But one thing is sure is the both Fisher and Dempster wont be on the list for too much longer. Then what happens if Carlisle gets injured or Goddard isn't ready or gets injured or purely doesn't make it and we've delisted Delaney and Lee.

Delaney should be kept even if we got Hurley or Marchbank, he's the forgotten man that everyone bags and think he started to believe it and was just going through the motions at Sandy.
I've got full confidence in Delaney to go out there and compete and thats against some of the best full forwards in the league, will he win every contest? No but he'll give it as good go

stevie
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:Delaney's going to have his work cut this week on Tom Lynch. A two metres tall key forward with sticky hands and a very accurate boot. In fact the guy is kicking at 75 per cent, which is Lockett-like
Lynchy's one weakness is he can be bumped aside in a marking duel. If he can't reach the ball, he struggles a bit. That said, he is an awesome player - if I could pick one guy now to play for us it would be him. He is that good.

Delaney reminds me a bit of the Lions thug Merrett in his build and defensive smarts but wihtout the tendency to be a dirty prick

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:Fisher is not a key defender. Too weak. He is good as a second or third man. Hawkins monsters him. Dempster and Fisher should retire ASAP.
You have massive credibility.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Fisher has never played as a loose man in his career... If you know footy, which I'm not sure of your connection with the game beside watching

A loose or (+1 ) is generally a 7th defender which is usually a defensive wing, the HHF rolls up to the wing and a fwd acts as a (round up) to turn their loose into a 2v1
Sam did drop off a bit from 06-07 whilst playing on the 2nd or 3rd tall if they pushed up high, or if they played a a fwd line with only two talls... He occasionally took a medium and dropped off and that medium was picked up at stoppages by the W/HF

This misnomer that Sam Fisher is 'not big' 'played his best footy loose' or has never been a key defender is so ridiculous it's laughable
And It'd be news to Sam who's played on key fwds for a decade.

He does read the ball well and often split off his man to intercept Mark (as does Dempster) that's called 'being a good player'.

He a huge unit Sam... I suggest some people stand close to him in real person before suggesting he's not KP size
Same as Alex Rance

Here a question
Who is bigger
Matt Maguire, Max Hudghton, Jason Blake

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Where was Del when Motlop handballed to Weeping Hawkins and it went over the line?
He was not near him?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Why do we have to go to extremes on this?

Fisher is a better player now but is at the end of his career.
Delaney has another 6+ years in him but we're not sure if he's good enough.

Why is it that only one can play barring injury?

Delaney couldn't get a look in until Sam got injured. He's played couple of games now and is actually looking pretty decent.

What was to stop us from resting Sam the odd week or two and giving other players opportunity? Maybe with a bit more rest Fisher wouldn't have done a hammy. If at the end of the season Fisher played 14 games and Delaney played the other 9 and both looked good enough to go round again... What's wrong with that.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

He's slow and not great when the ball is in his hands. Has lots of limitations. Needs to be more aggressive. Having said all that he was serviceable against Hawkins and I doubt anyone on the list could have done a better job. I was pleased for him and relieved for the team. Remember Hawkins did kick 3 goals so not as if he did nothing.

Wouldn't he play on Tom lynch this week rather than Sam Day?