Tommy Rockliff linked to Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Tommy Rockliff linked to Saints

samoht wrote:I hope the room in our salary cap isn't being perceived as a gaping vacuum that needs to be filled, asap - and our recruiters aren't sucked in by it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The club could potentially be in a fantastic place to really start massaging the list, cap etc... Would hate for them to get a little too excited and put it all on red.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Good player who is hampered by no support and nothing to kick to in front of him
He would would be larger on peoples radar if in Melbourne
But a no from me
Now if we move heaven and earth & start talking Dusty .... :idea:

Seeya
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

If we take another young guy with a dodgy knee and spend a first or second rounder on him I'll have a :x face

jays
Club Player

Pass two old and too much money

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Clubs have to pay at least 92% of the cap (it's well over 90%, not sure of exact figure),
so I wonder if that's why they keep Gilbo in the side- to keep paying him senior match payments rather than VFL wages.
But we have a lot of room, and I hope they use it to chase Free Agents who are not hobbled by injuries.
And Rockliff should never be even whispered about in jest.
No way. Don't want him.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
stkfc1
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:
samoht wrote:I hope the room in our salary cap isn't being perceived as a gaping vacuum that needs to be filled, asap - and our recruiters aren't sucked in by it.
Yeah, I know what you mean. The club could potentially be in a fantastic place to really start massaging the list, cap etc... Would hate for them to get a little too excited and put it all on red.
Must avoid a Boyd situation at all costs. That descion alone may cost the Doggies a flag. Absolute stupidity.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Fro what I've gleaned 99% of the interest is coming fro one party. You will find this may happen a bit in the coming weeks as our progress continues and player/ managers realise we have a bit in our salary cap.
Don't be fooled, our list managers know what we want!
Says it all.

Sounds like we're in a position to call the shots for a change. Happens when the place is run by quality people and you're going places.

Nice.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

saintbob wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Too old for us surely?
Id be looking at Jack Steele or just going to the draft and picking up the best kid available.
Agree totally
Also agree, Rockliff is a good tough player, and 3-4 years younger I'd say go for him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Doesn't seem like the right fit for us. Half this stuff is their manager trying to leverage a better deal for their client "psssst Barret wanna scoop? Saints are all over my client Rockcliff offering crazy money. I shouldn't have told you that. Oops. cats out now"

Saint wagga
Club Player

DO NOT WANT HIM!! Wrong age bracket! SURPLUS TO REQUIREMENTS and he is clearly a destablising figure, for better or worse!! NO THANKS!!!

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Wrong age, too much money and not worth trading picks or players.

Simple.

Give Jaeger a shot...

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Wrong age, too much money and not worth trading picks or players.

Simple.

Give Jaeger a shot...
Wrong knees, too much money and not worth trading the picks or players GC would demand.

Simple.

Give both a miss...

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Is he (Rockliff) a free agent this year?

coopergrech
Club Player

Next year
Impatient Sainter wrote:Is he (Rockliff) a free agent this year?

coopergrech
Club Player

Cant believe people on here wouldnt want Rockliff, he is a gun. He would be our 2nd best midfielder, Jaegar has a dodgy as knee. Plus you cant have all too young kids in the same team, need some more midfield experience...

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:Cant believe people on here wouldnt want Rockliff, he is a gun. He would be our 2nd best midfielder, Jaegar has a dodgy as knee. Plus you cant have all too young kids in the same team, need some more midfield experience...
Noone is saying we dont want him. People are saying it wouldnt be value. He is contracted in 2017 and wants $750k a year x 5. We would have to give up a LOT to get him in. Do you think Brisbane are going to let a contracted current captain go for free?

Hemi Baxter
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If he came as a FA and cost us absolutely zero and we could afford him - ok

But he is not someone I'd give up something for

Marchbank would be my #1 target
Steele, Ahern, O'Meara - also

I'd be willing to look at trading for any oth those
Pick 9, Longer, Murdoch, Lee, Gilbert

Looking at delisting
Curran, Shenton, (Lee or Delaney), Fisher
Saunders

Note
Would only delist/Trade one of Lee/Delaney
Would on retire Fisher if we landed Marchbank
Probably wouldn't go after O'Meara
Gilbert would only be traded as Steak Knives in any deal or for a younger Lion or Sun wanting out. most probably not traded.

Most likely trade
Pick 9 and Longer for
Marchbank and Ahern or Steele

Murdoch or Lee for
A 3rd round pick

Leaving us only approx
Pick 48, 54, 66
But
2 GWS first rounders
Basically I agree. Add Riley Knight from Adelaide to that list, lightning quick and great skills.

I've said it before but forget O'Meara. Hawthorn are miles in front of us in every respect, and before anyone says anything about their salary cap, they have so many retiring in the next two years he could play for the minimum next year and still get nearly 800,000 a year over 5 years.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Amazed that people are considering O'Meara a prospect. MIssed the whole of 2012 after groin surgery and hasn't played since the end of 2014. If our club are seriously considering spending a high pick on this guy - not happy Jan.

We already have Freeman. No way Jose on O'Meara. We need mids who can actually play, not be on a long term injury list.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
coopergrech wrote:Cant believe people on here wouldnt want Rockliff, he is a gun. He would be our 2nd best midfielder, Jaegar has a dodgy as knee. Plus you cant have all too young kids in the same team, need some more midfield experience...
Noone is saying we dont want him. People are saying it wouldnt be value. He is contracted in 2017 and wants $750k a year x 5. We would have to give up a LOT to get him in. Do you think Brisbane are going to let a contracted current captain go for free?
Agreed Con - if he was a free agent I would be all for getting him but he is NOT!

Brisbane would want our 1st round pick, for a guy who is 27 next year. We dont have the ready made list around him it would be a ludicrous trade, better suited to North or Geelong.

Apart from being a good player he is not what we need, we have plenty of inside ball winners or potential ball winners Armitage, Ross, Dunstan, Acres, Minchington, Gresham, Weller. We need outside run, speed and an elite kicking mid and Rockliff is definitely not that.

stkfc1
Club Player

Id basically be putting a line through anyone over 25 at this stage. Next years draft is when we should be looking at a free agent if the signs are good. Another preseason into Gresh/Freeman and co and then see where we're at. We cant let ourselves fall into the Richmond/Collingwood trap that we are further ahead than we actually are. I get the general feel we dont but strange things happen.

Playon
Club Player

C7 bailed up Richo at the airport (note airport) and asked him if we were interested in Rockliff.
Richo basically said we'll look at everyone.. So cant rule him out

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

My preference is we go for Jack Steele.

Give GWS our pick 9 and get JS + a pick around 20 back to use on a good kid in the draft.

On the points system that would value Steele at about pick #36.

Seems fair imo.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
The day Rockliff gets 750k x 5 you'd better look out the window, it'll be the day you see a flying pink elephant. Won't happen, best he'll get is 500-550k x 3

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Stephen Theodore"][quote="Con Gorozidis"][quote="coopergrech"]Cant believe people on here wouldnt want Rockliff, he is a gun. He would be our 2nd best midfielder, Jaegar has a dodgy as knee. Plus you cant have all too young kids in the same team, need some more midfield experience...[/quote]

Noone is saying we dont want him. People are saying it wouldnt be value. He is contracted in 2017 and wants $750k a year x 5. We would have to give up a LOT to get him in. Do you think Brisbane are going to let a contracted current captain go for free?[/quote]

The day Rockliff gets 750k x 5 you'd better look out the window, it'll be the day you see a flying pink elephant. Won't happen, best he'll get is 500-550k x 3[/quote]

Rockliff would get 750,000 for five years easily. He is a gun. $550,000 for 3 years is a joke.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:
Rockliff would get 750,000 for five years easily. He is a gun. $550,000 for 3 years is a joke.
The problem is that he's not that good. That's an elite player's price... a Gary Ablett jnr or Nick Riewoldt in their prime price. The best of the best. I don't mean to knock the guy... he is very good but he's not in the top 10 in the AFL.

You get a player like Rockcliff at that price... you not only have to give up something e.g. pick, player etc but you inevitability lose another good player down the line because they get squeezed out of the cap.

I'm starting go really cold on this draft in a good player idea. Whoever's name comes up... it seems as though you have to pay overs to get them for a start, and pay them above what they're worth. The more established they are the more you get rorted.

I'd rather pay higher amounts to our proven loyal guns then flick it over to a guy like Rockcliff (nothing personal intended) that's jumping off a sinking ship for money and success.

It seems to me that the best you can do is pay less overs for a guy that you think could become a gun ala a Josh Bruce