Does anyone else find Richo boring???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Re: Does anyone else find Richo boring???

You should have a chat with him one on one. Very quick witted. The players all seem to approve of him & with that many different personalities in the playing group surely they can't all be wrong? He does what he needs to do in the post match interviews.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

I think he's boring.

I don't even bother to tune in when he's speaking. He gives nothing.

But I'd argue that suggests he's much sharper than most, not the opposite. To be able to act like he could be f***ed giving the same cliched answers to the same cliched questions over and over again, and have supporters actually believe him - is not an easy act to perform.

If he speaks to the players and his staff the same way he speaks to the media on press conferences, then I'd be concerned. But realky, your have to be pretty dim to think that he does.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's not 'dim' nor boring.

If you think a coach needs to be a motivator then your knowledge of footy extends to watching 'sensational seventies' or Craig Willis intros...
Last edited by BigMart on Sun 10 Jul 2016 3:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

:lol: :lol: :lol:

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's not 'dim' nor boring.

If you think a coach needs to the motivator then your knowledge of footy extends to watching 'sensational seventies' or Craig Willis intros.

Ahh good old Craig AFL Willis. They'll keep rolling him out for grannies when he's well established in a nursing home in 20 years time.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

interesting thread and kudos to impatient sainter - not quite as bold as suggesting Rooey's past his use-by, but close!

He is a bit droney but I notice a few positive signs - 1) the media like him, always give him an easy ride and he answers their questions fully and clearly and without any side, 2) when they're interviewed after a game or on footy shows, the players always come out with little Richoisms - even Joey and Roo - like "he's gonna be a ripper for us" or "he's a beauty" or "we pride ourselves on our pressure, that's our trademark" or whatever, which certainly suggests they're listening to him and taking everything he says on board, and 3) he's not a wanker.

As an aside, when he's in the coaching box, watch out for the pen - if it's in his mouth, we're in trouble but if he puts it down, you beauty! -we're on a roll!

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:Darby Street great he will have us playing finals and winning flags in a jiffy then - because you think he is doing a good job!
Oh no we're definitely going to plummet down the ladder and need a new coach and a new rebuild because some nuff nuff on the internet and his wife aren't bedazzled by Richo's press conferences, anyone want my ticket to the game because I don't see the point... You spelt inpatient wrong...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Players didn't find him boring today

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
citywest

citywest wrote:
spert wrote:Seems like a nice bloke, but after the WCE game and last week's horrible failure, I am thinking the guy has serious problems in the motivational areas of coaching, and probably is really a battler when it comes to coaching at this level. I can only wish him well, but I don't think he will take us much further up the ladder.[/quote]
I know this is just a Fan Forum but people like you spert should be held accountable for their stupid comments. How could you possibly say the above when you consider that our trajectory has been on the up since Richo took over 3 years ago?

2014 - 4 wins & 18 losses @ 60.8% (18th).
2015 - 6 wins & 15 losses @ 78.4% (14th) plus a draw against Geelong.
2016 - 7 wins & 8 losses @ 87.5% (13th) plus there is 8 games to go.

If I was a moderator I would have deleted your post.
Updated.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Boredom is good.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Just warming the seat till Harvs is ready. Truth.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:Just warming the seat till Harvs is ready. Truth.
I hope not

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:Darby Street great he will have us playing finals and winning flags in a jiffy then - because you think he is doing a good job!
Oh no we're definitely going to plummet down the ladder and need a new coach and a new rebuild because some nuff nuff on the internet and his wife aren't bedazzled by Richo's press conferences, anyone want my ticket to the game because I don't see the point... You spelt inpatient wrong...

:D :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Gee whiz, I thought the OP was horseshit...

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Players didn't find him boring today
Yep he's definitely not motivating the players here is he BM.

I dont know if you heard the commentators that had been in the rooms before the game they said it was very quiet and laid back, very different. Thats how the game panned out really until Richo gave them a spray at 3/4 time.

I heard Ricky Stuart who coaches Canberra Raiders and played and beat North QLD Cowboys last night. The Cowboys had 6 of the best out for state of origin and the Raiders were expected to win at home. Stuart said he was proud of how his team turned up with such a professional approach and played well, given the games you are expected to win are often the hardest.

Very similiar to the Saints game in personnel and being expected to win, except we didnt play well until the last 1/4. Surely the coach has to be involved somewhere in this process to not let the players get ahead of themselves?

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

He's been pretty positive. He will be a good player for a long time for us.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

I hope not

spert
Saintsational Legend

I have my reservations about his coaching, but at least in pressers he could pull out a banjo and sing a song, or do some magic tricks don't you think?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How the hell would anyone here know what he's like. How many of you actually know him, spent time with him?!

You think his public persona isn't going to be anything other than professional and anything played with anything but a straight bat???

Playon
Club Player

I think they are commenting on his public persona.

However I happen to know that privately Richo likes to pretend he's a lumberjack and puts on women's clothing and hangs around in bars. Far from boring, he's ok

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

"Just warming the seat till Harvs is ready. Truth" ? I sure hope not. History has proved that few champion players turn out to be premiership coaches. Leigh Matthews excepted? :(

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:"Just warming the seat till Harvs is ready. Truth" ? I sure hope not. History has proved that few champion players turn out to be premiership coaches. Leigh Matthews excepted? :(
Unlike most examples Harvs has gone through a long, stable apprenticeship. Why anyone would 'hope not' I'm not sure. I hope that if he is a capable coach then he does coach us. As no one knows this why 'hope not'? Why assume a champion player that was an outstanding role model and puts every ounce of effort in to every thing he does, would fail as a coach?
We've appointed people with less of a resume before - basically every coach bar Jeans and Lyon.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:"Just warming the seat till Harvs is ready. Truth" ? I sure hope not. History has proved that few champion players turn out to be premiership coaches. Leigh Matthews excepted? :(
Malcolm Blight champion player, premiership coach of Adelaide. Dud coach with the Saints tho :cry: :cry:

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for all the reasonable responses ensuring us/me that Richo is quite a charismatic switched on guy and not that boring model he rolls out to the media. Sounds like he has the caught a bit of the Ross Lyons bug, he was very robotic and uptight originally with the media. Lets hope over time Richo grows the confidence to show a bit more of his true self.

derby Street
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:Thanks for all the reasonable responses ensuring us/me that Richo is quite a charismatic switched on guy and not that boring model he rolls out to the media. Sounds like he has the caught a bit of the Ross Lyons bug, he was very robotic and uptight originally with the media. Lets hope over time Richo grows the confidence to show a bit more of his true self.
What was your wifes thoughts on Ross Lyin (?) time at the Saints? Has she mentioned anything about Rob Harvey's interview performance?