One on one

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

One on one

There was about 10-15 mins where the ball was flying in.

Contests were immense, with practically every battle falling our defenders way.

I know Redpath was injured late, but he and Boyd...considering the height advantage, well.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: One on one

The guys seemed to have telepathy in defence, the ball got sent out to one guy clear in the goal square who swept it away.
He was on his own, so obviously the Doggies forwards had one extra, but our guys had the confidence in their team-mates to win the one on ones and get it clear.
Got something special going on there. Incredible discipline and desperation. Bloody nice work down back.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The only concern I have, is that sort of low scoring pressure reminds me of Ross Lyin days.
75 shouldn't be a winning score. Need to kick +100 at least.
Especially with goal kickers like Skunk, Bruce :? , Rooey, Paddy coming back, Mav... :wink:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Milne
Club Player

Give Kudos for Richo in concocting that gameplan.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:Give Kudos for Richo in concocting that gameplan.
By design or fate?

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

WellardSaint wrote:The only concern I have, is that sort of low scoring pressure reminds me of Ross Lyin days.
Especially with goal kickers like Skunk, Bruce :? , Rooey, Paddy coming back, Mav... :wink:
Get real! This was a great win but, obviously, not good enough for you!!!

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We were undersized in defence but won defensively. It means you need to adjust your game plan and brings about lower scoring against teams with several tall forward options.

Perhaps if we had Fisher and Carlisle as defensive generals we would've kicked 5 more goals.

Happy?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:The only concern I have, is that sort of low scoring pressure reminds me of Ross Lyin days.
They brought us down to their level.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I loved that on the occasions that we turned it over, and there were a few, we seemed to double the effort until we got it back. That's the sign of maturity that we need to see, that's the sign that we are becoming the juggernaut!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I reckon we can pile on goals quicker than just about anyone when we are on.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think it helped that neither Boyd nor Redpath looked like they could read the flight of the ball properly and Demps (in particular) but also, Robbo, Gilbo and Gears just kept picking off marks brilliantly. Dogs play a funny style where they have lots of guys back but then often don't have anyone to really kick to forward. They try and run it from the back to the goal keeping possession but if you can stop their rebound in their tracks like we did last night they don't really have a get out option. I suppose Boyd is meant to be that but he's not having much impact yet.

I thought we worked it out of the back well last night. Players were running so hard they provided good options for the backs to hit up and we were able to move it well which kept the dogs from shutting is in our back half.

As someone pointed out here, it was when Hickey went out of the ruck that they got an unstoppable momentum going. Hicks is fast becoming our most important player along with Steven. When they fire they gives us great drive out of the middle and the oppo on the back foot.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Milne wrote:Give Kudos for Richo in concocting that gameplan.
By design or fate?
It depends on whether or not you like the coach.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Saint_J
Club Player

due to the type of game it was hard non-stop pressure, high scoring wasn't an option unless it opened up. but to the boys credit the pressure never stopped. plus we missed about 5 easy goals which would have taken us over 100..... (if added to our total 75). it was in no way an RL style game. we're a free flowing side now thank god. our game atm reminds me more of Collingwood 2010

lets bury RL he's the past, AR is the future.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Saint_J wrote:
due to the type of game it was hard non-stop pressure, high scoring wasn't an option unless it opened up. but to the boys credit the pressure never stopped. plus we missed about 5 easy goals which would have taken us over 100..... (if added to our total 75). it was in no way an RL style game. we're a free flowing side now thank god. our game atm reminds me more of Collingwood 2010

lets bury RL he's the past, AR is the future.
all valid points.
It's the nature of a forum that we have differimg opinions.
A forum on Star Trek movies would have folks arguing over having a Fast n Furious director doing the latest one.
Forums are about discussion.