Why do people want to trade Longer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Why do people want to trade Longer?

He carried our ruck last year and has only been sidelined because he battled injury this year. The club was keen to re-sign him so he must be valued internally. You reckon other clubs will be jumping over each other to get him if we don't want him?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
realdeal
Club Player

Re: Why do people want to trade Longer?

A Richmond supporter mate of mine said he'd trade Brandon Ellis for Longer in a straight swap..

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Most likely because we have 4 genuine ruckman and we pretty much can't even play 2 together in the same team.

He has trade value.

We need a Forward/Ruckman and 2 genuine rucks imo, not 4 ruckmen. Carlisle will also be able to do a bit of rucking next year.

Longer, and Hickey for that matter, wont want to be playing first ruck for Sandy week in week out when other clubs with money to spend are looking for a good young ruckmen.

I hope they all have injury free seasons next year, all paly well, and their value will only increase.

Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:A Richmond supporter mate of mine said he'd trade Brandon Ellis for Longer in a straight swap..
Ellis and there 3rd round and its a done deal or

Longer for Richmonds 2nd on traded to GWS for Jack Steele or James Stewart.

Upgrade Holmes to the Senior list and draft another young ruckmen or forward/ruckman who can take an overhead mark.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Because he holds the most value amongst those who we can afford to leave.....

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

What if Hickey gets injured? Or can we guarantee that won't happen for the next 5 years??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Playon
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:What if Hickey gets injured? Or can we guarantee that won't happen for the next 5 years??
Pierce is also there

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Cause we wouldnt get much for Josh Saunders.

Playon
Club Player

ctqs wrote:He carried our ruck last year and has only been sidelined because he battled injury this year. The club was keen to re-sign him so he must be valued internally. You reckon other clubs will be jumping over each other to get him if we don't want him?
Well some rate him higher than Hickey or rather will end up being better. Its not my opinion but who knows, he's on our list and I'm happy to wait and see.

I guess the reason some are willing to trade him is due to we have plenty of rucks. Sydney being the only other side that has as many pure ruckmen on their list

We can only play one per game and we need midfielders, whether we trade one in the future remains to be seen, our list will change and keep changing

Wombat15
Club Player

Yeah i think its a bit like the Ross and Hickey rumors last year. its purely currency based because you could easily trade him to someone like Richmond or GC and get something good back in return. Also other factors like lack of game time and things like that play its part also. the other issue is next season where does he fit in the plans? Hickey isnt overly versatile as in playing as a decent forward. because that does raise issues with Paddy as well. now to try and cut a long story short. how can you fit;Paddy, Roo, Carlisle, Bruce, Longer, Hickey and whoever fills out the FB spot whether thats Marchbank, Hurley or Goddard all in the same side? Considering Cars and Bruce can pinch hit.
Hes too talented to be a backup, was a high draft pick and why would he want to be a back up?
I mean its a good problem to have and they compliment eachother nicely. Hickey is better around the ground (compared to longer) and Longer is a fantastic tap ruck. but with the Interchange cap, the fact that it will be hard to fit them both in the side and how the forward line will be structured does cause problems.
overall i think its an interesting situation to be in. But the track record for bulk stock rucks isnt great. Currie, Jacobs, Zac Smith, Mumford theres a whole bunch of em.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

He has trade currency. I doubt there is anyone else on our list ( not anyone we want or need to hang onto) that has his appeal to other sides. Billy has potential, and like most ruckman needs time, but I can't help feeling Lewie may have gone past him.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
supersaints
Club Player

People want to trade him because they have absolutely no clue

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

supersaints wrote:People want to trade him because they have absolutely no clue

You might be onto something there.

stonecold
SS Life Member

ctqs wrote:He carried our ruck last year and has only been sidelined because he battled injury this year. The club was keen to re-sign him so he must be valued internally. You reckon other clubs will be jumping over each other to get him if we don't want him?
Cause some fans are just that, fans!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

No one wants to trade Longer. Its just speculation on who has enough trade value to fill our bigger holes.

Maybe the club is just tyre kicking but we look to be going to trade someone or future picks.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

He has been re-signed because we need ruck depth.
Also, it shows we rate him, but if someone needs a ruckman and makes the right offer we'll jump at it!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

Because they don't understand that you need backup ruckman if your number one ruckman gets injured.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he's happy to play as a back up... And play in the seconds for a mediocre salary.

Ok

If we would rather swap a back up player than another first 18 player in Which we have more need?...

What makes him better than Holmes?

supersaints
Club Player

BigMart wrote:If he's happy to play as a back up... And play in the seconds for a mediocre salary.

Ok

If we would rather swap a back up player than another first 18 player in Which we have more need?...

What makes him better than Holmes?
Well he was more than happy to sign for two seasons so that answers your own question, our ruck numbers are about average or even low compared to most sides, and I have posted the comparisons on other threads. So if you havnt read them please do.

IMO mid size players are a dime a dozen some will make it some won't, we will keep recruiting them until we get the best mix

Last year almost everyone wanted to piss off Hickey, now that would have been a great move wouldn't it? Hickey had a bad year , Longer took over and visa versa.

Although I don't attend the VFL ( I know you do) the other week they actually played three ruckman in the one side , I don't think that's because they think they need three ruckman in the one side , it's a little thing called fast tracking development to continue to develop players and see what they can do around the ground.

As for Holmes personally I'd prefer to keep him but his problem ( from what I have seen on TV replay is that he doesn't have natural football nouse and it's about where he should go.

Longer stated himself he is happy to fight for the number one position, the club his happy to give him two years ... You need to get over it....Rucks are a valuable commodity if Longer does decide to leave we I am sure we will recruit another young ruckman to develop in his place

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

He was happy to resign because he is not a listed free agent and has done little to set his value any higher. He has massive potential. Just like Stanley did. What did he get? 2 years!! Watch in comparison what Gresham gets for his next contract.

#gosaintas
Club Player

He's been resigned because that ups his trade value. There is no point in having both Longer and Hickey on the list. One should be traded. We need mids, not an extra ruckman playing for Sandy.. If Hickey gets injured, Pierce comes in. If Pierce goes down then Holmes plays.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

would you trade longer for either

marchbank or steele?

good ruckmen are a valuable commodity, there are back up big men aplenty... and you only need 1 top line ruckman.

other top line ruckmen will not sit and wait for an injury

problem with Longer... he cannot play forward... other problem... he struggles to get a kick in the twos

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Richmond might cough up their first round draft pick for Billy.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

He was poor for most of last year. He has a poor leap, average technique and didn't give us first use. Round the ground at the drop he was even worse. He can't find the ball on the ground and when he does his disposal is average at best. He couldn't take a mark forward or back and is too slow. His one asset is his intensity and above average defensive work which can create space for our midfielders to rove from the oppn ruckman.
Unfortunately he is generally not rated by other clubs recruiting staff because they are looking for a modern profile, mobile even quick, highly skilled player. He will be difficult to trade for anything of value.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gee that Rhys Stanley goes ok.