Controversial decisons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Controversial decisons

Impatient Sainter wrote:
BigMart wrote:The stand alone VFL club thing is a complete non issue. The relationship between the two clubs is important though.

We'd have been absolutely non competitive in the VFL if we stood alone, and a non competitive environment is never good for development.

We've been somewhat competitive due to the non listed players who perform week in week out
Harrison and Cockie over the years have been sensational in the VFL winning 7 B&Fs between them as bull midfielders
We wouldnt be discussing this if the club had the finances to run their own VFL side - Sandi would have struggled to remain viable in the VFL and we would have taken on all there top up players. It only suits both clubs because the Saints are the AFL porpers!
What exactly is a porper?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Selling plugger.

Swaping Greene to the dawks mid season for a couple of real duds.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Plugger was not sold Saynta. You should know this.

Saint supporter since '62
older saint
SS Life Member

Most covered on here so far but couple others:

- selecting unfit Kosi and Hamill(?) in 2006 elimination final v Melbourne
- appointing Malcolm Blight as coach and then replacing him with GT who talked blight into coaching originally
- drafting rob Malone, when offered Dean Kemp as a trade for that pick

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Plugger was not sold Saynta. You should know this.

According to Kenny Sheldon he was.

And I quote.

" I loved the place.
We had a difference of opinion. I wanted to keep players and if they were going to sell a player I would rather it was Nicky instead of Tony.

But the club was adamant it would be Tony.

Within 12 months he was in Sydney."

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

continuing on after 1966. should have said thank you very muching for coming, and retired from the comp. winners.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
loris
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:continuing on after 1966. should have said thank you very muching for coming, and retired from the comp. winners.
Sure would have saved us lots of angst over the years DS !

Rosco
Club Player

St kilda and university would be mythical football entities, at least for under 50s. Interesting.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

So as you may have guessed by now, the purpose of this thread was to help me stumble on questions for the Saintsational Council questionnaire RE events that i may have forgotten about over the last 16 years.

The starting point is The trade period just before we appointed Malcolm Blight to now.

If anyone has a particular question or event they would like to see added into the survey, now is the time to make requests

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:
BigMart wrote:The stand alone VFL club thing is a complete non issue. The relationship between the two clubs is important though.

We'd have been absolutely non competitive in the VFL if we stood alone, and a non competitive environment is never good for development.

We've been somewhat competitive due to the non listed players who perform week in week out
Harrison and Cockie over the years have been sensational in the VFL winning 7 B&Fs between them as bull midfielders
We wouldnt be discussing this if the club had the finances to run their own VFL side - Sandi would have struggled to remain viable in the VFL and we would have taken on all there top up players. It only suits both clubs because the Saints are the AFL porpers!
I think it is this. A type of porpoise. Porpoises are a group of fully aquatic marine mammals that are sometimes referred to as mereswine, all of which are classified under the family Phocoenidae, parvorder Odontoceti (toothed whales). There are six extant species of porpoise. They are small toothed whales that are very closely related to oceanic dolphins. The most obvious visible difference between the two groups is that porpoises have shorter beaks and flattened, spade-shaped teeth distinct from the conical teeth of dolphins. Porpoises, and other cetaceans, belong to the clade Cetartiodactyla with even-toed ungulates, and their closest living relatives are the hippopotamuses, having diverged from them about 40 million years ago. Why was the dolphin depressed? Because his life had no porpoise. Thank you very much. I'm here all week. I recommend the mixed grill!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

I think it is this. A type of porpoise. Porpoises are a group of fully aquatic marine mammals that are sometimes referred to as mereswine, all of which are classified under the family Phocoenidae, parvorder Odontoceti (toothed whales). There are six extant species of porpoise. They are small toothed whales that are very closely related to oceanic dolphins. The most obvious visible difference between the two groups is that porpoises have shorter beaks and flattened, spade-shaped teeth distinct from the conical teeth of dolphins. Porpoises, and other cetaceans, belong to the clade Cetartiodactyla with even-toed ungulates, and their closest living relatives are the hippopotamuses, having diverged from them about 40 million years ago. Why was the dolphin depressed? Because his life had no porpoise. Thank you very much. I'm here all week. I recommend the mixed grill!

:D :wink:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Ross topping up over and over on bit players (peake, gamble, c gardiner, polo etc)
Ross not playing youth enough (eg, Steven/armitage/lynch etc)

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The decision to withdraw dressing room passes from the players in 1911. As everyone will recall, this led to the players strike.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Winmar7
Club Player

Tim Watson, Tony Francis and Damian Monkhorst, as well as a few Richmond rejects along the way

It also broke my heart seeing Nicky in Bulldogs colours :(

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Moving to Seaford must rank as one of the worst. If it was over six poker machines, as has been reported, then Archie Fraser should be sued for his incompetence. I believe by moving into the invisible back blocks of a "suburban no man's land", we were robbed of exposure, sponsorship dollars, supporters and members. What's the bet that once we move back to Moorabbin, all those factors will improve. Throw in a better stadium deal and our future is looking much more secure. Farewell to Seaford and good riddance!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Playon
Club Player

Not paying Jarryd Allen isn't one of our proudest moments. In fact it was a disgrace and he was conned

FOUR years after suffering a career-ending injury playing for St Kilda, Jarryd Allen has had hip replacement surgery and been left disillusioned, frustrated and out of pocket several thousand dollars by his former club.

Since Allen's forced retirement at just 21, because of a hip injury, the AFL Players Association has negotiated better financial outcomes for young players whose careers are ended by injury.

Forced to retire in 2009 after three unsuccessful operations, Allen agreed to spend 2010 on the Saints' rookie list, allowing the club to pay the final year of his contract outside its salary cap.

Agreeing to that favour meant he became a ''delisted'' player rather than a ''retired'' one, a technicality that caused difficulties later when he sought compensation from the club.

Allen called the club several times before he had surgery to case his hip joint with aluminium in October 2010, but received no reply despite text messages promising a call back. He also sent a letter detailing the operation and seeking advice on his rehabilitation, but received no response.

Rest of the story at
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/h ... 23zu4.html

stonecold
SS Life Member

Trading Jack Billings!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Furphy
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:

Sounds fishy to me... :P