Selwood legacy there for all to see

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Club Player

Re: Selwood legacy there for all to see

Saying what exactly? That despite being a wonderful player, just like Kevin Bartlett he has exposed a flaw in the rules of our game that the powers that be are to gutless to recognise? And now the copy cats are so numerous that the law/interpretation should change. I do not like the staging, the deliberate attempt to gain an advantage by an artificial but apparently legal motion. So I believe change is Necessary.
It appears saints66 you do not. I am interested in why, not a straw man argument about how good...... Etc Selwood is.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:would any of you be saying those things about Selwood if he was a three time premiership captain of St Kilda
I'd have more tolerance of his playing for frees. That's not my beef with him specifically anyway. He's found a way to use the rules to his advantage and until they're changed people will copy him.
My beef is with his whinging and pouty complaining. He not only plays the rules but whinges when it doesn't go his way. Whinger when it doesn't go Geelong's way. Can't stand that. A whinger is a whinger.

saints66
Club Player

6621104 wrote:Saying what exactly? That despite being a wonderful player, just like Kevin Bartlett he has exposed a flaw in the rules of our game that the powers that be are to gutless to recognise? And now the copy cats are so numerous that the law/interpretation should change. I do not like the staging, the deliberate attempt to gain an advantage by an artificial but apparently legal motion. So I believe change is Necessary.
It appears saints66 you do not. I am interested in why, not a straw man argument about how good...... Etc Selwood is.
Appearances can be deceiving, I dont like staging for free kicks any more than you. Rooey use to do a bit of that in his early days when he would go under the ball and fall forward. As he has got stronger he has been more able to stand his ground in a pack. Many opposition supporters disapproved of this and many felt it was a blot on his game. He has since proven to be one of the bravest champion players of the game.

The umpires are awake to these things and are not paying them as much as they once did. Thomas has not woken up to that just yet but he will. Change will come just like the deliberate out of bounds and next year the deliberate rushed behind. Good players adapt to the rules and more importantly the interpretation of the rules. It might look bad to you as a purist of the game but often competitive players will do anything to win even bend the rules. Whinging is part of that. Just look at Hodge, another champion he uses it to great effect. Maybe we should go back to drop kicks and position play and everyone wear netball vests to keep them in their place and not sneak out the back for easy goals.

Selwood, like Rooey is a champion of the game and has proven that he is as brave and fearless as they come. Maybe if the tackler tackled correctly there would be less chance of him getting away with it. I only saw bits of the Preliminary but I did not see him do that I just saw a champion playerslifting his team just like Rooey has done so many times for us.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
6621104 wrote:Saying what exactly? That despite being a wonderful player, just like Kevin Bartlett he has exposed a flaw in the rules of our game that the powers that be are to gutless to recognise? And now the copy cats are so numerous that the law/interpretation should change. I do not like the staging, the deliberate attempt to gain an advantage by an artificial but apparently legal motion. So I believe change is Necessary.
Appearances can be deceiving, I dont like staging for free kicks any more than you. Rooey use to do a bit of that in his early days when he would go under the ball and fall forward. As he has got stronger he has been more able to stand his ground in a pack. Many opposition supporters disapproved of this and many felt it was a blot on his game. He has since proven to be one of the bravest champion players of the game.

The umpires are awake to these things and are not paying them as much as they once did. Thomas has not woken up to that just yet but he will. Change will come just like the deliberate out of bounds and next year the deliberate rushed behind. Good players adapt to the rules and more importantly the interpretation of the rules. It might look bad to you as a purist of the game but often competitive players will do anything to win even bend the rules. Whinging is part of that. Just look at Hodge, another champion he uses it to great effect. Maybe we should go back to drop kicks and position play and everyone wear netball vests to keep them in their place and not sneak out the back for easy goals.

Selwood, like Rooey is a champion of the game and has proven that he is as brave and fearless as they come. Maybe if the tackler tackled correctly there would be less chance of him getting away with it. I only saw bits of the Preliminary but I did not see him do that I just saw a champion playerslifting his team just like Rooey has done so many times for us.
This is a great post - you should turn up here at post more often Saints66 :D

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:

Agree with all of it except for the bit about the whinging. It's ugly and a blot on any player IMO.

saints66
Club Player

thanks @moods, I use to post a fair bit several years ago and have some great barneys with one of our great posters that got banned and has since moved on.

My love for the Saints has not faulted since 1960.

Could not log on for a long time because of some mix up with my ID and password, but they are back working again.

saints66
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
saints66 wrote:

Agree with all of it except for the bit about the whinging. It's ugly and a blot on any player IMO.

No argument there @st.byron and it looks like Richo does not like it either as I dont see Saints players doing it, they just get on with the game and get ready for the next contest. A great sign for the future.

Club Player

Facts indicate Selwood does something no other player in the history of the game has done. Many players have been as courageous, Scott West was one. Selwood has now received more free kicks than West, in 100 fewer games. Most of them will be for head high tackles. He is not a giraffe. It is not an optical illusion, everyone can see that as soon as he is tackled he raises his arm to create the high tackle as the tacklers arm slides high. He contributes to the infringement. It is time this, as well as the dropping to the knees was recognised for what it is - as not being in the spirit of the contest.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saints66
Club Player

Look @6621104 I dont like him ducking either but he might do that occasionally just like many other players. Most of the time that I see him get a free from a head high tackle it is because he has gone in hard at the ball and some opponent has not been quite strong enough to tackle him in the correct way. He raises his arms when he is tackled because that is how players are coached and trained, to free their arms, including our Saints players I understand you dont like him and his competitive nature all I can say is I wish we had drafted him in 2006 but Geelong had a pick before us and have benefited from his leadership while we have looked on as perennial bridesmaids.

You would add some validity to your factual claims if you included some sources for your statistics. I look forward to that.

saint3d
Club Player

#gosaintas
Club Player

He's a blight on the game.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:would any of you be saying those things about Selwood if he was a three time premiership captain of St Kilda
Yep.
I hate the way that Armo propels himself forward when he feels a touch from behind. I don't like the way Jack Lonie raises his arm like Selwood/Puopolo/Shuey style.
Play to the whistle, not for the whistle.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
Yep.
I hate the way that Armo propels himself forward when he feels a touch from behind. I don't like the way Jack Lonie raises his arm like Selwood/Puopolo/Shuey style.
Play to the whistle, not for the whistle.
Yes that habit of Armo had always annoyed me. I notice he didn't resort to it as much this season & last season. Maybe Richo has told him to cut that out of his game.