Steele requests trade

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Re: Steele requests trade

Does this mean Dunstan is under the pump a little?

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

stkfc1 wrote:Very good news. Carlise, Freeman and now Steele. We are seeing the trickle become a flood as we are a destination club.
At the moment we are still only a destination club for players struggling to get a game - Savage, Bruce, Membrey, Freeman and Steele all couldn't hold down a regular spot at their original clubs and the lure of the Saints was the promise of a regular senior game. Carlisle the obvious exception , but let's face it, he just wanted to get out of Bomberland and we happened to offer the most money , longest contract and the promise of playing back in defence where he feels most comfortable.

Contrast that to guys who are established young guns - Treloar, JoM, Mitchell - none seriously look at the Saints as a destination- but rather as a club that their managers use to help them drive up their market value and provide some competitive tension if there aren't enough 'power club' suitors.

Moving back to Moorabin, a better balance sheet hopefully with a new stadium deal, and some regular finals footy is what's required before the established guns start nominating us.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
longtimesaint
Club Player

The strong teams all have more players trotting through the midfield.
It just means more competition for places which is good for the team.

One year will be our year
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Too early to tell if he'll be a gun.
Not yet 21. 17 games. Still early in his development.

2014 draft pick #24 via GWS academy. That gives us picks 21, 22 and 24 from the 2014 draft on our list. (Hugh Goddard and D-Mac)

187 cm, 88kg.

From the GWS website :

"He won All-Australian honours as NSW/ACT's MVP in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Finished equal seventh in the 3-km time trial in 10:11, recorded an equal-sixth best 15.1 in the beep test and scored 26/30 in the kicking test."

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Carlton apparently were in the hunt for Steele and were disappointed. If they landed him they were going to announce it with this full page ad:

Rosco
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Carlton apparently were in the hunt for Steele and were disappointed. If they landed him they were going to announce it with this full page ad:

That's top shelf

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

competition for Maverick

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
damienc
Club Player

Zed wrote:
stkfc1 wrote:Very good news. Carlise, Freeman and now Steele. We are seeing the trickle become a flood as we are a destination club.
At the moment we are still only a destination club for players struggling to get a game - Savage, Bruce, Membrey, Freeman and Steele all couldn't hold down a regular spot at their original clubs and the lure of the Saints was the promise of a regular senior game. Carlisle the obvious exception , but let's face it, he just wanted to get out of Bomberland and we happened to offer the most money , longest contract and the promise of playing back in defence where he feels most comfortable.

Contrast that to guys who are established young guns - Treloar, JoM, Mitchell - none seriously look at the Saints as a destination- but rather as a club that their managers use to help them drive up their market value and provide some competitive tension if there aren't enough 'power club' suitors.

Moving back to Moorabin, a better balance sheet hopefully with a new stadium deal, and some regular finals footy is what's required before the established guns start nominating us.

Sorry I can't agree with you at all.

Savage, Bruce and Membrey may not have been able to get a game with their former respective clubs but they have all been absolute stars for the Saints.

Who cares about their past history? Other clubs lost when they let them all go but we gained some great players who have all made a substantial contribution to this year's improvement.

Surely that is all that matters from our point of view? Freeman is coming back from serious injury and needs time. Steele looks very promising, Only played 17 games but showed he has potential.

Carlisle by all accounts is raring to go and prove a point. It's all good news from where I am sitting.

stkfc1
Club Player

Zed wrote:

Totally agree. Guess that was my point. We are starting to look like a club you want to be at. Everything is moving in the right direction because the club, for the first time in a long time, is all on the same page. It has to start somewhere and while yes, it is some fringe players now, it won't be long till the bigger fish swim to our pond.

Gershwin
Club Player

st.byron wrote:Too early to tell if he'll be a gun.
Not yet 21. 17 games. Still early in his development.

2014 draft pick #24 via GWS academy. That gives us picks 21, 22 and 24 from the 2014 draft on our list. (Hugh Goddard and D-Mac)

187 cm, 88kg.

From the GWS website :

"He won All-Australian honours as NSW/ACT's MVP in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships. Finished equal seventh in the 3-km time trial in 10:11, recorded an equal-sixth best 15.1 in the beep test and scored 26/30 in the kicking test."
Emma Quayle had Steele ranked as 12 in 2014. North Melbourne bid 15 for him which meant GWS had to take him as their next pick at 24. He is worth next years 2nd round pick for sure.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saints66
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:According to the SEN player ratings he has never played a better game than 6/10. Generally a 5/10.

Unproven over his first two years with obviously good potential but worth at very best a low second round pick
you may be right but has he ever been in their best 18. Has always started on the bench and hd to wait for a chance to get on. When he came on he played with spirit but they have so many talented mids that he never really got much of an extended go.

He will at the Saints and he will blossom.

Welcome Jack

saintbob
SS Life Member

Myron Gaines wrote:This guy is an animal. He will be a great get & slot straight into our best 22.
Agree totally, will be a great addition to our midfield and can kick goals as well

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote:This guy is an animal. He will be a great get & slot straight into our best 22.
Who is he going to displace? I get that he's jumping ship in the hopes of getting a game. Even so I hope he's made to earn his stripes.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Interesting the afl website article saying that he is being looked at to complement our inside midfielders like Armo and Dunstan with the outside runners in Steven Billings and Ross....I always think of Ross as predominantly inside.

Nee!
Myron Gaines
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Who is he going to displace? I get that he's jumping ship in the hopes of getting a game. Even so I hope he's made to earn his stripes.
Steele will settle in on a forward flank / bench & become a midfield rotation. In terms of replacing a player the name that immediately comes to mind is Wright. Steele has the versatility to play forward. He's a strong mark, tackler & is an absolute running machine which gives him the capacity to play midfield.

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I just read where Pickett Ahern and Stewart are all expected to leave GWS as well. We should have a go for Paul Ahern, fast mid, Victorian.
i heard about pickett and i hoped about ahern being available . ahern is a freak he is rory sloane with harletts kicking ability.
i think next year first rounder and third could get it done.for all three. could be a bargain. but risky but if you youtube all three players its worth the risk

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
To the top
SS Life Member

So if you look at 2016 and predict a side viz:-

Fisher Goddard White
Roberton Carlisle Gilbert
Riewoldt Armitage Montagna
Billings Bruce Acres
Gresham McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven
Weller Ross Newnes Freeman

Then you add Dempster, McKenzie, Webster, Geary and Longer.

And now Steele - plus Pick 10.

As I have put previously, we are now batting well into the 20's and heading to the 30's.

So some are going to be unlucky - but conversely we are building competition for places and depth.

Now for structure - and some depth with our structure.

And to realise that 3 of the players in the named 22 are veterans.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Maybe offer pick 10 for him and Will Hoskin-Elliot.
They should both be starting midfielders for us and Hoskin-Elliot has the potential to be an absolute star, IMO.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I just read where Pickett Ahern and Stewart are all expected to leave GWS as well. We should have a go for Paul Ahern, fast mid, Victorian.
i heard about pickett and i hoped about ahern being available . ahern is a freak he is rory sloane with harletts kicking ability.
i think next year first rounder and third could get it done.for all three. could be a bargain. but risky but if you youtube all three players its worth the risk
GWS can't get Pickett out the door quick enough. He's given zero s***s with his rehab & lazy on the track. I think he's Carlton bound.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

SinCitySainter wrote:Maybe offer pick 10 for him and Will Hoskin-Elliot.
They should both be starting midfielders for us and Hoskin-Elliot has the potential to be an absolute star, IMO.
WHE will be a Pie. His manager has already said they are his preference.

longtimesaint
Club Player

To the top wrote:So if you look at 2016 and predict a side viz:-

Fisher Goddard White
Billings Bruce Acres
Gresham McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven

As I have put previously, we are now batting well into the 20's and heading to the 30's.

So some are going to be unlucky - but conversely we are building competition for places and depth.

No room for Savage?
Also I don't know how you can leave Geary out of the best 22 -on last years form was never really beaten against the best small forwards in the AFL?
He will most likely be captain!

longtimesaint
Club Player

To the top wrote:So if you look at 2016 and predict a side viz:-

Fisher Goddard White
Billings Bruce Acres
Gresham McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven

No room for Savage?
I don't know how you could leave Geary out -He was one of the best small defenders in the AFL last year.
He will most likely be captain.

dals_da_bomb
Club Player

[quote="saintbrat"]competition for Maverick
[img]http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/938f ... 1fb5857264[/img][/quote]

There no competition!
Weller in a league of his own.

The Tiger and the Lion may be more powerful, but the Wolf does not perform in the circus.
Wombat15
Club Player

Myron Gaines wrote:
big_mac_evoy5 wrote:
GWS can't get Pickett out the door quick enough. He's given zero s***s with his rehab & lazy on the track. I think he's Carlton bound.
Getting Ahern and Steele would be very handy. Couldnt hurt to take a flyer on Ahern if thats what he has to offer.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

SinCitySainter wrote:Maybe offer pick 10 for him and Will Hoskin-Elliot.
The only attraction to WHE was his original draft position. If he was drafted at pick 40 he'd not even be close to being discussed.

He is soft and extremely outside, don't want and especially don't want to give up 10 for him with Steele.

I personally think next years first and a late 2016 first back for Steele is the way to go if we can't dislodge either Corr or a big name who we are in constant discussions with. Its a win for us of course but academy clubs now play by different rules and the 2017 first is worth more to them than 10 (or 16) this year.

Having said all of this, next years second would work. As would an upgraded third round pick (to a second this yeae) for a player like Eli.

Plenty of options and will be fascinating to watch it unfold.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!