Cam O'Shea

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Cam O'Shea

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/port-a ... 1af1856bd1

"Of O’Shea, who is expected to move to St Kilda, Davies said: “We thank Cam for his service over the past six seasons and wish him the very best with his future in footy. These decisions are always very difficult but we make them with a long-term view to our list management."

Apologies if this is elsewhere but has anyone heard anything about this? News to me... Is he a back flanker?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Cam O'Shea

Yes he is a third tall/flanker defender type. 193cm that we are rumoured to have been interested in in the past as Richo supposedly gets on with him really well.

If we use pick 61 our senior list is now full unless they delist a contract player as well as Fisher.

So it would most likely mean as a rookie selection. I can't imagine that we would rookie both Fisher and Cam though.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

Ah okay thanks saintsRrising, I hadn't twigged to the Richo connection...
Last edited by Harvey To Hayes on Sun 30 Oct 2016 5:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

How do we get him?
DFA, national draft or PSD?

Nee!
coopergrech
Club Player

They can get him as a DFA but then that would mean Fisher has to be cut atleast off the senior list and cant use pick 61. or they can just pick O'Shea in the main draft at pick 61.

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

Surprised we would take O'Shea, would have thought his type was the last thing we need with Roberton, Webster, Gilbert, Dempster and other medium defenders currently on the list.

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Joffa Burns wrote:Surprised we would take O'Shea, would have thought his type was the last thing we need with Roberton, Webster, Gilbert, Dempster and other medium defenders currently on the list.
Agreed

derby Street
Club Player

skeptic wrote:
Joffa Burns wrote:Surprised we would take O'Shea, would have thought his type was the last thing we need with Roberton, Webster, Gilbert, Dempster and other medium defenders currently on the list.
Agreed
No thanks, no improvement to our list - not a great kick either.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Though Dempster is most likely playing his last year in 2017.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 30 Oct 2016 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

So 13 games this year with Port - some very solid and they delist him?

So did Port lowball him with a contract which he declined to sign or was it a straight delist/don't want you situation?

Seems to suffer from inconsistency but had a great season in 2013 when Richo was at Port

Either way welcome to the Saints Cam!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

from 2013 I think.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Junior
Club Player

I was told before the last game of the season that O' Sheas manager had approached us and that he was not a priority. This was from an ITK.

Maybe the club have decided that he would be better value than pick 61 on the list.

Personally i do not see a need for him, he has a huge motor so maybe he could okay on a wing or as a taller onballer.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

6 years in the system? No thanks, don't need another third tall/flanker ! :oops:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Close call imo.

Out (5):
Delaney
Lee
Fisher
Gilbo -2017
Dempster 2017

In (4):
Carlisle
Brown
Goddard
Coughlan (R)

Might be worth considering

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:Close call imo.

Out (5):
Delaney
Lee
Fisher
Gilbo -2017
Dempster 2017

In (4):
Carlisle
Brown
Goddard
Coughlan (R)

Might be worth considering
Unless Gilbert retires he will still be here in 2018, and I seriously doubt he will retire, he only just turned 30

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

No thanks to O'Shea.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Dud

In red white and black from 73
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Think the Saintsational board should go over and see what they think about O'Shea on the BigFooty Port board

Most of them like him though do say that he has been a bit inconsistent the past two years - what I did find interesting was that he had a great year in 2013 when Richo was there and by all accounts was quite close to Richo - at the time some Port supporters thought he was on the verge of becoming elite then of course Richo left

Will be interested to see if Richo can have a positive effect on him and turn him around - he has good height and a super motor and his intercept skills are elite when on

If you have a look at his afl player ratings he did some decent jobs this year on some good forwards

'm not writing him off yet ....... if he indeed is coming

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

193 cm running defender.
Will be 25 in March next year.

Pick 52 in the 2010 draft. 81 games.
Played with Eastern Ranges as a junior. Vic Metro selection.

Played every game in 2013 and in the last three years has played 12, 10 and 13 games.

From the Port website :

"An excellent season for O'Shea, cementing himself in the first 22 and playing all 24 games in 2013 - including two finals. He was used in a variety of positions including in defence and running through the midfield. A 30 disposal, 2 goal performance against GWS in Round 12 earned him his first career Brownlow Votes"

"After a slow start to the season, O’Shea cemented his place in the AFL side with a string of 20+ possession games in the back half of 2014. Was omitted from the Power’s Round 23 clash against Fremantle in Perth because of match-ups, but returned to play a key role in the Power’s finals campaign."

"2015 followed a similar pattern to 2014, with O'Shea forcing his way into the AFL side in the back end of the season and keeping his place. Home games against GWS and Fremantle were two of O'Shea's best in 2015.

"On the fringe of the Power’s best 22, O’Shea played the final nine games last season (2015) when the side was hampered by injuries. He will need to improve his consistency if he is to cement his place as a first-choice defender. Importantly, O’Shea offers Port great versatility given his size and ability to run. He has the tools to become a regular at Alberton."

From AFL player ratings :
"Versatile defender who seems to always be on the fringe of selection without ever cementing his spot in the 22. Has had a much more consistent pre-season than in previous years and is doing everything he can to be in the back six full-time. "

Looks on the face of it to be the very embodiment of GOP, but who knows what else is at play with his performances at Port. Had his best season with Richo on the coaching panel. Still young enough to fit our list demographic. The right size to replace Dempster and Fish and if he can run could be worth a go.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Completely agree with the idea of a potential replacement for Dempster. Costs us nothing, so if it doesn't work out no drama. Little risk and potentially a decent reward. In terms of younger players, we lack depth here I think. So a yes for me, as the price is right.

Gershwin
Club Player

I think we need to pick at least three 18 year olds for list balance. 61 will be risky but would rather a kid than O'Shea.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Choppa
Club Player

Rooikie only in my opinion

damienc
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:Think the Saintsational board should go over and see what they think about O'Shea on the BigFooty Port board

Most of them like him though do say that he has been a bit inconsistent the past two years - what I did find interesting was that he had a great year in 2013 when Richo was there and by all accounts was quite close to Richo - at the time some Port supporters thought he was on the verge of becoming elite then of course Richo left

Will be interested to see if Richo can have a positive effect on him and turn him around - he has good height and a super motor and his intercept skills are elite when on

If you have a look at his afl player ratings he did some decent jobs this year on some good forwards

'm not writing him off yet ....... if he indeed is coming

You are on the money IMO. Well said.

damienc
Club Player

I am not really understanding all of the negative comments being thrown at Cam O'Shea.

If you look at this guy's past history he was consistently knocking on the door of Port's best 22 in every season he played.

He enjoyed a breakout year in 2013 when our coach was at the Power.

If O'Shea ends up at the Saints then Richo will probably be behind the decision given their past history.

He is exactly what we need down back: a tall, versatile, defender who reads the play well and, at a pinch, could go in the midfield. Besides we get him as a DFA.

I don't understand the negativity towards O'Shea in the same way I don't understand why some people think Kobe Stevens was not a good pick up.

The Bulldogs had a stellar first half of 2016 much of it due to Kobe's work in the midfield for the dogs. Then he was injured and couldn't force his way back into a settled midfield.

Poor form was not the reason. In any case I really back our coach, who has a fantastic history of getting the best out of players discarded by other clubs.

You couldn't get two better examples than Roberton and Membrey. So let's all just chill and trust our coach and club to do what they think is best.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

damienc wrote:I am not really understanding all of the negative comments being thrown at Cam O'Shea.

If you look at this guy's past history he was consistently knocking on the door of Port's best 22 in every season he played.

He enjoyed a breakout year in 2013 when our coach was at the Power.

If O'Shea ends up at the Saints then Richo will probably be behind the decision given their past history.

He is exactly what we need down back: a tall, versatile, defender who reads the play well and, at a pinch, could go in the midfield. Besides we get him as a DFA.

I don't understand the negativity towards O'Shea in the same way I don't understand why some people think Kobe Stevens was not a good pick up.

The Bulldogs had a stellar first half of 2016 much of it due to Kobe's work in the midfield for the dogs. Then he was injured and couldn't force his way back into a settled midfield.

Poor form was not the reason. In any case I really back our coach, who has a fantastic history of getting the best out of players discarded by other clubs.

You couldn't get two better examples than Roberton and Membrey. So let's all just chill and trust our coach and club to do what they think is best.
Or we could come on here and talk shite speculating on what might happen until those that make the actual decisions, make them, then we get to talk a bit more shite giving our opinions on the decisions.

That's how it is on a fan forum.

There is a lot of time to kill until the 2017 list model gets to strut it's stuff. I'm predicting a bit more shite will flow between now and then. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?